Fates Warning
The Assassin
Hooks In You
Other (please specify)

Total votes: 50
15.11.2009 - 01:52
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I am a big fan of this album, but I know "No Prayer..." is widely considered to be the worst Maiden album amongst Maiden fans. (discounting the Blaze era albums at least) And from speaking myself to fellow Maiden fans, this assumption seems to be correct. So, even those of you who don't really like the album, there must be a song/s you like from it surely? If so, which one is your favourite, and why?

Although I'm in the minority of Maiden fans who like all the tracks from this album, my fave has always been "Bring Your Daughter...To The Slaughter". For this album, the band wanted to produce a rawer, darker sound, and this song is the ultimate showing of that. The schlock horror feel of the song has a genuinely menacing air about it, and Janick plays a fittingly insane solo on it too! Definitely one of my fave Maiden tracks!
15.11.2009 - 02:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
No way I dunno, because there shood eb all, this emeotinaly means much for me trooly I can enjoy it in Sweden, realy my fav or secend fav album together whit Iron Maiden, but one song what I dont like is Bring Your Daughter ..... I prefere bruce Dickinson or orginal version
simply this album I love Holly Smoke, Tailgunner and Mother Russia best ewery somng its hight emotional level into muisc , lyrics and both togeher, it simply works perfectly, so I vnt vote because I cant choose and I cant get enought from this album maybe moust played album in my list dunno but in TOP 5 its defenetly, so simply I adore and love it, if I cold vote for all album I would vote for all album

Awesome lyrics how they are written each song seems they work so hard, realy hard.... dunno but seems bruce continued same way maybe lil softer in Tattoed Millionare
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.11.2009 - 02:31
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Bad English on 15.11.2009 at 02:12

No way I dunno, because there shood eb all, this emeotinaly means much for me trooly I can enjoy it in Sweden, realy my fav or secend fav album together whit Iron Maiden, but one song what I dont like is Bring Your Daughter ..... I prefere bruce Dickinson or orginal version
simply this album I love Holly Smoke, Tailgunner and Mother Russia best ewery somng its hight emotional level into muisc , lyrics and both togeher, it simply works perfectly, so I vnt vote because I cant choose and I cant get enought from this album maybe moust played album in my list dunno but in TOP 5 its defenetly, so simply I adore and love it, if I cold vote for all album I would vote for all album

Awesome lyrics how they are written each song seems they work so hard, realy hard.... dunno but seems bruce continued same way maybe lil softer in Tattoed Millionare

Yay! At last, someone agrees with me about the album.

I know a lot of people think "No Prayer..." was the moment when Maiden's material started getting weaker, but I don't agree. Its a much rawer, and visceral album than the previous 2 especially, and I'm glad Maiden decided to do something different, instead of just "7th Son Pt 2", or something like that, which they could have easily of done. I really like all the songs in their own way, and I do find it a very strong album. As for "Bring Your Daughter..." I prefer the Maiden version to Bruce's solo version. I found that to be a bit flat sounding compared to the Maiden version, which I find to be nastier (in a good way!) and heavier sounding.

It is great to see another lover of "No Prayer..." I thought it was only me!
15.11.2009 - 02:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Angelic Storm on 15.11.2009 at 02:31

Written by Bad English on 15.11.2009 at 02:12

Yay! At last, someone agrees with me about the album.

I know a lot of people think "No Prayer..." was the moment when Maiden's material started getting weaker, but I don't agree. Its a much rawer, and visceral album than the previous 2 especially, and I'm glad Maiden decided to do something different, instead of just "7th Son Pt 2", or something like that, which they could have easily of done. I really like all the songs in their own way, and I do find it a very strong album. As for "Bring Your Daughter..." I prefer the Maiden version to Bruce's solo version. I found that to be a bit flat sounding compared to the Maiden version, which I find to be nastier (in a good way!) and heavier sounding.

It is great to see another lover of "No Prayer..." I thought it was only me!

7th is weekest Bruce album weeker is only Killers
I love it , but fear of the dark is good to, even I love so much Prayer, thets make sFear of the Dark weeker, but after emotinaly good realise are lil weeker album, but its still werry good, even Blaze albums and Bruce come beck, Iron Maiden hanst realised bad n week album, and Iron maiden work whit lyrics, maybe Bruce ahs dep talant, like his solo albums there mesiage, same here, dunno not mny HM bands do it
I agree about what yous ay before, simply its wounderfull album , and good think is band simply live son domt try make something like whatever album, they simply do what they like moust, write muisc, drink booze and touring
----

15.11.2009 - 02:54
Konrad
Mormon Storm
Bring your daughter... is the most overrated Iron Maiden song of all time. I picked "no prayer..." but mother russia is also great.
----
Brujerizmo!
15.11.2009 - 05:21
Derwood
Written by Konrad on 15.11.2009 at 02:54

Bring your daughter... is the most overrated Iron Maiden song of all time. I picked "no prayer..." but mother russia is also great.

Scratching my head over this comment. "Bring Your Daughter..." is generally one of the most maligned non-Blaze Iron Maiden songs, along with "Can I Play With Madness."

Both of which are actually my favourite songs from their respective albums.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
15.11.2009 - 07:05
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Derwood on 15.11.2009 at 05:21

Scratching my head over this comment. "Bring Your Daughter..." is generally one of the most maligned non-Blaze Iron Maiden songs, along with "Can I Play With Madness."

Definitely! "Bring Your Daughter..." is a horribly neglected song, and has very rarely been played live apart from the "No Prayer..." and "Fear Of The Dark" tours. In fact, I think the only other time it's been played, was during a period of about a month in 2003. I've seen Maiden live 5 times, and only once have I seen it played live. Hardly a candidate for an "overrated" song...

@Bad English: I agree about "Fear Of The Dark" being a weaker album. It's not a bad album, but it is weak compared to the albums that came before it. This is because I consider "No Prayer..." to be their last classic era album. (1980-1990) That's not to say that I don't think "Brave New World" and "A Matter Of Life And Death" aren't classics either, because they are. But 1980-1990 was the period when they released a unbroken string of classic albums which was finally broken by "Fear Of The Dark".
15.11.2009 - 14:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Well IMO thinking and hoping IM will realise clasic era albums its bad, even they did ERA is end, no metetr how good album its wont be like classic, sometimes people to much live in past and IMO is one of fiew bands who all life play same muisc and never changes , but they are humans and we can ask them criate all time same level albums its not possible
----

15.11.2009 - 15:59
Konrad
Mormon Storm
Written by Angelic Storm on 15.11.2009 at 07:05

Written by Derwood on 15.11.2009 at 05:21

Definitely! "Bring Your Daughter..." is a horribly neglected song, and has very rarely been played live apart from the "No Prayer..." and "Fear Of The Dark" tours. In fact, I think the only other time it's been played, was during a period of about a month in 2003. I've seen Maiden live 5 times, and only once have I seen it played live. Hardly a candidate for an "overrated" song...

@Bad English: I agree about "Fear Of The Dark" being a weaker album. It's not a bad album, but it is weak compared to the albums that came before it. This is because I consider "No Prayer..." to be their last classic era album. (1980-1990) That's not to say that I don't think "Brave New World" and "A Matter Of Life And Death" aren't classics either, because they are. But 1980-1990 was the period when they released a unbroken string of classic albums which was finally broken by "Fear Of The Dark".

But didn't Bring your Daughter top the U.K. single charts longer than any other Iron Maiden song???!
----
Brujerizmo!
15.11.2009 - 16:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Konrad on 15.11.2009 at 15:59

But didn't Bring your Daughter top the U.K. single charts longer than any other Iron Maiden song???!

But charts, charts , there moust people opnium not only metlheads , those who say video maybe never hear all album
----

15.11.2009 - 16:07
Konrad
Mormon Storm
It doesn't matter. In my opinion, if the majority of people, whether metalheads ( a stupid term ) or non metal-listeners rank THAT song #1 beyond any other Iron maiden song, it's overrated. But...it's just my opinion so it really doesn't matter. I don't like this song, it's monotonous and not very melodic.
----
Brujerizmo!
15.11.2009 - 16:11
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Konrad on 15.11.2009 at 15:59

In fact, "Bring Your Daughter..." is so far the only Maiden single to top the UK singles chart.

Which I suppose makes it all the more strange that the song is so neglected at Maiden live shows. It obviously isn't a favourite either with the band, or the majority of fans. So even though it did get to number one, I still think it can't be called "overrated" seeing as it isn't generally regarded as a classic either by fans, or the band themselves. I actually can't think of another case where a band leaves it's biggest commercial hit out of most live shows. I actually think the song is very underrated, reason being, most fans don't rate it very highly at all.
15.11.2009 - 16:30
Konrad
Mormon Storm
I guess, amongst Maiden Fans, you're right. I was thinking more mainstream terms.
----
Brujerizmo!
15.11.2009 - 16:39
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Konrad on 15.11.2009 at 16:30

I guess, amongst Maiden Fans, you're right. I was thinking more mainstream terms.

I think it just really shows how much the band/fans think of "No Prayer..." when "Bring Your Daughter..." is the only song from the album which has been played live since the "Fear Of The Dark" tour. And even that was only played in about a months' worth of shows. I am surprised about how neglected the song is, especially seeing as it got to number one in the UK charts.
15.11.2009 - 20:56
Derwood

It comes down to the aggravating position so common in the metal scene that popular automatically equals bad. Fortunately, I'm old and cranky enough not to care. Some popular stuff is indeed bad, but some of it is also good. Hell, I even like CoB's last studio album.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
16.11.2009 - 07:04
Konrad
Mormon Storm
Written by Derwood on 15.11.2009 at 20:56

It comes down to the aggravating position so common in the metal scene that popular automatically equals bad. Fortunately, I'm old and cranky enough not to care. Some popular stuff is indeed bad, but some of it is also good. Hell, I even like CoB's last studio album.

I don't not like the song because it's popular. I don't like it because it's very monotonous and boring. But I agree with what you're saying...except for the COB part.
----
Brujerizmo!
16.11.2009 - 09:04
IronBlackZepp
I dont know if I can awnser this right now because I have not heard the album in a while, and out of all of the Iron Maiden albums, besides the Blaze era albums, I have listened to it the least. I will agree that it is a pretty solid album, and underrated. I do not know why it is so underrated actually, I guess it is a few steps down from 7th son, but it is still pretty good. I guess it comes down to the fact that people cant handle change, but then they will complain if things stay the same too long. But remember, people did not take Somewhere in time and 7th son well when they were first put out, but now they are loved by almost all Maiden fans. Many fans were getting used to Maiden's new stile, and then they put out No Prayer. That must have been like "What?!? I was just starting to really like their new stile, but now they go and put this out, its so raw sounding."

So you have to look at it that way I guess. They had not put out an album so raw sounding since Killers.

It is really between the title track and Mother Russia for me.
17.11.2009 - 00:58
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I think the reason why it's so overlooked by Maiden fans, is that most see it as a step down from 7th Son. Me, I've just always seen it as a "back to basics" album. Though it doesn't really have the punkish vibe that "Killers" had, so it was really a whole new sound for Maiden. I suspect if "Mother Russia" had been recorded on a previous album, it would have been longer in length. And I have heard some saying it should have been longer and more epic. I like the song as it is, and the Russian vibe of the song is very kewl.

"No Prayer..." definitely is the black sheep in Maiden's catalogue, aside from the Blaze albums of course. I've never quite understood why so many Maiden fans don't like it, or at least don't rate it highly. I do think the fact it's so raw, is a major reason for that. People saw it as a regression, I just think it was Maiden wanting to do a no frills, straight in your face metal album. And they certainly succeeded in doing that, and coming up with some great songs in the process!
18.11.2009 - 09:06
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Mother Russia,Poetry Majestic.You tell the tale of a once and still great Empire.
18.11.2009 - 09:43
Warman
Erotic Stains
Unlike others I think this is a great album. Way better than the one that came after, "Fear of the Dark". I voted for "No Prayer for the Dying", to me a very emotional and beautiful song. Although there's a lot of songs on this album that I love: "Mother Russia", "The Assasin" and "Public Enema Number One".
----
20.11.2009 - 01:48
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Warman on 18.11.2009 at 09:43

Unlike others I think this is a great album. Way better than the one that came after, "Fear of the Dark". I voted for "No Prayer for the Dying", to me a very emotional and beautiful song. Although there's a lot of songs on this album that I love: "Mother Russia", "The Assasin" and "Public Enema Number One".

I agree about "Fear Of The Dark". There is some great songs on there, but consistency wise, its definitely weaker than the preceding albums. I love the solo section in "The Assassin", especially Janick's solo in it. Really, there's no song I can say is a weak link in the album, I love all the songs in their own ways. The song "No Prayer For The Dying" is a haunting, and beautiful song. Definitely an overlooked, classic Maiden song, as far as I'm concerned.
22.12.2009 - 01:32
I_Die_Often
I voted for Bring your daughter, but now that I think about it... hooks in you is good also, and since I work with a bunch of Russians (I love Russians! they teach me how to swear and insult in Russian and they give me bottles of vodka for my b-day and Xmas!!!) Mother Russia has a place in my favs also
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
22.12.2009 - 01:34
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I will listen to this one carefully tomorrow and will let you know about my pick then
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

22.12.2009 - 02:11
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Ellrohir on 22.12.2009 at 01:34

I will listen to this one carefully tomorrow and will let you know about my pick then

Okie dokie!
22.12.2009 - 04:25
Richard
Elite
I went for Mother Russia, but to be honest I'm of the school of thought that regards 'No Prayer for the Dying' as one of Maiden's weaker albums, and probably their least interesting overall. The songs on this album are way less memorable than their other albums. I think they were treading water with this album, somewhat - it lacks the catchiness and great melodies of their other stuff.

The Blaze-era albums get a hard time from some fans, but I would much rather listen to 'Virtual XI' than 'No Prayer'.
----
22.12.2009 - 16:33
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Ok, now i can tell - Mother Russia is the best for me
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

24.12.2009 - 03:09
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Bring your daughter bring her bring.
24.12.2009 - 03:09
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Bring your daughter bring her bring.
20.01.2010 - 04:29
thewall30
I have to go with the title track No Prayer For The Dying, one of my favorite Maiden songs...
----
23.01.2010 - 23:06
I_Die_Often
The recent quake in Haiti makes me thing of Fates Warning...
I mean no disrespect for the situation
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???