Metal Storm logo
Video Games You're Playing

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 28.01.2015 - 14:35
Played about 20 minutes last night. It's definitely unintuitive, and I died twice in the first bit of the game before even reaching the hub (went for a really low END build though; went for for high Accuracy, Hacking and Medical), and the translation is clearly well under par. Definitely interesting though. I love the massive scope of the environments and art style and the shooting mechanics seem solid with some nice gunplay. I had to whack the enemies ability to see you right down to the minimum though as they can literally spot you from miles away, but even on the lowest setting I'm not sure it's enough. Apparently cloaking on this is a must. The reticule thing is also really annoying as it's entirely dependent on where your cursor is at the time, so selecting the option you want from it often means huge sweeps of the mouse. Assuming these are all idiosyncrasies I'll learn to deal with, though the inability to stealth effectively might kill my enjoyment of it pretty quick.

Eugh, constantly respawning enemies too. Yeah, I think all the things I really want out of a game like this are simply not viable. I'll push on and play it conventionally and see if it improves when I get cloaking.
12.07.2016 - 08:35
whatsacow
Written by [user id=142921] on 11.07.2016 at 13:35

Furi: Difficult dodge n parry based CQC + bullet hell boss rush game thing. Boss fights last 10-20 minutes. Synthwave OST. People going nuts over the OST. Some great hits but a bit of filler tracks I feel. The game itself is great to play ( with a controller). Maybe a tad pricey at $25 though.

Inside: By the guys who made Limbo. Spiritual successor. Great colour palette, atmosphere, mood etc. Very brooding. Quite mindfucky. Very good game.

Witcher 3 DLCs: I fucking love this game so much and the DLCs made me love it even more.

I finished Inside in one sitting. Considering I have troubles with ADD that's really saying something. God... in a year with Dark Souls 3, Doom, and many other great games, this might actually end up being my GOTY.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
12.07.2016 - 09:50
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I was too cheap to buy Inside so watched a playthrough.

Still my game of the year despite not picking up a controller ._. One of the best things I've ever seen without a doubt.
12.07.2016 - 10:55
whatsacow
Written by [user id=4365] on 12.07.2016 at 09:50

I was too cheap to buy Inside so watched a playthrough.

Still my game of the year despite not picking up a controller ._. One of the best things I've ever seen without a doubt.

Inside strikes me as a game that would be incredibly fun to watch, although I think some of the weight of the ending would feel lost without actually controlling the game.

The only problem I have is that it runs Denuvo, so I can never play it offline even though it seems like exactly the kind of game I'd want to play if my internet was down for a few hours.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
12.07.2016 - 22:03
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by whatsacow on 12.07.2016 at 10:55

Inside strikes me as a game that would be incredibly fun to watch, although I think some of the weight of the ending would feel lost without actually controlling the game.

The only problem I have is that it runs Denuvo, so I can never play it offline even though it seems like exactly the kind of game I'd want to play if my internet was down for a few hours.

Will defo grab it in a sale. Youtube's inferior compression quality was all too evident during the playthrough. But yeah, would be a decent portable game too I suspect. Interesting that it had Denuvo. I wonder how much it set them back to get that. I heard it's like $100,000 to get it implemented.
13.07.2016 - 01:02
whatsacow
Bought Necropolis. Spent half an hour getting it to work (doesn't work with Razer headphones), finally played it. It was awful. I refunded it.

The main problem is the combat. It's been marketed as a Dark Souls clone, but the combat feels more like an extremely floaty clone of Ocarina of Time instead. Plus their idea of difficulty is throwing 10 enemies at you as opposed to anything that might take brainpower. I'd give it a miss if I were you, or at least wait until there's a sale.
----
13.07.2016 - 07:38
Cynic Metalhead
Ambrish Saxena
Pokémon Go!
13.07.2016 - 19:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by [user id=142921] on 13.07.2016 at 18:44

It's a great game. I'm not sure how I feel about people losing their minds over it calling it one of the best games they've ever played when they have absolutely 0 clue on what's going on. That's so 'prisoner of the moment' to me

That's probably why some people think it's the best thing they've ever played. Much like films, the best ones for me are the ones that don't explain everything (or much of anything) and keep you thinking way after it's done. I've thought about Inside quite a lot the past few days. Things that explain everything to death don't really last beyond the time playing / watching it for me. Bit like Dark Souls, eeeeh?
14.07.2016 - 00:17
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Finally got Witcher III, far more complex than, say Fallout 4. taking me a while longer to get into it as a result, but am enjoying it. knocked out a couple quests, looking forward to returning to see how the results impact things.

damn that errant cart on the side of the rode. that first missing caravan loot quest...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
14.07.2016 - 00:56
whatsacow
Written by [user id=4365] on 13.07.2016 at 19:22

Written by [user id=142921] on 13.07.2016 at 18:44

That's probably why some people think it's the best thing they've ever played. Much like films, the best ones for me are the ones that don't explain everything (or much of anything) and keep you thinking way after it's done. I've thought about Inside quite a lot the past few days. Things that explain everything to death don't really last beyond the time playing / watching it for me. Bit like Dark Souls, eeeeh?

I agree. This is one my girlfriend and I have been talking about since we played it. I've finished it 3 times now, and each it seems I've noticed something new (look at the light on the diorama, for instance). That puzzling over what has happened works especially well in a short game like this, since a playthrough is about an hour long.
----
14.07.2016 - 17:58
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by [user id=142921] on 14.07.2016 at 17:04

Sure. I understand that. I have no issue with ambiguity. It's just that at the end of it all I was like "that's it?". I expected more but at the same time didn't consider the $20 a waste of money.

Get the hidden ending

To be fair, Dark Souls 3's secret ending is like 20 seconds long, if that.
14.07.2016 - 23:34
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by [user id=142921] on 14.07.2016 at 17:04

Hope you got ample spare time. That game is a doozy. Took me 180hrs for vanilla and 2nd PT 227 hours with both DLCs. Would be ~260 if I did all the contracts and cleared all the ? marks.

I game an hour or two a night and some time on weekends depending upon social calendar.

the last game i got was Fallout4 (and Far Harbor/Automaton) and made it to level like 101 before moving on.

i played WOW for years, even when i ddin't like the totality of what was going on would focus on an aspect or two i liked.

as a younger dude with a hot computer or ps2 i pissed away probably a ocuple thousand dollars on games, many of which sucked, lost my interest, or were never completed.

now i prefer to get games that will endure and last and keep me entertained for a long while. and Diablo 3 which is great for blaring metal and guzzling booze after a stressful day and when my wife goes to a shie-shie ladies only wine & cheese tasting .
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
20.07.2016 - 05:09
Mattybu
Bad Rats: The Rats Revenge

nobody has an excuse not to have this
20.07.2016 - 17:46
Malphas
"Evolve" went free to play on steam like a week ago so that's what i've been spending most of my time on lately. Oh and also overwatch. I have no regrets.
----
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
30.07.2016 - 07:53
whatsacow
Been playing Rainbow Six Siege since it's free on Steam this weekend. I like the game a lot, it's basically what I wish Counter Strike was. It's super tactical, fun, and really tense.

However, the game is really hard to love. To get this game to start I had to turn off UPnP which was annoying. Then I had to deal with fucking Uplay giving me an aneurysm. Seriously, how does it take an hour for my friends to receive a friend request? Not to mention the community can be pretty toxic. I had one dickhead repeatedly kill me and tell me to quit because I was useless... after he blew up the hostage twice.

Despite all of this I can't stop playing. It's pretty good.
----
05.08.2016 - 03:20
BADDEST MEMBER
Anyone wants to play Fifa 09 with me online. By the way is it needed cash for playing Fifa easport online ?
05.08.2016 - 09:40
Maco
Pvt Funderground
It's been a while since I've been sucked into a game. Been playing Danganronpa 2. Pretty fucking addictive, love the characters and the plot.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
19.08.2016 - 13:24
IronAngel
Playing Ocarina of Time, at Death Mountain heading for the temple, now. It is really interesting to experience these classics without any nostalgia and notice they are, to this day, excellent games. (Got Link to the Past, Windwaker and Majora's Mask on my list next, that's probably enough Zelda.) There are some annoyances, like aiming your ranged weapons with a controller is a fucking nuisance (dunno how much it's a matter of mapping N64 controls to an XBox controller, though) and some of the "secrets" are just random shit. Overall, though, the world and level design is great, the puzzles simple enough not to resort to cheating or memorizing everything you come across, but creative enough to give a joy of discovery. The combat is surprisingly solid for its age, I had expected much worse, and the boss design so far has been good. I wouldn't necessarily put it up there as the greatest game of all time, as many do, but it's a great game that stands the test of time.
19.08.2016 - 14:18
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by IronAngel on 19.08.2016 at 13:24

Playing Ocarina of Time, at Death Mountain heading for the temple, now. It is really interesting to experience these classics without any nostalgia and notice they are, to this day, excellent games.

I had the same the same experience with Ocarina Of Time something like 7-8 years ago. No nostalgia involved, still loved the hell out of it. The Shadow Temple is probably one of the absolute greatest levels/areas in the history of video games. The water temple was an absolute nightmare however, almost made me quit the game. I spent more than 8 hours there and occasionally checked with walkthroughs. If it wasn't for that dreadful place, I might place OoT in my all time top 10 games.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
20.08.2016 - 02:01
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Played again the first four Silent Hill games. All of them are classics, specially 2.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
21.08.2016 - 20:05
IronAngel
I've only played 2 and halfway through 3, even though I loved both. I guess I need to finish 3. The original I never attempted to get into, even though I've got the ISO for an emulator. Even though I normally have no problem with old games, even from the early 90s, somehow I've worried that the atmosphere wouldn't survive the emulation and passage of time. Maybe I'm wrong and really should play it.
22.08.2016 - 18:42
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Played No Man's Sky for a few hours. I kind of wish at this point I could do away with the resource gathering: find x amount of this to make x amounts of this which is required to make this. It's getting a bit tiresome. I just want to explore planets and looks at shit. Don't enjoy the aerial combat either. Sluggish as hell. I wish it would run a bit better too.
26.08.2016 - 18:08
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by [user id=142921] on 26.08.2016 at 15:23

I'm almost happy it's getting shit on because of how vague and deceitful Sean Murray has been throughout the development process. Who am I kidding.. I AM happy.

Pretty sure they're rolling in it regardless though. A 10 man team outselling triple A titles. Probably screwed himself for the future though.
28.08.2016 - 19:22
Overrwatcher
I've been playing tons of Dead By Daylight recently. It's an asymmetrical competitive survival horror game where four survivors have to repair generators to power the exit gates while one killer finds them, hacks them up, tortures them on a meat hook, then sacrifices them to a spider god. The core gameplay is absolutely fantastically done. A killer will eventually catch up to a survivor (who can't fight back) and down them, but then the killer has to carry them to a hook before the survivor struggles out of their grasp, and it takes 90 seconds for a survivor to die on a hook. In all this time, the three other survivors are accomplishing objectives around the map. If the killer camps the hooked survivor then he guarantees a sacrifice but loses multiple generators. If the killer roams then he places pressure and slows down the pace of the game but leaves the hooked victim to get saved. And survivors meanwhile have so many other ways to counter a killer: They can sabotage hooks and traps, bodyblock killers to allow another to escape, heal the wounded, blind killers with flashlights, swarm a killer with sheer numbers to unhook someone, distract a killer, or just simply break line of sight and hide from the killer. The game is still real messy in several ways (super buggy, only balanced by both sides outcheesing each other, poor netcode) but the horror aspects are incredibly well executed and few games give as much of an adrenaline rush. It's an out-of-nowhere super hit for a reason.

I've also been playing lots of Runescape recently. Not the new one, but the "oldschool" server based on a backup from 2007. The last time I played the game was literally over five years ago (when I was 12), and before then when I was 8. Being older, I'm now much better, and can do stuff that 12 year old me could only dream of. I'm doing some of the quests I was too scared to do when I was 12, at a lower level than my main account. Monkey Madness? Not too bad if you have a little gold and 43 prayer. The Fremennik Isles? Dragon Dagger burst the king down. A super long quest? Teleport to the destination repeatedly to make it a shorter one. On one hand, it's great exploring content I've never reached, but on the other hand, the magic is gone. The world is no longer a scary place when I can always just Protect From Melee, Protect Item, and Teleport To House at the first sign of danger. If I die? In the rare case I don't get my items back, I lose like 150k worth of stuff when I have 1.2 million sitting in the bank. Every fight can be cheesed with either safe spots where melee monsters can't hit you, or through Protect prayers combined with prayer potions. Players are the scariest part of the game. I'm planning on completing as many quests as I can before I get bored, then I'll likely end up playing another game. The game and combat is way too clunky and unresponsive for me to really care about the pvp or raiding. Runescape 3 (the modern runescape) is way too endgame-focused to be worth playing as well. Why would you want to raid in a clunky and laggy tile-based browser game when you can just play the super responsive WoW, Wildstar, literaly any other MMO? Still I'm having fun with it, and the memes are legendary.

Speaking of WoW, I'm getting back into it. A friend gave me a roster spot in his guild, and I have nothing better to do, so I might as well. Legion is shaping up pretty nicely, let's see if it's a Mists of Pandaria (good expansion) or Warlords of Draenor (godawful expansion). I used to be a top 100 US raider but the scene is filled with neckbeard mouthbreathers and I stirred up a hilarious shitton of drama so I'm avoiding that like the plague.
----
Overr's List Of Worthwhile Deathcore Albums

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 12.06.2016 at 19:43

Overwatcher, MS Xena, crumbled him in no time. MS needs you to kill the boredom in here.

29.08.2016 - 16:57
Metren
Dreadrealm
Tonight's the night. World Of Warcraft: Legion is coming. I haven't played much WoW in recent years, but my wife's a guildmaster and I helped her lvl some characters in the last few weeks, because of some party/ally 300 % EXP bonus thing and I actually started somewhat enjoying WoW again. Can't wait to send those foul demons back into the twisting nether.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
05.09.2016 - 21:48
Metren
Dreadrealm
So I was feeling depressed today and decided to cheer myself up by finally getting rid of my old monitor, went and bought a new one, 24-inch PLS. You know how when you're eyesight is poor and you finally get glasses and everything looks so much more beautiful and real? Well, that's how I feel now, playing The Witcher 3 on ultra settings with my new monitor. It was already my favorite game of all time for its story, characters, immersive world, music and everything else that it did so right, but now it's even better. IDK... CD Projekt did so many things so very right that it's borderline unrealistic for a game this great to even exist.

That's enough bragging and fanboying for now, I guess.
----
08.09.2016 - 17:02
Metren
Dreadrealm
Visual Novels fall under this topic too, right?

I'm about halfway through The Devil On A G-String and it is one of the most gut-wrenching, mindfucky things I've ever experienced. The writers must have degrees in psychology, because they know exactly how to keep me on the edge of my seat and how to make me feel like I'm losing my sanity. The story and characters are great, but the tone is even better. One moment you (the main character) are chatting about nothing with your shooclmates, having fun and just being a teenager and then out of mindfuck-nowhere, the story takes a darker turn you could've ever expected and your soul is just left crushed. Can't recommend highly enough for fans of visual novels.
----
08.09.2016 - 20:57
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Overrwatcher on 28.08.2016 at 19:22

Speaking of WoW, I'm getting back into it. A friend gave me a roster spot in his guild, and I have nothing better to do, so I might as well. Legion is shaping up pretty nicely, let's see if it's a Mists of Pandaria (good expansion) or Warlords of Draenor (godawful expansion). I used to be a top 100 US raider but the scene is filled with neckbeard mouthbreathers and I stirred up a hilarious shitton of drama so I'm avoiding that like the plague.

i played since closed Beta through whatever came before Mists of Panda Express. was pulled to rejoin by a friend assembling a horde side guild, grinded a DK to join their PVP team. was a lot of fun. they had top-ranked pvpers mixed with absolute noobs*, just all using teamspeak or ventrillo or whatever and on a fun wavelength. won a lot more than we lost. all while joking, drinking, karoakeing horribly (a dot lock version of bad medicine comes to mind...)

the game was meh, a nice time kill. but friday night fights were always fun.

yeah, they were a lot of fun.

enjoying Witcher III a ton, loved Fallout 4. FIFA is amusing, but really miss running amok for a couple hours with friends, drunkenly bellowing things like "Where's that healer? I'm going to kill that healer! I'm going to kill his family! I'm going to kill his dog! I'm going to kill his date to Junior Prom!" while blowing up other peoples digital avatars.

* as running around battlegrounds ws pretty much my favorite part of the game, by the time i re-signed into the game I had north of 250,000 hks, and druid ws the only class i had less than 10k with. i was a pretty decent BG player. not title-worthy, but could smoke/outdo most the others players in any rando bg. was a good team player with a reserved spot.
----

09.09.2016 - 01:04
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
So I've been playing LISA, and it turns out the OST is pretty great
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
09.09.2016 - 18:46
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Haven'tplayed LISA but I've watched a few people playing it. Looks pretty memorable and bleakly funny.
09.09.2016 - 23:59
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
I'd say it's more to the gloomy and depressive side than funny. I mean it looks funny, but when you start playing you see it's kinda dark... Funny dark. Perhaps like Earthbound's darker parts.

And I still can't get over how awesome the OST is.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei