Metal Storm logo
Video Games You're Playing

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 28.01.2015 - 14:35
Played about 20 minutes last night. It's definitely unintuitive, and I died twice in the first bit of the game before even reaching the hub (went for a really low END build though; went for for high Accuracy, Hacking and Medical), and the translation is clearly well under par. Definitely interesting though. I love the massive scope of the environments and art style and the shooting mechanics seem solid with some nice gunplay. I had to whack the enemies ability to see you right down to the minimum though as they can literally spot you from miles away, but even on the lowest setting I'm not sure it's enough. Apparently cloaking on this is a must. The reticule thing is also really annoying as it's entirely dependent on where your cursor is at the time, so selecting the option you want from it often means huge sweeps of the mouse. Assuming these are all idiosyncrasies I'll learn to deal with, though the inability to stealth effectively might kill my enjoyment of it pretty quick.

Eugh, constantly respawning enemies too. Yeah, I think all the things I really want out of a game like this are simply not viable. I'll push on and play it conventionally and see if it improves when I get cloaking.
10.09.2016 - 04:44
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Karlabos on 09.09.2016 at 23:59

I'd say it's more to the gloomy and depressive side than funny. I mean it looks funny, but when you start playing you see it's kinda dark... Funny dark. Perhaps like Earthbound's darker parts.

Ah, I see.

I heard somewhere that the OST is quite good, but I guess you don't know anything about that.
12.09.2016 - 22:51
Cass
Sometimes I play Brutal Doom

15.09.2016 - 03:34
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
God damn, this game is pretty, and a lot of fun from the hour or so I've played of it. Hoping it has a Colony Wars feel the more I play it, perhaps when the story is fully implemented. Something I've been craving since... the last Colony Wars game. [Played a bit more of it; getting pretty good at it actually. Really great mechanics, but I think at this point it really needs a story mode as at the moment you seem to be doing more or less the same thing, only it gets harder. Mission based things in different sectors would really give this game its sheen, so looking forward to them getting round to doing that. Still having lots of fun just exploring each sector and slowly improving my ship. Got really far last time but accidentally boosted into an asteroid. Oy].

Also really enjoying Halcyon 6. Put a couple of hours into it so far. Kind of turn based J-RPG meets X-Com with resource management. Great artstyle and music too.

Yay for space.
16.09.2016 - 22:04
3rdWorld
China was a neat
None. Last game I finished was NFS Hot Pursuit (2010).

^And you guys have fucking too much leisure time.

EDIT: That was not in 2010, a couple of months back.
16.09.2016 - 23:58
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by 3rdWorld on 16.09.2016 at 22:04

^And you guys have fucking too much leisure time.

Haha! I freely admit that I have way too much time to play video games, I am one of those extremely lucky fuckers, who gets to spend a huge amount of their life playing But it's great.

Anyway, just started on Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition and liking it so far. The turn-based combat is fun. I just wish I didn't have to control 2 party members in conversations, makes me feel like a schizo. I wonder why they didn't just make it you (the player) and everyone else...
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
17.09.2016 - 02:12
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I just have an hour or two at the end of the night to do what i want. sometimes it's gaming, sometimes i watch crap movies, sometimes audio books.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.09.2016 - 23:00
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Same case for me. But most of the days I am way too fucked up that I just cook, eat and doze off with most probably a new metal/electronic album playing.

I'm more worried about missing and not playing console games than PC games cause once the hardware gets stopped from production and sales, its hard to get good games and will be a liability to maintain them in good condition. Thats why I really wanna catch up on console games like the Killzone, Resistance, Gran Turismo and early MGS series games on my PS3 which I've bought but currently sitting wasted back at my parent's place.
18.09.2016 - 22:14
IronAngel
Written by 3rdWorld on 17.09.2016 at 23:00

I'm more worried about missing and not playing console games than PC games cause once the hardware gets stopped from production and sales, its hard to get good games and will be a liability to maintain them in good condition.

That (and the price) is honestly why I don't play console games. I've got a PS2 and a few games I go back to, but it's really not worth the hassle. Too many PC games to play, plus a ton of older console games to emulate, that it's just easier to let consoles be.

I usually have 2-4 hours free time once the toddler is in bed, but often I use that watching films or reading with the wife, or writing stuff (I am writing the setting lore for an RP server we're releasing on Shards Online once it's out). I get to play a fairly good deal given my life situation, but nothing like a few years back. Maybe 5-10 hours a week, usually on the lower end of that spectrum.
18.09.2016 - 22:20
3rdWorld
China was a neat
You're probably right. Just looking above at how many wonderful new games people post above, mostly from steam which I frankly have no idea if they are free or paid. I probably have to start looking to play/check them out. But I am yet to explore RPG/strategy games in much detail so I haven't fell in love with it and delved deep into it yet.

And I just seem to can't write off/forget about console games very easily. The ONLY reason I bought a PS3 was to play the God of War series which I've loved ever since I've seen videos of that several years back and I finally finished the GoW1 on my PS3 last year. Similarly there are lot of real gems/games that can't be missed. Another example would be the Gears Of War series which I'm still yet to play. But hopefully since they have it on the new XBOX I can try it sometime soon.
19.09.2016 - 09:55
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
But these days there's a pretty good chance a console game will get ported to PC eventually, barring the few console exclusives (which is why I buy a console at the end of its cycle). In the current generation there hasn't actually been too many PS4Bone games I'm envious of, as most have been announced as having ports at some point.

I'm thinking of buying Overwatch as my gateway into online gaming. Seems like it's actually fun.
19.09.2016 - 10:16
IronAngel
I have God of War 1 and 2 sitting in my emulator folder waiting to be played. Just started Shadow of the Colossus, got to the first boss and had no idea how to proceed. It's great to be so far behind the times that once I get around to playing a game, it's already 3-10 years old and either very cheap or can be emulated. So it's not that I'm against console gaming, I'm just cheap.
19.09.2016 - 10:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Shadow of the Colossus is probably one of the few games I'd say playing the HD version is almost vital for. The original had some shocking framerate issues which emulation can't solve. The HD version maintains a solid 30fps. Still a unique experience whatever platform it's played on though.
02.10.2016 - 05:50
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
About halfway through Pokémon Heart Gold.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
11.10.2016 - 16:16
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Witcher 3 is turning me into fallout 4's Preston Garvey when riding the countryside.

"well, at least it's not raining."
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
14.10.2016 - 21:40
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Just learned about an indie RPG named OFF. Looks like people associate it with Earthbound, Undertale, LISA et al so it must be hella good.OSt is pretty good so far.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
15.10.2016 - 16:05
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Shadow of the Colossus looked delicious on HD truly. I have the remastered compilation of that and Ico. Have no idea when I'm gonna play it though.
15.10.2016 - 17:36
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Divinity II: Developer's Cut.

Have been craving a good PC RPG for a while now ever since watching Lobos play through Morrowind (which I've played to death) so grabbed this. Not really CRPG style though, more like action RPG with huge quasi-open world maps. Despite the not-always great reviews (outside of Steam anyway where it's lauded) it's definitely drawn me in. Story seems a bit standard but the humorous writing and pretty decent sidequesting (the mind-read ability really adds to it) has kept me sticking with it. Combat is the very definition of OK, but not great in any way, not as an archer anyway. I get the feeling this game could be overly hard if I played as any other build. But yeah, nice huge open maps to explore and visually it still holds up quite well despite its age. Have played a fair amount of it but haven't actually progressed much as you're able to turn into a dragon at some point which I've not yet been able to. Have mostly been sidequesting etc. Great fully voiced cast too.

Tried playing some Gothic 2. I really want to get into this game the controls and combat are so horrible I'm not sure I'll ever be able to.
15.10.2016 - 18:38
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Never found RPGs interesting so far. Gave Morrowind a try though but it only made me more dizzying. Have no idea where to start now. Though I kinda enjoyed the prologue of Fallout 3. That defo looks like the kind of RPG that I would love.
15.10.2016 - 23:02
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Finished "OFF" today. It's huh..a 4 hour long RPG (?)
I didn't quite get the story, since it's all too abstract. I ended up with more theories than actual facts. Overall an interesting experience

I just wish the puzzles weren't that absurdly hard. Had to google the solution to at least 4 of them
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
17.10.2016 - 14:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by [user id=142921] on 17.10.2016 at 13:36

I just started this game today too. It's been sitting in my library for ages. I'm about 20 minutes in..still speaking to all the vets but what has immediately increased my desire to continue is the mind reading ability. It's really been my priority ever since it was granted to me. I love how you can uncover the bs the merchant spills about his low, competitive prices with the ability. While I question if sacrificing xp is the right way to do things, it's definitely a nifty gameplay feature that's peaked my interest. I do like the dialogue so far too. Reminds me a bit of Vampire: TM-B. Also Tiresias has an awesome voice actor.

I found fairly earlyish into the game that you amount of xp you gain greatly outweighs how much you'll spend on mind reading. Obviously it's probably not worth reading the minds of people that require the bare minimum as it'll just be flavour text but otherwise I just read everyone's mind over the minimum. It's usually worth it.

I seem to have moved on to Guild Wars 2 at the moment (practically identical ganmeplay anyway) as it's free, but I'm sure I'll be back to Divinity II at some point.
23.10.2016 - 14:03
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
No one else collecting Plunder Skulls on ESO?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
06.11.2016 - 21:11
IronAngel
I finally finished New Vegas. I took at least two long breaks from it, I think I started a year ago or something. It took a while to get going but once it did (once I got to the Strip, really), I was hooked. The gameplay is pretty lame (and your power ramps up really fast, combat going from frustratingly hard to trivial) but the story and faction dynamics are really good and most things you do feel meaningful somehow. A considerable difference from the whatever sidequests of TES games. (But then, I am also experienced enough with these kind of games by now not to accept the most boring errands.)

I have Underrail, Gothic, Withcer 2, Assassin's Creed 2 and Company of Heroes to finish but I'm not really feeling any of them. Meh, I rushed through the expansions and last mission of the main quest in two weeks to get to a new game but now I have nothing to play!
06.11.2016 - 21:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
With any luck Obsidian will get dibs on the next Fallout game. It'll probably be horrendously buggy but should hopefully have the pretty good gameplay of Fallout 4 with an interesting world / story and meaningful quests along with it.
07.11.2016 - 00:56
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by [user id=4365] on 06.11.2016 at 21:22

With any luck Obsidian will get dibs on the next Fallout game. It'll probably be horrendously buggy but should hopefully have the pretty good gameplay of Fallout 4 with an interesting world / story and meaningful quests along with it.

About Bethesda vs Obsidian:

You should love the absolute fuck out of this video:

----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
07.11.2016 - 12:41
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Metren on 07.11.2016 at 00:56

Will check that out in a bit, looks interesting!
08.11.2016 - 19:30
Zap
Written by Metren on 07.11.2016 at 00:56

That was an interesting video. It's something I definitely notice in a lot of RPGs. The world just isn't as immersive as I want it to be, but now I know why. It's because I don't know what they eat.

Too bad I never got far into New Vegas because of the buggyness, but I will definitely retry it at some point.
10.11.2016 - 05:48
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Only played the prologue of Fallout 3 and kinda liked it. But I'm not an RPG expert to identify the flaws of Fallout already as I like quite what I saw off it. So Bethesda or Obsidian, new Fallout is always good. Buggyness puts me off a game the most though.
11.11.2016 - 16:04
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Played a few hours of Tyranny now. Haven't had much time in the combat yet but the premise is far more interesting than Pillars of Eternity (i.e. playing the "bad" guys), and seems to be a bit easier to get into lore wise so far. Supposedly it's only around 25 hours per playthrough but with a few very distinct ways of playing it so has genuine replayability. I think that's probably a good thing as PoE just went on and on and I could never be bothered to finish it after the 80 hour or so mark when my party had all maxed out their levels.
11.11.2016 - 18:40
IronAngel
Written by [user id=4365] on 11.11.2016 at 16:04

Supposedly it's only around 25 hours per playthrough but with a few very distinct ways of playing it so has genuine replayability. I think that's probably a good thing as PoE just went on and on and I could never be bothered to finish it after the 80 hour or so mark when my party had all maxed out their levels.

This may be the biggest selling point for me. I just do not have time to slog through all the 100-hour RPGs I kinda want to play.

I finally picked up Witcher 2 myself. I started it twice but didn't get past the prologue. I feel a little more interested now. The first game was alright, and what I like about both is the witchering: the notion that you need to find the right ingredients and make the right preparations to hunt down monsters. Information about them comes from books you actually want to read. I think the execution waters down the idea with too much AAA handholding, but at least it's something.

But my god, these stupid cutscenes around every corner.
11.11.2016 - 19:05
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by IronAngel on 11.11.2016 at 18:40

This may be the biggest selling point for me. I just do not have time to slog through all the 100-hour RPGs I kinda want to play.

It's still very text heavy though. One average gaming session could conceivably be just talking to a small handful of characters.