Metal Storm logo
How To Pronounce Band Names

Original post

Posted by Daru Jericho, 21.05.2006 - 14:33
Post here band names you have difficulty or are unsure how to pronounce. Hopefully someone will know the answer!

As for me:
Akercocke
Anaal Nathrakh
11.08.2007 - 16:38
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Does anyone know if Doom:VS is pronounced as Doom Versus or just Doom Vee Es? And what to do with the ':'?

EDIT: And EA? (The Doom band) Like in E-A Electronic Arts or lumped together?
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
12.08.2007 - 00:45
Narterath
And to add another question to those of Nervel's, how do you pronounce Blut Aus Nord? I love the band, but I have no idea if I'm pronouncing them correctly
12.08.2007 - 01:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Narterath on 12.08.2007 at 00:45

And to add another question to those of Nervel's, how do you pronounce Blut Aus Nord? I love the band, but I have no idea if I'm pronouncing them correctly

Same how written
Blut - U like in german for example unter
Aus like Aus in german, a like pAo (vAzaelos) u like u and s like snake
Nord like Nord in english
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.08.2007 - 02:56
Ilham Cotterell
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 11.08.2007 at 16:38

Does anyone know if Doom:VS is pronounced as Doom Versus or just Doom Vee Es? And what to do with the ':'?

I would pronounce it the way it is written : Doom V-S. I personally wouldn't say "Doom Versus", because it doesn't sound really good to my ear, and I would have pronounced it "Versus" only if it were written "Versus"... But I am not sure..
18.08.2007 - 14:59
Ernis
狼獾
Written by [user id=18405] on 12.08.2007 at 02:56

I would pronounce it the way it is written : Doom V-S. I personally wouldn't say "Doom Versus", because it doesn't sound really good to my ear, and I would have pronounced it "Versus" only if it were written "Versus"... But I am not sure..

Doom Võitlev Sõna lol.....VS....we have a café here in Tallinn called VS(Võitlev Sõna/Fighting Word)......

I think V S pronounced as letters would be the best option.....the word "versus" doesn't sound good here....besides we can't be sure what the band wants to say with VS...perhaps they think Doom Very Sexy or Doom Very Shitey.....
18.08.2007 - 15:09
Warman
Erotic Stains
Hey, how do you pronounce Watain?
----
18.08.2007 - 16:02
Ilham Cotterell
Account deleted
Written by Warman on 18.08.2007 at 15:09

Hey, how do you pronounce Watain?

I pronounce it "WA-" like in "wagon" and "-TAIN" like in "train"... The "W" could be pronounced as in "wave", but I don't think it is. The band is swedish... If I remember well, all germanic-rooted languages pronounce "W" like in wagon... Am I right?
27.08.2007 - 18:12
MadTinus
Watain, in my opinion, should be pronounced as what-ain, so the 'wat' part as in what and 'ain' as in rain.
27.08.2007 - 18:20
Sunioj
Hehe, If you can properly decipher Von's song called Watain then you would find out I say Wa ( as in what ) and tain ( as in train ).
08.11.2007 - 13:18
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
now, this isnt a band name but Immortal's Blashyrkh!?!?!? how??
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
08.11.2007 - 13:37
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Isn't that just Blashyrkh? Blash - clash - yrkh - eerk (sounding like jeer with a k on the end, or jerk with two Es)

EA I would definitely go with just the letters, Doom VS I think in a real scenario I would have said "versus" but just the letters is probably best since I'm not sure what it stands for... only pronounce the colon if you're joking or a moron

Blut Aus Nord I would have rhymed with Flute House Bored but I'm pretty sure the middle one is wrong, at the least, and Watain I would have gone with wa-TAIN like ya-TRAIN but again I think this is wrong (Ilham when you say wagon, do you mean the w with a v sound or not? my thoughts here are not v)
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
08.11.2007 - 16:12
Graveheart
I always thought the letter W didn't exist in the Swedish alphabet?
08.11.2007 - 16:47
Sunioj
Yes, but the name itself was originally a title for another bands song, Von. An American band.
08.11.2007 - 17:42
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Graveheart on 08.11.2007 at 16:12

Actually... I don't fucking know... sometimes we use it, sometimes not... but when I think of it I can't remember any swedish words (except names) with the letter W.
----
08.11.2007 - 23:51
Anon
Account deleted
Written by Warman on 08.11.2007 at 17:42

Actually... I don't fucking know... sometimes we use it, sometimes not... but when I think of it I can't remember any swedish words (except names) with the letter W.

Must be great to learn Swedish as a second language.
09.11.2007 - 00:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=26791] on 08.11.2007 at 23:51

Must be great to learn Swedish as a second language.

But swedish its warmen's firts one
----

09.11.2007 - 01:05
Stalker
Lone wanderer

Well, Ive learned that officially, there is no W in Swedish alphabet, and that it is used only in some names, as Warman already said.
----
09.11.2007 - 10:02
Øyvind
Grave Digger
Written by Stalker on 09.11.2007 at 01:05

Well, Ive learned that officially, there is no W in Swedish alphabet, and that it is used only in some names, as Warman already said.

Right. Same with Norwegian. Names like Winsnes, etc. Haven't seen it anywhere else. And back to the topic, always had trouble with Lynyrd Skynyrd, not metal, but fits as the most troublesome name for me at least.
----
09.11.2007 - 13:51
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by Øyvind on 09.11.2007 at 10:02

Right. Same with Norwegian. Names like Winsnes, etc. Haven't seen it anywhere else. And back to the topic, always had trouble with Lynyrd Skynyrd, not metal, but fits as the most troublesome name for me at least.

Yeah, fucked up shit, but Ive heard lots of people here say it "Linard Skinard" (citaj po vuku) Although I doubt its correct....
----
09.11.2007 - 14:51
Damnated
Churchburner

And EA? (The Doom band) Like in E-A Electronic Arts or lumped together?

i pronounce the E like in hey and the A like in almost. but that's just me and hungarian
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
09.11.2007 - 19:04
Øyvind
Grave Digger
Written by Stalker on 09.11.2007 at 13:51

Written by Øyvind on 09.11.2007 at 10:02

Yeah, fucked up shit, but Ive heard lots of people here say it "Linard Skinard" (citaj po vuku) Although I doubt its correct....

I've heard Lenard Skiner or something, read their explanation that it was a name of some professor... Completely weird.
----
09.11.2007 - 19:27
Deus Ex Machina
LOL

Leh-nerd Skin-nerd

It's all about the nerds.

PRONOUNCE IT ! GO GO GO GO!
09.11.2007 - 19:31
Øyvind
Grave Digger
Leh-nerd Skin-nerd Leh-nerd Skin-nerd Leh-nerd Skin-nerd THIS WORKS, THANKS

----
17.11.2007 - 00:10
Oracle
Orcinus
Lol how is Atargatis pronounced?? i cant seem to say it properly and apparently its pronounced different to the way its spelt
01.01.2008 - 04:20
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
mayu have been mentioned b4, but Xasthur? so the x sounds like a z, but the rest, its weird...
----
03.01.2008 - 02:14
Ernis
狼獾
Written by BurbotsRevenge on 01.01.2008 at 04:20

mayu have been mentioned b4, but Xasthur? so the x sounds like a z, but the rest, its weird...

I say it KSASTUR.....sort of as I read it in my language....
03.01.2008 - 02:17
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by BurbotsRevenge on 01.01.2008 at 04:20

search for on youtube for a video of Nachtmystium + Malefic (vocals of Xasthur). somebody says it out loud there.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
03.01.2008 - 03:49
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
thank nervel, i found the vid u were talking about

Zass-therr sort of, its actually really hard to pronounce as well as spell out how to...
----
24.05.2008 - 16:39
Stigmatized
I want to know how to say these once and for all since I've heard several ways-

Windir
Valfar
and his real name - Terje Bakken
24.05.2008 - 16:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Stigmatized on 24.05.2008 at 16:39

I want to know how to say these once and for all since I've heard several ways-

Windir
Valfar
and his real name - Terje Bakken

Windir - like you read but i like in italian internacionale
Valfar - a like but what something

Terje - e-emotions j like yes
----