Metal Storm logo
Video Games You're Playing

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 28.01.2015 - 14:35
Played about 20 minutes last night. It's definitely unintuitive, and I died twice in the first bit of the game before even reaching the hub (went for a really low END build though; went for for high Accuracy, Hacking and Medical), and the translation is clearly well under par. Definitely interesting though. I love the massive scope of the environments and art style and the shooting mechanics seem solid with some nice gunplay. I had to whack the enemies ability to see you right down to the minimum though as they can literally spot you from miles away, but even on the lowest setting I'm not sure it's enough. Apparently cloaking on this is a must. The reticule thing is also really annoying as it's entirely dependent on where your cursor is at the time, so selecting the option you want from it often means huge sweeps of the mouse. Assuming these are all idiosyncrasies I'll learn to deal with, though the inability to stealth effectively might kill my enjoyment of it pretty quick.

Eugh, constantly respawning enemies too. Yeah, I think all the things I really want out of a game like this are simply not viable. I'll push on and play it conventionally and see if it improves when I get cloaking.
12.07.2018 - 11:34
Maco
Pvt Funderground
-Final Fantasy X: Finally ended the game (6.7/10)
-Xenogears: For a JRPG this is great, I still hate the random encounters and some hard as fuck bosses, but once I learnt how to use cheat codes it all became quite more simple. I'm still on CD 2 relaxing myself after CD1.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
12.07.2018 - 12:14
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Maco on 12.07.2018 at 11:34

That's about the rating I'd give FFX. The first game in the series that left me completely underwhelmed and bored with the story and characters. VIII was a ridiculous mess, but at least it was entertaining.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
13.07.2018 - 08:22
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Metren on 12.07.2018 at 12:14

Written by Maco on 12.07.2018 at 11:34

That's about the rating I'd give FFX. The first game in the series that left me completely underwhelmed and bored with the story and characters. VIII was a ridiculous mess, but at least it was entertaining.

Is X the Water Polo one?

Loved 2, 3, and 7, liked 8 enough... still love DOOMTRAIN. 9 and later 10 were teh first two I didn't care enough to finish. 9 just got lost, forgot where i was with the game and thus how to progress. not sure how. X, despite the graphics upgrade never really clicked with me, got bored.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
13.07.2018 - 10:59
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by BitterCOld on 13.07.2018 at 08:22

Is X the Water Polo one?

Yup. Blitzball, linear and boring almost no-surprises plot, ridiculous character designs, but great visuals and OST, that's X.

Loved 2, 3, and 7, liked 8 enough... still love DOOMTRAIN. 9 and later 10 were teh first two I didn't care enough to finish. 9 just got lost, forgot where i was with the game and thus how to progress. not sure how. X, despite the graphics upgrade never really clicked with me, got bored.

Maybe it's just nostalgia, but I loved IX and I highly recommend You give it another chance, I don't think You'll regret it. It's as close to a what an FF game should be as possible according to some, including the legend Sakaguchi himself. The storytelling and characters aren't quite on the level of VII and IV, but it's a lovely fairy-tale like story with loads of fun and also some beautiful sad moments.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
14.07.2018 - 10:51
IronAngel
In retrospect, none of them are how I remember them. Slow, linear and naive, with pretty trivial gameplay. Tried to get back into IX, which was my favorite (along with VI), but the magic wasn't there. I loved the way the games open up towards the end/midpoint, with airships and lots of places to do trivial stuff at, but I guess I've been overexposed to open world games since then to really get a kick out of it anymore. I still think it's a nice game (and maybe I'll try the others at some point), but no way I'd rank them in my top 10 these days.

I liked X, though. It scratched a slightly different itch, but I dunno if the story is worse than average. The world building was quite successful, I thought. I'd probably rank them, based on very fuzzy memories:
1. IX/VI
2. IV
3. VII
4. X
5. VIII
6. X-2

I didn't play enough of V (the one with the cool job system) to really judge, and I still have Tactics waiting in my emulator folder.
14.07.2018 - 12:44
Mercurial
If anything open world games have made me enjoy the classic FFs even more. I really appreciate the idea of guided narratives and gameplay these days, and the older FFs gave you just enough exploration (some of it superficial if course) for it not to seem too linear. Everything in FFIX is worth doing and experiencing. There's no fluff to pad it out and make it seem bigger than it is. Yet it's still a 60 odd hour game. I almost never finish open world rpgs. Still never seen the ending credits in an Elder Scrolls game and I'm usually exhausted by them after the 40 mark because repetition sets in.

Replayed FFIX earlier this year and still absolutely loved it. Some of the dialogue, especially between Zidane and Vivi, is incredibly natural and conversational. They did a great job localising it.

The best thing about it is still the pre-rendered backdrops though. They still look (or feel) more detailed and imaginative than any open world game I've played which end up reusing assets, inevitably. The artstyle itself is still one of the most unique and well-realised in a game. Almost feels like a Terry Pratchet book at times.

My only real criticism of it are the battles being too slow. I dunno if the updated ones on Steam have speed up options like 12, though I wouldn't be caught dead playing anything other than the original. Can't abide those ugly mobile phone text boxes and too-high resolution character models.

Still not sure of the efficacy of Kuja as a baddie, but I guess he fits most definitions well enough.

As for VII, I still love it. It's silly but has a lot going for it. Interesting futuristic setting with lots of very cool locations, Guardian Force gathering, etc.

FFVII definitely feels dated compared to the 2 after it. Blocky characters and pretty bad localisation. Still enjoyable taking it on its merits though. It just needed cleaning up really. It'll always be iconic and archetypal.

On this topic, has anyone played Octopath Traveler yet? Looks like an old school JRPG fan's dream.
14.07.2018 - 13:20
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Mercurial on 14.07.2018 at 12:44

If anything open world games have made me enjoy the classic FFs even more.

The best thing about it is still the pre-rendered backdrops though. They still look (or feel) more detailed and imaginative than any open world game I've played which end up reusing assets, inevitably.

Exactly how I feel. Somehow it is easier for me to feel like I am actually there inside the story with pre-rendered or even eagle-eye (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale) games. I guess it is because not only is the artwork superior to fully rendered 3D environments, but also it is good to leave something up to the imagination. When the artwork suggests rather plainly shows what the world is like and your brain does the rest, it leads to some truly immersive escapism.
----
14.07.2018 - 13:26
Mercurial
Written by Metren on 14.07.2018 at 13:20

Exactly how I feel. Somehow it is easier for me to feel like I am actually there inside the story with pre-rendered or even eagle-eye (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale) games. I guess it is because not only is the artwork superior to fully rendered 3D environments, but also it is good to leave something up to the imagination. When the artwork suggests rather plainly shows what the world is like and your brain does the rest, it leads to some truly immersive escapism.

Yeah, it made them feel far more book-ish in a way, especially as they didn't have voice acting either. It's a shame it's been largely abandoned for console style RPGs, though Pillars of Eternity has brought it back for Infinity Engine lovers.
16.07.2018 - 09:21
IronAngel
Well, I wouldn't compare them to modern open world games per se, but the open world element was one that made them stand out at the time. I don't think they're the best narrative experiences out there, they don't have the best tactical combat, and the RP elements of choice are negligible. But it was a combination of all those serviceable aspects, the gorgeous aesthetics (visual and musical) and the sense of freedom to find secrets in a big world that made them feel special. Looking backward, I feel the world map (especially in the 3D games) is mostly an ugly gimmick, where you're offered a very thin veil of illusory freedom to actually just walk between two villages and maybe check out a cave, trudging through pixel soup and unwanted random encounters to get there. I may be a bit harsh but the point is, many games have aged well - this aspect of FFs, at least, has not. I much prefer how the world map is handled in Chrono Trigger, or exploration more generally in Baldur's Gate 1 (even 2), Geneforge or Fallout. They don't feel dated at all.

I still think there are fantastic elements about them, especially IX. It is one of my favorite game worlds, hands down. Every place is gorgeous and has its distinct atmosphere. But given the depth of its story and the complexity of its gameplay (i.e. not much), it didn't need to be a 60-hour game. Not in retrospect, anyway.
17.07.2018 - 20:15
VIG
Account deleted

Loved 2, 3,

You mean 4 and 6?
17.07.2018 - 21:13
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by [user id=159927] on 17.07.2018 at 20:15

You mean 4 and 6?

Was stationed on Guam, close to Japan. were sold on the base exchange, in English, as 2 and 3.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.07.2018 - 21:19
VIG
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 17.07.2018 at 21:13

Was stationed on Guam, close to Japan. were sold on the base exchange, in English, as 2 and 3.

Yeah I know in English its 2 and 3 and a lot of people know it as 2 and 3, I was just yanking your chain.

I played 6 for a while and just recently re-started 7. Such good gamez.
17.07.2018 - 22:10
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by [user id=159927] on 17.07.2018 at 21:19

Yeah I know in English its 2 and 3 and a lot of people know it as 2 and 3, I was just yanking your chain.

I played 6 for a while and just recently re-started 7. Such good gamez.

was just showing how KVLT i was... doing 7 now, but on hold. stuck underneath the saucer in the desert. forgot how to advance, got sidetracked with other games.
----

17.08.2018 - 22:26
ylside
Staff
I just began Unavowed.
For those interested in point and click adventure games, do check !
22.08.2018 - 15:39
Mercurial
New gameplay from Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. Looks seriously good.

No more i-frames :'( You can jump now though.
25.08.2018 - 16:45
IronAngel
Blergh, I've been unable to complete a solo game for months now. I've left D:OS, Wasteland 2, Dragon's Dogma, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.:SoC unfinished, fiddled around a bit with Sunless Sea, barely got started with Pathologic and struggling to continue Dishonored 2.

I did get really inspired playing Nier: Automata with my wife, and gonna start one (or all three) of Oxenfree, The Testament of Sherlock Holmes and Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok next.

But I can't decide what to play myself. I really want to fry the big fish, but having so little time to play by myself it's a big commitment: either Persona 4 or D:OS2. I would have to buy the latter, I have P4 already. Fuck these 80+ hour games, it should be illegal to put in more than 50 hours' content.

EDIT: Ooh, I just noiced they're rolling out a D:OS2 Definitive Edition a week from now. I guess this is the time to get on it.
25.08.2018 - 23:39
Mercurial
Written by IronAngel on 25.08.2018 at 16:45

EDIT: Ooh, I just noiced they're rolling out a D:OS2 Definitive Edition a week from now. I guess this is the time to get on it.

Tempted to dive back into that again myself, considering how much they've added and ironed out. Supposedly massive amount of additions across the board, better journal, bugs gone (hopefully) and a reworked final act (which it needed) means it could be scarily good now. That being said it was already a 100+ hour game, so I'm not sure how much I want an extra 30 hours on top of that, which the last act is meant to now have. It could be quite fatiguing.
27.08.2018 - 20:09
Alex F
Written by Mercurial on 22.08.2018 at 15:39

New gameplay from Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. Looks seriously good.

No more i-frames :'( You can jump now though.

One of the few games I've been genuinely excited for in a while. Like you said, looks seriously good.
27.08.2018 - 20:11
Mercurial
Written by Alex F on 27.08.2018 at 20:09

One of the few games I've been genuinely excited for in a while. Like you said, looks seriously good.

Same. I know I'm gonna get well annoyed at it at first because I'll try playing it like Bloodborne and get my ass handed to me, lel. I just hope it has a reasonably varied and interesing art style throughout, given the very specific setting.
27.08.2018 - 20:21
Alex F
Written by Mercurial on 27.08.2018 at 20:11

Same. I know I'm gonna get well annoyed at it at first because I'll try playing it like Bloodborne and get my ass handed to me, lel. I just hope it has a reasonably varied and interesing art style throughout, given the very specific setting.

I think I'll enjoy it even more if it forces me to get used to a new play style. As much as I love Bloodborne, any combat style runs the risk of getting boring to me if I start seeing it too much in other games. The combat differences between Dark Souls and Bloodborne were just enough that it genuinely felt like a new experience and took me a bit to adjust, but not so much to make it feel completely foreign. That's kind of what I'm expecting out of Sekiro.
27.08.2018 - 21:43
Metren
Dreadrealm
I am hyped. I am so goddam fucking hyped.

----
31.08.2018 - 01:08
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Can't wait for CP2077... working through the Witcher 3 Game+ mode now... also chasing trophies in Diablo 3 (level 70 with 6 classes) and trying to get into DragonAge Spanish Inquisition.

also going to check out the clusterfuck that is Destiny 2... as a PS Plus member, was just offered for free. I figure at the only cost being hard drive space on the PS4 (adios for now, Skryim) it's worth a shot.
----

01.09.2018 - 12:36
ylside
Staff
Cyberpunk 2077 does feel like it's going to be great indeed
01.09.2018 - 12:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I am interested in Skygrim.
Gonna try it later

I have been played Mafia 1 long long time ago, 2 it was 3 years since I did it. Now I re play it and actually bought Joes (No not MS old pal) adventures, I will buy Jimmy Vendetta and Betrayer of Jimmy.

Later this year mafia 3 will be on play list. Later Medal Of Honor Afga and Warfighter, Recon Ghosts, Need For Speed.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.09.2018 - 20:14
Metren
Dreadrealm
8 hours into Tales of Berseria, the first Tales game I've played and the first JRPG I've played in ages. A pretty standard revenge-themed story so far, with some inspiration (hero's and the villain's motivations, personalities, appearances, and actions) seemingly drawn from Berserk (even the name of the prosperous and seemingly safe Migdland is like Berserk's Midland). I like it well enough so far, though the combat can be confusing at times and the graphics are far from the best games of recent years have to offer. Waiting for some further exploration of characters and their motivations and for the story to really pick up the pace. So far so good(ish).
----
02.09.2018 - 21:09
Mercurial
Written by Metren on 02.09.2018 at 20:14

8 hours into Tales of Berseria, the first Tales game I've played and the first JRPG I've played in ages. A pretty standard revenge-themed story so far, with some inspiration (hero's and the villain's motivations, personalities, appearances, and actions) seemingly drawn from Berserk (even the name of the prosperous and seemingly safe Migdland is like Berserk's Midland). I like it well enough so far, though the combat can be confusing at times and the graphics are far from the best games of recent years have to offer. Waiting for some further exploration of characters and their motivations and for the story to really pick up the pace. So far so good(ish).

In terms of characters and story it's probably the best since Symphonia (although I'm biased and played that when young; in modern terms it's probably worse than Berseria). The main issue with it is the lack of interesting environments. By the end of the game - and it's a pretty long game - I was sick of generic cave / field / castle etc. They're just so uninspired and bland and feel like they took 5 minutes to make. Shame because otherwise it's not bad for a JRPG. I think going full 3D to the Tales series did it no favours.
02.09.2018 - 21:57
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Mercurial on 02.09.2018 at 21:09

In terms of characters and story it's probably the best since Symphonia (although I'm biased and played that when young; in modern terms it's probably worse than Berseria). The main issue with it is the lack of interesting environments. By the end of the game - and it's a pretty long game - I was sick of generic cave / field / castle etc. They're just so uninspired and bland and feel like they took 5 minutes to make. Shame because otherwise it's not bad for a JRPG. I think going full 3D to the Tales series did it no favours.

I am already pretty bored with the game's look tbh Though the opening village was pretty nice. Still, graphics don't mean as much to me as story and characters in an RPG, especially a JRPG, so it's not a big issue. I am really looking forward to seeing how Velvet develops and discovering what the main villain's (is he even really a villain) motives are. Overly dramatic JRPG plots and characters man, gotta love 'em
----
02.09.2018 - 22:10
Mercurial
Written by Metren on 02.09.2018 at 21:57

I am already pretty bored with the game's look tbh Though the opening village was pretty nice. Still, graphics don't mean as much to me as story and characters in an RPG, especially a JRPG, so it's not a big issue. I am really looking forward to seeing how Velvet develops and discovering what the main villain's (is he even really a villain) motives are. Overly dramatic JRPG plots and characters man, gotta love 'em

Well you might feel different after slogging through the umpteenth super long bland dungeon, but the fact I made it nearly to the end based on the characters and story alone bodes well for you. I gave up on Tales of Zestiria and Xillia after about a few hours so definitely better than those
05.09.2018 - 01:04
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Destiny 2...

was a fun game for a bit, shooting stuff up, loved the Warlock's Flaming Justice Blade attack or whatever. But at nearly 80gb was taking up way too much space out of my 500gb hard drive. Had to delete Skyrim (and other games) just to DL it. A few days later, out comes the new season and ANOTHER 36gb of content. Just not worth the space requirement.
----

05.09.2018 - 01:13
Zap
Written by BitterCOld on 05.09.2018 at 01:04

Destiny 2...

was a fun game for a bit, shooting stuff up, loved the Warlock's Flaming Justice Blade attack or whatever. But at nearly 80gb was taking up way too much space out of my 500gb hard drive. Had to delete Skyrim (and other games) just to DL it. A few days later, out comes the new season and ANOTHER 36gb of content. Just not worth the space requirement.

I honestly have no clue how much space games usually take up, but that seems like a ridiculous amount. And, judging by what I have heard and read about the Destiny series, it doesn't sound like it justifies it in (worthwhile) content.

Then again, I have never played Destiny, so it might as well be the biggest bestest thing ever made.