Metal Storm logo
Guitar Picks

Original post

Posted by Lord TJ, 19.12.2007 - 23:12
Im surprised theres not a thread for this already!

What thickness of picks do you guys use and why do you prefer that thickness? What brand of picks do you use and why? Discuss anything that has to do with picks!

I currently use Dog Brain Picks, I saw them on the Internet, they came in a tin of 12 and they were on sale, so I thought why not? I searched for 1mm sizes because that thickness that im used to helps me pull out heavier sounds. I like the grip on these picks I have, its plastic dots that stick out.

Past picks I had in the past with rubber grips sucked! When my hand would slip that rubber would slip easily, these plastic dots that stick out help grip whether my hand is sweaty or not.
11.02.2009 - 08:26
ANGEL REAPER
I use homemade picks.....probably less than 0.73mm....
They are made of plastic glass nylon......
They glide fast........
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
06.04.2009 - 17:26
TormentoR.
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 11.02.2009 at 08:26

I use homemade picks.....probably less than 0.73mm....
They are made of plastic glass nylon......
They glide fast........

Can we see pics of those " Homemade picks " ?
----

Evil undisguised
Breathe in pain
Blackened souls remain
06.04.2009 - 22:14
ANGEL REAPER
Well there is nothing to see...you just take some plastic bottle and cut out triangle shape peace....that are homemade picks
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
08.04.2009 - 13:25
TormentoR.
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 06.04.2009 at 22:14

Well there is nothing to see...you just take some plastic bottle and cut out triangle shape peace....that are homemade picks

oh i thought theres more .. well anyway im gona try that out. tell me, is that only for acoustic guitar or is it good for electric too??
----

Evil undisguised
Breathe in pain
Blackened souls remain
08.04.2009 - 18:35
-Soulreaper-
Ive been using the Dunlop Tortex .88mm picks and they work great for me.
08.04.2009 - 19:36
TormentoR.
Written by -Soulreaper- on 08.04.2009 at 18:35

i just got a Dunlop .73mm today. and i must say is rly nice to play. its better than my old picks
----

Evil undisguised
Breathe in pain
Blackened souls remain
08.04.2009 - 19:41
-Soulreaper-
Written by TormentoR. on 08.04.2009 at 19:36

Written by -Soulreaper- on 08.04.2009 at 18:35

i just got a Dunlop .73mm today. and i must say is rly nice to play. its better than my old picks

Yeah, I used the .73mm for a long time and around the beginning of the year i started using the .88mm. I like them better, feels like I have more feedback from the strings to the pick.
13.04.2009 - 12:15
ANGEL REAPER
Written by TormentoR. on 08.04.2009 at 13:25

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 06.04.2009 at 22:14

oh i thought theres more .. well anyway im gona try that out. tell me, is that only for acoustic guitar or is it good for electric too??

It's peak anything.....From acoustic,electric to bass......Try it its cheap way to make a peak...
----
03.06.2009 - 10:31
Sy-Furr
I make my only picks. I work in a machine shop so I use a CNC mill to cut out the basic shape. I cut them out of a sheet of delrin that's .040" thick. (about 1.14mm). Then I hand sand them a little. They are close to shape of jazz picks. But the most important I do is sand blast them. This gives them the prefect texture that grips very well but not weird cuts or bumps or whatever. My pick are pretty close to the texture of Dunlop Tortex style picks.

Sand blasting your picks works great. you do it to any pick and it makes it nice and grippy!
26.03.2010 - 02:36
Nighthowls
Paratrooper
Whats up with metal picks? exactly whats their purpose?
27.03.2010 - 04:48
Archetype
Currently using: Jim Dunlop 1.0mm Nylon.

Not bad but certainly not the most durable, either.
28.03.2010 - 04:11
Got Mayhem?
I usually use Dunlop Gators, 1.14 mm or above (usually 1.5). For acoustic I usually go half that with plastic material.
----
28.03.2010 - 18:07
Sunioj
Written by Nighthowls on 26.03.2010 at 02:36

I used to use a metal pick with my bass, it sounded really abrasive and excellent. The sound was way different than that of a normal synthetic pick (which is normally, less narrow than metal picks). I remember playing so much that metal dust would accumulate on my pickups.
29.03.2010 - 07:27
Nighthowls
Paratrooper
Written by Sunioj on 28.03.2010 at 18:07

I used to use a metal pick with my bass, it sounded really abrasive and excellent. The sound was way different than that of a normal synthetic pick (which is normally, less narrow than metal picks). I remember playing so much that metal dust would accumulate on my pickups.

so they generate better sound?
30.03.2010 - 04:46
Sunioj
Written by Nighthowls on 29.03.2010 at 07:27

Written by Sunioj on 28.03.2010 at 18:07

so they generate better sound?

It's different... for me it was better since I like the narrow attack angle and the sound. It's all up to personal preference.
19.09.2010 - 07:11
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
I play a variety of guitar picks.. its more of a hobby of collecting different picks and trying them out
i use;

Dunlop tortex 1.0 (blue)... for lead guitar and general playing (when i use regular gauge strings)
Dunlop tortex .73 (yellow)... for rythm guitar (when i use thick gauge strings)
Dunlop tortex .73 (yellow - pointy edge) ... if i'm playing fast rythm with lots of pinch harmonics
Dunlop Ultex .73 (transparent yellow)... great for general playing (when i use thick gauge strings)
Dunlop gator .73 (purple)... great for general playing, good for lead (best with thick gauge strings)
Dunlop 1.0 Max grip (Dark grey)... for when i play for long and my hand starts to get sweaty (good for lead playing)
Dunlop .88 Max grip (medium grey)... for when i play for a long time and i get sweaty (good for rythm playing)
Dunlop .73 Max grip (Light grey)... "same as above" (but with thick gauge strings)
Fender Slim .3 (transparent blue).. for acoustic play mainly
Planet wave .5 (orange) ... i use it occasionally as it is really comfortable to play with.. usually with acoustic though
Dunlop tortex 1.5 bass pick (purple) ... for when i play bass (obviously )
i also use a Jackson pick with a skull on it (dont know its thickness) .. but its a good "tiny" pick that is about as small as the tip of your thumb.. good for pinch harmonics

well, these are the main ones i use regularly.. others are just for my collection but i dont use'em
PS: i have a Zakk Wylde Signature pick

@ Nighthowls: Metal picks DESTROY strings ! maybe they work good on bass but if used on a guitar you can clearly see the strings wearing off and becoming thinner at the place you pick.. i think they're very impractical, they're probably made to be necklaces (they usually have holes at the top to be fitted on necklace thing) .. i have two of them, one aluminum and the other one is chrome i guess.
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
22.09.2010 - 18:16
RockeRoy
I've used jazz 3 for years but i'm using the small dunlop 1.mm now more and more. they are both small witch i like, but the dunlop ones got much more punch. can actualy hear the difference realy easy. and if you drop your pics to the floor you can check the punch in your pics by listening to the sound it makes. more sound is good and a brighter sound is good for punch. the ones with bad punch actualy sound a bit "hollow" empty ha ha... just check it out! hard to explain the sounds:)
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
28.11.2010 - 05:43
Alex Smith
I use 0.7 mm guitar picks, they are black with golden inscription "Planet Waves". I also order picks from Germany - these are with Mickey Mouse image - just imagine: hairy rockers perform on a stage and throw that kind'a picks! That's smart. It's good if you have a good sense of humor
14.12.2010 - 14:22
Julko
Epic thread!

I use Dunlop Jazz III (think they're 1mm something)
Small picks, less material that sticks out and might cause problem
----
You dun goofed
31.12.2010 - 23:22
Mundus
Alice 1.5mm .
15.01.2011 - 13:55
Written by Julko on 14.12.2010 at 14:22

Epic thread!

I use Dunlop Jazz III (think they're 1mm something)
Small picks, less material that sticks out and might cause problem

i think 1.35 or there abouts.
great pick.
they also make an xl version because its a tiny pick in diameter. i find that to work great, but i use the smaller one and its great, it has good grip unlike most other picks i have tried and a slippery pick is one of the worst things for a guitarist to come across D: good pick!
16.01.2011 - 17:04
ANGEL REAPER
Currently I am using .46mm picks for electric guitar
This picks are great for playing on thin strings both for fast and slow things,but with them you can hear it clicking while picking though...
----
29.01.2011 - 22:46
Don Martin
le fu-
Dunlop Jazz III are the best picks in teh world!
----
What a tackastrophe!
30.01.2011 - 00:51
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I now have a Pick of Destiny given to me by a german buddy as my main pick, i lost most of my other ones but i hope i won't lose this one cause it's too awesome
20.05.2011 - 17:53
Razorback
I'm using Dunlop 1mm for a long time.
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
20.05.2011 - 21:02
Yasmine
Textured Dunlops 2.0, Dunlop Stubbies 3.0
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
25.05.2011 - 20:30
NyarlathoTim
Written by Don Martin on 29.01.2011 at 22:46

Dunlop Jazz III are the best picks in teh world!

I agree! I love Jazz III!

Written by Zombie on 19.09.2010 at 07:11

Dunlop tortex 1.5 bass pick (purple) ... for when i play bass (obviously )

I like thin picks for bass, like around .50mm. If I use thick picks, I end up gripping too hard and my hand starts aching. That goes away when I use thin ones.
----
Burning Shadows - US Power Metal
Recently Vacated Graves - Zombie Metal
Isenmor - Folk Metal
28.05.2011 - 19:03
Sammol
Dunlop Tortex 1.0

It has the best texture so far.
16.06.2011 - 06:27
Grody2themax
I've been using some Heavy Dunlop gels lately. Idk what they are, but I wanted to try to it because I thought the gels might be good for nonslippage and theyre really grippy.

Another thing I do to all my picks now is sharpen them on the carpet. Watch this vid, Im so glad I happened to come across it one day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyYKT0SzrBo
25.08.2011 - 20:58
Glaucus
For guitar I use the Jazz III as well, only reason being that before using the Jazz III I used more 'flimsy' picks, and... It was just difficult for me to do anything technical. But! The Jazz III is small, sturdy, and I have a really easy time gripping it.

I have like, 40 of the things in a case somewhere, I doubt I'd use anything else, haha.
----
"Pretty easy work, for a God." - Freya ~ Valkyrie Profile