Metal Storm logo
The Metal Storm Awards 2007

Original post

Posted by Lucas, 01.03.2008 - 15:55
Discuss everything concering the MetalStorm Awards 2007 here. I'd like to say one thing though:

Remember, these result are based on all YOUR votes. Don't blame us for band x winning, blame the majority. Or better yet, thank the majority, as you can feel special disagreeing with the mob. We know you all like that, don't you?
02.03.2008 - 17:26
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Imo you can't vote for best albums based only on some tracks you've heard on myspace, without having heard the whole album, that's why I think that people who hadn't heard all the nominated albums (myself included) shouldn't have voted.
If people who haven't heard all nominated albums still vote for the best albums, the ending results don't reflect the actual best releases anymore. I wasn't whining a la "oh no I didn't get to vote", I was stating that imo people shouldn't vote if they haven't heard all the nominated albums, and then I simply explained why I didn't vote.
02.03.2008 - 17:57
wrathchild
Staff
Written by [user id=23267] on 02.03.2008 at 17:26

Imo you can't vote for best albums based only on some tracks you've heard on myspace, without having heard the whole album, that's why I think that people who hadn't heard all the nominated albums (myself included) shouldn't have voted.
If people who haven't heard all nominated albums still vote for the best albums, the ending results don't reflect the actual best releases anymore. I wasn't whining a la "oh no I didn't get to vote", I was stating that imo people shouldn't vote if they haven't heard all the nominated albums, and then I simply explained why I didn't vote.

Of course you're right but is there a way to change that? The only thing I could think of would be to reduce the nominees to only three, if not two names, and then this would be completely useless to have awards going on.

I think this year's results are good, I mean, yeah, the bigger bands won, but yet there were more smaller bands and those bands got more votes than what they would have got a few years ago.

Now, perhaps we could add/create new categories so to distinguish prog/power bands from prog bands, for instance, but I'm seriously annoyed by the already huge number of categories we have here. Perhaps grouping them into more important groups, like "Extreme", "Melodic", "Alternative". Nah, wouldn't be good...
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
02.03.2008 - 17:58
NOИ
ok since I'm listening only to black metal I'm checking black metal bands results right now...

Rotting Christ's Theogonia deserve the first place because they evolved the melodic black metal / dark metal sound to something more ethnic (!!!) etc. I can understand why you voted it.

but I disagree with the Dimmu Borgir - In Sorte Diaboli (only n00bs voted this), Sigh - Hangman's Hymn (haven't heard it actually, but Sigh in black metal awards ? wtf ?) and Drudkh - Estrangement (don't like them anyway).

Shining also did not deserve the 3rd place because Forgotten Tomb's Negative Megalomania album is much better. and why Watain are 4th and not 2cd ? their album was better than Mayhem's!

DSO 8th, I can understand this, because they are more underground maybe. but why Marduk last ? the album was ok and deserve and average 6-7 in my opinion.

and finally, I cannot see Arkhon Infaustus - Orthodoxyn and Impaled Nazarene - Manifest (rated with 99% at metal-archives.com). seems that nobody like them here... weird.
02.03.2008 - 18:06
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Written by wrathchild on 02.03.2008 at 17:57

Of course you're right but is there a way to change that? The only thing I could think of would be to reduce the nominees to only three, if not two names, and then this would be completely useless to have awards going on.

I think this year's results are good, I mean, yeah, the bigger bands won, but yet there were more smaller bands and those bands got more votes than what they would have got a few years ago.

Now, perhaps we could add/create new categories so to distinguish prog/power bands from prog bands, for instance, but I'm seriously annoyed by the already huge number of categories we have here. Perhaps grouping them into more important groups, like "Extreme", "Melodic", "Alternative". Nah, wouldn't be good...

I don't have anything against the results, tbh. Actually, now that I think it over I guess you're right, these kind of votings will probably always remain sth like popularity contests, and maybe it is kind of useless to expect every voter to be familiar with all noteworthy releases from categories they vote in.
02.03.2008 - 19:32
Nacur
You know, I also didn't agree with most of the results....but, I do not think that the winners are the point in the awards, but the thing I really enjoy is the nomination, and the bands that were nominated this year were pretty good! Shame on the metalheads that did not listened to them, their loss...

At least Alcest won the debut album...hehe

I almost cried, no i didn't, when I saw the results of Avantgarde, Post and Alternative...because I had a lot of "work" listening to almost all the albums to make a choice...and I saw that people really didn't care....
02.03.2008 - 19:38
Torelli

Now, perhaps we could add/create new categories so to distinguish prog/power bands from prog bands, for instance, but I'm seriously annoyed by the already huge number of categories we have here.

I agree here. More catagories would only lead to more work for the staff/moderators, ending up that even more people being disapointed in the results. If you have a diverse taste in metal, going through 10-11 albums/catagory is hard enough as it is. Adding more would only make it harder to vote fairly.
02.03.2008 - 21:37
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Torelli on 02.03.2008 at 19:38

Now, perhaps we could add/create new categories so to distinguish prog/power bands from prog bands, for instance, but I'm seriously annoyed by the already huge number of categories we have here.

I agree here. More catagories would only lead to more work for the staff/moderators, ending up that even more people being disapointed in the results. If you have a diverse taste in metal, going through 10-11 albums/catagory is hard enough as it is. Adding more would only make it harder to vote fairly.

Agreed as well. Just looking at "Progressive Metal", which bands fall under that category? Between the Buried and Me, and the Dillinger Escape Plan both put out albums that were far more progressive than the rather uninspiring Symphony X album. But should we then have a "Melodic Prog", "Extreme Prog" and "Progcore" categories?
----
(space for rent)
02.03.2008 - 21:52
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Or just abolish Prog as a whole. (I'm not saying this because I dislike the genre, but because I think Prog is too wide of a genre tag. Same thing also goes for Avant-Garde, for example. But there are probably reasons for it..)
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
02.03.2008 - 22:01
Torelli
Written by Lucas on 02.03.2008 at 21:52

Or just abolish Prog as a whole. (I'm not saying this because I dislike the genre, but because I think Prog is too wide of a genre tag. Same thing also goes for Avant-Garde, for example. But there are probably reasons for it..)

I don't know if taking away prog would be such a good thing, considering it's a pretty well estamplished and recooniched subgengre. But I agree with you about Avant-Garde and I also want to add Alternative metal aswell, not that they are anthing wrong with those gengres, but they are well to broad to limit to only 10 bands.
02.03.2008 - 22:03
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Torelli on 02.03.2008 at 22:01

Written by Lucas on 02.03.2008 at 21:52

I don't know if taking away prog would be such a good thing, considering it's a pretty well estamplished and recooniched subgengre. But I agree with you about Avant-Garde and I also want to add Alternative metal aswell, not that they are anthing wrong with those gengres, but they are well to broad to limit to only 10 bands.

Yeah, it's not like I think it will ever happen, as it is indeed to commonly used. But still.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
03.03.2008 - 12:30
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
Written by NOИ on 02.03.2008 at 17:58

Sigh - Hangman's Hymn (haven't heard it actually, but Sigh in black metal awards ? wtf ?)

Shining also did not deserve the 3rd place because Forgotten Tomb's Negative Megalomania album is much better. and why Watain are 4th and not 2cd ? their album was better than Mayhem's!

If you didn't hear Sigh's album, then how are you in a position to judge what style they are?

Forgotten Tomb, if anywhere, would've been put in Extreme Doom.
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
03.03.2008 - 15:21
NOИ
Written by Raiden on 03.03.2008 at 12:30

Sigh - Hangman's Hymn (haven't heard it actually, but Sigh in black metal awards ? wtf ?)

If you didn't hear Sigh's album, then how are you in a position to judge what style they are?

I know what they are playing, I just haven't heard this album yet. and I'm sure they are not gonna change music genre in one album only...
03.03.2008 - 15:26
Lord Grim
Pfft... I think my seven year old brother could've chosen better bands for 2007. These are some of the worst choices I've ever seen in my life. Ha, I cannot even believe "Metalcore" was up there. That's an abomination. Looks like the general masses truly got to MS this year. Kudos mates! Pfft. Kamelot isn't even truly Power Metal. Their musicians aren't talented enough to play Power Metal.
----
"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary in life."
03.03.2008 - 16:25
Stigmatized
Written by Lord Grim on 03.03.2008 at 15:26

Ha, I cannot even believe "Metalcore" was up there. That's an abomination.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Metalcore a metal genre?
03.03.2008 - 16:42
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
Written by NOИ on 03.03.2008 at 15:21

I know what they are playing, I just haven't heard this album yet. and I'm sure they are not gonna change music genre in one album only...

Well take a listen, and you'll hear that they fit best in the Black Metal category
----
- Bruce Dickinson

03.03.2008 - 17:37
Lord Grim
Written by Stigmatized on 03.03.2008 at 16:25

Metalcore is an abomination and it's not true metal. This genre is for those kids who think they're so "hardcore"... Ha. This is a genre, yes... Though it's something I didn't expect MetalStorm to put up. Then again, MS now features Korn... I don't need to even say anything else... That says it all...
----
"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary in life."
03.03.2008 - 17:40
Ascalon
The most of the prices are OK, but it's logical that Nightwish's album be the best surprise and the worst letdown ? xD
----
"Follow your steps and you'll find, the unknown ways are on your mind" (Angra)
03.03.2008 - 17:48
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Lord Grim on 03.03.2008 at 17:37

Metalcore is an abomination and it's not true metal. This genre is for those kids who think they're so "hardcore"... Ha. This is a genre, yes... Though it's something I didn't expect MetalStorm to put up. Then again, MS now features Korn... I don't need to even say anything else... That says it all...

Then let me apologize on behalf of the MetalStorm Staff. We are truly sorry we cannot keep up with your specific taste. To make up for our foolish decisions, we shall now make you Über-Admin, so you can guide us towards the (un-)light.

Kiddo, get a life. Korn is Metal. Metalcore is metal. Period. What you think about it, is of no importance. We are there for Metal in its broadest sense.

Tell me, why don't you focus your energy on expanding our database? You can add your favourite bands, as long as they fit in the MS's rules and guidelines.
----

03.03.2008 - 17:50
Stigma
Account deleted

Tr00 metal huh? Well I'm just wondering, if we're being tr00, then what genres exactly would be left in the end.
03.03.2008 - 19:51
NOИ
Written by Raiden on 03.03.2008 at 16:42

Well take a listen, and you'll hear that they fit best in the Black Metal category

lol fit best ? I think they are more avant-garde / experimental / thrash something, but it's ok if this is your opinion.
03.03.2008 - 21:10
Damnated
Churchburner
Quote:
Written by NOИ on 03.03.2008 at 19:51

lol fit best ? I think they are more avant-garde / experimental / thrash something, but it's ok if this is your opinion.

i agree here. new Sigh is hardly black metal.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.

03.03.2008 - 21:32
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by [user id=23267] on 02.03.2008 at 17:26

the truth is, people will vote anyways. Providing a quick and easy link to Myspace to hear samples of the other nominated artists did two things.

1. It gave voters a chance to at least HEAR the competition.

2. In the case of less popular nominated artists, linking their pages helps expose new potential fans to them.

Simply put, it would be best if all voters heard and were familiar with all albums in a category, but how realistic an expectation is that?
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
03.03.2008 - 21:52
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 03.03.2008 at 21:32

the truth is, people will vote anyways. Providing a quick and easy link to Myspace to hear samples of the other nominated artists did two things.

1. It gave voters a chance to at least HEAR the competition.

2. In the case of less popular nominated artists, linking their pages helps expose new potential fans to them.

Simply put, it would be best if all voters heard and were familiar with all albums in a category, but how realistic an expectation is that?

In case you didn't notice, some posts above when replying to Wrathchild I already admitted that it's not the most realistic of expectations and I more or less changed my mind about that, so there's no need to discuss it any further.
04.03.2008 - 03:02
Stigmatized

Bravo! I'm sorry I didn't realize you were the ultimate authority on all things metal. Apologies.
04.03.2008 - 04:10
NOИ

I disagree. true metal and all that stuff are for stupid kids who are trying to show themselves as something higher, something better. metalcore is just another genre, believe it or not! there is no true metal, it's all in your head my friend. and yes metalstorm has to include it because actually it is metal!
04.03.2008 - 04:40
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by NOИ on 04.03.2008 at 04:10

I disagree. true metal and all that stuff are for stupid kids who are trying to show themselves as something higher, something better. metalcore is just another genre, believe it or not! there is no true metal, it's all in your head my friend. and yes metalstorm has to include it because actually it is metal!

Agreed, its usually "Those kids who think theyre so hardcore" that are too self-conscious to listen to anything that isn't tr00. Like I've said a couple billion times, I don't think Ive met anyone over the age of 16 who still keeps this attitude.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
04.03.2008 - 05:07
NOИ
Written by Doc G. on 04.03.2008 at 04:40

Agreed, its usually "Those kids who think theyre so hardcore" that are too self-conscious to listen to anything that isn't tr00. Like I've said a couple billion times, I don't think Ive met anyone over the age of 16 who still keeps this attitude.

with one word: immaturity! even in black metal I have seen many posers and stupid 18 years old kiddos with a pseudo-elitistic attitude. they are listening black metal 24/24 and they are so tr00 and misanthropic like my ass! I say, go back to your caves or stop listening music at all!
04.03.2008 - 05:28
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by NOИ on 04.03.2008 at 05:07

Written by Doc G. on 04.03.2008 at 04:40

with one word: immaturity! even in black metal I have seen many posers and stupid 18 years old kiddos with a pseudo-elitistic attitude. they are listening black metal 24/24 and they are so tr00 and misanthropic like my ass! I say, go back to your caves or stop listening music at all!

Especially coming from another North American....we're not Norwegian, quit trying to act like it.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
04.03.2008 - 13:30
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
Written by NOИ on 03.03.2008 at 19:51

Written by Raiden on 03.03.2008 at 16:42

Yes, I agree that their older stuff was along those lines, and yes some of those elements are still included, but there is a definite slice of Black Metal in the mix.
----
- Bruce Dickinson

04.03.2008 - 14:37
Seppo
Account deleted
Quite happy to have seen the As I Lay Dying album appear in the Metalcore section, even if not mentioned for being voted. Why has it been excluded? It's surely better than Resurrection, imho (don't know about the other albums in competition, i have not listened any of them).

Cla.