Metal Storm logo
How To Pronounce Band Names

Original post

Posted by Daru Jericho, 21.05.2006 - 14:33
Post here band names you have difficulty or are unsure how to pronounce. Hopefully someone will know the answer!

As for me:
Akercocke
Anaal Nathrakh
27.05.2006 - 20:51
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Yes, I think you just sort of 'swallow' the L.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
27.05.2006 - 21:01
__Az__
Written by [user id=3104] on 27.05.2006 at 19:00

Im pretty sure thats correct Trifixion.

yeh, I agree...
29.05.2006 - 15:16
Icewings
La Luna
Hey this is such an interesting thing Lol ... well I know I pronounced weird because of my accent , I mean yeah I mainly speak spanish and english but sometimes a little italian accent comes LOL so I know that maybe I pronounced them weird but well , as for Aesma Daeva I said like Aesh-MA DA-E-VA I'm not sure is is like that but well like someone said yeah sometimes it doesn't really matter but other times yeah like let's say Baron Rojo which is in spanish is important pronounce it the right way because it is something , like is not a word that you put together or like Tierra santa as for Akercocke I say it like Baz show us ...

well I do have a question ?? and yeah is not band but name of the song by Moonsorrow I don't know how in the world do you pronounce this , I tried how it would sound in spanish but I don't know ...

UKKOSENJUMALAN POIKA
----

Metalheads for Black Lives and Land Back
29.05.2006 - 17:49
KryptoN
imperceptible
Written by Icewings on 29.05.2006 at 15:16

well I do have a question ?? and yeah is not band but name of the song by Moonsorrow I don't know how in the world do you pronounce this , I tried how it would sound in spanish but I don't know ...

UKKOSENJUMALAN POIKA

Listen to the song, the first lyrics of the song are "Minä olen ukkosenjumalan poika!" (not shown in the actual lyrics thoiugh). But I don't know if it helps at all since it's not said very clearly and stuff. I know how to pronounce it (duh, I'm Finnish) but I have no idea how to describe it in english.
29.05.2006 - 19:18
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Here are some of the ways in which I pronounce certain band names:

Anaal Nathrakh (uh-nahl nuh-thraak)
Xasthur (zahs-ther)
Drudkh (drook)
Demilich (dee-mill-ish)
Leng T'che (layn-chay)
Myrkskog (meerks-kahg)
Xysma (Zeyes-maw)
!T.O.O.H.! (too)
29.05.2006 - 20:41
Dragonheart
Account deleted
I don't know the band Demilich, but I'd think it's supposed to be a play with "lich" (as in undead person) and "demi-god" and pronounced accordingly.
30.05.2006 - 03:07
Daru Jericho
I think Myrkskog is to be pronounced 'Mirk-skog', as Myrkwood is a place in Middle-earth and skog is Norweigan for wood/forest.

As for Demilich. I like this band and I think it's pronounced 'dem-mill-lich'
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

30.05.2006 - 05:41
Mega-Slayer
How about:
Behemoth
Burzum
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
30.05.2006 - 05:49
Trifixion
Account deleted
Behemoth: Beh-He-Muth (or Meth)
Burzum: I'm pretty sure it's Ber-Zuhm
30.05.2006 - 06:20
Icewings
La Luna
Written by KryptoN on 29.05.2006 at 17:49

Written by Icewings on 29.05.2006 at 15:16

UKKOSENJUMALAN POIKA

Listen to the song, the first lyrics of the song are "Minä olen ukkosenjumalan poika!" (not shown in the actual lyrics thoiugh). But I don't know if it helps at all since it's not said very clearly and stuff. I know how to pronounce it (duh, I'm Finnish) but I have no idea how to describe it in english.

Hey thanks for the respond , well yeah I will look today in my cd's and get the song , and maybe I should pay more attention and get it , thank you and don't know I know is difficult ....I understand ... ...it just you know accents and is so different the way you guys speak but I like it ....
----

30.05.2006 - 06:57
KryptoN
imperceptible
Okay well, I tried to explain it with (parts of) English words and I guess I found a way. First the part in question and then an example English word or a part of an English word (colored part) to simulate the spelling.

"Ukkosenjumalan poika"

"uk" as in book
"ko" as in cord
"sen" as in sentence
"ju" as in you but in a very short way (like if you cut the word before you finish it)
"ma" as in mud
"lan" as in lunch

"poi" as in poison
"ka" as in cut

But it will still obviously be somewhat wrong because English is spoken so differently. But one thing to remember is that Finnish letters are always spelled the same way no matter where they are in a word (there are some rare cases when this does not apply, but no need to go into them here). An example, let's take two English words "car" and "fat". They both have the letter "a" but it's still spelled differently, while if these words were Finnish words / spelled in Finnish, the "a" would be spelled the same way in both of the words.

And lastly, I'm not claiming to be a linguist or anything like that so anyone who actually has more knowledge can always correct me.
30.05.2006 - 07:23
Icewings
La Luna
Written by KryptoN on 30.05.2006 at 06:57

Okay well, I tried to explain it with (parts of) English words and I guess I found a way. First the part in question and then an example English word or a part of an English word (colored part) to simulate the spelling.

"Ukkosenjumalan poika"

"uk" as in book
"ko" as in cord
"sen" as in sentence
"ju" as in you but in a very short way (like if you cut the word before you finish it)
"ma" as in mud
"lan" as in lunch

"poi" as in poison
"ka" as in cut

But it will still obviously be somewhat wrong because English is spoken so differently. But one thing to remember is that Finnish letters are always spelled the same way no matter where they are in a word (there are some rare cases when this does not apply, but no need to go into them here). An example, let's take two English words "car" and "fat". They both have the letter "a" but it's still spelled differently, while if these words were Finnish words / spelled in Finnish, the "a" would be spelled the same way in both of the words.

And lastly, I'm not claiming to be a linguist or anything like that so anyone who actually has more knowledge can always correct me.

Hi my dear Thank you it could not be better than that ,and you know I actually was far away from it , I don't know but the way I was saying is wrong ...Thank you for explaining and correcting me I really apreacite it, and well I think I can pronounced right now ...and well I'm sure is that way because you speak the language , and I understand you english is one of the most contradictory languages ...Thank you
----

30.05.2006 - 08:02
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
Written by [user id=8232] on 30.05.2006 at 05:49

Behemoth: Beh-He-Muth (or Meth)
Burzum: I'm pretty sure it's Ber-Zuhm

I mentioned this a while ago in the old thread, but for bands like Behemoth, Obituary, etc that have real words as their band names you can look up their pronounciation in a dictionary or other similar reference. Behemoth is like Bah (or Buh)-he-mth (there isn't really much vowel sound between the m and the th. You're basically right though.
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
31.05.2006 - 06:25
Daru Jericho
I always thought it was pronounced Buh-heer-moth but my friend always said Bay-er-moth.
----

31.05.2006 - 07:35
Icewings
La Luna
Yeah again ,my accent I always say like Behemoth I said the be as in Bee I'm not sure If I have said correctly and I'm sure I have said horrible stuff but ohh well I make my way to get understood ...
----

31.05.2006 - 23:03
fire101
Account deleted
Written by [user id=5630] on 29.05.2006 at 19:18

Here are some of the ways in which I pronounce certain band names:

Anaal Nathrakh (uh-nahl nuh-thraak)
Xasthur (zahs-ther)
Drudkh (drook)
Demilich (dee-mill-ish)
Leng T'che (layn-chay)
Myrkskog (meerks-kahg)
Xysma (Zeyes-maw)
!T.O.O.H.! (too)

I like that last one, though Im not sure how correct it is.

I always thought Leng T'che was pronounced lang chee.....?
01.06.2006 - 01:03
Korpklo
Account deleted
"-skog" in "Myrkskog" should be like "-skoog".
01.06.2006 - 12:11
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I agree with fire101 there. I pronounce it too as lang chee. Not sure about it though.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
01.06.2006 - 23:30
belgianmetalman
Account deleted
How do you pronounce 'Yngwie Malmsteen'
02.06.2006 - 01:28
Daru Jericho
I've never been too sure but I heard a radio DJ say 'Ing-wee Malm-steen' so that's how I say it.
----

02.06.2006 - 11:23
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Yes, that's exactly how I pronounce it.

Alcest? Al-sest or Al-chest?
----

03.06.2006 - 03:51
Daru Jericho
Hm...I'd say 'al-sest', the first option.
----

03.06.2006 - 07:36
Sebek
Account deleted
I was just wandering, how do you pronounce Deicide?
03.06.2006 - 08:43
KryptoN
imperceptible
Written by Icewings on 30.05.2006 at 07:23

Hi my dear Thank you it could not be better than that ,and you know I actually was far away from it , I don't know but the way I was saying is wrong ...Thank you for explaining and correcting me I really apreacite it, and well I think I can pronounced right now ...and well I'm sure is that way because you speak the language , and I understand you english is one of the most contradictory languages ...Thank you

Well, I was bored so I recorded me saying it. So if you'd like you can hear it here.

If anyone needs some more Finnish names/bandnames/songnames/etc. pronounced I can possibly record and upload them.
03.06.2006 - 09:23
Trifixion
Account deleted
Written by [user id=7229] on 03.06.2006 at 07:36

I was just wandering, how do you pronounce Deicide?

Day-(i)-side. I put the i in parentheses because you don't really annunciate it that much as far as I'm concerned.
03.06.2006 - 11:54
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Was here (and on MSv2) a few times before. I remember Richard explaining it like Day-a-side. There was something about English and American too. Man, my memory sucks.
----

04.06.2006 - 03:51
Daru Jericho
Well, I say 'day-side- too because the name is Latin for death of God and that's how the Romans would have pronounced it, possibly with the tiniest hint of an i (dey-i-cide).
----

04.06.2006 - 07:42
Icewings
La Luna
Written by KryptoN on 03.06.2006 at 08:43

Written by Icewings on 30.05.2006 at 07:23

Well, I was bored so I recorded me saying it. So if you'd like you can hear it here.

If anyone needs some more Finnish names/bandnames/songnames/etc. pronounced I can possibly record and upload them.

WOAHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!! you my dear have a beautiful voice and I love that accent ahhh and way of talking ...so so nice .....I save it in my computer so I can hear you and well I was far from the pronunciation ...I guess I have to learn more and well work with my accents too....Thank you and yeah let me see what else I want to know ........
----

04.06.2006 - 08:04
Linak
I Own You Bitch
Written by Raiden on 22.05.2006 at 08:16

Oh, you only say the Sunn part. The O))) isn't a word or pronouncable or anything. You just say Sunn (like Sun) and that's it.

wahh the answer to this was so helpful lol
----
Stick this up your fucking pee-aitch-dee.
04.06.2006 - 08:12
Aresius
Account deleted
About Yngwie Malmsteen...In his official site...it says that it is pronounced: Ing-Vai...not Ing-Wee