Metal Storm logo
Books - Something great to read (Please follow the guideline)

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 23.05.2006 - 14:39
Here you can post great books that you have read and want to recommend to other members on metalstorm.

Please Dont just post the name of book, by add who wrote the book and a genre of the book as well as a short description on it and your opinion.
A picture would be nice too.
Thx.

Il start with a book im reading now
"Life of Pi" by Yann Martel.

[img=http://img1.imageshack.us/img1/4913/lifeofpiex1kl.th.jpg]

A preposterous but utterly enchanting story about a young Indian boy adrift in a lifeboat with his good friend, a Bengal tiger, and some other zoo animals.
A story about survival, and as one charecter claims, it can make you belive in god.
Thewirting is this fisction book simple and excellent.
The book is funny and smart (and youl also find a few metal band names there )

Enjoy.
09.11.2006 - 04:30
Bararey
Winter is Coming
Elite
For fans of epic fantasy books the series of novels called A song of Ice and Fire by George R R Martin is an amazing read!
The Series is addictive, it has a rich description of characters, places, and the books are known for having twists (sudden ones )

So far there are 4 books out of the 7 in the series
1. A Game of Thrones
2. A Clash of Kings
3. A Storm of Swords
4. A Feast for Crows

And each of them is incredibly great.
The chapters are a point of view if the main characters in the books, and the end of each chapter leaves wanting more!

The story takes place in the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros, so there are kings, knights, wars etc.

It is a really amazing read, especially if you like books such as Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc.
----
"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."
Ser Jorah Mormont
09.11.2006 - 17:42
Desolate Grace
Account deleted
For any fans of great Vampire stories, you definetely should read this:

"The Silver Kiss" By ?(so sorry we forgot! She has a Vivian and a Klause in her name)

Tori-I'm actually doing a book report on this book for Honors English. I enjoyed it a lot! It wasn't too confusing, and it definetely wasn't boring! The main theme is that you must accept death and the way things are that there is just somethings you can't get out of. It was an amazing Vampiric story for teens. I loved it, I give it a 9.4 outta 10!!
10.11.2006 - 16:09
Syrack
Account deleted
Written by Bararey on 09.11.2006 at 04:30

So far there are 4 books out of the 7 in the series
1. A Game of Thrones
2. A Clash of Kings
3. A Storm of Swords
4. A Feast for Crows

And each of them is incredibly great.
The chapters are a point of view if the main characters in the books, and the end of each chapter leaves wanting more!

The story takes place in the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros, so there are kings, knights, wars etc.

It is a really amazing read, especially if you like books such as Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc.

This book is indeed great! So realistic, there you got treachery, gore, dragons, warlords and sex scenes vividly described.
I am for the Starks.
20.12.2006 - 10:42
Walter Iego
Author
Elite
I would have to recommend 99% of Dean Koontz' books, all of them are great, better than S. King I must say...
16.12.2007 - 17:04
Skeggjadr
Account deleted
At the moment I'm reading The Complete Chronicles Of Conan by Robert E. Howard. I'm know we've all heard of Conan and probably seen the Arnie films... but has anyone else read the books?

There have been a lot of Conan stories written by various authors, but they all come from the original short stories written by Howard for magazines in the 30s, and as we all know, the original is the best. And it is damn good. Robert E. Howard is seen as the creator of modern fantasy and was a big influence on Tolkien. I think that says it all.
01.01.2008 - 09:30
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
Daniel Easterman - The Final Judgement

an absolutely fantastic book, great read

its an action i guess, or even adventure, im not sure, but its good
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
01.01.2008 - 16:31
Tony Harrison
I have no arms..
The Road - Cormac McCarthy (Winner of the Pulitzer prize for fiction 2007)
I read this over Christmas and every festive feeling I oringinally had in my body was slowly drained from me in what is quite possibly the most depressing book I've ever read. But don't get me wrong, it was great!

The story revolves around the journey of man and his young son who are struggling to survive in the aftermath of some unknown apocalpytic disaster. They don't have anything except each other and spend most of the book starving, however wanting to keep his son safe the man will do anything. The feeling of emptiness and futility is sewn throughout the book and just as there is a glimmer of hope it is gone again. This is what post-apocalyptic fiction should be like and I can't recommend it enough.

I think there are plans to make it into a film later this year with Viggo Mortensen, however if possible go and grab yourself a copy of the book first!
----
This is an outrage...
20.07.2008 - 17:21
VPeter
I am curently reading Silverthorn, the second book of the Riftwar series by Raymond Feist and I really love it.
29.07.2008 - 11:25
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by [user id=25572] on 22.07.2008 at 16:19

I'm surprised no one has recommended it yet (or maybe you all read it). I think it was a amazing book on communism. Read it if you like philosophical stuff

Animal Farm- By George Orwell

A farm is taken over by the animals when the farmer mistreats them. It is exactly like the Russian Revolution, and a sort of fairy tale for adults.

Everyone says this is such a good book but no-one really gave me a reason to read it. Why should I? Because it is Orwell?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
30.07.2008 - 16:09
MetalFäng
Account deleted
Written by BloodTears on 29.07.2008 at 11:25

I'm surprised no one has recommended it yet (or maybe you all read it). I think it was a amazing book on communism. Read it if you like philosophical stuff

A farm is taken over by the animals when the farmer mistreats them. It is exactly like the Russian Revolution, and a sort of fairy tale for adults.

Everyone says this is such a good book but no-one really gave me a reason to read it. Why should I? Because it is Orwell?

Its really good satire, and exposes how stupid communism is.
30.07.2008 - 16:15
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by [user id=25572] on 30.07.2008 at 16:09

I think for some reason, Animal Farm along with 1984 is very popular particularly among metalheads... really.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
30.07.2008 - 18:31
Judas
The Amputator
I can highly recommend reading 'The Master and Margarita', by Mikhail Bulgakov. I had to study it last year at university, and initially approached it as just another book I had to read and write an essay on, but it turned out to be really awesome. Here is a book that deserves all the praise it gets. It's hard to summarise this book, but it involves three different settings. One is set in 1930s Moscow, and how the Devil is visiting it in disguise. Another is set in Jerusalem at the time of Jesus' crucifixion, which is the subject of a manuscript written by the eponymous 'Master' in the first setting. The third is a rather mystical, ethereal night world, where 'Margarita' escapes to from time to time, before becoming the host of Satan's ball. It's a fucking awesome book, maybe my 'review' doesn't do it justice, but whatever you do don't Wiki it because it'll spoil everything. Read it!
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
30.07.2008 - 22:57
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite

Sounds like the kind of book I wouldnt find very interesting but thanks for telling me.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
31.07.2008 - 19:37
Knine
Account deleted
I recommend:

1. Fear and loathing in las vegas by hunter s. Thompson - Gonzo journalism. Hilarious book

2. The electric kool-aid acid test by tom wolfe - New journalism

both great books:)
31.07.2008 - 23:01
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Judas on 30.07.2008 at 18:31

I can highly recommend reading 'The Master and Margarita', by Mikhail Bulgakov. I had to study it last year at university, and initially approached it as just another book I had to read and write an essay on, but it turned out to be really awesome. Here is a book that deserves all the praise it gets. It's hard to summarise this book, but it involves three different settings. One is set in 1930s Moscow, and how the Devil is visiting it in disguise. Another is set in Jerusalem at the time of Jesus' crucifixion, which is the subject of a manuscript written by the eponymous 'Master' in the first setting. The third is a rather mystical, ethereal night world, where 'Margarita' escapes to from time to time, before becoming the host of Satan's ball. It's a fucking awesome book, maybe my 'review' doesn't do it justice, but whatever you do don't Wiki it because it'll spoil everything. Read it!

It is indeed a great book. I was just about to read it once again. But instead I read another Bulgakov's masterpiece "Heart of a Dog." It was my first time reading it. I wouldn't call it a novel, but a novella. It is also a great example of Bulgakov's critisism of Soviet regime. And he was doing it when Stalin was in office. I can't freaking believe it. Honorable man.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
02.08.2008 - 07:53
Diluted
Account deleted
dear john by nicholas sparks
it is a book that made me laugh and cry, it is emotionally changing in my opinion. great amazing book

its about this guy who serves in the army and on leave he meets this girl he's completly in love with but he has to go back and when 9/11 strikes he has to chose betweet the love of his life and his country.

a heartbreaking book that will make you feel like you are a character from the book, an awsome read
06.08.2008 - 17:42
Elio
Red Nightmare
i've recently read some books...
"la catedral del mar" is setted in the XIVth century...it describes the life of a boy who escaped with is father to barcelona in order to not being a serve anymore. His life is full of troubles and passions...at the end is also accused by the Inquisition...I read it because everyone spoke well about this book and, even if it's not the best book ever, it's quite good...8.5/10

george orwell's "brave new world" in which is described a futuristic world where there are no feelings, births are controlled and so education, in order to make everyone stay in his social postion for ever. An "anormal" guy gets in touch with the new wolrd reality...7.5/10

books by wilbur smith always eyecatched me and finally i got "The Angels Cry"...is the 3rd book of a sreies of 4 but the story is clear though...africa, about 1850...the eternal fight between colonizers and natives...8.5/10
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
07.08.2008 - 11:27
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
Lately I've been reading a book called "Twilight" by Stephenie Meyer. It's sort of a vampire-story, but not an usual blood sucking one. It's about a girl called Bella, who moves to his dad's place back to a small town of Forks, where she used to live, when she was a child. At school she meets a guy called Edward and after a while they fall in love. But then strange things start to happen that can't be explained by common sense and eventually it becomes clear that Edward is a vampire (this is revealed already at the back cover of the book, so no spoiler here ) I haven't quite finished the book yet, so I can't know if the last two chapters include a massive amount of blood sucking, but at least by far this book has been a pleasent surprise. Of course it's mostly a romantic lovestory, but there's a lot more than that in it. I truly recommend this book. There's even a movie made of it that comes to the cinema in December I guess. The trailer is in youtube...
----
You'll never walk alone.
15.10.2008 - 16:48
Yossarian
Hi,

my favourite writers are Spanish or Latin Americans. I highly recommend "One Hundred Years of Loneliness" by Gabriel García Marquez if you can read Spanish, since, as in the film title, a great deal will be "lost in translation".

My favourite books written in English are "The Picture of Dorian Grey" -by Great Wild Oscar Wilde- and "Frankestein" -Mary Shelley-

They have not only an astonishing plot, besides the choose for words and metaphor building is superb.

And if you like poetry, please read William Blake: mystic, poet, druggy and painter -Remember the The Red Dragon movie tattoo?-

Bye,

Ross
21.10.2008 - 03:52
CartoonJunkie
Account deleted
Battle Royale by Koushun Takami

42 Japanese school kids are brought to a deserted island, each given a weapon and ordered to fight to the death. The last surviving child gets to go home.

I pretty much read it straight through because I couldn't put it down. It's very gory but it's a really good story.

There is a movie of it too.
30.10.2008 - 07:06
nana.MD
Star-Queen
Written by [user id=35428] on 21.10.2008 at 03:52

Battle Royale by Koushun Takami

42 Japanese school kids are brought to a deserted island, each given a weapon and ordered to fight to the death. The last surviving child gets to go home.

I pretty much read it straight through because I couldn't put it down. It's very gory but it's a really good story.

There is a movie of it too.

2 movies actually...but the 2nd isn't as good as the 1st one...the music is great, u should check it out...

...i recommend u to read:

aura - carlos fuentes

...it's a bizarre story involving love, death, dreams & ghosts...it's weird how a love story becomes scary and with so much suspense...a story full of emotions, mystery & erotism...a constant battle between dreams & reality...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
03.01.2009 - 01:27
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
PiHKAL (Phenethylamines I Have Known and Loved) and TiHKAL (Tryptamines I Have Known and Loved) by Alexander Shulgin
both of these books are probably the most famous books on the subject of drugs ever. on top of the actual story that takes place within each book, the last half of each book comprises of over 200 different experiment drugs (per book) that the author tested on himself, his wife and a close group of friends. the descriptions include how to synthesize each drug and different descriptions depending on dosage. crazy, crazy books.

The Gulag Archipelago by Alexandr Solzhenitsyn is an autobiography about how the author was a once high ranking officer in the Red Army in Russia and was falsely imprisoned on obviously fraudulent charges. his book provides the view of the world through his eyes and its probably one of the most dismal and depressing descriptions of humanity i have ever read. definitely recommended if you're into dense and intelligently written books.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
08.04.2009 - 13:36
Elio
Red Nightmare
Oscar Wilde - The Pictur Of Dorian Gray

The plot is simple but never predictable. But the main reason to read it is to have a new perspective about edonism and luxury.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
18.04.2009 - 20:57
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Anthony Bozza & Slash: Slash

I'm not much a reader, but I almost ate this book with my eyes. It's a biography of ex Guns N' Roses lead guitarist, now Velvet's Revolver mastermind, Soul Hudson - Slash. I have been a fan of GNR for over 15 years and even though the stories about the band were always the hit of the thrashy maganiznes, this book just describses them as they were, not to make a big deal out if it, but as they were. It describes everything from Slash being a youngling chasing around LA with him BMX, how he got his first guitars, how he met his fellows from GNR al to the highlight of the band, his alcohol and drug addiction, love life, family life, friendship and finally the fall of GNR. I think every GNR fan is gonna love this book.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
19.04.2009 - 02:38
tulkas
el parcero
Written by AnGina-- on 18.04.2009 at 20:57

Anthony Bozza & Slash: Slash
I'm not much a reader, but I almost ate this book with my eyes. It's a biography of ex Guns N' Roses lead guitarist, now Velvet's Revolver mastermind, Soul Hudson - Slash. I have been a fan of GNR for over 15 years and even though the stories about the band were always the hit of the thrashy maganiznes, this book just describses them as they were, not to make a big deal out if it, but as they were. It describes everything from Slash being a youngling chasing around LA with him BMX, how he got his first guitars, how he met his fellows from GNR al to the highlight of the band, his alcohol and drug addiction, love life, family life, friendship and finally the fall of GNR. I think every GNR fan is gonna love this book.

somehow i've never felt attraced to this kind of books of people's biographies. for som reason i don't find it intersting, and for me to be able to read something it has to call my attention. but, glad you enjoyed it anyway
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
19.04.2009 - 10:05
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Oh well, if this thread is about fantasy/fiction literature, then I apologize....
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
19.04.2009 - 11:01
tulkas
el parcero
Written by AnGina-- on 19.04.2009 at 10:05

Oh well, if this thread is about fantasy/fiction literature, then I apologize....

oh no no no. not at all there's no need or anything to apologize for. i was just postng my point of view, but like i said, i'm glad you did enjoy it.
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
19.04.2009 - 11:24
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Ok then Cause TBH, I'm not much of a reader, but I enjoy reading musician's biographies as well watching music documentaries, so this book was perfect for me
----
27.04.2009 - 00:28
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah

No, it's not that. It satirizes Stalinism and depicts the bitter fate of a revolution. The animals overthrow the existing power in
hope of creating an utopia but the result is a dystopia however what ruins the attept is not the ideology itself but the greed, stupidity, wickedness, etc of the ones involved. Anyway, a masterpiece IMO.
Orwell describes the inspiring event as:
"...I saw a little boy, perhaps ten years old, driving a huge carthorse along a narrow path, whipping it whenever it tried to turn. It struck me that if only such animals became aware of their strength we should have no power over them, and that men exploit animals in much the same way as the rich exploit the proletariat."

For those interested in science:

A Briefer History of Time by Stephen Hawking
It explains quantum mechanics, string theory, the big bang theory, etc but you don't need a deep understanding of physics to enjoy this book, it's been written for a general audience.
and also The Universe in a Nutshell which is the winner of the Aventis Prizes for Science Books 2002.
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
13.05.2009 - 23:19
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Written by Yossarian on 15.10.2008 at 16:48

I highly recommend "One Hundred Years of Loneliness" by Gabriel García Marquez....

Yeah, the novel is awesome, although i'm not a fan of magical realistic stuff.
IF I'M NOT MISTAKEN, Marquez himself stated that it was primary written for money when he was in a terrible economical situation. This reminded me of another masterpiece written for money :

The Sound and the Fury - William Faulkner
I searched the topic for it and to my great fucking surprise, found nothing!

Book's title is taken from William Shakespeare's Macbeth:

"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury ,
Signifying nothing."

The novel consists of 4 sections, 3 narrated by 3 members of Compson family (Benji, Quentin, Jason) and the last one from a third person point of view. 2nd section_ dedicated to Quentin_ is the BEST one IMO...complex and confusing though....
A real Masterpiece and An absolute must for all.
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face