Metal Storm logo
Megadeth vs Metallica

Original post

Posted by -Valhalla-, 07.06.2006 - 03:18
Megadeth and Metallica have been trying to out do eachother for years. Dave Mustaine was an Ex-Metallica guitarist, and made Megadeth to show that he doesn't need metallica. Metallica the more popular of the two, cut thier hair, and sold out, touring with bands like Linkin Park, Limp Bizcuit. Meanwhile, Megadeth's still going strong. Who's better? Would you rather go to see live?

In my opinion Megadeth is the better of the two. Metallica is a bunch of fatheads who have sucked balls since Ride The Lightning. Megadeth still sounds great, and has the Gigantour going, while Metallica is busy filming their next documentary about, whiney disagreements, and how the band is falling apart.

Poll

Megadeth vs. Metallica

Megadeth
Metallica

Total votes: 971
02.08.2009 - 02:38
Disposeablehero
Account deleted
From a music standpoint, metallica is way more diverse and better at composing good songs then megadeth. metallica introduced things in metal in the 80's that were never heard before, the mix of melody, epic songs, harmony, great lyrics, a singer who could actually sing, lol. All mixed into epic 8 minute songs that never got dull, and had many complex parts. Hardly an easy feet. Metallica shaped metal in the 80's, this was before they ever got popular, megadeth never had the impact that metallica did, not near as ambitious, Mustaine was obsessed with speed, but never had as much other musical inputs into his music as metallica. (Burton was a big part of that).

it is trendy to say metallica sucks, but ignore megdeth followed metallica at every turn and also went commercial, or tried and were not as successful. Megadeth is less popular and the underdog, so people automatically gravitate to that. Metallica, changing direction and doing it well (Minus Anger) only proves how much more diverse they are then megadeth. Because Dave was spedd, speed, speed, he is better, lol. it is much harder to make great thrash albums that are heavy fast, but also harmony, melody, metallica were much better at composing songs to mix all these ina brilliant way.

Metllica from a overall musicmanship standpoint, are much better. Master of puppets, AJFA, RTL, are better then anything megadeth have ever done, except rust in peace which is close. But still is not near as epic, complex and ambitious as either.

Neither is done a lot since the 90's, UA was inconsistent, the first few songs are great, then the album goes back to dave not sure if he is trying to do youthanasia or Rust in peace.
02.08.2009 - 02:48
Disposeablehero
Account deleted
Written by [user id=2084] on 25.09.2008 at 06:57

@THE_BLACK_GOD:

Dave Mustaine was not kicked out because he had a drug problem...Dave Mustaine was kicked out of Metallica simply because he partied more than James and Lars...the band was on their way from LA to NY and Mustaine got too drunk and crazy and then when Mustaine finally came to, Lars and James gave him a ticket to send him back to California...Mustaine was not a follower of Metallica...he venged to create a whole new different kickass sound to blow Metallica out of the water and he suceeded...Kirk could just keep it together better than Mustaine and has a cooler head but to say that Mustaine got kicked out of Metallica for drug purposes is just plain ignorance on your part...as far as I'm concerned, the music of Megadeth keeps me more interested and more entertained than the music of Metallica...Mustaine has a lot more energy and I think that he cares more about the integrity about the music than any member of Metallica...and didn't James suffer from a herion addiction too? Oh yeah, that's right...good ol' James suffered from an addiction during the time where Mustaine was clean as a whistle and performing at his best when Metallica was nowhere to be seen...

It just goes to show you that Megedeth is the better band over Metallica, Mr. Judas Kiss...

Sorry, are u a retard? Metallica got better AFTEr mustaine left, burton had way more influence over metallica's rise to fame the mustaine. Please, Mustaine had 3-4 writing CREDITS, along with Lars, James in Kill em all, ONE RIFF in RTL, that's it, you could change it and say Megadeth would not exist if not for metallica.

Were you there, do you know who influenced who? Metallica did better then megadeth after mustaine left, so how do you kmow mustaine never learned from james, burtom? Hetfield is a great frontman as well, but go on in your fantasy land that 3-4 riffs means mustaine made metallica, please, Dumbest argument any megadeth fan can make.

Watch some kind of monster? Mustaine is so jealous of metallica, even said himself he wished it was 83 and he had another chance, why i wonder?

Both are great, metallica's songs were more epic, flowed better and mixed more musical styles while still being heavy and fresh at the time, Mustaine was speed, speed, speed, many of megadeths songs are all over the place, metallica at their best are way better then megadeth at theirs.
02.08.2009 - 02:54
Disposeablehero
Account deleted
Written by Marcus on 18.08.2008 at 05:07

/ Lame

Anyways, Metallica wins, as their first 4-5 albums were all much more technical than anything Megadeth has ever made. Whereas Dave is a poor vocalist and all of his songs follow generic patterns both in structure and songwriting, Metallica used to be able to create amazing compositions. Although Megadeth has been more consistent in the quality of their releases, Metallica's good ones were way better.

Exactly, Metallica in he 80's are ina different league then ANYTHING megadeth has done, their compositions with 8 min songs, but never get old or boring or have a dull monet has never been matched. When megadeth puts out a album full of epics, that are simply amazing in all aspects get back to me. Megadeth songs actually are very simple compositions, if you knew anything about music anyone would know this. This is why metallicas earlier stuff is held in such hish standard today.
02.08.2009 - 02:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=42513] on 02.08.2009 at 02:48

@THE_BLACK_GOD:

Dave Mustaine was not kicked out because he had a drug problem...Dave Mustaine was kicked out of Metallica simply because he partied more than James and Lars...the band was on their way from LA to NY and Mustaine got too drunk and crazy and then when Mustaine finally came to, Lars and James gave him a ticket to send him back to California...Mustaine was not a follower of Metallica...he venged to create a whole new different kickass sound to blow Metallica out of the water and he suceeded...Kirk could just keep it together better than Mustaine and has a cooler head but to say that Mustaine got kicked out of Metallica for drug purposes is just plain ignorance on your part...as far as I'm concerned, the music of Megadeth keeps me more interested and more entertained than the music of Metallica...Mustaine has a lot more energy and I think that he cares more about the integrity about the music than any member of Metallica...and didn't James suffer from a herion addiction too? Oh yeah, that's right...good ol' James suffered from an addiction during the time where Mustaine was clean as a whistle and performing at his best when Metallica was nowhere to be seen...

It just goes to show you that Megedeth is the better band over Metallica, Mr. Judas Kiss...

Sorry, are u a retard? Metallica got better AFTEr mustaine left, burton had way more influence over metallica's rise to fame the mustaine. Please, Mustaine had 3-4 writing CREDITS, along with Lars, James in Kill em all, ONE RIFF in RTL, that's it, you could change it and say Megadeth would not exist if not for metallica.

Were you there, do you know who influenced who? Metallica did better then megadeth after mustaine left, so how do you kmow mustaine never learned from james, burtom? Hetfield is a great frontman as well, but go on in your fantasy land that 3-4 riffs means mustaine made metallica, please, Dumbest argument any megadeth fan can make.

Watch some kind of monster? Mustaine is so jealous of metallica, even said himself he wished it was 83 and he had another chance, why i wonder?

Both are great, metallica's songs were more epic, flowed better and mixed more musical styles while still being heavy and fresh at the time, Mustaine was speed, speed, speed, many of megadeths songs are all over the place, metallica at their best are way better then megadeth at theirs.

Aaaahhh we have a totally blind Metallica fanboy here. And before you go off on a rampant rage suggestion I hate Metallica... I saw them 25 times between 1983 and 1992 which is probably a lot more than you're ever see them.
Mustaine is the guitrist hammett, grant, hetfield wished they'd ever be. Mustaine actually pisses all over them.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.08.2009 - 03:13
Disposeablehero
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.08.2009 at 02:55

@THE_BLACK_GOD:

Aaaahhh we have a totally blind Metallica fanboy here. And before you go off on a rampant rage suggestion I hate Metallica... I saw them 25 times between 1983 and 1992 which is probably a lot more than you're ever see them.
Mustaine is the guitrist hammett, grant, hetfield wished they'd ever be. Mustaine actually pisses all over them.

Ah we have a moron, mustaine being a better guitarist does not mean megadeth is better as a band, fail. You realise there is MANY factors that go into making an album? many great guitar players in the world never do much in the way of music creation. Idiot. Nowhere did i say anything about who was better at guitar, maybe you should take some reading classes. Look up music composition, metallica were way better.
02.08.2009 - 03:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=42513] on 02.08.2009 at 03:13

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.08.2009 at 02:55

@THE_BLACK_GOD:

Ah we have a moron, mustaine being a better guitarist does not mean megadeth is better as a band, fail. You realise there is MANY factors that go into making an album? many great guitar players in the world never do much in the way of music creation. Idiot. Nowhere did i say anything about who was better at guitar, maybe you should take some reading classes. Look up music composition, metallica were way better.

Okay dickweed... Peace Sells is far better than the totally overrated And Justice For All, same applies to So Far So Good So What, Rust In Piece, Youthanasia, Cpuntdown to Extinction. Okay I'll give you Ride The Lightning and Master of Puppets are better than anything Megadeth have ever done. And Kill ' em All is better than most of Megadeth's albums. But all in all Megadeth is a far more consistent band than Metallica. Risk is better than Load Reload St Anger. The System Has Failed is better than Death Magnetic and even the abomination called United Abimoations is on a par with Death Magnetic.
So looking at both bands entire discographies... Metallica has three great albums and the rest are total crap to crap to mediocre at best whereas Megadeth has one atrocious album, one bad album a couple of mediocre albums a couple of good albums and three great albums.

But I am not denyin that Mtallica WAS way more influential than Megadeth will ever dream to be.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.08.2009 - 08:21
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
The only point I was really trying to make from that original post was that Mustaine had a drug problem and partied harder than the boys in Metallica...and I don't HAVE TO HAVE BEEN THERE...it was just a proven fact...and my original point wasn't even which one was more influential or not...you don't have to be decent musicians to be influential anymore sadly...both bands are never going to be as good or influential as they were ever again...
02.08.2009 - 13:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=2084] on 02.08.2009 at 08:21

The only point I was really trying to make from that original post was that Mustaine had a drug problem and partied harder than the boys in Metallica...and I don't HAVE TO HAVE BEEN THERE...it was just a proven fact...and my original point wasn't even which one was more influential or not...you don't have to be decent musicians to be influential anymore sadly...both bands are never going to be as good or influential as they were ever again...

I know, but just look at the guy's nick.

as for
Quote:

.you don't have to be decent musicians to be influential anymore sadly.

Loads of not so decent musicans have been immensely influential. Just look at Burzum, Venom compared to those two Metallica and Megadeth are like Beethoven, Bach etc
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.08.2009 - 00:13
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Soooo...if Metallica and Megadeth are like Beethoven and Bach then what are AC/DC and The Rolling Stones?
03.08.2009 - 00:44
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
Written by [user id=2084] on 03.08.2009 at 00:13

Soooo...if Metallica and Megadeth are like Beethoven and Bach then what are AC/DC and The Rolling Stones?

God and Satan. You decide which is which.
03.08.2009 - 00:46
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by bloodwrage on 03.08.2009 at 00:44

Written by [user id=2084] on 03.08.2009 at 00:13

God and Satan. You decide which is which.

Sometimes it's hard to tell
03.08.2009 - 02:25
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Quote:
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.08.2009 at 13:22

.you don't have to be decent musicians to be influential anymore sadly.

Loads of not so decent musicans have been immensely influential. Just look at Burzum, Venom compared to those two Metallica and Megadeth are like Beethoven, Bach etc

How is that sad at all? Music is art, not sports.

Take a look at the Ramones for example, terrible musicians, but would punk be the same or even exist without them? And would metal be what it is today without a few bits of punk splashed in?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
11.08.2009 - 16:38
Razorback
I think it's pointless to choose between this two bands,because both are one of the biggest metal bands ever,and something like that will not be repeated,each of this bands have own story and lot of fans around the world,booth bands are soul of metal music,it does not matter what hapend between band members i found both of them great,it's really hard to chose in this case
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
17.08.2009 - 14:08
dEAthB3D
Mustaine and Friedman pisses all over Kirk
he's dumb anyway
Without Burton (RIP) and Hetfield Metallica is nothing but shit
Rust in Piece and most of Megadeth albums way better than those Metallica albums after Ride the Lightning like And Justice For All or St Anger (worst metal album on the planet)
However Master of Puppets, Kill em All and Ride The Lightning are real masterpieces...
----
the ultimate use of treason is the treacherous use of reason
21.08.2009 - 18:55
Panterica
I can't tell who's better, both of them are No.1 in my thrashers list:noidea: . What I can say that Metallica has much better ballads (If I can call it "ballads") but Megadeth are much better performers- Hetfield's voice isn't as it used to be back in the 80's, while Mustaine's voice still doing great as always.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
22.08.2009 - 14:50
Well, to me Megadeth is way better cuz they've kept it up with their new stuff, while Metallica just sucked after the black album....Still we can't compare these two because every band has it's own creativity in the Metal word.
24.08.2009 - 17:09
While I consider both bands to be great i have to go with Megadeth...Mustaine is such an amazing composer,quite original and his lyrics are really well written (as are Hetfield's though)...Rust In Peace is my favourite thrash album and some songs from Kill em All and Ride the Lightning were co-written by Mustaine (as in The Call Of Ktulu,if I'm not mistaken)...What is more, Megadeth have great lead guitarists (Friedman,Poland and now Broderick) that Hammet can't compete...
11.09.2009 - 18:16
Shogun
Megadeth. Only because Metallica came out with more albums that were poopy.
Load, Reload, Metallica, St. Anger, ...And Justice for All.
----
U.S.A. for Satan!
13.10.2009 - 03:41
wormdrink414
Elite
Look at that score. 274 to 279.
13.10.2009 - 04:56
His Eminence
Account deleted
I don't know...I like both bands, and I even enjoyed Load/Reload from Metallica. But as Marcel said, Megadeth has been more consistent. I'd rather have a band that puts out many good/great albums and one average/bad one than say a band that comes out with a few great records and a lot of mediocre ones.

And recently, Megadeth has really been kicking Metallica's ass. Endgame pisses all over Death Magnetic.
16.10.2009 - 15:16
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Megadeth artistically better.
07.11.2009 - 17:19
SatyriconChick
I've been a fan of both bands for years, but come on, it's gotta be Metallica. They were first, they've had less lineup changes, and because of that, I think they're a much tighter band. Although I love Megadeth's music, I enjoy Metallica's that much more.
26.11.2009 - 07:16
tommyboy666
I don't really think Either band is better than one an other, They both are Epic..
29.11.2009 - 10:13
IronBlackZepp
I have been a Metallica fan longer, but Megadeth is great as well. Both bands have their strong points and their weak points though.

Example: Metallica had a near perfect run in the 80's, no band is perfect but this one was damn close with 4 masterpeices in a row all in one decade, which is not really all that common. However, after the black album in 1991 they could not put out a good studio album until 2008.

Megadeth had a string of good to great albums some even being masterpeices from the time of their debute in 1985 till the late 90's, they always had great guitar playing on them. However, they could never keep a line up together which hurt them later.
02.12.2009 - 22:55
Brogkul
10 years ago I would´ve said Metallica, Ride the Lightning was my favorite album for years along with Kill ´em All. Master had epic songs, but some bad too. And Justice and Black Album were OK, a bit boring at times but ok. The rest of the albums were some of the biggest disapointments in my life. Since I only had, lets say, 2 and a half albums that I really liked from them, I overplayed them soon. James´s voice started sounding more annoying everytime I heard them again, so I ended up only listening to Orion and Call of Ktulu. And those are the only couple Metallica songs I hear from time to time.

I remember the exact moment my friend taped me some random band, the tape had about 15 minutes to spare so he taped 2 bonus songs: Holy Wars and Hangar 18. Both songs left me in awe, since then i aquired all megadeth albums, and I´ve enjoyed each and everyone, well, all but Risk I never liked that album and I tried to sell it when I bought it, but noone would buy it.

Its funny to see my youngest metalhead friend (14 years old), who was a big Metallica fan, he even liked DM and all. He´d never hear Orion, was so funny. I introduced him to Megadeth, Death, Testament and others, lets just say he has better musical taste now. I just relate him to some of the posts here made by "big Metallica fans" who are incoherent and juvenile, I repeat SOME, not all.

Overall Megadeth is better, has better lyrics, better riffs, better solos, better musicians.
Metallica just did too many things wrong, from the lousy albums to the funny documentary, to James´s voice sounding like a histerical tennager, to Lars suing fans and Napster for money (greedy bastard!) to using make up (you´d think Load is a pop album by the artwork, if that can be called art).

I still hear Megadeth a lot. So Far, So good, So What, been one of my all time favorites. And Endgame is simply a masterpiece.

Hail Megadeth!
----
"The Sly One"
02.12.2009 - 23:17
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by gwarscumdog on 10.07.2009 at 06:10

Megadeth all the way Metallica is good no doubt about it but they can't compare with Dave's voice its a rare voice. The other thing is the drums in Metallica are way to loud, they need to turn up everything else. Megadeth you can see everywhere schools wherever and people say that they still sound like the old days not changed a bit. Lineup changes, but their sound did not. ....... Metallica changed.

"The drums are too loud" come on they fit perfectly into the song just listen to "My Apocalyspe"
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
03.12.2009 - 09:35
Athropos
Burning inside
Short answer: Megadeth, because I can listen to more than two different albums in a row without being bored.

If the question was about albums among the two bands, I would put Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightning on top. But that's all on Metallica's side: I like only a few songs on Kill'em All, Justice and the Black album. Let's forget about all the other ones, I'm not into pop/rock bands. Megadeth has a bunch of good albums, and these days Mustaine is still able to create gems like Endgame.
15.12.2009 - 04:35
naeblis
I think Megadeth is a way better band. Not to say I don't like Metallica. I just love Mustaine's voice. He's got that evil sounding snarl, you know?
28.12.2009 - 18:41
Fastnetter
This is my vote from Germany

Megadeth 12 Points
Metallica 2 Points

Happy new Year
Fastnetter
28.12.2009 - 22:00
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by K✞ulu on 11.03.2009 at 07:09

Written by Doc G. on 11.03.2009 at 07:06

Written by K✞ulu on 10.03.2009 at 18:39

Written by Demonmayonnaise on 10.03.2009 at 17:33

When did Metallica finally pull ahead in this poll?

Holy crap! They were behind by 10 votes like a month ago, right? I think it's somebody cheating...

Its whoever most recently released an album, just watch, as soon as the upcoming Megadeth comes out, Megadeth will be in the lead again.

So it's the newcomers that enjoyed the whichever album voting?

This post was from a few months ago...

Who called it?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin