Metal Storm logo
Megadeth vs Metallica

Original post

Posted by -Valhalla-, 07.06.2006 - 03:18
Megadeth and Metallica have been trying to out do eachother for years. Dave Mustaine was an Ex-Metallica guitarist, and made Megadeth to show that he doesn't need metallica. Metallica the more popular of the two, cut thier hair, and sold out, touring with bands like Linkin Park, Limp Bizcuit. Meanwhile, Megadeth's still going strong. Who's better? Would you rather go to see live?

In my opinion Megadeth is the better of the two. Metallica is a bunch of fatheads who have sucked balls since Ride The Lightning. Megadeth still sounds great, and has the Gigantour going, while Metallica is busy filming their next documentary about, whiney disagreements, and how the band is falling apart.

Poll

Megadeth vs. Metallica

Megadeth
Metallica

Total votes: 971
28.12.2009 - 22:11
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Doc G. on 28.12.2009 at 22:00

Written by K✞ulu on 11.03.2009 at 07:09

Written by Doc G. on 11.03.2009 at 07:06

Written by K✞ulu on 10.03.2009 at 18:39

Written by Demonmayonnaise on 10.03.2009 at 17:33

When did Metallica finally pull ahead in this poll?

Holy crap! They were behind by 10 votes like a month ago, right? I think it's somebody cheating...

Its whoever most recently released an album, just watch, as soon as the upcoming Megadeth comes out, Megadeth will be in the lead again.

So it's the newcomers that enjoyed the whichever album voting?

This post was from a few months ago...

Who called it?

What do you mean who called it? But dude, I can't believe it. I have just visited this thread, and I thought, "Dr. Rock was right..."
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
29.12.2009 - 06:11
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by K✞ulu on 28.12.2009 at 22:11

Written by Doc G. on 28.12.2009 at 22:00

Written by K✞ulu on 11.03.2009 at 07:09

Written by Doc G. on 11.03.2009 at 07:06

Written by K✞ulu on 10.03.2009 at 18:39

Written by Demonmayonnaise on 10.03.2009 at 17:33

When did Metallica finally pull ahead in this poll?

Holy crap! They were behind by 10 votes like a month ago, right? I think it's somebody cheating...

Its whoever most recently released an album, just watch, as soon as the upcoming Megadeth comes out, Megadeth will be in the lead again.

So it's the newcomers that enjoyed the whichever album voting?

This post was from a few months ago...

Who called it?

What do you mean who called it? But dude, I can't believe it. I have just visited this thread, and I thought, "Dr. Rock was right..."

Who called it as in "I called it". Now we just wait for the next Metallica album to come out for this to switch...
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
29.12.2009 - 06:34
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Um, excuse me -

Written by Dangerboner on 26.05.2007 at 01:22

THAT'S FUCKING RIGHT, BITCHES!!! Megadeth finally is in the lead \m/

Sorry about that, but they were down by about 30 votes not too long ago...

But I did notice one thing. In threads like these, people tend to vote for bands right after releasing their new album.

YUP

I called it too

And I think I remember someone disagreeing -_-

When Metallica releases their next shitty album 4 or 5 years from now, they'll probably be in the lead again
29.12.2009 - 06:43
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Dangerboner on 29.12.2009 at 06:34

Um, excuse me -

Written by Dangerboner on 26.05.2007 at 01:22

THAT'S FUCKING RIGHT, BITCHES!!! Megadeth finally is in the lead m/

Sorry about that, but they were down by about 30 votes not too long ago...

But I did notice one thing. In threads like these, people tend to vote for bands right after releasing their new album.

YUP

I called it too

And I think I remember someone disagreeing -_-

Pfft, I remember reading that post, and the bolded part wasn't in it originally, so you edited it. Go to hell Mr.Boner
----
- George Carlin
29.12.2009 - 06:46
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
No actually that wasn't added. AND MY BONER WILL NEVER GO AWAY mkay

lol damn I brought three hot dogs to work but only two ketchup packets -_-
09.01.2010 - 16:03
Megallica
Teh one who wrote "Metallica is a bunch of fatheads who have sucked balls since Ride The Lightning. Megadeth still sounds great, and has the Gigantour going, while Metallica is busy filming their next documentary about, whiney disagreements, and how the band is falling apart."
IS A COCKSUCKER!!!!!! Megadeth had like 15 band members while Metallica had only 8.
I LOVE Metallica and MegadetH !!!!!! By my opinion:
80's Metallica,because i loved Theyre albums and how the performed.
90's Megadeth,because of Rust In Peace And CTE .... Metallica didn't sold out,tehy went to hard rock (Load And Reload) ... But what about Risk???It is fuckin POP . It's even shittier than Load Or Reload
00's Both,because they both made awesome albums. And there performing awesomely
Still I am gonn'a go with Metallica.
09.01.2010 - 16:13
Megallica

By the way, I like Megadeths guitars better,but Metallicas voice better. And i love the drums in both bands they sound perfect
09.01.2010 - 16:16
Megallica
Written by [user id=39242] on 24.02.2009 at 10:54

Metallica
Megadeth are aweosme though

80's Metallica > 80's Megadeth
90's Metalica < 90's Megadeth
00's Metallica = 00's Megadeth

you sayed just like me about 80's 90's 00's
09.01.2010 - 17:05
I_Die_Often
I can't answer this, not a huge fan of either right now... but in the past, Megadeth
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
10.01.2010 - 04:43
Bloody Rain
I Am The Night
For me, Megadeth.

No matter how hard I try, I can just never really get into Metallica. I do like the odd song by them, but for the most part I really don't care for them. Now Megadeth is a band that was really easy to get into. They aren't my favorite band, but I do like them. Also, IMO Megadeth vocals > Metallica vocals.
15.01.2010 - 04:43
gwarscumdog
Still the Drums aren't just the problem Metallica has simply gone under but if they are live I WILL be there
19.01.2010 - 02:22
thewall30
Megadeth! I think that Megadeth's albums are just more consistent than Metallica's by a big margin...
----
31.01.2010 - 21:11
Slayer
METALLICA
----
Taste me you will see
More is all you need
Dedicated to
How I'm killing you
25.02.2010 - 01:14
snook
Ah yes... The ultimate comparison thread. Almost every forum has it's Metallica vs. Megadeth thread

Let's see here

First of, I like listening to both of them and both are really great and influential bands with awesome songs.

Metallica has 4 killer albums, 1 good album and after that it's crap, crap, crap and their last album is average at best. Their songwriting and songs really became subpar, average and monotonous in the 90's... Their concerts became lame in the late 90's to date. James begun to sing like your grandma (no offense to you grandma), Kirk can't come up with a cool thrash riff or solo if it kills him, Lars drums sound like he's banging his head agaisnt a brick wall.

All in all Metallica for me only existed in the 80's and really early 90's...

While Megadeth had been more consistent with their releases, none of thier albums ever reached the greatness of Metallica's first 3 albums (for me that is) but Peace Sells, Rust In Peace and Countdown To Extinction were amazingly good albums. Others were pretty good as well except Crypting Writings, Endgame isn't that good either.

The only real fails were obviously Risk, The World Needs A New Hero...

I prefer Hetfields early harsh vocals with the (eeeaahh!) ending over Mustaine's whining grunt. But if I look at them today, I would slap the shit out of James with that gayass annoying singing he's got going.

The guitars were really the highlight for both bands. I liked the James/Mustaine combo and James/Kirk combo, but Mustaine/Pitarelli and Mustaine/Friedman were equally good.

It's a tough decision but I went with Metallica. Why? Because in both bands prime it's a no-brainer for me... Metallica. But if we count the later material Megadeth gets the edge.
01.03.2010 - 17:19
Reza
Account deleted
Metallica of course!
01.03.2010 - 21:35
Luciferion
Easiest Poll ever.

Lars = Metal Lord, as well as being greater then anything conceivable.

Therefore Metallica auto wins.

ALL HAIL THE METAL LORD!
----
Fear makes the wolf bigger than he is, and I am the wolf that hunts you.
01.03.2010 - 23:13
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Luciferion on 01.03.2010 at 21:35

Easiest Poll ever.

ALL HAIL THE METAL LORD!

lol. Are you being facetious?
----
- George Carlin
01.03.2010 - 23:49
Luciferion
Written by Doc G. on 01.03.2010 at 23:13

Written by Luciferion on 01.03.2010 at 21:35

Easiest Poll ever.

ALL HAIL THE METAL LORD!

lol. Are you being facetious?

Only if the METAL LORD wills it to be so.

All praise be to Lars!
----
Fear makes the wolf bigger than he is, and I am the wolf that hunts you.
03.03.2010 - 21:10
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Okay, first off, the OP is a total idiot. Only blind Megadeth/Dave Mustaine fanboys say that Megadeth, unlike Metallica, never sold out. Dave has himself admitted that the mid - late 90's albums were written in order to try and ''get the number one album I'd always wanted". Just because Dave failed to achieve the massive success that Metallica had with Megadeth, does not mean that he did not desire it, or would not compromise his artistic integrity in order to try and achieve that. Because he did exactly that. In fact, I usually loath to use the term ''sold out''. But in Dave Mustaine's case I definitely will use it, because aside from using those exact words himself, he has admitted doing that by things he's said. Gawd, fanboys are so dumb!

As for who do I prefer....its very close, but Im going to have to go with Megadeth. I think they have been a bit more consistent than Metallica. I love both bands, but Megs just edge it for me!
05.03.2010 - 19:17
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Angelic Storm on 03.03.2010 at 21:10

Okay, first off, the OP is a total idiot. Only blind Megadeth/Dave Mustaine fanboys say that Megadeth, unlike Metallica, never sold out. Dave has himself admitted that the mid - late 90's albums were written in order to try and ''get the number one album I'd always wanted". Just because Dave failed to achieve the massive success that Metallica had with Megadeth, does not mean that he did not desire it, or would not compromise his artistic integrity in order to try and achieve that. Because he did exactly that. In fact, I usually loath to use the term ''sold out''. But in Dave Mustaine's case I definitely will use it, because aside from using those exact words himself, he has admitted doing that by things he's said. Gawd, fanboys are so dumb!

agree 100% with the, uh, move to a more radio-friendly sound to increase commercial viability (nicer way of saying "sell out") comment.

two things happened between "Rust In Peace" and "Countdown" - Dave kicked the drugs and Metallica had a smash hit with the black album. given Megadave's competitive nature and his particular dislike of Metallica, do you think it's any coincidence that after Metallica started getting regular radio play for "Enter Sandman", "Unforgiven", "Nothing Else Matters", and half the rest of the black album, that Megadeth's next release was less complex, far more streamlined, and radio friendly?

never mind the next couple Megadeth albums that followed it.

he made the same stylistic shift that Metallica did, he just didn't do it quite as well or get quite the acclaim - which i guess is why fanbois overlook it.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
07.03.2010 - 05:42
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
Megadeth never sold-out as badly as Metallica did and Dave Mustaine is an amazing guitarist, probably much more skilled then James or Kirk.

However, Metallica's songs are just better and more interesting for me to listen to and just generally more enjoyable. So I'm gonna go with Metallica. Both are great though.
07.03.2010 - 08:55
Tech_Guy
Wow, both are awesome bands. but I like Metallica more. For all the people that say Dave Mustaine wrote, like, all their songs, BS. If that was a factor Megadeth would be amazing. But there are a lot of songs by Mgadeth I don't like. I can't think of a single song by Metallica that isn't amazing, and yes I've heard them all.
----
Just Don't
07.03.2010 - 09:01
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Xim on 07.03.2010 at 05:42

Megadeth never sold-out as badly as Metallica did and Dave Mustaine is an amazing guitarist, probably much more skilled then James or Kirk.

However, Metallica's songs are just better and more interesting for me to listen to and just generally more enjoyable. So I'm gonna go with Metallica. Both are great though.

no. megadeth just didn't sell out as well as metallica did. doesn't mean they didn't try.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
19.03.2010 - 21:14
cescjoon
Metallica :banger:
19.03.2010 - 22:03
Don Martin
le fu-
First things first: It annoys the crap outta me that Mustaine keeps saying that he's going to call it a day after the next album and then he does the album and goes touring for a year or so and then does EXACTLY the same thing! Also his voice irritates me, so Metallica for me then.
----
What a tackastrophe!
20.03.2010 - 11:07
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Xim on 07.03.2010 at 05:42

That's just silly. Id actually say Dave Mustaine sold out worse than Metallica. It's actually debateable whether Metallica streamlined their sound deliberately to gain more popularity and get more radio airplay. It is not even up for debate that Dave changed Megadeth's sound to try and acheive those things, as that is exactly why he did them. Just because Metallica acheived mega stardom, and mass popularity, does not mean they sold out more than Megadeth. Megadeth might not have acheieved that stuff, but it wasnt for the want of trying!

@BitterCOld: Nope, I don't think its any coincidence that Megadeth's music became more commercial, and less complex after the Black Album. Dave was obviously jealous of the massive success that Metallica had with the black album, and was trying to outdo them, or at least equal them. I have no doubts that Dave started writing more commercial stuff as a direct result of the black album and its success. So, in my mind at least, Dave sold out more than Metallica, despite them being more popular.
21.03.2010 - 03:29
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
Written by Angelic Storm on 20.03.2010 at 11:07

That's just silly. Id actually say Dave Mustaine sold out worse than Metallica. It's actually debateable whether Metallica streamlined their sound deliberately to gain more popularity and get more radio airplay. It is not even up for debate that Dave changed Megadeth's sound to try and acheive those things, as that is exactly why he did them. Just because Metallica acheived mega stardom, and mass popularity, does not mean they sold out more than Megadeth. Megadeth might not have acheieved that stuff, but it wasnt for the want of trying!

Yeah interesting point. But I don't know if I entirely agree, but then again I probably don't know as much about why/how they did things and why they went the way they went.

Sellout or not, I still enjoy them both, just Metallica a bit more. But hey who knows what my tastes will be in a year or two?
25.03.2010 - 04:00
whatsacow
Written by Xim on 21.03.2010 at 03:29

Sellout or not, I still enjoy them both, just Metallica a bit more. But hey who knows what my tastes will be in a year or two?

I totally agree. And just because a band changes direction doesn't mean they sold out. you cant do the exact same thing for 20 years and not sound stale
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
25.03.2010 - 10:48
farshid
Written by Megallica on 09.01.2010 at 16:16

Written by [user id=39242] on 24.02.2009 at 10:54

Metallica
Megadeth are aweosme though

80's Metallica > 80's Megadeth
90's Metalica < 90's Megadeth
00's Metallica = 00's Megadeth

you sayed just like me about 80's 90's 00's

Agree!!
26.03.2010 - 22:40
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
Despite the fact that I love both, I've always preferred Megadeth over Metallica. Metallica has a kick-ass thrash sound, but Megadeth has a unique thrash sound that I just love.
Plus, I love Mustaine's singing.
Both are awesome, though.