Metal Storm logo
Video Games You're Playing

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 28.01.2015 - 14:35
Played about 20 minutes last night. It's definitely unintuitive, and I died twice in the first bit of the game before even reaching the hub (went for a really low END build though; went for for high Accuracy, Hacking and Medical), and the translation is clearly well under par. Definitely interesting though. I love the massive scope of the environments and art style and the shooting mechanics seem solid with some nice gunplay. I had to whack the enemies ability to see you right down to the minimum though as they can literally spot you from miles away, but even on the lowest setting I'm not sure it's enough. Apparently cloaking on this is a must. The reticule thing is also really annoying as it's entirely dependent on where your cursor is at the time, so selecting the option you want from it often means huge sweeps of the mouse. Assuming these are all idiosyncrasies I'll learn to deal with, though the inability to stealth effectively might kill my enjoyment of it pretty quick.

Eugh, constantly respawning enemies too. Yeah, I think all the things I really want out of a game like this are simply not viable. I'll push on and play it conventionally and see if it improves when I get cloaking.
10.10.2019 - 21:46
Zap
Written by Metren on 10.10.2019 at 19:39

aaaaaaaaand I am only using this to play Skyrim's Special Edition atm, silly me!

Hey, my laptop from 2011 can run Skyrim too. Want to trade?
10.10.2019 - 23:43
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Zap on 10.10.2019 at 21:46

Hey, my laptop from 2011 can run Skyrim too. Want to trade?

Depends. Does the laptop come with free coffee for life?
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
11.10.2019 - 00:21
Zap
Written by Metren on 10.10.2019 at 23:43

Depends. Does the laptop come with free coffee for life?

I am a poor man who hasn't bought a pc for 8 years and who makes coffee with an Aeropress. So no.
11.10.2019 - 00:22
Mercurial
Mod the shit out of Skyrim. Great way to waste hours.
11.10.2019 - 00:32
Zap
Written by Mercurial on 11.10.2019 at 00:22

I always found Skyrim in general to be a waste of time.
11.10.2019 - 00:57
Mercurial
Written by Zap on 11.10.2019 at 00:32

I always found Skyrim in general to be a waste of time.

For the main story it is, but the way Metren is playing it and being a stealthy archer I can get maybe 40 hours out of it.
11.10.2019 - 01:16
Zap
Written by Mercurial on 11.10.2019 at 00:57

For the main story it is, but the way Metren is playing it and being a stealthy archer I can get maybe 40 hours out of it.

Because it takes a stealthy archer 2 hours to do something any other character does in 15 minutes?

I think I played the game for like 20 hours total of which maybe 2 were spent on the main story. I never did get into modding it though so maybe I'm missing out there.
11.10.2019 - 17:26
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Zap on 11.10.2019 at 00:21

I am a poor man who hasn't bought a pc for 8 years and who makes coffee with an Aeropress. So no.

I am genuinely sad to hear that... I can't imagine not having a decent PC anymore.

Also, I just adopted a daughter in Skyrim, which is nice.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
12.10.2019 - 11:10
Zap
Written by Metren on 11.10.2019 at 17:26

I am genuinely sad to hear that... I can't imagine not having a decent PC anymore.

Also, I just adopted a daughter in Skyrim, which is nice.

Ah don't feel too bad, I was being a little dramatic, I just need my money for other things at the moment, haha.

Congratulations on being a simulated father I guess?
12.10.2019 - 13:34
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Zap on 12.10.2019 at 11:10

Congratulations on being a simulated father I guess?

Heh, I actually do really like that they added this. Maybe I am weird, but having an adopted daughter actually gives depth to the rest of the experience for me. I'm always thinking about returning to my house in Whiterun and bringing her gifts whilst I'm out clearing a bandit camp or a dungeon filled with creepy draugrs. It's somewhat similar to an experience I had with Dragon Age: Origins, my favorite moments in that game were always the parts in between missions, where I could sit around the campfire and talk to my companion characters.
----
12.10.2019 - 15:06
Mercurial
Probably worth mentioning that Disco Elysium is out in 3 days. For a proper RPG experience it sounds like it actually has a chance of delivering. Can't wait for it myself.
13.10.2019 - 19:09
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Mercurial on 11.10.2019 at 00:22

Downloaded the Sofia mod (adventurer chick with a sick sense of humor you find sleeping in the Whiterun stables after a wild night at the tavern). And yeah... "Maybe you'll show me what actually happens when a dragonborn comes" LMFAO.

I love her already.
----
19.10.2019 - 21:01
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Being playing Old West Simulator (Red Dead Redemption 2) ... bought it on release, was clunky interface, but with the recent attempt gotten much better at it, stalled the plot on Chapter 2 as I'm just addicted to hunting.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
28.10.2019 - 00:50
Mercurial
Few hours into Outer Worlds. It's pretty much what you would expect it to be. Neon coloured New Vegas but with smaller mini-sandboxes and a slow-down-time system instead of V.A.T.S., which seems to work pretty well. Haven't really got very far, still on the first planet, but writing is good and the smaller world focus could be really good in the long run (apparently it's like a 25 hour game though).

Even though it's not run on the Fallout / Skyrim engine you wouldn't guess otherwise tbh. Haven't run into bugs yet though, but has a slight feeling of endearing jank to it.
28.10.2019 - 15:23
gavdann
I'm so dull when it comes to games these days. All I play is Dark Souls 1, 2 and 3.
30.10.2019 - 05:57
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Replayed Mafia 1. Still a classic (9.4/10)
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
30.10.2019 - 08:37
Cass
Diablo + Hellfire, today I should defeat Diablo
05.11.2019 - 23:26
IronAngel
Written by Mercurial on 28.10.2019 at 00:50

Few hours into Outer Worlds. It's pretty much what you would expect it to be. Neon coloured New Vegas but with smaller mini-sandboxes and a slow-down-time system instead of V.A.T.S., which seems to work pretty well. Haven't really got very far, still on the first planet, but writing is good and the smaller world focus could be really good in the long run (apparently it's like a 25 hour game though).

Even though it's not run on the Fallout / Skyrim engine you wouldn't guess otherwise tbh. Haven't run into bugs yet though, but has a slight feeling of endearing jank to it.

I found out it's on Xbox Game Pass for PC, the beta version of which is 1� for the first month and 4� after that. Getting to play (at least most of) a 60-euro game is a pretty good deal. (Also get to save some 15� on Ori and the Blind Forest, if I can get my wife to play it in time.)

I dicked around the first planet's side quests for a few hours, and just headed into the geothermal plant. So far, I'm glad I didn't buy it full price. It looks perfect on paper (I love New Vegas and been craving for a crazy space opera), but it just feels so vanilla and a bit... cheap. For a game that obviously isn't. Map design is awfully MMOish, identical camps with identical buildings and identical enemy groups. Loot is awful. The combat is whatever, and that would be fine in an RPG - only they've inserted a lot of it as pure filler, it seems to be the primary thing to do in quest locations. It plays like a shooter without the actual fun of shooters, just the waves of enemies and ammo drops. It feels like exactly the wrong mix of Borderlands and Fallout.

Buuut this is just my early experience focusing specifically on map exploration and side quests. It's never been bad yet, just a bit too generic. I guess it depends a lot on whether the main story and world interaction manages to hook me later on. I have hope.
06.11.2019 - 14:53
Mercurial
Written by IronAngel on 05.11.2019 at 23:26

I found out it's on Xbox Game Pass for PC, the beta version of which is 1� for the first month and 4� after that. Getting to play (at least most of) a 60-euro game is a pretty good deal. (Also get to save some 15� on Ori and the Blind Forest, if I can get my wife to play it in time.)

I dicked around the first planet's side quests for a few hours, and just headed into the geothermal plant. So far, I'm glad I didn't buy it full price. It looks perfect on paper (I love New Vegas and been craving for a crazy space opera), but it just feels so vanilla and a bit... cheap. For a game that obviously isn't. Map design is awfully MMOish, identical camps with identical buildings and identical enemy groups. Loot is awful. The combat is whatever, and that would be fine in an RPG - only they've inserted a lot of it as pure filler, it seems to be the primary thing to do in quest locations. It plays like a shooter without the actual fun of shooters, just the waves of enemies and ammo drops. It feels like exactly the wrong mix of Borderlands and Fallout.

Buuut this is just my early experience focusing specifically on map exploration and side quests. It's never been bad yet, just a bit too generic. I guess it depends a lot on whether the main story and world interaction manages to hook me later on. I have hope.

After 15 or so hours I don't think you're really wrong. It's a game that was made to please certain expectations based on other studio's missteps, and in that way it succeeds to a degree, but the reality of the game is that it's not especially amazing, just "fine."

Combat is too easy; I amassed hundreds and even thousands of one kind of ammo by the time I left the first planet, and had about 85 of those healing things. The perks system is dull really, and I realised that putting points into anything combat related was a waste of time so it's all gone into character traits and now I can talk my way through everything, and so far nothing has been that exciting role playing-wise. Characters all feel a bit samey, apart from Phinneas Welles who feels like he was written for a totally different game.

I'll probably play it through all being said, as it's not bad in any egregious way, but it lacks the initial excitement of a sandbox game, or the handcrafted precision of a linear game and I can't get around this feeling that there's a certain emptiness to it all. I've only just left the area after the first planet so I might still pick up I guess.

You might change your mind on the bit after the first planet. I managed to avoid all combat, and the design is a bit less pseudo-sandbox, and has a few nooks and crannies to discover. The role playing is still quite predictable and seemingly without consequences, at least the way I played it.
09.11.2019 - 13:52
ylside
Staff
25.11.2019 - 09:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Medal of honor - Airborne
Hard game, hard to shoot, I am use to MoH Afga, and alos Mafia style shooting. No map there, but area, MoA Agha has more forvard moving, there we have area , perimeter. jumping is weird, Game as game, hard to tell now, I like it but I wish there would be easier to shoot. I use German MP40 not Tommy Gun ...easyer to aim and fire
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.11.2019 - 13:18
Mercurial
I almost hate how much I'm liking Jedi: Fallen Order. It's an easier Sekiro Souls with Uncharted elements, with crazy high production in a Star Wars universe. Incredible vistas and environments with sprawling metroidvania level design and a great score. The story isn't anything to write home about, but the writing is decent enough, as is the facial animation. Yeah, it's really good. I'm pleasantly surprised. I wasn't expecting to get a Souls-like game I enjoyed that wasn't by Fromsoft. I guess it could be thought of as Souls-lite. The only thing that could be considered missing is the frequent boss battles, but doesn't feel as vital in this game.
23.12.2019 - 12:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Medal of honor airborne are done, it was hard last mission. Panzerfsust guys are nasty, but they reload, you Kill them
Nazie storm elite is ok sin in the ass. Kibols whit gas mask, Machine Gun and Bullet prog West.

Next year new wwii game comes out. I wish one Day war in Korea, nam and iraq would Come out
----

15.01.2020 - 11:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Medal 0f Honor Warfighter
Its continues whit SEAL Team 6 whit our Rabbit who died in Afga, and Preacher was killed here to by saudi terorist,
We can put game in 2 parts in middle of game goes boprder. Part 1 was shitty, all weapon, chose weapon, re load, visuals sucked,
That somali place and and 1th mission in Karachi , Pakistan, looks like NY, lol Philiphines was weird as well, but then when all was in Pakistan, Arabia peninsula, Bosnia all was OK, graphics all, I liked it.
Gonna run it 2-3 times more.
Last think, on the boat was good one.
----

15.01.2020 - 22:10
IronAngel
Finished Outer Worlds. Meh. Not as bad as it seemed at first, but it did not really deliver either on the promise of an interactive role-playing experience, or the promise of exhilarating space opera. It passed the time.

Also played West of Loathing. It was fun and did not overstay its welcome. I'm not a huge fan of comedy as a genre, whether in literature, films or games, but I enjoyed it.

Now I have no idea what to play. On the XBox game pass, there's Metro Last Light and Exodus, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Mutant Year Zero, Prey etc. I started Prey and KCD, but I really couldn't be bothered to learn the latter and an hour into the former I just knew exactly what kind of a game it was going to be like, enjoyable but ultimately familiar. Probably I'll pass pn Prey. I don't want to invest hours into clunky KCD if it turns out it's not a great, pure RPG but just a generic action adventure with some "immersion" sprinkled on top. I am not sure what it actually is.

Playing Unavowed with the wife, though. It's set in the same world as the Blackwell series. Awesome point-and-click games all, and this one is no exception. Really good atmosphere so far, and interesting story.
15.01.2020 - 22:23
IronAngel
Oh right, there's some metroidvanias available. Maybe I'll try those. If you had to choose only one of: Hollow Knight, Dead Cells, and Bloodstained: ROTN, which would it be?
15.01.2020 - 23:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by IronAngel on 15.01.2020 at 22:10

Finished Outer Worlds. Meh. Not as bad as it seemed at first, b

My friends has it, seems long and expencive, will try it after years
----

16.01.2020 - 00:54
Mercurial
I don't think Dead Cells is much of a metroidvania from what I've heard. I only played a bit of the beta but the gameplay loop didn't do it for me.

Bloodstained is just classic Castlevania in an ugly coat, though loses steam by the end for me.

I played a bit of Hollow Knight, it seems fine. It's lauded beyond imagination though so I guess it has something going for it.

Personally I preferred Blasphemous to all those, but that could just be my Dark Souls-Ian taste.
16.01.2020 - 01:03
Mercurial
Finished God of War (new one). To think I was even hesitant about getting it; I'd say it's an almost flawless game, from the simple, effective storytelling and voice acting, great characters, unbelievably explorable world, fun combat that draws a bit from Soulsborne, nice art style and all round polish and production values. It's very triple A, but I can't really fault it. It's massive too, I wish the game had a timer as it felt like I spent an age doing all the side content and I never got bored.

Having Christopher Judge and Jeremy Davies as voice actors was pretty inspired.

Playing this back to back with Jedi Fallen Order was a rare joy, as usually I have to wait years for games I like that much. Guess they both fall right into my taste brackets though.
20.01.2020 - 11:27
IronAngel
Written by Mercurial on 16.01.2020 at 00:54

I don't think Dead Cells is much of a metroidvania from what I've heard. I only played a bit of the beta but the gameplay loop didn't do it for me.

Bloodstained is just classic Castlevania in an ugly coat, though loses steam by the end for me.

I played a bit of Hollow Knight, it seems fine. It's lauded beyond imagination though so I guess it has something going for it.

Personally I preferred Blasphemous to all those, but that could just be my Dark Souls-Ian taste.

Yeah, Dead Cells didn't seem too interesting on closer inspection. Went of Hollow Knight since I suppose it's good to know what it's all about, whether I like it or not. But I do. It doesn't feel so much like an action platformer - I mean, it is, but the emphasis is more on exploring the semi-open world and soaking in the atmosphere. Apparently it's been compared to Dark Souls a lot, and mechanics aside, I think it does capture some of the same world design and melancholy mood (better than Castlevania or Ori and the Blind Forest which, although they're organic and interconnected maps, still feel distinctly like game "levels").