Metal Storm logo
The Next "Iron Maiden"?

Original post

Posted by Doc G., 29.10.2008 - 04:50
Ok, the topic title may seem a little vague, so let me explain.

Iron Maiden is just an example name, the greatest example I could find. Iron Maiden is one of those few metal bands that acquired mainstream success/mass appeal while still retaining the respect from the more elitist of metalheads. No one gets called a "poser" for being an Iron Maiden fan, yet they are waaay bigger than almost every band everyone deems as "sellouts".

So the more descriptive question is this: Who will be the next metal band (lets say bands that have formed in the last 10-15 years), that acquires mass appeal globally, while at the same time still holds respect from more elitist people?

Not such an easy question to answer. Due to the fact that the music business has completely changed since Iron Maidens prime, it's doubtful any other band in metal will reach the level of Iron Maiden again, so lets say the next mainstream band that everyone would be proud to be waving the "metal flag". Some possible answers that went through my head: Children Of Bodom - No, sure they are possibly one of the biggest metal bands to come out in the past 15 years, but once again they don't get much respect from the more learned of metalheads. Opeth maybe?

The reason I made this a topic is because I have no idea! In 25-30 years, Whats that one metal band thats not going to be known for selling out (*cough* *cough* Metallica *cough*), the band where all the kids are going to be wearing shirts of and referring to as "classic"? Any ideas anyone?
02.11.2008 - 13:25
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Bad English on 02.11.2008 at 13:19

Written by Elio on 02.11.2008 at 10:40

Written by [user id=2084] on 02.11.2008 at 03:47

Grave Digger? Who the fucks knows who they are? You can't call them the next Iron Maiden!

yeah. there's a bunch of power metal bands more known and appreciated than Grave Digger!

IT IS not power but heavy metal and listen band and you will understand it !!!!

Yeah sorry it's definitely heavy
Btw they are not that famous to be considered "New Iron Maiden", plus they are not eve "New"
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
03.11.2008 - 05:10
Gigginova
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 02.11.2008 at 13:19

Written by Elio on 02.11.2008 at 10:40

Written by [user id=2084] on 02.11.2008 at 03:47

Grave Digger? Who the fucks knows who they are? You can't call them the next Iron Maiden!

yeah. there's a bunch of power metal bands more known and appreciated than Grave Digger!

IT IS not power but heavy metal and listen band and you will understand it !!!!

Though their SOUND may be similar, their POPULARITY and NOTORIETY is NOTHING CLOSE.

But ummm off the top of my head, I might go with Pantera.....but I ain sure.
04.11.2008 - 19:00
VPeter
The people who say Children of Boredom need to check their brains once again. Children of Boredom are by far one of the most overrated bands ever, even the good Fellow The Reaper and Hatebreeder aren't the classics's people claim them to be. They were always disliked by metalheads and are hated now even more because of the ear rapes that are Are You Dead Yet? and Bloodrunk.

If there is a next Iron maiden then it's got to be Opeth, all tough I find Opeth boring. They have a huge popularity with the beginners and the more veteran metalheads and get respect from both camps.
04.11.2008 - 20:38
-Soulreaper-
Written by Introspekrieg on 29.10.2008 at 20:48

Written by [user id=2084] on 29.10.2008 at 20:09

So I think the question has been answered eh? The next "Iron Maiden"? Opeth only really...when I first saw this thread, I took a little while to skim through metal bands A-Z (yep...slow day at the office) to see which bands might attain this title and none really stood out...except for Opeth...but they could never be as big as Iron Maiden right?

Opeth's music reaches different demographics than Iron Maiden, i.e. emo kids, hardcore proggies, death fans, so I think it will take about 10 more years before they reach the same level (as long as the continue to avoid developing their sound or changing their style drastically). If Opeth puts a song in Guitar Hero or Rock Band expect them to get the Dragonforce effect, and you will see a lot more Opeth tees but this definitely removes all tr00 credibility (if they have any left). Ever since Iron Maiden has had songs on Guitar Hero I see all the skaters in my area wearing their shirts now- it's hilarious, having a video game be your channel to new music, but who knows... maybe I am just witnessing the paradigm shift. Anyways at least it is helping guitar-driven music become more popular, no matter how asinine it may be.

Well, I wouldn't doubt that Opeth may have a song in one of the Guitar Hero video games. Would be cool to see them and play one of their songs on it, but it would do a whole lot to ruin the credability of the band I think. But Opeth is already venturing into the video game world. On the new game Saints Row 2, Ghost of Perdition is one of the songs in it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saints_Row_2_soundtrack

But as for a new metal band reaching the status of Iron Maiden, I dont see it. The times of a true metal band getting huge is over in my opinion. Sure, some metal bands will have a huge following like Opeth or CoB or even Amon Amarth or alot of other bands on metalstorm, but they will never reach the status of Maiden in the mainstream.
04.11.2008 - 20:44
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by -Soulreaper- on 04.11.2008 at 20:38

But Opeth is already venturing into the video game world. On the new game Saints Row 2, Ghost of Perdition is one of the songs in it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saints_Row_2_soundtrack

Wow... I had no idea. I figured that was more of an "urban"-themed game.
Maybe I'm being irrational but I believe once an artist enters the commercial realm they can no longer be taken seriously as "Artists." They are now in the business of trying to make money and the focus has shifted. This isn't to say that it's bad, it's just one of those tough decisions that bands must make- Feed My Family or Stay True?
04.11.2008 - 21:29
-Soulreaper-
Written by Introspekrieg on 04.11.2008 at 20:44

But Opeth is already venturing into the video game world. On the new game Saints Row 2, Ghost of Perdition is one of the songs in it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saints_Row_2_soundtrack

Maybe I'm being irrational but I believe once an artist enters the commercial realm they can no longer be taken seriously as "Artists." They are now in the business of trying to make money and the focus has shifted. This isn't to say that it's bad, it's just one of those tough decisions that bands must make- Feed My Family or Stay True?

The game is along the same lines as the Grand Theft Auto franchise. In the case of Opeth being in it, I think that it is a Roadrunner records thing. Because if you notice, almost all of the bands that are on the "Metal Station", have been or are on roadrunner.
04.11.2008 - 22:34
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Introspekrieg on 04.11.2008 at 20:44

I don't think that as far as Opeth, one can say they have gone commercial. Plus, it's good they can make a living of the band alone. That's great. At the same time they have stayed true throughout their career. There is nothing "untrue" about the new album as well. It's great and original as usually.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
05.11.2008 - 22:26
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Maybe there will be never ever again band like Iron Maiden...maybe the music "experts" are right and metal was already frozen in its evolution and cant bring nothing "new"...yes there are still tons of high quality bands, but i really cant see any of them, which should be like Maiden...

maybe Nightwish should do it, but they´ll have to come out with some really really new and "special" on their next few albums...but anyway - they have their fans, a lot of fans of any age, but they are not selling out football stadiums like IM did and still do...and the only other "possible progress" band i can remember should be Turisas - first album was great, second was brilliant...but it depends what will come next and if viking folk metal should attract enough fans
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

05.11.2008 - 23:47
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Ellrohir on 05.11.2008 at 22:26

maybe Nightwish should do it, but they´ll have to come out with some really really new and "special" on their next few albums...but anyway - they have their fans, a lot of fans of any age, but they are not selling out football stadiums like IM did and still do...and the only other "possible progress" band i can remember should be Turisas - first album was great, second was brilliant...but it depends what will come next and if viking folk metal should attract enough fans

Nah, Nightwish' music is barely metal as it is, its far too fluffy. That and from what I hear there were very few actual metalheads or people over the age of 16 at the show when Nightwish were in my town. Turisas could but they wont, because as much I hate to say it, they are a bit of a gimmick band, and that sort of limits them to a certain audience.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
06.11.2008 - 01:28
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Nightwish to me is metal enough and when I saw them in Montreal they attracted a lot of metalheads over the age of 16 that's for sure...I guess that's because Montreal knows what metal is

Heavy metal is based on a very loose blueprint these days and employs many ecclectic influences...therefore, Nightwish is capable is being the next Iron Maiden if they wanted to...
06.11.2008 - 02:36
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=2084] on 06.11.2008 at 01:28

Nightwish to me is metal enough and when I saw them in Montreal they attracted a lot of metalheads over the age of 16 that's for sure...I guess that's because Montreal knows what metal is

Heavy metal is based on a very loose blueprint these days and employs many ecclectic influences...therefore, Nightwish is capable is being the next Iron Maiden if they wanted to...

I suppose. It could also be Rob Zombie....theres not a lot of tr00ism hate towards him I've noticed...
----
- George Carlin
06.11.2008 - 04:28
Hrothdane
Written by [user id=2084] on 06.11.2008 at 01:28

I could see that becoming the case as well depending largely on how their next few albums come out and their reception. They are quite popular, and reflect to a large extent the ecclectic influences on metal, but unless they get a lot more "tr00 metal" cred I don't see it happening.
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
10.11.2008 - 07:10
Toast
Account deleted
I don't think there ever will be a New Iron Maiden. The closest match I can think of is probably Iced Earth. They don't exactly match the description of the "New Iron Maiden" though. They're not exactly new, and while I havent seen any hate towards them on this site I'm not 100% sure of how respectable they are.

They have some key similarities though; they're big names, they're heavy metal, and they make good music (imo).
10.11.2008 - 08:40
nana.MD
Star-Queen
...interesting topic...hmm...i've been thinking about it and idk...imo it's just really difficult to find a band that could actually become as great and legendary like the irons...i agree opeth is pretty popular but going that far? hmm...well i would have to listen to them more, i recently got into them so maybe i'll tell u my opinion about it later...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
10.11.2008 - 21:56
arwestromen
The band who will become the new IM must be a hard working band......record a good album, tour,tour,tour, two weeks break, into the studio, record a new and better album, tour, tour and tour..."work'em hard" one album/year one world tour/year
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
10.11.2008 - 22:29
Icarus
!PROSLACKER!
What about Dream Theater they're not THAT old have a huge fan base , are quite popular and people dont get called out as posers for liking it in fact they even attract a big non-metal crowd dont u think?
----
-At live's eve our flames will cease-
11.11.2008 - 00:28
BrightNight
Most likely it has to be a band who is on MTV ofcourse.....and not the rock/metal channel but the normal casual mtv. How would they otherwise reach the mainstream more? Nightwish is one of those bands. I was always a HUGE Nightwish fan. Even when Tarja left i thought it still would have a good change. But the new singer is like the freaking metal version of Britney Spears. The music is still great though but a band needs a singer. And already a lot of metalheads have dropped Nightwish. But is Nightwish pure metal? Its not like the purety of Maiden nor Metallica (early) metal. A lot of metalheads dont consider "gothic/female fairy dancing frontwoman" bands to be the FLAG carriers of the metal scene. Atleast i dont.

In my country i see it with Within Temptation. A great band actually, and it was quite pure and original...till they went to commercial and i did not see them as Metal anymore....just commercial Rock with influences of metal. But still they are Music Export product number 1 of The Netherlands. A quite impressive achievement if you ask me! Though for the purer Metalhead they are not so intresting anymore.

What i want to say with this is ; If a band wants to be this succesfull, they need to drop a lot of pure Metal fans, and please the masses....

Can it be done? Well Indeed Iron Maiden stayed true to themselves and the scene, still going strong with the same music and the act as they did from the start. Their achievements make me proud as a Metalhead. But the question is one i think i cannot awnser......cant think of a band who will hold the True Metalhead and the rest of the world in its grip. Metallica did it for a bit....but not as Iron Maiden.

Metallica seems a bit to return to their roots with their Death Magnetic....and win old fans back....maybe this is the only way to reach both the masses and the Metalhead? Sell out....and return to the roots....sell out....return to the roots....sell out....

But my best geuss and try for a band (and HOPE as a fan) would be Iced Earth. If they would tour with Metallica, Iron maiden or Ozzy. I think they can reach, and hold a huge interest in the not so pure metalhead/masses who are on those concerts. Why? because they (Jon Schaffer)are one of those bands who would not forsaken their roots and fans, not for all the money in the world. A shame those type of bands dont get more recognition.

And also, remember times have changed. In the 70s/80s metal and "bands" (rock/hard rock/bleus) where more accepted then now.
----
"So you children of the world, listen to what I say
If you want a better place to live in spread the words today
Show the world that love is still alive you must be brave
Or you children of today are Children of the Grave."
11.11.2008 - 13:57
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Icarus on 10.11.2008 at 22:29

What about Dream Theater they're not THAT old have a huge fan base , are quite popular and people dont get called out as posers for liking it in fact they even attract a big non-metal crowd dont u think?

I think they could be, now that you mention them. I saw "Forsaken" video on VH1 the other day, that's a pretty indication of their increasing "mainstream exposure". They have plenty of albums already and I think they will certainly be as Maiden in terms of longevity and they were creative and original. They have a lot of sold-out shows but so do other bands.

I don't know, it's not easy to predict the future really.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
18.11.2008 - 10:47
Eeric
Account deleted
Written by BloodTears on 11.11.2008 at 13:57

I think they could be, now that you mention them. I saw "Forsaken" video on VH1 the other day, that's a pretty indication of their increasing "mainstream exposure". They have plenty of albums already and I think they will certainly be as Maiden in terms of longevity and they were creative and original. They have a lot of sold-out shows but so do other bands.

I don't know, it's not easy to predict the future really.

I think Dream Theater can't be "new iron maiden" even if they have some "radio hits" it ain't popular music. Other musicians likes DT but not mainstream people. btw DT rocks.

Old Nightwish could have been it, not anymore. Tuomas has lost the touch.

maybe older Sonata Arctica, but I think that the latest album is too complicated to mainstream.

I think it would be Slipknot, or another who be on MTV or something. But the music must be simple, like Maiden's have. (I'm not mocking either Maiden's or Slipknot)
18.11.2008 - 20:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Hammerfall - Its Swedish verseion about Iron miaden and Joachim Cans are likre swedish Bruce Dickinson, listen band and its liek IM, even doint play so hevay, one of rear PM bands what I love
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.11.2008 - 20:59
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Bad English on 18.11.2008 at 20:37

Hammerfall - Its Swedish verseion about Iron miaden and Joachim Cans are likre swedish Bruce Dickinson, listen band and its liek IM, even doint play so ehvay, one of rear PM bands what I love

That's not what this thread is about.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
18.11.2008 - 21:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Lucas on 18.11.2008 at 20:59

Written by Bad English on 18.11.2008 at 20:37

Hammerfall - Its Swedish verseion about Iron miaden and Joachim Cans are likre swedish Bruce Dickinson, listen band and its liek IM, even doint play so ehvay, one of rear PM bands what I love

That's not what this thread is about.

I know but they belongs here, this band are popular and belongs to this tread IMO
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
19.11.2008 - 06:43
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=35853] on 18.11.2008 at 10:47

I think Dream Theater can't be "new iron maiden" even if they have some "radio hits" it ain't popular music. Other musicians likes DT but not mainstream people. btw DT rocks.

maybe older Sonata Arctica, but I think that the latest album is too complicated to mainstream.

I think it would be Slipknot, or another who be on MTV or something. But the music must be simple, like Maiden's have. (I'm not mocking either Maiden's or Slipknot)

Perhaps if you read the opening post you'd understand what this thread is actually about, and Slipknot does not belong and Dream Theater is a very good answer.
----
- George Carlin
19.11.2008 - 08:07
Metalbound7

Maybe there will be never ever again band like Iron Maiden...maybe the music "experts" are right and metal was already frozen in its evolution and cant bring nothing "new"...yes there are still tons of high quality bands, but i really cant see any of them, which should be like Maiden...

Frozen in it's Evolution? What are you talking about? Airbourne - New AC/DC, Chrome Division - New Motorhead, Hardcore Superstar - New Guns n Roses. So why there wouldn´t be a new Maiden? is just matter of time. Im sure someday we will have the new Gods of Metal but right now we are just fine with Maiden.
19.11.2008 - 08:58
nana.MD
Star-Queen

...hmm coming to think about it i think they could be a posibility...i think they've made alot in the past years, they've climbed higher & higher (even though i dont like much they're last albums) their popularity is growing alot...think about their images & words, it's a must have album not only for prog fans...they also attract alot of non-metal audience, i noticed that it in their past concerts, there's alot of ppl into them because they appreciate their music, most of them aren't into metal...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
19.11.2008 - 09:15
Metalbound7
For me There's a band that is already at the side of Iron Maiden or Judas Priest.

Iced Earth

They just need more good albums like Burnt offering or Something Wicked This Way Comes (Whit Barlow of course)
19.11.2008 - 09:25
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Metalbound7 on 19.11.2008 at 08:07

Frozen in it's Evolution? What are you talking about? Airbourne - New AC/DC, Chrome Division - New Motorhead, Hardcore Superstar - New Guns n Roses. So why there wouldn´t be a new Maiden? is just matter of time. Im sure someday we will have the new Gods of Metal but right now we are just fine with Maiden.

Actually those examples you listed are prime examples of metal being frozen in evolution. Bands being direct cut-and-paste from another band, dont get me wrong, I love Chrome Division, but they're unoriginal as fuck. Airbourne rips off AC/DC to an incredibly sickening extent (not only borrowing sound, but copying exact riffs and exact song structures). And Hardcore Superstar sounds nothing like GnR.

Once again, it doesn't have to sound like Maiden, Maiden is simply an example, I'm talking about newer bands that have a balance between commercial success as well as being respected by more close-minded of metalheads. Its got nothing to do with a certain sound.
----
- George Carlin
19.11.2008 - 13:55
Icarus
!PROSLACKER!
Opeth is another band i consider will get bigger and bigger maybe to the extent of being compare with Iron Maiden (fanbase wise). Theyre music is awesome and really moving having fans go crazy for them
----
-At live's eve our flames will cease-
20.11.2008 - 09:40
Eeric
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 19.11.2008 at 06:43

Written by [user id=35853] on 18.11.2008 at 10:47

Perhaps if you read the opening post you'd understand what this thread is actually about, and Slipknot does not belong and Dream Theater is a very good answer.

Well, that's how I understand it.
Dream theater will never be mainstream. It takes more than just one Forsaken.
20.11.2008 - 09:42
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
I just can think of Opeth and Dream Theater, but they would need to make an entire MTV/VH1 commercial album, I think that would be considered as a betrayal for all their fans (and no, I do not consider Damnation as a commercial album). Opeth is a little harder, I can't think of everyone digesting Mikael's growl's even if they are great they are not as commercial as clean vocals.

Metallica needs a groundbreaking album to recover all the fans lost in many years of living la vida loca, but that seems impossible.

Maybe Iron Maiden will be considered the Gods of Metal for a long long time.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"