Metal Storm logo
Satyricon

Original post

Posted by matos, 19.07.2006 - 18:44
No official Satyricon thread ?!? ok here it is !
I don't want to write a wide monologue about how i feel about the band, so i'll just give you the short version:
Satyricon: you should all know them! they've been my favourite band for quite a long time, it's hard to decide which album attracts me the most, but i'd say it's DMT. Many people don't like their later material (after Nemesis Devina), but come on Rebel Extravaganza is also a masterpiece, the main problem about this album is that it comes after their legendary 3rd album - Nemesis Devina. But i'd call RE a great example of moderen black metal that is not yet sell-out. About Vulcano - yeah, it's not that good album, but still there are some good songs to be found on it. After this album we all hoped that Satyricon would return to their roots, but they turned in totally different direction- towards mtv
So i guess that is a fatal downfall, for the Kings of Black metal

Sad ending of a story... But i have i wonderful news for my Slovenian friends! I've heared Satyricon are coming to Slovenia this autumn!! (sorce: http://www.rockthenation.at/index.php?id=37)
08.10.2006 - 01:14
Colder
Account deleted
Satyicon live; 21st and 23rd of september.

So here you go. Two Satyricon gigs in 3 days time. The studio tracks to me are brilliant. Dark medieval times to Now, Diabolical, all of them. But live the power truly comes alive. A track like "walk the path of sorrow" become a hypnotic metal maelstrom of unknown proportions. To put it simple I was blown away twice. Most of my favorite tracks were played and they didn't do the same setlist twice which is nice. The two cover tracks I heard (well actually three cause they played a small part of iron man) were ok. I liked the Bathory cover "raise the dead" better than Slayer's "Reign in Blood" but that's personal. Satyr was in tip top shape and Frost hammered his huge drumkit like a true viking. As for Jonna Nikula, I think i'm in love! The other band members did their best as well making these the best concerts so far this year. If you get the chance to see them then go go go!! ~A furore normannanum, libere nos, domine~

Colder
08.10.2006 - 03:53
Daru Jericho
I wish I could see them twice. They were very commanding when I saw them. 'Walk The Path Of Sorrow' was magnificent live but I wish they would've played more of DMT, such as 'Taakeslottet' or one of my favourite Satyricon songs of all time, 'Into The Mighty Forest'. I would have died of joy.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

09.10.2006 - 14:43
ElizabethBathory
Account deleted
In Vienna (Wien) Satyr got the whole glass of bier into his head, at the very beginning of the concert. Khm...I was not there, somebody who was, has put a note in one forum.
09.10.2006 - 17:34
Warman
Erotic Stains
Haha, I changed my mind! Me and my friend will buy tickets to Satyricon this November ... I'm sure it will rock!
----
10.10.2006 - 11:45
Jinx
Account deleted
I'v seen them twice this year too although the gigs were 4 months apart so i didn't worry about same set list or anything, not that i needed too. I hadn't really 'taken' to Now, Diabolical and i've been a fan of theirs for 10 years so i was hoping they'd prove the slatings they've been getting wrong and they did.
One thing about Satyricon i love is there's always energy in their shows, someone mentioned Satyr's 'rock star persona' and i agree it's definitely there along with a growing ego (comparing the first time i met him almost 5 years ago and when i met him on this tour) but he still puts his all into live shows which i love about him, as always on both occasions Frost absolutely blew me away, the guy is like a machine.
I managed to speak to Frost after one of the shows for a while and we talked about the direction the band is taking, he said that they're not trying to be 'old' BM, but rather trying to make their own sound so that if you hear them you don't say that's Black Metal or that's Death Metal...but more that you say oh that's definitely Satyricon, but he also said that he has 1349 to play Black Metal and he's enjoying the change of direction within Satyricon.
10.10.2006 - 17:52
Hyvaarin
Written by Daru Jericho on 08.10.2006 at 03:53

I wish I could see them twice. They were very commanding when I saw them. 'Walk The Path Of Sorrow' was magnificent live...

THEY PLAYED IT?!??!?!?

Going to see them in December, can't wait - especially now I know they'll (probably) play 'Walk The Path Of Sorrow".
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
11.10.2006 - 12:19
ElizabethBathory
Account deleted
Here is the set list Satyricon was playing in Ljubljana, Slovenia on the 4.th of October 2006. I got it on our forum in Slovenia.

1.The Pentagram Burns (Now, Diabolical)
2.Woods to Eternity (The Shadowthrone)
3.Now, Diabolical (Now, Diabolical)
4.Possessed (Volcano)
5.K.I.N.G (Now, Diabolical)
6.Walk the Path of Sorrow (Dark Medieval Times)
7.Supersonic Journey (Rebel Extravaganza)
8.Repined Bastard Nation (Volcano)
9.Forhekset (Nemesis Divina)
10.Fuel for Hatred (Volcano)
11.Rite of Our Cross (Now, Diabolical)
12.Dominions of Satyricon (The Shadowthrone)
13.Mother North (Nemesis Divina)
11.10.2006 - 13:33
Necronomicon
Account deleted
fuck im looking forwardt to see them i Denmark... are they good live???
11.10.2006 - 14:51
ElizabethBathory
Account deleted
Written by [user id=16496] on 11.10.2006 at 13:33

fuck im looking forwardt to see them i Denmark... are they good live???

Excellent. Our metalheads were more than satysfied and besides that they are very demanding. Prepare all of your organs of senses for the gig. Their session players are awesome. 6 people on the stage.WOW! One of those people is a woman on organs. Hehehe...
11.10.2006 - 17:30
Jinx
Account deleted
Jonna's a very good addition on the keyboard, she does a fantastic job. My favourite session musician with them is Steinar, he's been playing with them for 7 years and he's just been brilliant every time i've seen them.
03.11.2006 - 23:06
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Got myself a copy of Now, Diabolical yesterday. On CD it kicks so much more asses than on my PC.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
03.11.2006 - 23:59
Basso
Account deleted
I really really dislike Now, Diabolical. Yet I think I will see them live this month. Lets hope for some awesome Pre Now Diabolical songs. Hopefully some Dark Medival times and Mother North <3
04.11.2006 - 12:22
Scylla
Account deleted
Though I like Volcano a lot, it's maybe the best modern black metal album I've heard, I just don't get Now, Diabolical. It's not cold and evil at all, like Volcano is. It's too simple and boring, there's no aggression or hatred in the songs. But songs like Repined Bastard Nation and Black Lava on Volcano are just something amazing.

And you guys can't be serious, no one can really think that the whore on the Fuel For Hatred video is attractive. She makes me throw up.
04.11.2006 - 17:28
Necronomicon
Account deleted
i agree with now diablic they have lost their old evil black metal sound. They are like a new band but their new sound is also great even though it dosent sound evil...
04.11.2006 - 17:39
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Maby I havn't really heard enough by these guys to pass any kind of judgement, but I really don't care for them much, I've onl heard the song "King," and the lyrics were horrible, and the riff was extremely dry. Don't think I'm not a black metal fan either, I just don't really have much of a flame for these dudes.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
04.11.2006 - 22:01
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Well, I thought I would get those replies. And I disagree with all of them.

Now, Diabolical is extremely agressive, yet in a different sense. The hatred is also there, yet in a different sense. Of course I see it is far from the early Satyricon, but I think this was a good progression. I mean, just like Darkthrone, they also wanted to give a new 'fuck off', but this time to the established Black Metal scene. Or I think they wanted to.

But without all those ideas and stuff, for me it is just some awesome catchy Black Metal-like music.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
05.11.2006 - 02:36
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Lucas on 04.11.2006 at 22:01

Well, I thought I would get those replies. And I disagree with all of them.

Now, Diabolical is extremely agressive, yet in a different sense. The hatred is also there, yet in a different sense. Of course I see it is far from the early Satyricon, but I think this was a good progression. I mean, just like Darkthrone, they also wanted to give a new 'fuck off', but this time to the established Black Metal scene. Or I think they wanted to.

But without all those ideas and stuff, for me it is just some awesome catchy Black Metal-like music.

I like it! The first track is probably my favorite song on that album, even though I disliked it at first. I think the last two songs aren't too good, but the rest of the album is pretty solid.
05.11.2006 - 12:46
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Hehe, nice!

I think most people need to accept that this album is the new Satyricon. Then it'll show it's beauty. Let's hope so.
----

05.11.2006 - 13:06
Basso
Account deleted
The fact that I dont respect Satyricons progression is not anything that makes me dislike Now Diabolical. ND and Volcano are both very alike but at the same time I see ND as an incredibly dry version of Volcano. Basicly if I want black n roll in this vein I start Volcano. No need for ND since I find basicly every song on that album incredibly dry.

And lets not speak about the song K.I.N.G gosh its so horrible.

Well anyway, cheers
05.11.2006 - 13:11
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Well, what exactly do you mean with 'dry'? And why is it a bad thing?

I haven't yet heard Volcano, but I'll try it out.
----

05.11.2006 - 19:27
Basso
Account deleted
Dry in the meaning of "I have heard this riff now for about 3 minutes please change riff since this riff isnt even fun to listen to". Well tastes differ so lets still play happily.

And yes check out Volcano. It is imo a good album.
06.11.2006 - 21:38
matos
hi, i don't know why i did not post here earlier.. but here are some facts:
-Satyricon is best live band ever (and are also my fav band anyway)
-Now, diabolical is very weak album imo (compared to other albums), but live - now that a different stroy! It's more than obvious that Satyr really enjoys performing new songs and does old songs for the fans like me However, about Satyricon live my fellow citizen Elizabeth told you everything.
-Jonna is one of the hottest chicks i've ever seen! and she also did good job on keybords
-Obsidian C. is probably the best session guitaris they could have, first he played Keep of kalessin show and after short half an hour he was back on stage with satyr! + he only missed one riff in fuel for hatred and even that was only because he came to close to my friend who grabbed his head (yeah crazy women )

So everyone that is still hesitating wheter to see 'em next time or not... fucking buy the ticket and go see them live!!
----
06.11.2006 - 23:25
Basso
Account deleted
Written by matos on 06.11.2006 at 21:38

hi, i don't know why i did not post here earlier.. but here are some facts:
-Satyricon is best live band ever (and are also my fav band anyway)
-Now, diabolical is very weak album imo (compared to other albums), but live - now that a different stroy! It's more than obvious that Satyr really enjoys performing new songs and does old songs for the fans like me However, about Satyricon live my fellow citizen Elizabeth told you everything.
-Jonna is one of the hottest chicks i've ever seen! and she also did good job on keybords
-Obsidian C. is probably the best session guitaris they could have, first he played Keep of kalessin show and after short half an hour he was back on stage with satyr! + he only missed one riff in fuel for hatred and even that was only because he came to close to my friend who grabbed his head (yeah crazy women )

So everyone that is still hesitating wheter to see 'em next time or not... fucking buy the ticket and go see them live!!

Getting my ticket now. XD
09.11.2006 - 14:39
ElizabethBathory
Account deleted
@Basso: waiting for your comments. And...don't even think not to sing together with Satyr.
09.11.2006 - 18:01
Basso
Account deleted
Hmm it isnt untill 17 november I will see them :O. But the wait wont be to long Iron Maiden tomorrow and Unholy next friday, and then satyricon the thursday week after. Awesome november it is indeed.
10.11.2006 - 13:03
ElizabethBathory
Account deleted
Not bad. But I would prefer to see Emperor again instead of Iron Maiden.
10.11.2006 - 13:06
ElizabethBathory
Account deleted
@Soulreaper

Correct.
Just curious: is she Satyr's wife?
10.11.2006 - 14:44
Basso
Account deleted
Written by [user id=2541] on 10.11.2006 at 13:03

Who wouldent prefer Emperor over Maiden. I would anyday my dear friend. atleast I saw them at wacken. But how did we get into this conversation ?
10.11.2006 - 15:27
Warman
Erotic Stains
Well, changed my mind again. Canceled my Satyricon ticket and bought a tickte to Cradle of Filth instead. Sorry all Satyricon fans
----
10.11.2006 - 15:42
ElizabethBathory
Account deleted
Written by [user id=5394] on 10.11.2006 at 14:44

Written by [user id=2541] on 10.11.2006 at 13:03

Who wouldent prefer Emperor over Maiden. I would anyday my dear friend. atleast I saw them at wacken. But how did we get into this conversation ?

Your avatar is the reason why I have mentioned Emperor. I saw them in Wacken, too. Awesome gig.
World is so weird, it is so small.