Metal Storm logo
You know you're a metalhead when...

Original post

Posted by The Alchemist, 13.10.2006 - 23:38
Well, lately I've been thinking about what does you make you a metalhead.
Listening to the music? going to concerts? dressing metal clothes? some attitude?

I don't know if I can consider myself a metalhead because I do listen to a lot of bands of different genres: Gothic, Folk, Power, Symphonic, Industrial, Atmospheric, Doom, Black, Progressive and Gothenburg. But, I don't dress metal clothes, I listen to many other kinds of music, I've never been in a metal concert... So, just being a metal expert makes you a metalhead?
What do you think?
16.10.2006 - 17:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=1279] on 16.10.2006 at 17:12

I just disagree in saying that our musical tastes, in relation to metal, is shallow.

Sorry, I wasn't too clear apparently. I didn't mean that our musical tastes in relation to metal is shallow. But that friendships based purely on music tastes are shallow.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.10.2006 - 17:32
{aud}devil
Lush McGee
What qualifies me as a metalhead I guess is the way I let the music flow from my ears into my veins, do you know what I'm saying? Music is in my blood, its what I do. Its not about image, its not about the concerts, its about the music and the great lyrics behind them.
----
Awesome sauce, chicken boss!
Laugh until it means something
16.10.2006 - 17:56
Vidrageon
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.10.2006 at 17:25

I just disagree in saying that our musical tastes, in relation to metal, is shallow.

Sorry, I wasn't too clear apparently. I didn't mean that our musical tastes in relation to metal is shallow. But that friendships based purely on music tastes are shallow.

There, I agree 100%, basing friendships on music tastes is shallow.

Where I disagree, though, is when you're out on a night with a group of friends and meet another metalhead or group of metalheads, youre more inclined to talk to them than people dressing in wigger clothes, if you catch my drift. Furthermore, making aquaintances with random people on the street that you meet, total strangers, is easier to do if you can immediately have a connection...that is, if it's even necessary. Just the feeling of knowing that both of you share something by giving them a nod or wearing the same band tshirt can be fantastic, the friendship does not have to run deeper than passing each other on the street for such a positive result.
16.10.2006 - 18:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=1279] on 16.10.2006 at 17:56

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.10.2006 at 17:25

There, I agree 100%, basing friendships on music tastes is shallow.

Where I disagree, though, is when you're out on a night with a group of friends and meet another metalhead or group of metalheads, youre more inclined to talk to them than people dressing in wigger clothes, if you catch my drift. Furthermore, making aquaintances with random people on the street that you meet, total strangers, is easier to do if you can immediately have a connection...that is, if it's even necessary. Just the feeling of knowing that both of you share something by giving them a nod or wearing the same band tshirt can be fantastic, the friendship does not have to run deeper than passing each other on the street for such a positive result.

Okay, maybe for you. But I disagree with youo on that aspect. I find it much more interesting to start up a conversation with a "wigger" or other people.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.10.2006 - 18:22
Vidrageon
Account deleted
Aye, I guess it's all down to personal opinion. I don't mind talking to anybody, but I have an instant affinity with anybody who displays musical tastes which I can relate to and should then have an easy time conversing.
16.10.2006 - 18:26
Skald
Account deleted
Hmm, this is how it goes for me:

You play RPGs? Cool, what systems?
You go to medieval festivals? Cool, do you belong to any knighthood?
You play a guitar? Cool, do you play in any band?
You listen to metal? Cool, what bands?

And so on. I mean, if I find out someone has at least one thing in common with me, I make a convo. Not all my friends have same interests as I do (for example some I meet at uni), but I tend to develop much deeper friendships with people who do.

And I have to agree with Vidrageon. People who listen to viking metal usually have very similar interests. Same goes for power metal (around here it's hard to come across a power metal fan that never joined or thought about joining a knighthood).
17.10.2006 - 15:10
the dark goddess
Account deleted
when you listen to Metal?
17.10.2006 - 15:28
DLMokoma
Account deleted
I know I'm a metalhead when I listen to metal, want to hear more of it, be willing to search new bands 24/7 and just enjoying it. So I guess it's kind of addiction I also go to concerts when my monetary situation lets me. I sometimes dress to metal cloths, depending on what does people concider as metalclothing.
I listen to metal almost all the time.
17.10.2006 - 21:41
Suicide Bug
Account deleted
You know you are a true metalhead when the chicks tend to avoid you, and generally when you try to look like a tought guy while actually being a complete whimp .

In all seriousness, this thread is pretty similar to "The Poser Thread" and the "True Metal" thread already present in the forum. My opinion is that there is no way and no point in seeking an universal definition of "metalhead". Some people say it's about the attitude, the clothing, the ideas (which ideas?); while others argue you only need to listen to metal music to be a metalhead. But even so, it appears not everyone agrees on which bands are "really metal" and which aren't.
I say I don't give a crap. In fact, I think that everyone who is overly concerned with this has an issue (or more than one). This isn't meant to be a spiteful remark, it's just a suggestion I hope might be useful to someone. There is so much more to the world than the supposed "metal culture" so many peeps seem to be obsessed about. You have to put things into perspective and realize that metal is just music. Nothing more. All music genres have their histories and anedoctes, but you can't take it too far. For example, the common practice of judging people altogether for their music tastes or trends ("emos", "goths", "nu-metal kids") is absolutely simplistic. I am not here to preach you the we-are-all-brothers sermon, I am just suggesting there might be more serious issues to disagree on. Try to broaden your perspectives, you may discover that it doesn't necessarily take a metalhead to make a cool person, and that a similar taste in music is no guarantee of any other likeliness. Again, there is so much more to people than the tunes they listen to.
I understand and agree that being fans of the same bands will give you a common ground on which to start socializing, but just like any other subject.

We all love metal here, it's such a powerful, inspiring music that can give you such a rush of adrenaline that it feels like you were born listening to it. But if this interest becomes a form of illusionary eltism and self-limitation it will eventually turn against us, making us small, narrow-minded people focused on trivial, dull matters. Let your music be your fuel, not your chains.
17.10.2006 - 22:36
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Written by [user id=1738] on 17.10.2006 at 21:41

We all love metal here, it's such a powerful, inspiring music that can give you such a rush of adrenaline that it feels like you were born listening to it. But if this interest becomes a form of illusionary eltism and self-limitation it will eventually turn against us, making us small, narrow-minded people focused on trivial, dull matters. Let your music be your fuel, not your chains.

Wow, wise comment man, I agree 100% with you, we must be careful with that, being narrow minded isn't the idea of life, and well, the last quote: let your music be your fuel, not your chains... wow! it made me think so much...
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
17.10.2006 - 22:55
Unholy_Emperor
Yeah, but anyway I think nobody believes that to be a metalhead means become into a stupid whimp without personality.
18.10.2006 - 00:02
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
I think that when you listen to metal - considering yourself a metalhead or not - does change you in some way, creating a new side of you, or at least that's my case
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
18.10.2006 - 00:33
Vidrageon
Account deleted
Written by [user id=1738] on 17.10.2006 at 21:41

Exactly, and our love of the music is something we love to share..this sight, gigs, concerts...we congregate, share the love of the same music...but also have completely different tastes that usually are nothing alike, while still liking the same powerful things...and a sense of unity in being a metalhead is not necessarily dressing metal, but dressing in a way that one can easily identify each other and share that special bond.
18.10.2006 - 17:28
Unholy_Emperor
Written by The Alchemist on 18.10.2006 at 00:02

I think that when you listen to metal - considering yourself a metalhead or not - does change you in some way, creating a new side of you, or at least that's my case

That's true, so metal expands your horizons that in my opinion has nothing to do with becoming a robot without own ideas. And anyway in metal there are so many ideas and feelings one different from each other.
18.10.2006 - 21:05
ASiema113
To me it's when there some song like Kill Your Mother Rape your Dog, or Metalocalypse's Theme and all you want to do is bandg your head for the instant the song's on.

And as far as friends go my best friends/or my relations that I have with people are way more active with people who listen to metal then with others. And even if we havn't seen or talked to each other in a while I find we relate the most. But I find that's who I have the most in common with and same tastes in other things as well.

I guess it's convienent but I feel those are the relations that are worth having worth kicking someone's ass over shit like that.
----

Written by [user id=22888] on 18.01.2008 at 09:05

People are always at their very best when they're dead.
19.10.2006 - 08:29
Zomvik_1511
When I don't wear black, nor inverted crosses, nor t-shirts of bands, greasy hair, dramatic makeup, militar o high boots, chais nor any of those things and I get recognized in the streets for listening Metal. Beat that. One of the bests moments in my life.

And don't get offended by the generalizations I did in the first line, they are just generalizations and tags. Stupid tags must I say.
----
"Unexploited potencial is nothing, absolutely nothing"

[Perverse Suffering - Carved from the inside out]
[One person can change the World with a bullet in the right place]
20.10.2006 - 00:56
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
Differences create a sense of individuality between the groups, whether it be metal that is the one common ground or another interest, imo

to be metal is to enjoy it.;)
25.10.2006 - 17:42
Sunioj
You realize your a metalhead when a song without a guitar solo sux.
25.10.2006 - 18:19
Warman
Erotic Stains
Awwww, Hellraizer ... that's not true! Let's take a formidable song like Slayer's "Piece by Piece", no solos, still a masterpiece!
----
25.10.2006 - 18:58
Valentin B
Iconoclast
you realize you're a metalhead when you bang your head to your favorite band so bad,your neck muscles start to scream in pain
26.10.2006 - 14:42
Warman
Erotic Stains
When you bang your head against the stage like you never did before!
When your adrenalin starts to flow, you're thrasing all around, acting like a maniac ... (WHIPLASH)
----
26.10.2006 - 14:51
Valentin B
Iconoclast
..and when you realise there's no life til leather
26.10.2006 - 14:54
Warman
Erotic Stains
Yeah it's fucking WHIPLASH!
No but actually, I think that the Metallica song "Whiplash" truly describes what a metalhead is, now that I think of it.
----
28.10.2006 - 06:27
GrimRocker
Account deleted
You know your a metal head when you spend 50$ on 2 or 3 CD's when you could have gotten a game or a stripper in a bunch of gelloe or a bunch of gravey is a tub. There are lots of great possibilitys. But i chose 3 CD's. And that is what makes me a metal head.
02.11.2006 - 04:22
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
You know you're a metal head when you Practice headbanging in the mirror.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
02.11.2006 - 04:36
Erosive Offals
Account deleted
Written by [user id=17397] on 28.10.2006 at 06:27

You know your a metal head when you spend 50$ on 2 or 3 CD's when you could have gotten a game or a stripper in a bunch of gelloe or a bunch of gravey is a tub. There are lots of great possibilitys. But i chose 3 CD's. And that is what makes me a metal head.

Truth. I spend just about every red cent I have on metal CDs or T Shirts
02.11.2006 - 06:55
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
You know you're a metalhead when you find yourself singing to Manowar's anthems
03.11.2006 - 13:50
Xaphiris
You know you're a metal head when you can no longer wake up to Childern Of Bodom - Everytime I Die...
----
04.11.2006 - 04:03
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
@Bluecifer: Agreed

Anyway, you know your a Metalhead when you can Sleep to "The sound of perserverance" By Death, or "Of one Blood" By shadows fall (Albums that is.)
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
04.11.2006 - 15:29
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
Written by Arian Totalis on 04.11.2006 at 04:03

@Bluecifer: Agreed

Anyway, you know your a Metalhead when you can Sleep to "The sound of perserverance" By Death, or "Of one Blood" By shadows fall (Albums that is.)

Hmmm, I think the majority would only agree to the first one, athough it is good to wake to any good metal song:)!