Metal Storm logo
Cricket

Original post

Posted by Valar, 19.05.2006 - 17:01
Glad to open a Cricket Thread the most followed and worshipped game in the Indian Subcontinent though i am pessimistic this thread will get many patrons
Updating India Won Vs The West Indies in West Indies it was the first match of the ongoing 5 match ODI series and will be followed by the test series.
Also Sri lanka Drew ther match with England as England dropped 9 catches and dropped the opportunity to go 1-0 up in the test series.
06.07.2006 - 20:02
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.07.2006 at 19:49

258 all out after 49 overs. So not demolished as badly as last Tuesday.

Great effort overall, I think the minnows are starting to come up in the cricketing world. Holland should play Zimbabwe and Bangladesh some time, because it would be quite close, I'm sure they could even shake up some of the more temperamental 'big teams' like India and Pakistan as well. Be proud Ozman!
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
18.07.2006 - 08:53
Judas
The Amputator
By the way, speaking mainly to the Indian/Pakistani-origin people, but maybe the others will be interested too, have any of you seen the film 'Iqbal'? It's about a deaf and mute guy living in a small village in India, who aspires to play for the Indian cricket team, and how he struggles to make his dream reality. Just saw it last night, it's not an unbelievably great film or anything, but it's quite decent, and interesting.
----
18.07.2006 - 11:09
Valar
IndianSteel
^^ Yeah man i have, it was a great movie too(suprisingly)....Performances put in by the cast were exemplary and somewhat shows the current trend of players in India comming from villages or small towns....
----
"It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien, "Three Is Company," The Lord of the Rings
21.08.2006 - 00:18
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
The fourth test match between England and Pakistan was called off this evening following an accusation of ball tampering.

http://msnsport.skysports.com/matchreport.aspx?fxid=296245&CPID=469&channel=Cricket
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
21.08.2006 - 12:28
Valar
IndianSteel
^^Yeah i was watching that, i think the umpires are at fault here as they cannot accuse of Pakistan of Cheating if they havent themselves seen the incident, which i think they havent and have accused Pak of chesting only by seeing the ball condition which accorjding to them has been caused by ball tampering amounting to cheating.
But If they have seen the same then pakistan can cry as much as they want to.....
----
"It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien, "Three Is Company," The Lord of the Rings
21.08.2006 - 13:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Valar on 21.08.2006 at 12:28

^^Yeah i was watching that, i think the umpires are at fault here as they cannot accuse of Pakistan of Cheating if they havent themselves seen the incident, which i think they havent and have accused Pak of chesting only by seeing the ball condition which accorjding to them has been caused by ball tampering amounting to cheating.
But If they have seen the same then pakistan can cry as much as they want to.....

I saw the incident as well since our own match was rained off and we had to see cricket of course, so watched on Sky.

I totally agree with you that there was no proof of tampering the ball. FFS the ball was 55 overs old and was smacked around quite a bit by Pietersen. And there are quite a lot of ways of tampering a ball without actually tampering it (all within the laws of course) like throwing it to a fielder but throwing it via the square to rough it up.

And eventually Darryll Hair was just being an asshole by refusing to get back on the playing field when both the Pakistan team and the English batsmen were back on.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.08.2006 - 13:59
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
I didn't actually see the incident live (I was watching football) , but from what I've seen in replays I couldn't see any reason for the accusation.

Apparently Darrell Hair has had issues with Pakistan before.

It was a shame it all ended like that.
----
21.08.2006 - 14:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by hanna of steel on 21.08.2006 at 13:59

I didn't actually see the incident live (I was watching football) , but from what I've seen in replays I couldn't see any reason for the accusation.

Yes, it is a shame cause this was turning into a fun match. But apparently mr. Hair thought himself and his ego more important than the game of cricket at large. As for his issues with Pakistan before... think he has had issues with every test nation before. Remember him calling Murali for chucking? (well, in that case I agreed with him bnecause he was certain that Murali chucked and therefore no-balled him. When looking at Murali nowadays I do agree he still chucks it from time to time and hence should be no-balled. If I was still active umpiring I would do the exact same thin although I would noever make it to test level umpiring )
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.08.2006 - 17:05
Judas
The Amputator
Darrell Hair is a dickhead. I've disliked him ever since his incident with Murali and the rest of the SL team around 10 years ago, when he called Murali for chucking and then refused to listen to Ranatunga's complaint that the Australians were making racist comments, and now he goes and does this.

By the way, I agree that when Murali bowls his doosra it is in fact an illegal delivery, but otherwise his action is within the angles specified by the ICC.

Did you hear about Dean Jones being sacked from the commentary team because of his comments about Hashim Amla? Apparently when Amla took a catch, Deano decided it would be OK to make a comment along the lines of "oh and the terrorist has taken another one". Deano, Deano, Deano...
----
21.08.2006 - 17:28
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Written by Judas on 21.08.2006 at 17:05

Darrell Hair is a dickhead. I've disliked him ever since his incident with Murali and the rest of the SL team around 10 years ago, when he called Murali for chucking and then refused to listen to Ranatunga's complaint that the Australians were making racist comments, and now he goes and does this.

By the way, I agree that when Murali bowls his doosra it is in fact an illegal delivery, but otherwise his action is within the angles specified by the ICC.

Did you hear about Dean Jones being sacked from the commentary team because of his comments about Hashim Amla? Apparently when Amla took a catch, Deano decided it would be OK to make a comment along the lines of "oh and the terrorist has taken another one". Deano, Deano, Deano...

Yes , I had heard about Dean Jones - that wasn't really the right thing to say was it ?

Hopefully Darrell Hair won't be allowd to umpire when Pakistan are playing - I can't see how he could ever do it now because whatever his decisions Pakistan will not accept them.

I dread to think what will happen in the one day matches now .
----
21.08.2006 - 17:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Judas on 21.08.2006 at 17:05

Those angles used to be much less and were only changed after the tests with Murali in a LABORATORY. IMO testing someone in a lab isn't the same as in match conditions because Murali knew what was expected of him to make a legal delivery. IMO such things should ALWAYS be checked during a match and NOT in a lab.

As for Dean Jones, the less said the better, he has ALWAYS been a gigantic dickhead, also at the time when he was the best ODI batsman in the world.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.08.2006 - 17:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by hanna of steel on 21.08.2006 at 13:59

The weird thing I think is that Hair was allowed to stand in the england - pakistan matches at all, because although eh is Australian he has been living in England for more than 15 years already and in my book that makes him almost an englishman. Especially when you look at how long a sportsman has to live in a country to qualify playing for that country.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.08.2006 - 22:50
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
I never understood cricket,I mean I have never really had much of an interest to play,but more of an interest to understand that way in the news I know what they are talking about,anyone care to explain the basics of the game to me?
21.08.2006 - 22:55
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Written by [user id=823] on 21.08.2006 at 22:50

I never understood cricket,I mean I have never really had much of an interest to play,but more of an interest to understand that way in the news I know what they are talking about,anyone care to explain the basics of the game to me?

You could try this website:
http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/hosking/cricket/explanation.htm
----
22.10.2006 - 13:26
Judas
The Amputator
Thread resurrection!

You lot are all following the ICC Champions Trophy, I presume. What are your predictions for the teams going through? I'm tipping Australia, India, Sri Lanka and Pakistan to get through, but knowing the unpredictability of the latter three of those teams, anything is possible.
----
22.10.2006 - 13:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Judas on 22.10.2006 at 13:26

Thread resurrection!

You lot are all following the ICC Champions Trophy, I presume. What are your predictions for the teams going through? I'm tipping Australia, India, Sri Lanka and Pakistan to get through, but knowing the unpredictability of the latter three of those teams, anything is possible.

I think those four will go through as well, although West Indies might be a dark horse here, remember the previous Champions Trophy which they won and absolutely no-one tipped them back then.

Well, had a good day yesterday that Australia beat England and therefore england are the first team out of the trophy.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.10.2006 - 22:07
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
I also have a feeling that the West indies might do well.
But Australia always have the best chance of winning , they have the best players.

I said it before and I'll say it again - England suck at one day cricket
----
23.10.2006 - 07:38
Valar
IndianSteel
^^Arnet the english team focusing on Ashes a little too much, it looks like they arent concerned about any other thing??
----
23.10.2006 - 09:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Valar on 23.10.2006 at 07:38

^^Arnet the english team focusing on Ashes a little too much, it looks like they arent concerned about any other thing??

It seems like the english team aren't focusing on anything at the moment. Jusdt look at their recent test series as well. And btw test matches are a totally different thing than ODI as we all know. The english and also australian ODI squads are quite different to their repespective test squads, and IMO rightly so.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.10.2006 - 15:23
Valar
IndianSteel
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.10.2006 at 09:28

It seems like the english team aren't focusing on anything at the moment. Jusdt look at their recent test series as well. And btw test matches are a totally different thing than ODI as we all know. The english and also australian ODI squads are quite different to their repespective test squads, and IMO rightly so.

I think the english will find it very tough this time arnd to win the ashes....Aussies will be looking for revenge and many of there players will be playing the last ashes so they will be geared up.....

Neways back to Champions Trophy.....i dont think the west indies will be able to win the same...i tip the Indians to do the same.....(hoping)
----
24.10.2006 - 23:05
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Valar on 23.10.2006 at 15:23

I think the english will find it very tough this time arnd to win the ashes....Aussies will be looking for revenge and many of there players will be playing the last ashes so they will be geared up.....

Neways back to Champions Trophy.....i dont think the west indies will be able to win the same...i tip the Indians to do the same.....(hoping)

India always promise to do so much, and then they'll go and screw it up big time. 2003 World Cup final, anyone? Mind you, they usually do OK at home and on the smaller stage of the Champions Trophy. In any case, you know who I'll be going for man! India Jeetega, Jeetega Bhai Jeetega!

SL v SAf today was a weird game, that pitch looked pretty good, and yet they both scored poorly. Hats off to the South Africans though, even though I was supporting Sri Lanka, the Proteas bowled very nicely and utilised the slowing pitch well. It must also be said that SL batted like crap. It's made things very interesting, since that game has thrown that group wide open.
----
25.10.2006 - 15:55
Valar
IndianSteel
Written by Judas on 24.10.2006 at 23:05

Written by Valar on 23.10.2006 at 15:23

India always promise to do so much, and then they'll go and screw it up big time. 2003 World Cup final, anyone? Mind you, they usually do OK at home and on the smaller stage of the Champions Trophy. In any case, you know who I'll be going for man! India Jeetega, Jeetega Bhai Jeetega!

SL v SAf today was a weird game, that pitch looked pretty good, and yet they both scored poorly. Hats off to the South Africans though, even though I was supporting Sri Lanka, the Proteas bowled very nicely and utilised the slowing pitch well. It must also be said that SL batted like crap. It's made things very interesting, since that game has thrown that group wide open.

New Zealand have put up a match winning total in todays match, Pakistan will find it tough to chase 275.....
If Pakistan looses then SL are out of the Champions Trophy which will be a shock as they were the favs to win the Champions trophy.
----
25.10.2006 - 18:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
damn, damn, damn, both my trip to Australia for the Ashes and my trip to St. Nevis & Kitts during the World Cup are off due to work obligations. Now I'll have to settle for watching everything via Sky, damn, damn, damn.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.10.2006 - 20:29
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.10.2006 at 18:47

damn, damn, damn, both my trip to Australia for the Ashes and my trip to St. Nevis & Kitts during the World Cup are off due to work obligations. Now I'll have to settle for watching everything via Sky, damn, damn, damn.

Sorry to hear that - it's really bad that you have to miss both trips.
I'll be watching on Sky too.
----
25.10.2006 - 21:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
well, no-one expected this but New Zealand are through to the semi-finals and Sri lanka are out. New Zealand might well be the dark horse now. Somehow they are ALWAYS underrated as a one day side. Stephen Fleming is IMO one of the greatest one day captains ever to grace the cricket pitch. Today he captained his country for a record 194th time and in the meantime picking up the man-of-the-match award as well.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.10.2006 - 23:12
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.10.2006 at 21:41

well, no-one expected this but New Zealand are through to the semi-finals and Sri lanka are out. New Zealand might well be the dark horse now. Somehow they are ALWAYS underrated as a one day side. Stephen Fleming is IMO one of the greatest one day captains ever to grace the cricket pitch. Today he captained his country for a record 194th time and in the meantime picking up the man-of-the-match award as well.

Stephen Fleming is one of the most underrated cricketers around. He and the Black Caps have quietly gone about their business for years now, and received bugger all attention. Hats off to them for beating the Pakistanis, whom we all know are unpredictable as hell.

So, now SL and England are the first two casualties. Tomorrow, I pray that India will win, and I reckon they will simply because they're at home. The West Indies are formidable opponents on their day, but India are probably too strong for them, especially with a ridiculously fanatic crowd urging them on. India Zindabad!
----
26.10.2006 - 07:09
Valar
IndianSteel
^^Also Lara aint playing, he has some injury.....
India will win IMO too....our bowlers just need to do there job well, specially Irfan Pathan and Munaf Patel....
----
26.10.2006 - 20:00
Señor Three T
Account deleted
I told an American about the time my friend hit a clown in the face with a cricket bat. His response? "Cricket? Learn to play baseball, ya f**kin' Limey."

I guess cricket is just underappreciated accross the pond. As is slapstick humour.
28.10.2006 - 16:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Valar on 26.10.2006 at 07:09

^^Also Lara aint playing, he has some injury.....
India will win IMO too....our bowlers just need to do there job well, specially Irfan Pathan and Munaf Patel....

Well, Lara did play against England today, and England has a tough job ahead chasing 273 for a win.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.10.2006 - 16:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=3056] on 26.10.2006 at 20:00

I told an American about the time my friend hit a clown in the face with a cricket bat. His response? "Cricket? Learn to play baseball, ya f**kin' Limey."

I guess cricket is just underappreciated accross the pond. As is slapstick humour.

Ah well almost everythign is underappreciated across the pond. What those Yanks don't realize is that without cricket they won't have their poor man's version of it, called baseball. At least cricket it played by many more people around the world than baseball.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996