Metal Storm logo
Embarrassing mistakes on stage

Original post

Posted by Lord TJ, 28.05.2007 - 03:52
After playing two shows at church this morning, two embarrassing things happened. This gave me the idea of this thread. Name your embarrassing moments on stage live.

1.) I dropped my pick in the middle of a song and just played with my finger.

2.) In the middle of prayer me and the band got up on stage, well my Les Paul has this switch on it and I turned the knobs on one side to make the switch like an on/off toggle. Well it turned out I forgot to toggle it off. I picked up my guitar and loud noises came throught the auditoruim right in the middle of prayer! It was so embarrassing, the bassist almost died laughing. I dont blame him it was funny as hell!
07.02.2008 - 20:15
Lord TJ
Is there a source? Not saying I don't believe you I just never heard of hair getting so long it stops growing or falls out.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
07.02.2008 - 20:23
Pole Kitten
Account deleted
no idea! it's bound to be online somewhere though. i've mentinoed it to several hairdressers and they seem to agree with it and some have the same problem. it's why some people can grow hair forever and as long as they want while msot people it can grow pretty long but not indefinately.
12.02.2008 - 01:07
Shreddkillski
Account deleted
Forgetting to plug in to huge amps before playing?
13.02.2008 - 10:32
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
^^ yeh i once forgot to plug in at church when i was playing one time... lucky there was another guitar going

but im playing in a local battle of the bands in a month, and i hope i can come back here and not have to post
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
13.02.2008 - 19:33
Lord TJ
lol

Theres a band in my town called Lucifixion, and watching them practice during one song, the lead guitarist Andy snuck up behind Austin and unplugged his guitar, it was so funny. One time the bassist Larry was so paranoid he tucked his shoelaces inside his sock because in the past Andy untied his show laces during practicing a song.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

13.02.2008 - 22:31
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Remus on 13.01.2008 at 21:33

Written by [user id=27451] on 13.01.2008 at 11:43

the hair piece i was wearing fell off on stage. looked like a dead rat!

"A dead rat" wow that's funny, i can just picture that right now! Thanks for sharing. You haven't had any "wardrobe malfunctions" though, right?

Hahaha, one of my buddies had an intentional "Wardrobe malfunction". He was playing with a really shitty generic death metal band and he was obviously bored of the songs, so one night when he was on stage he went to go do a squeel with his guitar (like Zakk Wylde does, Im not sure what the technical term for it is, im not a guitarist), and to make it look fancy he flipped his guitar upwards, funny thing was he was wearing a kilt, and when he flipped up his guitar he grabbed the bottom of his kilt while holding the bottom of the guitar (resulting in him flipping up his kilt), so a hall full of people had the privilege of seeing all his bits & pieces, needless to say hes no longer in that band for reasons obvious. Oddly enough after he exposed himself to everyone he just kept playing without skipping a beat....er, note.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
15.02.2008 - 21:41
Lord TJ
Wow, that has got to be so terrible to be him at that time...

I hate how sometimes when your going to perform you forget a few things on a song. It happens to me quite often now, every Wedensday night I play in a band for church, and we only practice like 30 minutes before we do anything, so in that 30 minutes I have to make something up because I don't know how the song goes due to them not telling me what were doing, then I don't memorize the song names so then I have no idea what song were going to do first/next.
----

16.02.2008 - 19:13
Shreddkillski
Account deleted
I just remembered a pretty good story.

One day me and a few guys from school were playing a Manowar cover, Warriors of the World, to be assholes at this talent show. So we plug in to all of our gear, turn it on really loud infront of a huge auditorium of people, get smoke machines and lights going so that through the feedback, all you can see is smoke. Start playing the song perfectly right about until the very first note of the interlude type emotional part (If I should fall, in battle..) My guitarist played the most disgusting chord I have ever heard. I'm pretty sure he hit every note on the fretboard, but the ones he was sopposed to, which resulted in hysterical laughter into the microphone: very unprofessioanl. The rest of the "epic" emotional interelude consisted of quite a few arrangements of every note on the fretboard.. which, needless to say, killed our performance. I could not wait to get off that stage.

Nothing is worse than fucking up a quiet part.
16.03.2008 - 17:31
Harp918
Account deleted
Written by [user id=30177] on 16.02.2008 at 19:13

One day me and a few guys from school were playing a Manowar cover, Warriors of the World, to be assholes at this talent show. So we plug in to all of our gear, turn it on really loud infront of a huge auditorium of people, get smoke machines and lights going so that through the feedback, all you can see is smoke. Start playing the song perfectly right about until the very first note of the interlude type emotional part (If I should fall, in battle..) My guitarist played the most disgusting chord I have ever heard. I'm pretty sure he hit every note on the fretboard, but the ones he was sopposed to, which resulted in hysterical laughter into the microphone: very unprofessioanl. The rest of the "epic" emotional interelude consisted of quite a few arrangements of every note on the fretboard.. which, needless to say, killed our performance. I could not wait to get off that stage.

So I'm guessing you finished 2nd
18.03.2008 - 08:09
Harmonic
Account deleted

I'd say it's pretty hard to fuck up quiet. Just don't make any sound at all, and you've got it down.
18.03.2008 - 14:48
Hangar XVIII
i have a few.

-I dropped my pick, and I thought it'd be cool to pick it up and throw it into the crowd. It hit a schoolmate in the eye.

-My drummer convinced me to do a Neo-Classical style Silent Night instrumental on the Winter Solstice. This was the single biggest mistake in my entire life as a musician.
I
-My band invited middle school girls to the 'Volume 11 Tavern' for a gig. Needless to say, that isn't their target audience, or ours. It was still probably the biggest crowd they'd ever had other than for The Misfits.
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
My new black metal project.
22.03.2008 - 21:27
Vesperal
There was this singer in a death metal band, he looked drunk, and while headbanging and moving around he fell of the stage. The band kept playing of course

I never did real shows. The most embarasing I can think of is dropping my sticks while perfroming with my band in front of a aproximatively 20people audience.
25.03.2008 - 23:52
KMR
I had a few, but the worst was situation when i took a guitar with a broken plug, and half of songs had got some 'noise riffs', unfortunatelly there was no noise music fans.
----
Nothing is sacred.
27.03.2008 - 14:59
Hangar XVIII
'Noise riffs'

I can't point out any riffs in noise. It's just... Loud.
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
My new black metal project.
24.11.2008 - 22:40
Frankenchrist
Well, i was playing the crazy train solo, and just as i was gonna start playing the last tapping bit of the solo, my strap unlatched itself from the guitar.

that, was embarrassing.
----
Blat Blat
25.11.2008 - 19:34
Valentin B
Iconoclast

you should have played "Return of The Warlord" "time to burn, you losers better learn"
30.11.2008 - 22:33
Smurfophagist
Well, it's quite embarrassing to trip over your band mate's cable while playing, thus, accidentally unplugging it. But i guess it's more embarrassing to call the band, who performed before you did, a bunch of motherfuckers, into a microphone that you thought was unplugged.
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
07.01.2009 - 13:10
Geist
So far in my musical career i've had a few emberrassing moments. For one we were once playing this show & had 2 good looking females dancing on a stripper pole throughout our set & I popped a string on my guitar. Thankfully I had a buddy there who plays in a different band & hooked me up with his guitar. but it still sucked, that's actually the 2nd time ive popped a string live. A few years ago when my drummer & I played in a different band our then guitarist got so hammered he forgot the parts & I had to turn & show him the parts, while im doin that I just see a drum stick fly over my head & almost nail a chick in the face...
07.01.2009 - 14:58
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Nattefrost played in Italy and one of the members of Blasphemophagher got up on stage and started slapping him because the show wasn't insane enough.

That faggot from the shining cut himself too deep on stage and had to be taken away in an ambulance.

EDIT: ok, the Nattefrost one isn't a mistake. It's just funny. I'll try and find the picture of this. It's just Nattefrost on stage being harassed by a fat drunk.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
26.01.2009 - 14:02
gid
One time when I was playing keyboards, I was using quite an old, crappy Roland keyboard where the power connection was a little loose. During a gig one of the guitarists in front of me knocked his amp, which in turn knocked my power cable a little and managed to reset everything on the keyboard to the default tones/rhythms... unfortunately this meant that all of the sudden a polka beat started playing through the speakers. Not the best thing to happen when you're playing in a gothic doom metal band.
26.01.2009 - 16:43
Sunioj
Written by gid on 26.01.2009 at 14:02

One time when I was playing keyboards, I was using quite an old, crappy Roland keyboard where the power connection was a little loose. During a gig one of the guitarists in front of me knocked his amp, which in turn knocked my power cable a little and managed to reset everything on the keyboard to the default tones/rhythms... unfortunately this meant that all of the sudden a polka beat started playing through the speakers. Not the best thing to happen when you're playing in a gothic doom metal band.

LOL

I played a first gig for this band that I'm working on. The bass amp kept on going out every now and then which actually really irritated me. But good thing I wasn't alone as the band after me had the same problems.

Amateur sound technicians present is what it is.
27.01.2009 - 09:46
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by gid on 26.01.2009 at 14:02

heh, hilarious
28.01.2009 - 18:02
Frankenchrist
My strap was loose once, and i was in the middle of a solo, so i started going to the front of the stage, where the audience was, and the strap just gave up on me. the guitar fell off and hit some dude in the head.

so yeah, that kinda sucked. i mean, it ruined my solo.
----
Blat Blat
28.01.2009 - 19:49
gid
Written by Frankenchrist on 28.01.2009 at 18:02

My strap was loose once, and i was in the middle of a solo, so i started going to the front of the stage, where the audience was, and the strap just gave up on me. the guitar fell off and hit some dude in the head.

Which is why clip-lock straps are always a great investment
28.01.2009 - 19:58
Frankenchrist
Written by gid on 28.01.2009 at 19:49

Aye, i've come to realize that now;D
----
Blat Blat
28.01.2009 - 20:00
gid
Written by Frankenchrist on 28.01.2009 at 19:58

Hehe. Just be thankful the guitar hit some guy's head. If it had been the floor it'd have ruined the guitar.
28.01.2009 - 20:02
Frankenchrist
Written by gid on 28.01.2009 at 20:00

Written by Frankenchrist on 28.01.2009 at 19:58

Hehe. Just be thankful the guitar hit some guy's head. If it had been the floor it'd have ruined the guitar.

Yeah i would've been pretty pissed off then
----
Blat Blat
21.02.2009 - 21:22
Endoftherainbow
Getting my bass player so high off of Kush that he forgot how to play bass.
21.02.2009 - 23:05
Valentin B
Iconoclast

wtf i buy only the cheapest straps known to man(my current one costed less than the equivalent of 5 bucks), and they never ever give out on me.. are you using a really heavy guitar like a Gibson Les Paul or something?
22.02.2009 - 20:57
Frankenchrist
Written by Valentin B on 21.02.2009 at 23:05

wtf i buy only the cheapest straps known to man(my current one costed less than the equivalent of 5 bucks), and they never ever give out on me.. are you using a really heavy guitar like a Gibson Les Paul or something?

I was playing an Epiphone SG at the time, not a very heavy guitar. and i was using a "Planet Waves" strap. I think i payed like, 15 bucks for that thing, and it's pretty shitty. It looked tough but it always gives out.
----
Blat Blat