Metal Storm logo
Megadeth vs Metallica

Original post

Posted by -Valhalla-, 07.06.2006 - 03:18
Megadeth and Metallica have been trying to out do eachother for years. Dave Mustaine was an Ex-Metallica guitarist, and made Megadeth to show that he doesn't need metallica. Metallica the more popular of the two, cut thier hair, and sold out, touring with bands like Linkin Park, Limp Bizcuit. Meanwhile, Megadeth's still going strong. Who's better? Would you rather go to see live?

In my opinion Megadeth is the better of the two. Metallica is a bunch of fatheads who have sucked balls since Ride The Lightning. Megadeth still sounds great, and has the Gigantour going, while Metallica is busy filming their next documentary about, whiney disagreements, and how the band is falling apart.

Poll

Megadeth vs. Metallica

Megadeth
Metallica

Total votes: 971
22.07.2006 - 13:04
thedarkdream
Well, musicwise, I could never understand Megadeth even though I tried listening to them - but never managed to like more than Symphony of Destruction. But of Metallica, I like 3 or 4 songs from each album until Black Album, so the vote Definitely goes to Metallica. Megadeth doesnt even seem so heavy to me. And... Even the old metallica songs sound good played live now (though played with the new type of vocals and effects).
01.08.2006 - 16:36
Marcelo Hissa
Well countdown to exctintion and Youthanasia are very cool, but nothing compares to Kill´em all, Ride, Masters and even the black album
----
As the wind carried the deadly seed
to the minds of the doomed
they were gone for the stage of hell

01.08.2006 - 22:11
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
So...you haven't heard Rust in Peace or Peace Sells?
03.08.2006 - 00:25
Thrash666
Metallica rules over Megadeth.
I love both bands but Megadeth was always under Metallica. Peace Sells and Rust and Peace are amazing albums but they arent Lighting or Puppets.
Megadeth is a huge thrash band
But they arent as big as Metallica
----
LONG LIVE THASH!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. "Dimebag" Darrell Abott
Drink a "blacktooth" for Dimebag
03.08.2006 - 00:33
Grind_Bastard
Account deleted
This is not hard at all. Metallica !!!

Why ?

Just because they are way better and more interesting than Megadeth. They sound better, they have better lyrics, they have Kirk Hammet and probably because they have everithing, from ballads ( Fade to Black, One ) to heavy songs ( Seek and Destroy, Harvester Of Sorow, Leper Messiah, Disposable Heroes ) and hast songs like ( my favorite ) WHIPLASH.

They have everything, its just that they f**ked things up with the newer albums.
03.08.2006 - 00:37
Grind_Bastard
Account deleted
Ah and btw, u are right about Metallica when u said this : , while Metallica is busy filming their next documentary about, whiney disagreements, and how the band is falling apart.
03.08.2006 - 00:37
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Kirk Hammett is overrated. He hasn't done any solos as good as stuff by Megadeth.
03.08.2006 - 00:39
Grind_Bastard
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 03.08.2006 at 00:37

Kirk Hammett is overrated. He hasn't done any solos as good as stuff by Megadeth.

Why overrated ? U heard someone say it and now u say it too ? Have u even dared to listen to the first album ? Those are solos. They are sucky now but they were great back then.
03.08.2006 - 00:42
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I have almost all their albums. Dave Mustaine wrote most of the solos on the first Metallica album!
03.08.2006 - 00:46
Grind_Bastard
Account deleted
But he sucked at doing them. He wrote them but Kirk is the master. Just so...
03.08.2006 - 08:41
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
He sucked at doing them? WTF? uhh...whatever man. I'd like to see Kirk create riffs that not only are amazing and original, but make the lead and rhythm guitars harmonize perfectly together and still be able to make songs progress multiple times, such as they do in Hangar 18, Wake Up Dead, Good Morning/Black Friday, Holy Wars, etc...

I'm not saying Kirk is a bad guitarist at all. I like some of his stuff, but I don't understand why he gets worshipped the way he does.
04.08.2006 - 09:10
Beer Fairy
Hey Valhalla, I voted for Metallica.I'm sure that there always will be such a dispute which one is better. But in the world there are enough fans for Metallica and for Megadeth, so don't offence when someone tell you that Metallica is better one.Ok?:banger:
12.08.2006 - 03:52
simonfelce
Account deleted
Metallica has always been better and bigger!!! dave mustaine is still hurt that he was kicked out of metallica, that says it all.
13.08.2006 - 01:16
DIE_by_my_HAND

I agree with you completely.
The reason I voted for Megadeth is because they can still write actual music unlike Metallica who hasn't wrote anything half decent in 15+ years, whereas Megadeth came out with The System Has Failed which is an amazing album, wickedly heavy and came out with a couple good albums in the 90s (Countdown, and Youthanasia). Megadeth has the Gigantour, which shows signs of life in the band, and what has Metallica done lately?? shit all that's what. I also think MEgadeth's music is more origional as well.
If you would've asked me this two years ago, I would've said Metallica simply because I heard of them first, which I think is the case w/ most people, and then they have some kind of manditory grudge against Megadeth...
The only thing I don't like about Megadeth is the fact that they started going soft after Metallica did... Mustaine didn't want to be outdone by his former band so he tried to copy them to try and get on MTV and achieve mainstream success. Don't get me wrong, he did do a better job of it, but I don't like the fact the Megadeth did not follow the direction of Rust in Peace wchich is their fastset and heaviest album to date. Just think of the great albums we'd have from them if Megadeth kept going on their own pace..
----
And music: well it's just entertainment folks!!
-Devin Townsend
13.08.2006 - 03:32
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Well, even though technically as musicians Metalica is better, I still got to give it to MegaDeth, And here's Why.

Both bands started out as groups of very talented and passionate musicians in the sanfransisco bay area, Metallica in 81', MegaDeth in 83', But the Metalica group worked as a team, MegaDeth was pretty much all driven By the angry and often unstable ambitions of an ousted Mustain. They both went on to release Cataclysmic records Like "Ride the lightning" and "So far...so good...So What!!" And as the popularity of one rose, so did the other, as it was a constant competition and personal vendetta for Mustain. Then one day, Cliff Burton, Metalicas Bassist, was sadly Killed in a Bus accident, and in the fires for the passion of their fallen friend, they released the Album, "and Justice for all", the title refers to the cruelty and unfairness of life, that it was not fair that Cliff had passed away. Not only was this a genius and inspired work though, unfortunatly it was also Metalicas first step down the path to ruin, for you see, the song "one" launched them into an ungodly amount of commercial success, Now that doesn't mean they had yet sold out, but the money had gotten to their heads, and earned the nickname Alchaholica. But The black album, an even larger Sucess than "And Justice for all", is when their sound really took a drastic Change, And even though I still don't believe that this album is where they fell from grace, it is widely believed by many that it is. They then Went on to cut their hair, play Poppier music, and just outright sellout, SHAMELESSLY!!! Load was a load of shit, Reload was a reload of shit, Saint anger?!?!, What the fuck was that!?!?!?!
Metalica is also widely overated since the release of the Black Album, You see kids everywhere with "Ride the Lightning" and "Kill em All" shirts and hoodies, when you know they never even heard the Danm albums, so you know it's hard to tell a true metalica fan from a poser.

MegaDeth on the other hand, while an international success, is still by no means overated, I feel they are if anything Underated. When you see a MegaDeth fan, you know it, nobody says "oh, I listen to MegaDeth, I thought Countdown to Extinction was Awsome!" and not mean it. MegaDeth has been true to their fan base and never truly sold out, Their subject matter is also considerably more political and spiritual than Metalica's, and if I had a choice to hang with either Band, I'd choose MegaDeth, simply because they've always played good music and never sold out, they preserved their art for what it was, good music to influence countless generations.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
14.08.2006 - 00:56
LiveWise
Account deleted
My choice is Metallica
There's no doubt.
They're just way better
James 's voice is awsome
And i love kirk solos
I never really liked Megadeath ...They're just booring to me.
And Load and St. Anger are not bad at all. They are diffretnt from the previouse ones but they're goon in they're own way.
So Mettallica wins this one without a doubt
Love them.
16.08.2006 - 14:24
Hamird
Lieutenant
early metallica (87 - 91) was better than megadeth ... but now it's diffrent
18.08.2006 - 13:46
viimaneraud
Account deleted
i think Megadeth have only one good song(Symphony of Destruction)
but Metallica sound better,have better lyrics..Metallica is just better.
23.08.2006 - 11:26
VicRattlehead1
Account deleted
what the f..k ..... the answer is easy, and its Megadeth.... i really really appreciate Metallica for their .. first 3 album... worshipped them as god, i wasnt even born when they were like the metal gods.. i have to say its mustaine that helped in forming metallica as well, and even he was fired, yeah. metallica was better.... but days for metallica over!!!! i will say... billion times.. over.. since Cliff Burton died..
while yeah.. mustaine.. he is one.. man vs.. 3 metallica guys . and still one person who was not appreciated, hated, stand on his own, formed a band, and actually really made a music... yeah.megadeth always almost following the same track as metallica did.. with releasing pop. metal albums. but well mustaine himself.. made an improvement from criticism... and sstlll making a good music.. like metal. not like rock. or pop . or anything like metallica guys now does..
Plus yeah.. metallica kill em all, ride the lightning, and master of puppets are the legendary metal album of all time.. .. they have an honour and respect for those music and that is the reason why they are alive still ... otherwise..forget it..
megadeth has. peace sells and rust in peace.. especially RIP.. is a perfect thrash metal .. one of the best thrash metal record of all time..

so ... its megadeth.. who is strong. enough... metallica was .. metal gods. and i worshipped them before. but not anymore..
Mustaine rules.. megadeth rules!!! \m/
24.08.2006 - 15:18
TimmyPix
Metallica peaked about Ride The Lightning/Master Of Puppets - then it just went downhill, whereas Megadeth have loads of brilliant albums, and still make them. Instead of trying to change their sound to stay with the kids, Megadeth have kept their own sound, and are all the better for it. Rust In Peace, Peace Sells, and most recently The System Has Failed (a return to form!) are brilliant.
----
And remember kids, don't play with matches - flamethrowers are much more fun!
28.08.2006 - 08:53
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Written by [user id=1283] on 03.08.2006 at 00:39

Why overrated ? U heard someone say it and now u say it too ? Have u even dared to listen to the first album ? Those are solos. They are sucky now but they were great back then.

*sits backs in seat and ordered some chips and softdrink , its so cool to sitdown and watch a fight*

What i saw in last few years in most of the metal forums :

^^ Metallica vs Megadeth is the most OVER-FKING-RATED thread ever .. the thread with highest post ( when comparing to other this vs that band thread ) and with highest views ( since people fight .. oh X is god .. you shut up A is genius ).

^^ Most of the n00bs ( i used the word most so dont mind hardcore metallica lovers ) go with Metallica , and those who are bored of metallica like me and few more elite people ..will say that Megadeth owns Metallica , becoz Metallica is a comod these days .. Megadeth is atleast playin melo thrash stuff.

^^ I fking hate arguing who is god and who is not , its all about personal opinion. We guys are from different place and hence different opinions .. so just cant satisfy each other If a band is great the music will speak , we dont have to argu that who is better

Whole lotts spamming ... now i will stop .. so Megadeth for me , becoz i cant forgive Metallica for Saint Anger , no matter that Metallica's first 4 album will be remember in metal history for next 300 years.
30.08.2006 - 14:50
Drizzling Blur
Account deleted
^ You cant forgive Metallica for Saint Anger and i cannot forgive Megadeth for The System has failed, i read a member say that System has FAILED has some brilliant heavy songs ? Wonder which ? all i liked was Kick the chair and between mice and men.

Metallica all the way, so what if they didnt write any decent material ? does it mean they never did ? Does it mean And Justice for all is invisible ?

Secondly, the live shows is where absolute Metallica comes to power, Dave's vocals are so screwed up u cant even see the video, wonder how it'll be for a guy seeing them live, ( see Tornado of Souls live, any live video ) his voice is so fucked up. Metallica on the other hand is dynamite, waiting to explode people outta their senses.

People who have seen both of them live can surely comment more on this aspect.
30.08.2006 - 15:04
Mariela.
Account deleted
I don't know why, but i've always liked megadeth more than metallica..but metallica's got many good songs too! But as megadeth's closer too my heart, I'll have to vote for them!
31.08.2006 - 08:00
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Written by [user id=7006] on 30.08.2006 at 14:50

^ You cant forgive Metallica for Saint Anger and i cannot forgive Megadeth for The System has failed, i read a member say that System has FAILED has some brilliant heavy songs ? Wonder which ? all i liked was Kick the chair and between mice and men.

Metallica all the way, so what if they didnt write any decent material ? does it mean they never did ? Does it mean And Justice for all is invisible ?

Secondly, the live shows is where absolute Metallica comes to power, Dave's vocals are so screwed up u cant even see the video, wonder how it'll be for a guy seeing them live, ( see Tornado of Souls live, any live video ) his voice is so fucked up. Metallica on the other hand is dynamite, waiting to explode people outta their senses.

People who have seen both of them live can surely comment more on this aspect.

LAME

31.08.2006 - 11:02
Throne of Rats
Personally I think that Megadeath musicaly arent up to Metallicas standards. Refering to the music from Kill em' All to the Black album. The rest of Metallicas stuff doesnt tickle my fancy. My favorite albums by both bands are:
Kill em' All, And Justice For All, Master of Puppets and Megadeath's Greatest hits...If you call that an album.
----
Burning Crosses, Invoke the Powers, Rape the Crown, Hell Awaits!!
03.09.2006 - 16:34
Metallica_rules
Account deleted
Man I dont know how you can't love Metallica...I know I am just 14 and I listen to them for about an year but...man...I have to admit that the early albums are better but load isn't a load of shit and reload is better vthan load....and what a about s&m????? that a great concert ... i s sounds awsome wits the symphony and from st.anger I like frantic and st.anger and some kind of monster a lot. Of course they aren't better than Fade to Black, One or Master, Battery, Blackened etc.
What can I say about Megadeth...yes they are a purea metal band bla bla but wtf? do they have songs like fade to black? no ...and I think the best song is sweating bullets...I haven't listened very much but...this would be the one...along with symphony of destruction, hanger 18...
Anyway the point is Metallica is much more complex, the lyrics are better, jaymz' vocals are certainly the best ever, lars kick ass, kirk is better than dave....and clif RIP
04.09.2006 - 19:10
Valar
IndianSteel
Written by [user id=16120] on 03.09.2006 at 16:34

Man I dont know how you can't love Metallica...I know I am just 14 and I listen to them for about an year but...man...I have to admit that the early albums are better but load isn't a load of shit and reload is better vthan load....and what a about s&m????? that a great concert ... i s sounds awsome wits the symphony and from st.anger I like frantic and st.anger and some kind of monster a lot. Of course they aren't better than Fade to Black, One or Master, Battery, Blackened etc.
What can I say about Megadeth...yes they are a purea metal band bla bla but wtf? do they have songs like fade to black? no ...and I think the best song is sweating bullets...I haven't listened very much but...this would be the one...along with symphony of destruction, hanger 18...
Anyway the point is Metallica is much more complex, the lyrics are better, jaymz' vocals are certainly the best ever, lars kick ass, kirk is better than dave....and clif RIP

Dude, One piece of advice, just try listening to other bands with an open mind rather than goin ga ga over Metallica all the time.
Glad To Know You Are Only 14 otherwise i would have thought you are a Poser or mentally blind.
Neways No Offence Pal!!
----
"It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien, "Three Is Company," The Lord of the Rings
27.09.2006 - 22:47
IrOnRoSeS
Account deleted
Megadeth i will give mi opinion about this.

First, I don't get those who say metallica is musicwise better...wtf?!?!?! Megadeth riffs are much more elaborated...listen to lucretia for example. it's much more technical than any metallica song...
Another thing i don't understand ....everybody is comparing kirk (which i think,as someone said, is waaaay too overrated, is not that great guitar player) with dave...Ok,Dave does some solos...but i think he's much more the rhythm of megadeth....so it would be Dave vs. James, not Kirk...Which i see more or less as a draw...but well, i like a little more the complex riffing of Mustaine.
About lead guitars i think Marty Friedman is way better thaaaaan Kirk...he has much more style...and i think no one can say i'm saying bullshit, you can prefer kirk but Friedman is much more as a musician...he has done a lot of wonderful solos in megadeth...and also pursued a great solo career...i would say he's much more openminded...but i like kirk solo's too...but well..just a matter of taste, isn't it?
Obviously, i am comparing the golden years of both bands....i mean...rust in peace for megadeth and master of puppets for metallica but i really enjoy both bands, they have released wonderful albums of real thrash

sorry for my shitty english
28.09.2006 - 03:14
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by [user id=304] on 27.09.2006 at 22:47

Megadeth i will give mi opinion about this.

First, I don't get those who say metallica is musicwise better...wtf?!?!?! Megadeth riffs are much more elaborated...listen to lucretia for example. it's much more technical than any metallica song...
Another thing i don't understand ....everybody is comparing kirk (which i think,as someone said, is waaaay too overrated, is not that great guitar player) with dave...Ok,Dave does some solos...but i think he's much more the rhythm of megadeth....so it would be Dave vs. James, not Kirk...Which i see more or less as a draw...but well, i like a little more the complex riffing of Mustaine.
About lead guitars i think Marty Friedman is way better thaaaaan Kirk...he has much more style...and i think no one can say i'm saying bullshit, you can prefer kirk but Friedman is much more as a musician...he has done a lot of wonderful solos in megadeth...and also pursued a great solo career...i would say he's much more openminded...but i like kirk solo's too...but well..just a matter of taste, isn't it?
Obviously, i am comparing the golden years of both bands....i mean...rust in peace for megadeth and master of puppets for metallica but i really enjoy both bands, they have released wonderful albums of real thrash

My thoughts EXACTLY.

Oh, and I was the one who said Kirk is overrated
28.09.2006 - 06:15
IrOnRoSeS
Account deleted

Thanxs for supporting my opinion man...Megadeth Rules
Anyway, both bands kick serious ass