Metal Storm logo
New Album Recommendations 2017

Original post

Posted by 3rdWorld, 29.11.2016 - 06:23
You know the drill, recommend me good metal stuff from 2017. Remember this is not a playlist or promotion place, it should be stuff you have HEARD ATLEAST ONCE which means it is not just stuff YOU think is good but something that OTHERS should find good and enjoy as well.

Death metal from Portugal. Sounds more closely to Disma than anything else to my ears. Quite melodic and groovy. It's hard to judge anything from a single but yeah this seems like something that is worth keeping an eye on.

The Ominous Circle - Appalling Ascension

06.01.2017 - 22:12
m.Kekchoz
Written by [user id=4365] on 04.01.2017 at 22:47

Wickedly meaty, groovy and heavy death thrash from Brazil. Breakdown-heavy so has a pretty big metalcore vibe too but in a way that works well I found. The drumming really flows well so it's quite satisfying. Weirdly it reminds me of a super-heavy version of Slipknot at times minus the rap and DJ stuff. Something about the guitar grooves and drums. I really like this a lot.

Wow yeah ! Love it ! Thanks !!
06.01.2017 - 22:59
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by m.Kekchoz on 06.01.2017 at 22:12

Wow yeah ! Love it ! Thanks !!

06.01.2017 - 23:00
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Potentially very good upcoming stoner sludge with pretty art.

Alternative stoner / doom metal. Love this vocal style.

07.01.2017 - 02:22
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Look who's recing stoner stuff!

Tasty artwork indeed those two.
07.01.2017 - 02:26
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
One's more of a sludge one, the other more alternative / hard rock really

I'm surprised you haven't recommended this yet. Has been near the top selling in the metal bandcamp section for a few days now.

07.01.2017 - 03:37
Iceland_Norway
My album for 2016 is Sowulo - SOL
----
Føroyar mítt land

Tú alfagra land mítt

Føroyar mín Móðir
07.01.2017 - 09:17
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Ya I've seen that Toke album on YT from sometime back. Didn't check it out yet though.

Lets get on with it then. WIndswept is a new Ukranian one man black metal from the guitarist Roman of Drudkh. They play the standard fair bm but its quite decent. Also it is on SOM so maybe should count for something.

[url]Windswept - The Great Cold Steppe[/url]

07.01.2017 - 12:38
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
All I could hear in that Windswept song was the thump thump thump thump thump thump of that drum. So annoying. Like the rest of the music was mixed but they forgot about the drums so they just dumped it on top of everything.

Upcoming drone doom from Twinesuns. Only a teaser so far but if their previous stuff is anything to go by it's going to be great, and heavy.

07.01.2017 - 13:43
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
I just don't get why Saenko disbanded Hate Forest which was probably his most promising project and made another random 2nd wave band instead...
His voice is still characteristic but the instrumental of that Windswept doesn't do much for me
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
07.01.2017 - 16:32
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Polish blackened death. It's not quite my brand but I can see Behemoth fans really digging it.

07.01.2017 - 17:24
3rdWorld
China was a neat
^That looks like a Denis Kostromitin artwork. Also one shouldn't expect any better from a side project of Drudkh.

Swedish grind with Half life inspired title. Not sure if the influence extends any further. Just one track streaming now. Liking the cover a lot really.

Resonance Cascade/Järnbörd - Järnbörd Split

08.01.2017 - 00:06
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Pretty awesome sounding, often quite frantic modern black metal. Similar in some ways to DsO but they seem to use much more standard black metal riffing than DsO do as well as employing more melodies. As good as the artwork thankfully. Shame it's so short. Go Russia though, very nice.

Very nice sounding post metal. Heavy, abrasive at times even but your usual post-atmosphere still in place.

Huge sounding death doom. Great thick and dense sound and also very hard hitting, as well as atmospheric.

Super dissonant, one-man band black metal, more or less in the DsO variety of things. Pretty good though for sure.

I think the vocals could so with some work but it's nice to hear some tech death with gritty, organic production for once. Makes it so much more like it was made by a band, and not a computer.

Pelican guitarist has a new album coming out on the Flenser record label, apparently over a decade in the making. From this track I surmise some kind of ambient drone or some such, but hard to say.

Star Wars themed instrumental stoner sludge.

There's also a new Panopticon one-off single. I don't think it's especially interesting but it's pretty good for a single I guess.

08.01.2017 - 16:58
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Pretty badass sounding extreme prog. Only one song but it goes through a number of styles and does it all very well and cohesively. Nice to have ballsy prog. Great art too, obviously.

Awesomely beastly drone doom / super sludge with some stoner elements. Heavy and acerbic but also wickedly atmospheric, cosmic and psychedelic, and nice use of percussion. Finding drone doom this high quality is a rarity so nice to find it so early in the year.

And here's another ultra heavy sludge record with psyche and stoner elements. Quite different from Bonefinder stuff but damn good, almost Burning Witch-like, especially with the vocals.

Modern, somewhat dissonant black metal. Sounds pretty damn good to be honest (and not like DsO thank heavens). Nice sound, will be looking forward to the whole thing.

Damn, I'm good
08.01.2017 - 23:07
mz
Written by [user id=4365] on 08.01.2017 at 00:06

Veter Daemonaz - Триvмф \ Trivmph

this is very good.
As much as I love modern sounding dissonant black metal, it is shame that we dont have more bands offering a melodic take on this type of music, combining non cheesy melodies with wall nice, non lo-fi productions and wall of sound.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
09.01.2017 - 14:19
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
I just can't resist atmospheric bm when it is this bassy.

Ulg - Windark
----
- Reimu Hakurei
09.01.2017 - 17:32
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 08.01.2017 at 23:07

this is very good.
As much as I love modern sounding dissonant black metal, it is shame that we dont have more bands offering a melodic take on this type of music, combining non cheesy melodies with wall nice, non lo-fi productions and wall of sound.

Yeah I know what you mean. Melody is a bit of an underused element with a lot of modern bands.

New OSDM EP from UK's Vacivus. Jolly good stuff.

That great sounding Turia band who released a song that really intrigued me not so long ago have released another track. Quite a bit more melodic this one.

10.01.2017 - 16:39
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Some post black/blackened hardcore with a misleadingly bad hipster cover, but the sound is good

Molok - Alt Skal Nok Ga
----
- Reimu Hakurei
10.01.2017 - 22:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Band with my currently fave artwork this year has finally released their album. Good guys; released the whole album up on Youtube. Wicked and big sounding instrumental prog / avant-garde metal.

Bassy, psychedelic rock / stoner metal hybrid. Expect a wacky as fvck trip.

Super heavy and cold sounding blackened post-metal. Gotta love that artwork.

Very cool sounding instrumental prog metal. Quite heavy, often dynamic and atmospheric and generally quite distinctive and engaging.

Soaring melodic, modern alt / prog with almost power metally vocals. This kind of thing always goes two very opposite ways for me but this actually really works to my tastes, to an almost shameful degree.

Fucking wicked sounding old school death metal with a Carbonized / Morbus Chron feel to it (as they even say in their description). Good audible bass too. This is going to be great. I love that artwork more than is reasonable too, maybe even more than the Glass Mind one.

11.01.2017 - 11:29
Fiendfyre
AUTHOR - Lopun Alku

First full length from Author, already getting some decent support slots with bands like Destroyer 666. Really good slice of black metal. This video below is band sanctioned as can be evidenced on their Facebook page if required.

11.01.2017 - 18:05
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
New Nightbringer track sounds rather promising.

12.01.2017 - 08:05
3rdWorld
China was a neat
"Boundless/Mournful/Soundscapes"

Tideless - Eclipsed Blood Horizon

12.01.2017 - 11:16
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Already posted Vacivus O=]

Dissonant, gritty yet oddly psychedelic drone doom. Quite a difficult and oppressive listen I'd say due to the atonal guitars.

12.01.2017 - 11:24
mz
Fun cover, too.
----
12.01.2017 - 11:24
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 12.01.2017 at 11:24

Fun cover, too.

Can't tell what it is. A squashed rat I think =P
12.01.2017 - 15:01
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Shaarimoth - Temple of the Adversarial Fire

12.01.2017 - 17:10
mz
Just came to post this ^
----
12.01.2017 - 17:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
That album leaked a week or so ago. It's.... all right.
12.01.2017 - 22:30
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Written by [user id=4365] on 12.01.2017 at 17:22

That album leaked a week or so ago. It's.... all right.

You gotta stop lying to us. It's not cool
13.01.2017 - 05:19
3rdWorld
China was a neat
13.01.2017 - 13:47
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Some quite accurate AFoS worship. The vocalist sounds just like the same. (might as well actually be the same, didn't check =p)

Ashenspire - Speak Not of the Laudanum Quandary
----
- Reimu Hakurei