Metal Storm logo
Favourite Metal Subgenre

Original post

Posted by Daru Jericho, 17.05.2006 - 23:37
So what's your favourite metal subgenre? Mine is progressive metal; love it's creativity and with lengthy songs it gives the artists enough time to produce a lot of diversity within a track. Most of the time the musicians are highly skilled as well as being able to combine emotion into their music. Additionally, I find that this genre of music can be very experimental at times.

Btw, if your favourite genre is not on the poll it's because I didn't have enough space to put it on. So click other and say what your favourite genre is.

Poll

What is yoir favourite metal subgenre?

Death Metal
Black Metal
Thrash Metal
Power Metal
Other (please specify)
Progressive Metal
Folk/Viking Metal
Heavy Metal
Gothic Metal

Total votes: 535
29.08.2007 - 02:32
Chaosgoat
Black, Extreme Power, and Symphonic Metal just about tie. black is my favorite, so i voted it, but it could change at any time.
29.08.2007 - 16:22
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Power metal or Progressive metal? I think I'll never be able to decide =/

Power Metal has been my fav subgenre for many years, and truely enjoy it. But I have also been listening to a lot of prog bands in the past 2 years!!! So I belive I really cant decide yet =/
----
29.08.2007 - 16:41
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Not sure if I posted here already and I'm too lazy to look back...

Doesn't take a genius to figure out what my most favorite metal sub genre is (it's prog!)
31.08.2007 - 17:22
Dekadance
Account deleted
I'd have to say Industrial Metal, Folk Metal or Gothic Metal....cant pick which is better (for me at least)...I do Make exceptions for some bands though
31.08.2007 - 18:28
Inlé
Thrash metal here!

Other than crossover thrash (for some reason I just cannot get into it) it's easily my favourite metal subgenre. The general sound and style of it is awesome and brings much pleasure to these eardrums, haha, there is a lot of range lyrically (from goofy and pretty much "immature" to being almost poetic and highly political in places) and I find that each band has it's own definite style (In most cases), indeed, I haven't heard many crits about thrash "all sounding the same", because it's probably the best genre for not doing so (IMO of course), and it's interesting how styles are markedly different regionally and internationally... Hell, even the old school vibe itself has it's own greatness about it!

Power metal would be second. Although it's not as varied as thrash (IMO) it's fun, uplifting and yes, epic! Not fond on the stuff with relationship/love focus though... I.e Sonata :/
03.09.2007 - 00:55
Ellie
Account deleted
Thrash! I used to be so into prog. metal but then I found something called prog. thrash and then I found true thrash. It's become something I love. I feel like I can really relate to it.
26.02.2008 - 17:51
NOИ
Black Metal offcourse. full of clichés and stupidity, fake attitudes and many more, but we all love this genre and corpse paint!
27.02.2008 - 01:53
ß
Problem?
Hm this is hard but I will go with Black Metal because iv'e listened to lots of death metal and its starting to get boring now. Im still getting into black metal
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
27.02.2008 - 03:00
Sepulchre
Lord Hypnos
Extreme Power Metal for me (I voted other). I can't get enought of Kalmah, Children Of Bodom, Norther, Wintersun, etc....
29.02.2008 - 01:57
Dark Blood
The Avenger
I voted Progressive. Although it's equal to Power (Symphonic, Extreme, etc.)
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
29.02.2008 - 07:24
selken
Irreligious
I'm still liking all metal subgenres (even Nu and alternative) but I'm developing a very strong taste for the extreme melodic metal (melodic black, melodeath, melothrash).
----
29.02.2008 - 14:52
Warman
Erotic Stains
Sure, Black Metal will probably always be a genre I'll constantly listen to. But New Wave of Brittish Heavy Metal got me into Metal so I guess in one way it's my favourite genre. Also currently a big fan of the mixes Death/Doom and Gothic/Doom.
----
04.03.2008 - 22:03
Ascalon
I like Power Metal, the most but Progressive it's amazing in all kinds, Progressive Power, Progressive Death .... so my vote went to power but progressive subgenres are amazing
----
"Follow your steps and you'll find, the unknown ways are on your mind" (Angra)
05.03.2008 - 08:55
Number Juan
Traditional Heavy Metal and Power Metal, though I like a little bit of everything.
----
A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. - Bertrand Russell
05.03.2008 - 09:31
Øyvind
Grave Digger
Voted other, industrial, but that doesn't mean that I don't like other genres, such as black, gothic, power, viking, I like those as well, but they are still not my favourites...yet.
----
05.03.2008 - 09:37
doomina
Account deleted
i voted for other. i'm into doom, stoner and sludge.
05.03.2008 - 10:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=29088] on 05.03.2008 at 09:37

Good man werry good but doom never will win alsos toner and sludge
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
05.03.2008 - 11:03
doomina
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 05.03.2008 at 10:11

Written by [user id=29088] on 05.03.2008 at 09:37

... but doom never will win also stoner and sludge

i know man ... i know
05.03.2008 - 11:05
Opium
Account deleted
Written by [user id=7229] on 29.05.2006 at 00:49

Death Metal rapes all. About 98% of my cd's are death metal albums ranging from Melodic (In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Amon Amarth) to Brutal (Nile, Behemoth, Vader, Morbid Angel). The other two percent is Children of Bodom, Finntroll, Sinergy.

I lol'd at this. Since when are Behemoth, Vader and Morbid Angel Brutal DM bands?

I also regret not picking Thrash, quite a mistake there Ah well, methinks I voted DM, which would be my second fave subgenre now.
06.03.2008 - 16:01
Hangar XVIII
Other. NWOBHM.
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
My new black metal project.
07.03.2008 - 19:22
Arrwyn
Hmm, definitely the folk/viking metal genre. The genre always has a fun, uplifting experience; not to mention it's very unique.
07.03.2008 - 20:46
Demonmayonnaise
I voted for Thrash. I love the older Heavy Metal stuff like Sabbath and Judas Priest. But thrash metal is my favorite without a doubt
07.03.2008 - 23:08
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Gotta give some love to the folk/viking metal subgenre... I love the variety of instruments commonly used and the themes are very inspiring. Sometimes it feels like I'm taking a journey back in time, or at least that's what I like to imagine...
11.03.2008 - 15:35
ABUSOR
Account deleted
DEATH METAL DESECRATES ALL
04.04.2008 - 08:24
Anarchist
I voted for death metal despite it's flaws I just can't get enough of it. Black and thrash, are close behind.
05.04.2008 - 04:55
Colony
Account deleted
Folk for sure
05.04.2008 - 17:12
eximius
Written by Hangar XVIII on 06.03.2008 at 16:01

Other. NWOBHM.

that's still Heavy Metal ...
I think we should have had the right for more choices . I settled for Viking/Folk Metal
05.04.2008 - 18:08
Nox Lux
codebreaker
I selected Other, because I'm quite fond of avant-garde. Although I don't have as much knowledge of it as I would like.
----
][{ ]|/ ][_ "][" -- ][3) ][_ /=|[ [( ][{ -- ][][][ |E[ "][" ]|= ][_

"Thoughts fall in season with the right stand, rake the land
This Autumn's early leafshed a recompense for Summer's wane."
~ Nox Lux
10.04.2008 - 22:53
DevilishSong
I preffer Progressiv Death Metal But ..
my Choice is Death
12.04.2008 - 13:37
Nazgal
Account deleted
Black Metal is my main genre, but recently I have been listening to a lot of other subgenre's, especially Sludge Metal. I've been addicted to Sludge since the first minute I heard it. I'm pretty open to most of the genre's and I like most of them. The only two subgenre's I don't really like are Heavy Metal itself, and Gothic Metal.