Metal Storm logo
Megadeth vs Metallica

Original post

Posted by -Valhalla-, 07.06.2006 - 03:18
Megadeth and Metallica have been trying to out do eachother for years. Dave Mustaine was an Ex-Metallica guitarist, and made Megadeth to show that he doesn't need metallica. Metallica the more popular of the two, cut thier hair, and sold out, touring with bands like Linkin Park, Limp Bizcuit. Meanwhile, Megadeth's still going strong. Who's better? Would you rather go to see live?

In my opinion Megadeth is the better of the two. Metallica is a bunch of fatheads who have sucked balls since Ride The Lightning. Megadeth still sounds great, and has the Gigantour going, while Metallica is busy filming their next documentary about, whiney disagreements, and how the band is falling apart.

Poll

Megadeth vs. Metallica

Megadeth
Metallica

Total votes: 971
29.05.2007 - 23:57
Carrion
Account deleted
@ R@tt!eH3d: So Lars is a dick, huh? Well if that's so, then Mustaine is too. Ellefson had been treaten as bad as Newsted IMO, and the recent interview of Mustaine that I read.. The guy keeps whining and whining about Metallica and in the mean time says that after Megadeth there hasn't really been improvement in metal. This was in Soundi 4/2007. Oh, and United Abominations isn't really that good.

I voted Metallica. Every single of their albums beats Megadeth's Youthanasia, Cryptic Writings and (most definetly) Risk. Metallica has also influeced and given me so much kicks, that even if I like Megadeth's material from Peace to Countdown, they still don't have a chanche against 'Tallica.
30.05.2007 - 01:14
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Saying Load & Reload are better than Cryptic Writings should be a punishable offense, so should syaing St.Anger is better than anything more than taking a dump in your CD player.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
30.05.2007 - 18:29
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by [user id=20369] on 29.05.2007 at 23:36

Written by [user id=24000] on 24.05.2007 at 05:59

5. Lars is a Dick

5. And Dave Mustaine's a saint?

no, if Lars is dick .... so Dave is pussy
so, there is no diffrent between megadeth and metallica for me, nixx my friend. but i tell the fact, because i dont have prejudice on any of them ... so you don't accept that TODAY megadeth do his work better ... but in the other hand we should listen to metallica's upcoming album ... then we can compair
and about st, anger ... what point did you see in this work? i think they just needed money, so they released that album.... and you know, when you release an album to make money, that wont be a METAL album, that is something like pop):D
30.05.2007 - 21:18
Carrion
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 30.05.2007 at 01:14

Saying Load & Reload are better than Cryptic Writings should be a punishable offense, so should syaing St.Anger is better than anything more than taking a dump in your CD player.

That's your opinion, and I respect it. But I also have my owns, okay?
31.05.2007 - 11:18
Hamird
Lieutenant
@carrion.
you are 100% right ... that is great to respect each other opinions ... even to a strange opinion like that LOAD is better than CRYPTIC WRITINGS
31.05.2007 - 17:46
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Danm Tied Again!!
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
03.06.2007 - 10:30
solar_angel
Account deleted
Metallica? There is no such band any more?
Have you heard their new shit. It smells bad. Really bad. They are just a bunch of asses, who shit on everything they have created in the past.
03.06.2007 - 10:42
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Arian Totalis on 31.05.2007 at 17:46

Danm Tied Again!!

Yeah, real bummer, I didnt know there were 115 Metallica fans left on the planet.
----
- George Carlin
03.06.2007 - 17:43
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by [user id=13894] on 29.05.2007 at 23:57

@ R@tt!eH3d: So Lars is a dick, huh? Well if that's so, then Mustaine is too. Ellefson had been treaten as bad as Newsted IMO, and the recent interview of Mustaine that I read.. The guy keeps whining and whining about Metallica and in the mean time says that after Megadeth there hasn't really been improvement in metal.

Exactly, Mustaine is IMO too an ass, just as much as Ulrich. (many as(s)es in that sentence)
----
04.06.2007 - 00:41
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Warman on 03.06.2007 at 17:43

@ R@tt!eH3d: So Lars is a dick, huh? Well if that's so, then Mustaine is too. Ellefson had been treaten as bad as Newsted IMO, and the recent interview of Mustaine that I read.. The guy keeps whining and whining about Metallica and in the mean time says that after Megadeth there hasn't really been improvement in metal.

Exactly, Mustaine is IMO too an ass, just as much as Ulrich. (many as(s)es in that sentence)

Well, Dave hasn't sued any fans though. And about him whining about Metallica, the people who interview him always ask him about it, so it's not like he brings the subject up all the time.
04.06.2007 - 03:45
Wo0dy
Account deleted
Rust in peace > metallica
04.06.2007 - 21:56
Nixx
Account deleted
Written by [user id=22213] on 03.06.2007 at 10:30

Have you heard their new shit. It smells bad. Really bad. They are just a bunch of asses, who shit on everything they have created in the past.

*sigh*
that was a real solid comment, i'm sure you made people think the same way about them now as you do.
bravo.
Hell, if all Megadeth fans were like you, every discussion would be a true joy.
04.06.2007 - 21:57
Nixx
Account deleted
Written by [user id=14951] on 04.06.2007 at 03:45

Rust in peace > metallica

Ride the Lightning > Megadeth, and so we could go on for ever.
Make a REAL argument the next time, or atleast WHY you think Rust in Peace > Metallica.
04.06.2007 - 22:00
Nixx
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 04.06.2007 at 00:41

Well, Dave hasn't sued any fans though. And about him whining about Metallica, the people who interview him always ask him about it, so it's not like he brings the subject up all the time.

Well he could just say "I'm a mature man, that doesn't give a shit about Metallica anymore", instead of whining about how Metallica got numer one, and how hard it was for him to see they got all the pride n glory, and him all the "left-overs".
Imo, even if it's true, I find no reason for him to whine, he still does what he enjoys the most, and he earns shitloads of money on it.
Good enough a reason to leave the past behind imo, or just tell people that Metallica doesn't concern him anymore, ofcourse people will bring it up when they know he still thinks about it.
05.06.2007 - 08:33
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=20369] on 04.06.2007 at 22:00

Well he could just say "I'm a mature man, that doesn't give a shit about Metallica anymore", instead of whining about how Metallica got numer one, and how hard it was for him to see they got all the pride n glory, and him all the "left-overs".
Imo, even if it's true, I find no reason for him to whine, he still does what he enjoys the most, and he earns shitloads of money on it.
Good enough a reason to leave the past behind imo, or just tell people that Metallica doesn't concern him anymore, ofcourse people will bring it up when they know he still thinks about it.

Well, lately I havnt heard any mentioning of Metallica in any Mustaine interviews, secondly, sure Dave did (does?) whine about Metallica alot, but this goes along with what Pyro said, its kind of hard to drop when people keep throwing it back in your face by bringing it up over and over again.
----
- George Carlin
05.06.2007 - 12:27
Nixx
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 05.06.2007 at 08:33

Written by [user id=20369] on 04.06.2007 at 22:00

Well, lately I havnt heard any mentioning of Metallica in any Mustaine interviews, secondly, sure Dave did (does?) whine about Metallica alot, but this goes along with what Pyro said, its kind of hard to drop when people keep throwing it back in your face by bringing it up over and over again.

I understand your point, and I back it up to a certain degree, I still think Mustaine is the one who should (did?) take the first step though, by saying to the next journalist that asks him about "Metallica vs Mustaine" or so :"Listen, I'm through with this fucking crap-throwing, I don't care about Metallica anymore" then insert some parts like "I respect Metallica" or whatever he does.

Otherwise I agree with both you and Pyro, only reason I mention it, is that I believe that people should always consider more than just one view when it comes to cases like this.
06.06.2007 - 01:53
Carrion
Account deleted
Roadrunner records have denied all questions related to Metallica, so that's maybe why we don't see those issues anymore.. Which IMO is quite good.
06.06.2007 - 02:25
Wo0dy
Account deleted
Written by [user id=20369] on 04.06.2007 at 21:56

*sigh*
that was a real solid comment, i'm sure you made people think the same way about them now as you do.
bravo.

cause its nothing to be argued with. Rust In Peace is one of the best thrash albums....especially written by Mustaine which he can write better 100x than Metallica and continues till today cause now Metallica is now one of the most horrible bands out there. Metallica had a good start but went down really bad......beyond bad...
06.06.2007 - 08:58
graywolf87
Account deleted
"I" as a loyal and dedicated Metallica fan and a good "listener" who also likes Megadeth as well, I have something to say and read carefully!...In music composition and performance Metallica beats Megadeth easily, let's take Kirk Hammett (the guy that came from true thrash badass band EXODUS) who replaced Dave Mustaine for being an alcoholic. Kirk showed to the world his superior guitar skills way beyond Mustaine's, and also gained the respect and title from musicians around the globe as one of Metal finest lead guitarists in history (Mustaine also a good guitarist but not close to Kirk). Second there are many Megadeth hits such as the Rust in Peace album, Peace Sells but who's buying, etc....Metallica in the other hand has "MASTER OF PUPPETS!!!" how can anyone compare an album to that masterpiece of technical progressive thrash metal??? also "True Thrash" album KILL'EM ALL that started everything (I am aware that Mustaine composed some of the songs with James and Lars, but if Cliff didn't like him and then Kirk replaced him and made a whole different/better sound out of it...then there are no props for Dave...sorry...I am honest but it was for good.) Lets take songs "She-Wolf" I love that song but when it comes on playing slow melodic songs Metallica also wins...Sadly the part where Metallica lost is on all the albums after the black album, Megadeth too albums such as "Risk" but with time at least they learned and the lastest album came out to be good, but metallica will never be the same that's what hurts the most. But if there's a winner and the only band that has ruled the world that band is METALLICA! hell yeah! no more questions. and please don't turn your back on them first listen to them then judge... many fans "pose" to be tough you know hatting makes you a big sissy see the facts read history! good night.
06.06.2007 - 09:10
graywolf87
Account deleted
I forgot to mention when Dime Darell died Mustaine said "few reach the level that we have reached?" stead of saying "rest in peace brother" WHAT A COCKY MOTHERF*CKER (he will never reach the level of Dimebag he was a true metaller thrasher guitarist and one of the finest of all time, loved by people) since that day I stopped listening to Megadeth somehow he only laments on everything and auto-worship his own music...music is about the people "we" judge not you motherf......

R.I.P: DIMEBAG
07.06.2007 - 00:54
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=22132] on 06.06.2007 at 08:58

"I" as a loyal and dedicated Metallica fan and a good "listener" who also likes Megadeth as well, I have something to say and read carefully!...In music composition and performance Metallica beats Megadeth easily, let's take Kirk Hammett (the guy that came from true thrash badass band EXODUS) who replaced Dave Mustaine for being an alcoholic. Kirk showed to the world his superior guitar skills way beyond Mustaine's, and also gained the respected and title from musician around the globe as one of Metal finest lead guitarists in history (Mustaine also a good guitarist but not close to Kirk). Second there are many Megadeth hits such as the Rust in Peace album, Peace Sells but who's buying, etc....Metallica in the other hand has "MASTER OF PUPPETS!!!" how can anyone compare an album to that masterpiece of technical progressive thrash metal??? also "True Thrash" album KILL'EM that started everything (I am aware that Mustaine composed some of the songs with James and Lars, but if Cliff didn't like him and then Kirk replaced him and made a whole different/better sound out of it...then there are no props for Dave...sorry...I am honest but it was for good.) Lets take songs "She-Wolf" I love that song but when it comes of playing slow melodic songs Metallica also wins...Sadly the part where Metallica lost is on all the albums after the black album, Megadeth too albums such as "Risk" but with time at least they learned and the lastest album came out to be good, but metallica will never be the same that's what hurts the most. But if there's a winner and the only band that has ruled the world that band is METALLICA! hell yeah! no more questions. and please don't turn your back on them first listen to them then judge... many fans "pose" to be tough you know hatting makes you a big sissy see the facts read history! good night.

Your telling us to read the history but everything you just said is already commonly known, and nothing you said was fact, all opinion, so you didnt prove anything there.
----
- George Carlin
07.06.2007 - 01:53
Nixx
Account deleted
Written by [user id=14951] on 06.06.2007 at 02:25

*sigh*
bravo.

cause its nothing to be argued with. Rust In Peace is one of the best thrash albums....especially written by Mustaine which he can write better 100x than Metallica and continues till today cause now Metallica is now one of the most horrible bands out there. Metallica had a good start but went down really bad......beyond bad...

Unfortunatly for you, it can, it all comes on something called "a personal taste", and as long as that plays a role, it's arguable.
And it also depends on how you define "bad lyric writing" or "good lyric writing", for me, Metallica's lyric writing the last albums are better than ever, simply because I like lyrics that people can recognize themselves in.

So, I believe James is a better song writer, and you think Dave's a better lyric writer, therefor, it's arguable.
07.06.2007 - 05:46
Wo0dy
Account deleted
Written by [user id=20369] on 07.06.2007 at 01:53

Written by [user id=14951] on 06.06.2007 at 02:25

*sigh*
bravo.

Unfortunatly for you, it can, it all comes on something called "a personal taste", and as long as that plays a role, it's arguable.
And it also depends on how you define "bad lyric writing" or "good lyric writing", for me, Metallica's lyric writing the last albums are better than ever, simply because I like lyrics that people can recognize themselves in.

So, I believe James is a better song writer, and you think Dave's a better lyric writer, therefor, it's arguable.

what about music writing? lol (about metallica).
07.06.2007 - 07:00
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by [user id=22132] on 06.06.2007 at 09:10

I forgot to mention when Dime Darell died Mustaine said "few reach the level that we have reached?" stead of saying "rest in peace brother" WHAT A COCKY MOTHERF*CKER (he will never reach the level of Dimebag he was a true metaller thrasher guitarist and one of the finest of all time, loved by people) since that day I stopped listening to Megadeth somehow he only laments on everything and auto-worship his own music...music is about the people "we" judge not you motherf......

Did you seriously just say Dimebag is better than Dave?!
Dave beats dimebag with his hands tied behind his back and blindfolded my friend. I mean, if you wanna say you prefer dimebag, that's fine, but on a technical level, it's just common sense that dave was better, as a matter of fact, almost any guitarist was better than dimebag darrel, and I can't stand all these people saying he was so great just because he died. He was unique, I'll give him that, but then again so was Kurt Cobain, that doesn't mean he was a great musician. Furthermore, I feel that making dimebags name so damned exploited is only a shame to his memory, he should be seen for what he was, a friendly cool kinda guy, that should be held fondly, but not blown out of proportion. So if you really want him to rest in peace, you guys should stop riding his damn name so much.
In any case, no, dave was better, dave was way way way better.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

07.06.2007 - 07:20
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Arian Totalis on 07.06.2007 at 07:00

Dave beats dimebag with his hands tied behind his back and blindfolded my friend. I mean, if you wanna say you prefer dimebag, that's fine, but on a technical level, it's just common sense that dave was better, as a matter of fact, almost any guitarist was better than dimebag darrel, and I can't stand all these people saying he was so great just because he died. He was unique, I'll give him that, but then again so was Kurt Cobain, that doesn't mean he was a great musician. Furthermore, I feel that making dimebags name so damned exploited is only a shame to his memory, he should be seen for what he was, a friendly cool kinda guy, that should be held fondly, but not blown out of proportion. So if you really want him to rest in peace, you guys should stop riding his damn name so much.

I agree, if Dave was shot instead of Dime, we would be drowning in RIP Mustaine tshirts and seeing RIP Mustaine in our f*cking sleep, hell, if Mustaine was shot Megadeth would be leading this poll hands down. I barely heard anyone mention Pantera, Damage plan or even Rebel Meets Rebel until Dimebag was shot, then everyone was a Pantera fan.

Anyways I should probably stay on topic seeing as this isnt Mustaine VS Dimebag. Another thing about why Megadeth is better is that Dave has been able to write great album after great album (with a few, very few exceptions) on his own, youll notice he hasnt kept a solid line-up for more than 3 albums straight (3 I believe, correct me if Im wrong). Whereas Metallica has always had each member feeding ideas with and they still managed to bomb.
----
- George Carlin
07.06.2007 - 07:32
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Doc G. on 07.06.2007 at 07:20

Anyways I should probably stay on topic seeing as this isnt Mustaine VS Dimebag. Another thing about why Megadeth is better is that Dave has been able to write great album after great album (with a few, very few exceptions) on his own, youll notice he hasnt kept a solid line-up for more than 3 albums straight (3 I believe, correct me if Im wrong). Whereas Metallica has always had each member feeding ideas with and they still managed to bomb.

Actually, it was four albums, RIP, Countdown, Youthanasia, and Cryptic Writings. (hey you said correct you if you were wrong lolz) when they did RISK they replaced Nick Menza with Jimmy Degrasso.

But uh, yeah another reason why Megadeth is better than Metallica (in my own oppinion) is that Megadeth's lyrics tend to be alot deeper than metallica's, mainly due to the fact that it's much more politically oriented and people can more easily Identify with Megadeth.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

07.06.2007 - 07:45
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Arian Totalis on 07.06.2007 at 07:32

But uh, yeah another reason why Megadeth is better than Metallica (in my own oppinion) is that Megadeth's lyrics tend to be alot deeper than metallica's, mainly due to the fact that it's much more politically oriented and people can more easily Identify with Megadeth.

Not necassarily (I hate trying to spell that word), sometimes political lyrics anger people who happen to politically apathetic (my bass player for one), and certain political views can alienate some listeners.
----
- George Carlin
07.06.2007 - 18:20
graywolf87
Account deleted

It is true what you say (my opinion and thoughts) I tend to appreciate musicians with "originality" such as Dime. As my guitarist perspective even before he died I always thought besides he being a friendly guy and all, he was one of the greatest out there in terms of originality, creativeness, and the key to a good guitar playing (new metal fans tend to go for the fast soloing and who does it faster...personally I hate that, it kills music to judge like that) Dime had the "soul" the "emotion" within his guitar playing, within the notes he played on fast and ballad/slow songs alike (Cemetery Gates) . 100s of guitarist lack that, they play by the book but not from the heart one of them Mustaine without mentioning he's not the only lead guitarist in the band.

...but again that's my personal point of view I am more of a Pantera and Metallica fan for that reason (Kirk, Dime), first you have to listen to albums like (Cowboys from Hell, The Great Southern Trendkill) songs like "The Sleep", "Floods" defines true talented original guitar compositions...If mustaine dies he won't be remembered for his guitar playing only for being the "head" of Megadeth...I tend to focus on the guitar playing and technical attributes of bands as a musician Megadeth don't give me the chills, goosebumps...Dime was a professional on doing that that's why I own all Pantera CDs and 0 Megadeth......"I don't hate, It is my way of liking 'my' music"

"btw saying that every guitarist was better than Dimebag is ignorancy"...respect!
07.06.2007 - 19:01
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
I finally manage to open this thread after a while , place for noob fighting

Metallica and Megadeth both are done IMO. Saint Anger was bullshit and new Megadeth album is PUKE. I dont give a shit what they are doing and if they release any new album , i dont think they gonna release any new MoP or RIP album.

Dimebag should not be compared with Mustaine , fuck both are uber genius .... respect them all. I am happy with Kill'em all and RIP albums. In fact i will prefer Onslaught or Municipal Waste any day, rather then wasting my time listening new release by Metallica and Megadeth.

And yes , it seems like people are fighting.... who is a dick and who is true musician

They were god ..... peroid. But the memory remains
07.06.2007 - 20:04
MeGaDeTh_fReAk
ofcourse they were both gods but i vote Megadeth anyday .Period.