Metal Storm logo
Violins, violas, Cellos

10.11.2006 - 17:24
Soliloquy
humm...just wondering who plays anyone of these, or similar instruments. i'm really not all that expierenced with cellos, but i have tried fucking around with violins and violas, and i must say, of all the instruments i have touched in my life(the list is huge! from harps, to drums, and name it...even tubas) i must say, violins have been the hardest instrument EVER.

and i have been thinking of getting a violin, but the only thing is that i have no idea what makes a good violin. and people around me dont play violins. i only met like 2 people around my area who play violin, but they arent really all too enthusiastic about em, so they are kinda useless...

so discuss those instruments here. skills, or whatever.
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
10.11.2006 - 17:36
Desolate Grace
Account deleted
Tori-I can actually play viola...I dont like it to well, probably cause I really suck at it haha. But I love the sounds of a sad melodic orchestra.
14.11.2006 - 14:56
Sunioj
I used to play cello, but didnt appreciate it till now, having a string instrument as sensitive as a cello or violin means you have to play it a certain way to get the right sound out of it, and positioning and posture are always important to play the right way. I used to be really good at cello actually, and played quite a few times in front of live audiences.

Another thing that I never noticed, is that there is no frets, so you have to know the instruments sounds through and through.
17.11.2006 - 22:35
Remus
Geez, i've tried laying a violin and it's v e r y difficult! Harder than piano, and i mean the piano has SO many keys... Maybe it's one of those "difficult in the begining but once you learn it's easy" instruments! Anyway, they're cheaper than i thought.
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
19.11.2006 - 04:52
Soliloquy
no, violins arent 'difficult in the begining but once learnt, its easy' instrument. they are difficult as you get better and better, its still hard.and i say that coz i have 2 friends who play the violin, and one of them has been playing for about 3 years, and i honestly think he is AMAZING! but he says he is really sloppy and horrible when comparing to other violinists around. and same thing goes for this other 'friend' who has been playing it for about 6 or more years. she has the same thing going on for her.

piano on the other hand isnt really all too difficult, since they only have a few keys. the only difficult part is not to get those illusions fucking you up, since all the keys look black, or white. but other than that, its not hard, and that is comming from a noob who spent maybe 10 hours on a piano all his life, and can aready play the first few bars of 'moonlight sonata' on the pianoa.(speaking of which, that song is fucking tough to play on the gutar!)
----

-Zakk Wylde
20.11.2006 - 15:08
Sunioj
Written by Soliloquy on 19.11.2006 at 04:52

no, violins arent 'difficult in the begining but once learnt, its easy' instrument. they are difficult as you get better and better, its still hard.and i say that coz i have 2 friends who play the violin, and one of them has been playing for about 3 years, and i honestly think he is AMAZING! but he says he is really sloppy and horrible when comparing to other violinists around. and same thing goes for this other 'friend' who has been playing it for about 6 or more years. she has the same thing going on for her.

piano on the other hand isnt really all too difficult, since they only have a few keys. the only difficult part is not to get those illusions fucking you up, since all the keys look black, or white. but other than that, its not hard, and that is comming from a noob who spent maybe 10 hours on a piano all his life, and can aready play the first few bars of 'moonlight sonata' on the pianoa.(speaking of which, that song is fucking tough to play on the gutar!)

Not to mention the keys are visible whereas in violin and cello you dont have any frets to mark out the notes...Violin is a really cool instrument, when accompanied with other string and wind instruments thats when it can really kick ass.
21.11.2006 - 03:21
Soliloquy
i think i prefer violin solos over electric guitar. like the song 'the thing that should not be' by The Sins Of Thy Beloved(original by metallica)...

but meh.
----

-Zakk Wylde
25.08.2008 - 01:55
Fiddlewench
Account deleted
goodness this is an old topic!

well, I play violin, and have been doing so for coming up for 9 years now. It is a difficult instrument to play, but well worth perservering with!I play in a variety of styles.. predominantly classical (in its broadest term, thus incorporating baroque, romantic etc) solo violin,but also orchestral and chamber music, and metal violin. I love it so much!
29.08.2009 - 20:49
terrorist
I like this instruments a lot and i would definitely use them on the album if i would record something of course:)
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
19.10.2009 - 06:44
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Mm... been playing the violin for... 16 years wth...
----
loves 小巫
19.10.2009 - 12:28
BADDEST MEMBER
Written by Ag Fox on 19.10.2009 at 06:44

Mm... been playing the violin for... 16 years wth...

But the topic creator wonders how to have good the violin. I guess he mean the composition, etc...but your answer can be right more or less, wonder for 16 years, how many violins you have been going through ?
19.10.2009 - 16:04
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
No, the topic creator wanted to know what makes a good violin, not how to obtain one or compose good violin pieces, but since he's not active any more, I can't be bothered to answer that question (unless someone else asks of course)

so I've been through let's see... 7 violins in total
----
loves 小巫
31.12.2010 - 01:49
ferm
I've played cello for 10 years now. I'm very happy to play it especially when I play with the local symphony-orchestra.
25.01.2011 - 12:33
Gurth Bennas
I'm using violin. I think it's a nice and easy instrument. cuz I just went to class for 3 months, but I can use it as well as I can walk. however I'm weak to reading notes, but I play it pretty well without notes.
----
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

(One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them)
04.03.2011 - 23:43
Korsrol
Yamaha electric violins are good. They have the advantage of no wide body, so the higher parts of the finger board are easier to reach.