Metal Storm logo
Equipment

Original post

Posted by Arian Totalis, 05.05.2007 - 23:35
Tell me about the equipment you prefer to use, Guitars, amps, pedals, strings, pick thickness, etc. The reason why I've started this thread is because While I can play well, I stil have no idea about preferences in equipment except that I know I like Ibanez Guitars. In all other above mentioned aspects, I have no Idea. But this can also be about helping anyone else out who needs it.
20.03.2011 - 11:47
A.J Thunder
Could do a little update here now since my last post in this topic was 4years ago

Now using a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser as my first guitar. Had an dimarzio diactivator put into my ltd ex-260.

Put the line 6 aside and got an Peavey 6505+ wich i run through a Harley Benton 4x12 vintage cab with v30 speakers. Got an ibanez TS7 in front of it and its sounds really good.

Now im looking for an x- shaped guitar and are thinking about the ibanez xiphos, jackson warrior wrmg or an used usa warrior. Would be cool to have other x's recommended.
20.03.2011 - 17:29
Yasmine
Written by A.J Thunder on 20.03.2011 at 11:47

Could do a little update here now since my last post in this topic was 4years ago

Now using a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser as my first guitar. Had an dimarzio diactivator put into my ltd ex-260.

Put the line 6 aside and got an Peavey 6505+ wich i run through a Harley Benton 4x12 vintage cab with v30 speakers. Got an ibanez TS7 in front of it and its sounds really good.

Now im looking for an x- shaped guitar and are thinking about the ibanez xiphos, jackson warrior wrmg or an used usa warrior. Would be cool to have other x's recommended.

I have a custom Hellraiser 7, I love that thing. While the Xiphos is quite clear at the bottom end. I think the Jackson 7 soloist is probably the best tone combo, with the most comfy neck for speed I've used on a 7 string. I also have some Ibanez Prestige 7s.

I have a Flextone 2 rig, so my sound is pretty hot.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
20.03.2011 - 19:08
A.J Thunder
Written by Yasmine on 20.03.2011 at 17:29

I have a custom Hellraiser 7, I love that thing. While the Xiphos is quite clear at the bottom end. I think the Jackson 7 soloist is probably the best tone combo, with the most comfy neck for speed I've used on a 7 string. I also have some Ibanez Prestige 7s.

if i'd go for an strat type of body the soloist would be high on the list. And im not 100% im gona get an x shape next, but i really like them. Too bad schecter doesnt make any x shaped guitar.
20.03.2011 - 19:15
Yasmine
Written by A.J Thunder on 20.03.2011 at 19:08

Written by Yasmine on 20.03.2011 at 17:29

if i'd go for an start type of body the soloist would be high on the list. And im not 100% im gona get an x shape next, but i really like them. Too bad schecter doesnt make any x shaped guitar.

My hands are tiny, so playing a 7 string means I've to move a little faster to make up for the spacing and soloist neck is very fast, and very very comfy. It's lighter than the Ibanez 7s too. Comes with light string on it, so you'll need to change if you dont like the slack, I personally do however.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
22.03.2011 - 02:07
moe5512
I got a Esp Ltd viper 500S guitar as first instrument, line6 spider IV 120w amplifier with a channel/effect/wahwah/volume pedal. I got a Stagg guitar, don't know what kind but it's really crappy. besides that I got a mid-price ukulele, yamaha electro-acoustic guitar, nylon guitar. A roland cube 20x amp, a jackhammer dist pedal. I got a lot of half crappy instruments but i'm not gonna tell yu about them
22.03.2011 - 02:36
Yasmine
Written by moe5512 on 22.03.2011 at 02:07

I got a Esp Ltd viper 500S guitar as first instrument, line6 spider IV 120w amplifier with a channel/effect/wahwah/volume pedal. I got a Stagg guitar, don't know what kind but it's really crappy. besides that I got a mid-price ukulele, yamaha electro-acoustic guitar, nylon guitar. A roland cube 20x amp, a jackhammer dist pedal. I got a lot of half crappy instruments but i'm not gonna tell yu about them

awww lol, well you'll have to upgrade as you learn, I did, I started playing very young.
----
22.03.2011 - 20:29
moe5512
Written by Yasmine on 22.03.2011 at 02:36

awww lol, well you'll have to upgrade as you learn, I did, I started playing very young.

maybe I upgrade my gear when I get enough money, eh?
24.03.2011 - 20:37
Yasmine
Written by moe5512 on 22.03.2011 at 20:29

Written by Yasmine on 22.03.2011 at 02:36

maybe I upgrade my gear when I get enough money, eh?

Well here is one of mine.....

[URL=http://img839.imageshack.us/i/schecter.jpg/][/URL]

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[/URL]
----
24.03.2011 - 21:21
moe5512
Written by Yasmine on 24.03.2011 at 20:37

very nice, but from your comment I get the impression that the better you are at playing the better gear you have... I know that I'm a good guitarist, probably better than many other guitarists but I don't have the money to get ultra-pro-master-shit and I don't really need it either for now.
24.03.2011 - 21:39
Yasmine
Written by moe5512 on 24.03.2011 at 21:21

Written by Yasmine on 24.03.2011 at 20:37

very nice, but from your comment I get the impression that the better you are at playing the better gear you have... I know that I'm a good guitarist, probably better than many other guitarists but I don't have the money to get ultra-pro-master-shit and I don't really need it either for now.

Well I did get better as I went along collecting equipment! Also I started playing at 6.
----
24.03.2011 - 22:09
moe5512
Written by Yasmine on 24.03.2011 at 21:39

Well I did get better as I went along collecting equipment! Also I started playing at 6.

also started when I was 6 but hey, and good for you! I got better when I practiced but I guess I'm just old-school
26.03.2011 - 06:22
MetalSpider
Yasmine...

Nice setup! I was actually looking at Schecter guitars (thanks to Mr. Jeff Loomis!) to one day upgrade from my laughable Squier Strat (although it does feel nice to play...just sounds like hell). I also have a Roland Cube 15 amp...another laughable thing, but I live in a condo, so getting something bigger would be out of the question I think.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
26.03.2011 - 06:59
Yasmine
Written by MetalSpider on 26.03.2011 at 06:22

Yasmine...

Nice setup! I was actually looking at Schecter guitars (thanks to Mr. Jeff Loomis!) to one day upgrade from my laughable Squier Strat (although it does feel nice to play...just sounds like hell). I also have a Roland Cube 15 amp...another laughable thing, but I live in a condo, so getting something bigger would be out of the question I think.

Aw I also have an Ibanez 7 prestige, a Jackson warrior an old Destroyer, etc. A bass, and gonna get a 7 string Soloist.
----
10.04.2011 - 09:29
A.J Thunder
I just bought the roland cube 15, as i've been staying at a hotel now for 2 months because of work. Its a really good practice amp. Dont think i've could have got anything much better for the 100euros it was for a new one.
At the same time i was buying the amp i also found out what guitar to buy next. Since i've got my Schecter c-1 and stopped play my Ltd ex-260 i have been overlooking ltd/esp guitars for some reason.

As i haven't been able to find any x shaped guitar with spec's i would prefer. The xiphos maybe but the edge-III was really not what i wanted for my first tremolo bridge guitar. So i've decided to look for strat types wich i love too,
its just that i think the x shape is so death metal but anyway. So i've picked up this Esp M-II NT to try the amp with emg's as in my shcecter and now i wonder why in all of these years havent i've been thinking of ESP anymore.
I have been thinking like "maybe an ibanez hmm maybe an jackson....no Esp noo" and then this guitar is the best i've ever played this far. The overall feel of the guitar from the first time i've picked it up was just pure quality
and the playability so easy and smooth with the neck. It also had an orginal floyd rose wich i wanted because i dont want to have to struggle with anything cheaper with my first tremolo bridge guitar. The sounds through my 6505+
will be quit the same i think as with my schecter with emgs 81s ( a bit brighter im guessing). One small thing i also love with this one is the fact it only has one knob wich is the the volume. Cuz i allways have had tone maxed anyway.

But it didn't fit my budget as it was 1600euros for a black one wich i think was quit dull color. So i looked up the internet for these and found an used M-II neck-trough with the urban camo finish (wich i think is really metal indeed) for a suitable price. It was allmoust mint condition with just a little bit of paint scratched of the screws on the floyd.

So now im just waiting..........for it to arrive. /,,/ i can write more about it when ill get it next week and been playing it more.

pics of the actual guitar im getting:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11214938/4sale/UC/myynti.html
11.04.2011 - 07:15
Sunioj
I got a Crate BX50 for practicing bass with my full band (and some small gigs), and a small peavey for my flat. I'm thinking of buying/trading my Crate for a larger, more powerful Ampeg which I've always dreamed of. The Crate is only a 50 watt and its just on the brink of being powerful enough for my sound to stand out among my band members. It drives me crazy when I have to play extra hard to ring those notes out... I just need something maybe, twice as powerful.
02.05.2011 - 15:28
Derelict Earth
I use a LTD SC-600 with Seymour Duncan SH8/SH10 pickups, a Cort Earth 12 strings, an Ibanez SR500. I used to have a pod XT live for recording but now i'm building a rack with already a pod X3 pro and a rocktron piranha tube preamp.
12.05.2011 - 02:56
Llort
Currently using an Ibanez RG321MH guitar. Looking to update that soon though, possibly to something out of the ESP (or LTD) Eclipse range. Would be inclined to go for a Gibson Les Paul Custom, but sadly, I am not rich.

Amp wise, I recently got a Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100 watt head through a Marshall 1960 4x12 amp. Liking it a lot, and sounds pretty brutal live!
12.05.2011 - 11:15
Yasmine
I never cared much for ESPs, really dry sounding crunch. I like a brighter, hotter sound.
----