Metal Storm logo
Megadeth vs Metallica

Original post

Posted by -Valhalla-, 07.06.2006 - 03:18
Megadeth and Metallica have been trying to out do eachother for years. Dave Mustaine was an Ex-Metallica guitarist, and made Megadeth to show that he doesn't need metallica. Metallica the more popular of the two, cut thier hair, and sold out, touring with bands like Linkin Park, Limp Bizcuit. Meanwhile, Megadeth's still going strong. Who's better? Would you rather go to see live?

In my opinion Megadeth is the better of the two. Metallica is a bunch of fatheads who have sucked balls since Ride The Lightning. Megadeth still sounds great, and has the Gigantour going, while Metallica is busy filming their next documentary about, whiney disagreements, and how the band is falling apart.

Poll

Megadeth vs. Metallica

Megadeth
Metallica

Total votes: 971
07.06.2007 - 22:15
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Doc G. on 07.06.2007 at 07:45

Written by Arian Totalis on 07.06.2007 at 07:32

But uh, yeah another reason why Megadeth is better than Metallica (in my own oppinion) is that Megadeth's lyrics tend to be alot deeper than metallica's, mainly due to the fact that it's much more politically oriented and people can more easily Identify with Megadeth.

Not necassarily (I hate trying to spell that word), sometimes political lyrics anger people who happen to politically apathetic (my bass player for one), and certain political views can alienate some listeners.

Yea but like I said, that's just my oppinion.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
07.06.2007 - 23:33
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=22132] on 07.06.2007 at 18:20

Written by Arian Totalis on 07.06.2007 at 07:00

Written by [user id=22132] on 06.06.2007 at 09:10

I forgot to mention when Dime Darell died Mustaine said "few reach the level that we have reached?" stead of saying "rest in peace brother" WHAT A COCKY MOTHERF*CKER (he will never reach the level of Dimebag he was a true metaller thrasher guitarist and one of the finest of all time, loved by people) since that day I stopped listening to Megadeth somehow he only laments on everything and auto-worship his own music...music is about the people "we" judge not you motherf......

R.I.P: DIMEBAG

Did you seriously just say Dimebag is better than Dave?!
Dave beats dimebag with his hands tied behind his back and blindfolded my friend. I mean, if you wanna say you prefer dimebag, that's fine, but on a technical level, it's just common sense that dave was better, as a matter of fact, almost any guitarist was better than dimebag darrel, and I can't stand all these people saying he was so great just because he died. He was unique, I'll give him that, but then again so was Kurt Cobain, that doesn't mean he was a great musician. Furthermore, I feel that making dimebags name so damned exploited is only a shame to his memory, he should be seen for what he was, a friendly cool kinda guy, that should be held fondly, but not blown out of proportion. So if you really want him to rest in peace, you guys should stop riding his damn name so much.
In any case, no, dave was better, dave was way way way better.

It is true what you say (my opinion and thoughts) I tend to appreciate musicians with "originality" such as Dime. As my guitarist perspective even before he died I always thought besides he being a friendly guy and all, he was one of the greatest out there in terms of originality, creativeness, and the key to a good guitar playing (new metal fans tend to go for the fast soloing and who does it faster...personally I hate that, it kills music to judge like that) Dime had the "soul" the "emotion" within his guitar playing, within the notes he played on fast and ballad/slow songs alike (Cemetery Gates) . 100s of guitarist lack that, they play by the book but not from the heart one of them Mustaine without mentioning he's not the only lead guitarist in the band.

Its funny how you try to state something like that as a fact, I didnt find DIme unique at all, here I'll make a Pantera song:
*Digga-Digga-Digga-Digga-*Squeel*-Digga-Digga-Digga*

Claiming someone lacks any heart & soul is really subjective thing, sure Mustaines riffs might not hit you, but they do for other people, just as I find Pantera riffs pretty predictable you enjoy them. Claiming someones passion in there music is really close minded way to think "I dont like his riffs as much so that means he doesnt have the same passion for the music that the bands that I like do". As long as your playing your own songs that are original no one can question your passion. We can only judge this poll on a technical level, or otherwise every single post in here is going to end in "....thats just my opinion" eliminating the whole point for a discussion thread.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
07.06.2007 - 23:55
Kharn
Account deleted
Megadeth win. metallica have released 3 albums after the black album...what the fuck...dried up me thinks.

And as far as dimebag vs dave mustaine. Dimebag was good...one of my favourite guitarists, but he is not as good as dave.
you may prefer dimes playing style but that dosent make him a better guitarist. and i don't see why everyone thinks its totally
disrespectful to criticise his playing. people criticise hendrix and Randy roads all the time and no-one lashes out saying,
"Such and such is the best!, i'll kick your ass!.blah blah blah".
It's really stupid.
08.06.2007 - 18:15
+NoName+
I like metallica...that's why i voted for them... maybe its because i started listening to metal generally when i started listening to them...they are the reason i am a metal girl...
But each and every one of us have her/his own preferences right? I mean we cant tell to someone to stop listening to Megadeth just because we dont like dave for examle or the other way around.... noone can tell me to stop listening to Metallica cuz they kicked Dave out of the band....Right?.....

My point is this:

Stop arguing about the bands.....which is better and stuff... Each band has its own true fans... they will defend their band ... thats natural...

i mean come on.... they are all rock and metal thats what matters ROCK & METAL LIVES .....
its better to argue with britney spear's fan for example that would have an interest.....

08.06.2007 - 19:44
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Written by +NoName+ on 08.06.2007 at 18:15

I like metallica...that's why i voted for them... maybe its because i started listening to metal generally when i started listening to them...they are the reason i am a metal girl...
But each and every one of us have her/his own preferences right? I mean we cant tell to someone to stop listening to Megadeth just because we dont like dave for examle or the other way around.... noone can tell me to stop listening to Metallica cuz they kicked Dave out of the band....Right?.....

My point is this:

Stop arguing about the bands.....which is better and stuff... Each band has its own true fans... they will defend their band ... thats natural...

i mean come on.... they are all rock and metal thats what matters ROCK & METAL LIVES .....
its better to argue with britney spear's fan for example that would have an interest.....

BOW down to this girl , and welcome to metalstorm .... AWESOME first post !!

08.06.2007 - 21:15
+NoName+
thank you very much ,man... I appreciete that...

MetalStorm is awesome ... I already love it...

08.06.2007 - 21:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

My point is this:

well dave wa sonly in early demos in band but I like what you say about Britney fans thay probobly die when hera 'Seak and Destroy'
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.06.2007 - 00:46
orathac
Account deleted
my favorite band from those 2 is Metallica, but i voted Megadeth. for me Metallica has disapoint me after Black Album they just waste of money albums like load reload st. anger then they releashed garade inc. well after those "junks" on their live showes they dont play old good stuff they have forgoten the lyrics of fade to black motorbreath trapened under ice . but Megadeth still ripping corpeses from thei depud too the system has fail they make me proud of thrash and they just roll and Mustaine is just an exelent man for i respact him a lot as a person. Lars and Hetfiled just very bad ppl they treat Newsteed they played tricks with Mustaine always were bad , but Master Of Puppets is my second favorite album of all the time and ride the lighting is godlike for me but i would never go to Metallicas live concert they play sh*t on live mostly from load reload st anger and nothing from kill 'em all.

If Cliff Burton would live Metallica would be better after Master Of Puppets they destroyed.
R.I.P. Cliff u died too early..
09.06.2007 - 14:21
+NoName+
I have seen live concerts from metallica recently... They play Seek & Destroy from Kill 'em All for sure...At least at those that i saw... And of course we all know that if Cliff was still alive Metallica would be much better than they are now... That's for sure...

And in my opinion Load is one of their best albums...Not like Master of Puppets and their older stuff but it rocks... But wtf this is my own opinion Everyone can think what he/she wants right...?

And i'm not the type of girl who is gonna argue with the guys that don't like Metallica

But please guys when u say something search your sources right...Don't say stuff that dont exist...

Thanks... And Rock On
09.06.2007 - 14:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by +NoName+ on 09.06.2007 at 14:21

I have seen live concerts from metallica recently... They play Seek & Destroy from Kill 'em All for sure...At least at those that i saw... And of course we all know that if Cliff was still alive Metallica would be much better than they are now... That's for sure...

And in my opinion Load is one of their best albums...Not like Master of Puppets and their older stuff but it rocks... But wtf this is my own opinion Everyone can think what he/she wants right...?

And i'm not the type of girl who is gonna argue with the guys that don't like Metallica

But please guys when u say something search your sources right...Don't say stuff that dont exist...

Thanks... And Rock On

I woud not go to nowdays Metallica I woud not go to shows after thay cut hair I prefre old tsuff old look old attitude and I even didnt go to Paradise Lost show too if I was born more earlyer I woud go and I hear Savvas Kofidis wen to Metalica show in Worl Cup in 1994
old Metallica was like old gate 7(and gay13 too)
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.06.2007 - 20:39
Warman
Erotic Stains
Man, I really can't understand K7-posts...
----
09.06.2007 - 23:07
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff

My point is this:

That would eliminate the entire point of a discussion thread, or a forum entirely, its here to discuss music, the ups and downs, and sometimes that involves comparison. Even though I voted Megadeth Im still interested in seeing things from the Metallica fans point of view (the intelligent posts that is), you learn more. So no, stopping argueing about the bands would be just....silly.
----
- George Carlin
10.06.2007 - 10:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
My god, people stop bitching about whether dimebag was better than mustaine or not, fact is Mustaine wanted Dimebag to join Megadth after So far So Good but Dimebag chose to stay with Pantera and thus Mustaine opted for Friedman to join Megadeth.
Btw, Mustaine is a technically a great guitar player wo influenced a shitload of thrash guitarists (yes he also influenced Hammett, and also Kerry Kin. and loads more)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.06.2007 - 11:12
MeGaDeTh_fReAk
i thought Dime didn't play because Vinnie couldn't be in the band to?
10.06.2007 - 11:29
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Even votes!! ... just pointing out..
----

Hellcunt Smurf
12.06.2007 - 09:42
Torture Killer
Account deleted
Metallica, Kill 'Em All Is my favorite just straight to the point thrash Mustaine and Megadeth are awsome but for the most part Mustaines riffs were always a little too complex for my dumbass to handle, thats probably why i prefer SFU over Cannibal Corpse.
13.06.2007 - 08:28
WarlockDLX69
Account deleted
sorry... metallica... megadeth was the product of a pouting dave mustaine, and if you ask me.... they were a copycat flopout... plus, i justcant stand watching dave mustaine sing... he doesnt move his lips... makes me want to reach out and stuff my fist down his throat...
18.06.2007 - 01:15
+NoName+
To Mr.Rock:

Ok man ...You have a point in there...And i agree with u...But sometimes here in the metal world that we belong we have ''enemies'' .....And that's because of this arguing.''Enemies''=Fans outa control that fight with other people who have different opinion of theirs about bands like ''metallica vs. megadeth'' ( i hope u cant understand what i want to say) ^
''
And seriously...I totally agree with u... There should be a little arguing but not it that ^ way......(My opinion again) Dont u think? ''

Btw...thx for ur comment chap... I hope we will have the chance to ''argue'' again in the future

Keep rocking^^
18.06.2007 - 01:22
+NoName+
oops!!

I meant '' Dr.Rock'' sorry.....

18.06.2007 - 02:47
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=24313] on 13.06.2007 at 08:28

.... they were a copycat flopout...

uhmmm...well Mustaine helped write the early Metallica so obviously Megadeth is going to sound similar to that, but after the non-Mustaine Metallica period sounds nothing like Megadeth so copycat is a really false argument against Megadeth.
----
- George Carlin
18.06.2007 - 03:06
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
cant believe howclose this is, I always thought that metallica had much more fans, but I see that things are changing =D

Well I dont really like neither (not a big fan of trash) BUT I do like megadeth better
----
18.06.2007 - 21:23
WarlockDLX69
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 18.06.2007 at 02:47

uhmmm...well Mustaine helped write the early Metallica so obviously Megadeth is going to sound similar to that, but after the non-Mustaine Metallica period sounds nothing like Megadeth so copycat is a really false argument against Megadeth.

not really... because mustaine admits to starting megadeth as a rival to metallica... as far as things go, no two bands sound significantly the same... mustaine has a much more whiney voice, whereas james has a more powerful commanding voice... if you ask me, metallicas guitars kick the shit out of megadeths...

the reason mustaine left was because the metallica group didnt agree with the things he wanted to implement.... one of which being adding him in as a singer... i dont know if james just didnt want anyone else hogging up the glory of the vocalist position, or if he feels the way i do... and thinks mustaine sounds like shit... nobody will ever really know but dave mustaine, and metallica... but i give metallica much more props than i do megadeth... anyone into any kind of rock knows who metallica is and can name at least 3 hit songs... if not more... i know who both are, im deep into metal, and i still cant name any more than one song from megadeth other than "symphony of destruction" in which the music was pretty cool... but the lyrics blew dick... im sorry, i dont want to turn this into an argument or have you take this as a personal assault/insult... i just really hate megadeth lol i mean bands have had some corny, strange, and somewhat childish names in the past.... but "mega deth",..... they only got away with that shit because it was the dawn of a new form of rock, and the stoners of the 80s thought it was cool... im ranting again... lol alright im out, no offense to anyone... but keep in mind, this was a "who vs. who" type thread... people will get offended during conversations like these
18.06.2007 - 23:35
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=24313] on 18.06.2007 at 21:23

Written by Doc G. on 18.06.2007 at 02:47

not really... because mustaine admits to starting megadeth as a rival to metallica... as far as things go, no two bands sound significantly the same... mustaine has a much more whiney voice, whereas james has a more powerful commanding voice... if you ask me, metallicas guitars kick the shit out of megadeths...

the reason mustaine left was because the metallica group didnt agree with the things he wanted to implement.... one of which being adding him in as a singer... i dont know if james just didnt want anyone else hogging up the glory of the vocalist position, or if he feels the way i do... and thinks mustaine sounds like shit... nobody will ever really know but dave mustaine, and metallica... but i give metallica much more props than i do megadeth... anyone into any kind of rock knows who metallica is and can name at least 3 hit songs... if not more... i know who both are, im deep into metal, and i still cant name any more than one song from megadeth other than "symphony of destruction" in which the music was pretty cool... but the lyrics blew dick... im sorry, i dont want to turn this into an argument or have you take this as a personal assault/insult... i just really hate megadeth lol i mean bands have had some corny, strange, and somewhat childish names in the past.... but "mega deth",..... they only got away with that shit because it was the dawn of a new form of rock, and the stoners of the 80s thought it was cool... im ranting again... lol alright im out, no offense to anyone... but keep in mind, this was a "who vs. who" type thread... people will get offended during conversations like these

Mustaine was thrown out for drinking far too much. and a megadeath is a measurement of one million deaths, used for the prediction of deaths in a nuclear war, it goes along with the highly political lyrical content that I find pretty clever, and you cant tell me 'Metallica' doesnt have a cheesey ring to it. And people can name 3 Metallica songs easy because they had an MTV friendly sound that everyone knows. I know Megadeth was on MTV aswell but not to the same extent as Metallica.
----
- George Carlin
19.06.2007 - 00:26
WarlockDLX69
Account deleted
i guess that might be my thing... i never listen to lyrics... im a guitarist, and one who focuses on the instrumentals of the song.... there are very few songs i actually listen to the lyrics of, and megadeth, considering i hate dave mustaines voice, i never paid any more attention to... with the exception of "symphony of destruction" in which the chorus was just.. a smidge dull, and somewhat out of my range of desirable listening... pure and simple, i hate megadeth.... im sure their name has poetic meaning to it, but to the person who doesnt care or know, its kinda cheesy... metllica is too, but to me, the words "mega" and "deth/death" in the music industry are truly for mainstream children enthusiasts.... teenagers who dont appreciate the finer things in music, only look for flashy names that they think sound badass when someone asks them who their favorite band is.. im not a big fan of 80'S thrash metal anyways.... but metalica was probably one of the better bands that came out of it... (the earlier shit anyways)... i dont think megadeth has anywhere near the same overall influence on the industry as metalllica does... i guess its all just a matter of opinion eh?
19.06.2007 - 00:34
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
I find it kind of funny someone using the phrase "mainstream children enthusiasts" while trying to defend Metallica, a little hypocritical isnt it?
----
- George Carlin
19.06.2007 - 01:20
Opium
Account deleted
Written by [user id=24313] on 19.06.2007 at 00:26

i hate megadeth.... im sure their name has poetic meaning to it, but to the person who doesnt care or know, its kinda cheesy... metllica is too

Care to give a proper definition of the word "cheesy"? because as far as I'm concerned it's simply a label people loosely use to avoid explaining what they truly mean.

And "Megadeth" (Also, "Megadeath", depending on where you come from) is a military term, for when there is a predicted amount of 1,000,000 or more deaths in nuclear warfare, I believe.

EDIT: Just saw Dr. Rock's post explaining the term too, sorry for rehashing what he explained, but Warlock obviously failed to take what he said into account
19.06.2007 - 01:36
WarlockDLX69
Account deleted
allow me to retort... lol

i know they are both cheesy in my opinion.... but to me, some of metallicas music was really inspiring both to myself as well as many many many other musicians... i mean seriously, their shit was original... nobody can take that away from them... in this day and age though, their work is being looked at after a multitude of other copycat bands have came and gone since... and some people may have lost touch with who came first... they were the pioneers... and from what i understand, mustaine had a very short stay in metallica.... VERY short... kind of like the first few bandmembers of slipknot before they made it big that nobody hears about... if mustaine didnt get back on the horse and start megadeth, he would have been a nobody just the same.... as for the drinking thing, and why mustaine got booted.... how could that be the reason when james has been a terrible alchoholic for years? in fact, he went into rehab before and during the making of st anger... i watched an interview a few months ago where mustaine admitted they wouldnt let him do his own thing and he wanted to sing... i dunno, and i really dont care... there are pros and cons from both sides, i thought this was a poll of who liked who better? a guy says something about the subject, gives his reason... and has 2 people down his throat about it... didnt mean to offend, its just taste preference... if i had to choose between the two, metallica... and thats why.... to be honest? i dont really care for either lol but i can play more metallica shit than i can megadeth... and in my world.. "can" is subjective to "wanting to" ;-)
19.06.2007 - 02:43
Opium
Account deleted
I won't bother with you anymore, Warlock, you obviously fail to explain the term "cheesy", whether or not that was intentional is another thing, though.

As for the poll, personally, I'm ambivalent when it comes to comparing these two bands. Both bands have their masterpieces, which I continue to appreciate, so I'll leave it at that.
19.06.2007 - 09:44
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=24313] on 19.06.2007 at 01:36

i thought this was a poll of who liked who better? a guy says something about the subject, gives his reason... and has 2 people down his throat about it... didnt mean to offend, its just taste preference... if i had to choose between the two, metallica... and thats why.... to be honest? i dont really care for either lol but i can play more metallica shit than i can megadeth... and in my world.. "can" is subjective to "wanting to" ;-)

Down your throat? First of all this is a DISCUSSION thread, so thats what we do, discuss the pros and cons, and argue and such, and I was merely pointing out all the flaws in your false arguments against Megadeth, like saying there a knock off, and other such things.
----
- George Carlin
19.06.2007 - 17:50
WarlockDLX69
Account deleted
they are a knock off..... lol and as for the term "cheesy".... you really dont know what cheesy is? its another word to be used in place of "stupid" or "corny" or "un-original"... depending on how you use the term... in their context? id say corny and un-original...