Metal Storm logo
What tuning do you play in?

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 26.12.2007 - 19:58
i mostly play in standard tuning, but occasionally when i feel like playing stuff like Metallica-Whiskey in the Jar, i go down to drop D, seldom in Eb.

you?
26.06.2009 - 21:41
Warlock84
Written by Guest on 10.06.2009 at 16:01

If I was going to tune down 2.5 steps (standard DM tuning) I know I need to get thicker strings but are there any other modifications I would need to make? I'm playing an RR5 at the moment but was thinking of investing in a new guitar for death metal stuff.

I usually play in E flat for most of my own songs and just practicing on a BC Rich NJ Warlock- EMG 81 & 85. I just always loved that tuning, playing Iced Earth and old Slayer. My other guitar I change around from time to time- C# or B for Kataklysm and Amon Amarth styles, and once in while down to dropped A for stuff like 'Pinball Map' from In Flames.

My suggestion if you're going to tune down is find a solid, heavy string-thru guitar like a Les Paul or BC Rich (Buy a higher end model though, all the low end BC Rich models suck now). Trust me, it's so much easier changing tunings, strings, and setting up your guitar when you aren't adjusting trust rods and springs because your locking tremolo is all over the place, and you can't for the life of you adjust the bridge to where you want it. That is the only downfall to a locking tremolo that I have seen so far... but that's why my Warlock stays in E flat. With a string-thru or fixed bridge guitar you can tune that thing all over the place so long as you remember to adjust the trust rod to bear the tension of the neck.
----
All we are is the passion that burns inside us
29.08.2009 - 12:48
I'm a fan of 1.5 steps down - C#, purely because of ashes divide and APC. Its cool to have the flat on the open string when you're jamming it sounds really unique.

Re adjusting the trust rod - how is that done? I've had my Les Paul for years and have not fiddled with it a whole lot and my teacher mentioned the neck going out of shape if a guitar is downtuned etc so was just wondering. I tune all over the place (DR strings are fantastic for this btw) but usually go back up to E to practice in.
----
VICTORY!!!!! (They love it in France)
08.10.2009 - 20:10
ANGEL REAPER
Standard...Its hard for me to remember even standard tones positions,so why to bother to learn new one?
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
11.10.2009 - 15:44
Archetype
I play in Standard 99% of the time and on the odd occasion I drop it .5 a step down just to mess around with some lower notes.
25.10.2009 - 16:02
Well, what does the tuning means in guitar ? I know it's a stupid question but I play some keyboard and I wanna know what does that means ..
26.10.2009 - 01:40
Sunioj
Written by The Night Wisher on 25.10.2009 at 16:02

Well, what does the tuning means in guitar ? I know it's a stupid question but I play some keyboard and I wanna know what does that means ..

Its to what notes the strings are tuned. Standard tuning for guitar goes EADGBE but a lot of metal bands use alternate, lower tunings like standard D (DGCFAD) or even standard B (BEADGB), theres loads of different tunings. Off the top of my head, you can relate to piano which stars in C correct?
26.10.2009 - 16:28
Written by Sunioj on 26.10.2009 at 01:40

Its to what notes the strings are tuned. Standard tuning for guitar goes EADGBE but a lot of metal bands use alternate, lower tunings like standard D (DGCFAD) or even standard B (BEADGB), theres loads of different tunings. Off the top of my head, you can relate to piano which stars in C correct?

Thanks , now I can understand you, but It seems to be harder to play in different tuning in guitar cuz in piano it's almost the same (in difficulty)
30.10.2009 - 04:14
Sunioj
Written by The Night Wisher on 26.10.2009 at 16:28

Written by Sunioj on 26.10.2009 at 01:40

Thanks , now I can understand you, but It seems to be harder to play in different tuning in guitar cuz in piano it's almost the same (in difficulty)

Well, I'm not too sure about that. I play bass, and I mainly play linear lines and not chords. On the piano you have to do fugue and stuff, which unless you are extremely proficient in two handed tapping on guitar, I doubt that piano is easier! If anything I'd say its harder.
09.11.2009 - 08:01
dEAthB3D
D tuning (sometimes drop C tuning) or C#tuning....
----
the ultimate use of treason is the treacherous use of reason
10.11.2009 - 01:34
Warlock84
Written by Entropic Silence on 29.08.2009 at 12:48

I'm a fan of 1.5 steps down - C#, purely because of ashes divide and APC. Its cool to have the flat on the open string when you're jamming it sounds really unique.

Re adjusting the trust rod - how is that done? I've had my Les Paul for years and have not fiddled with it a whole lot and my teacher mentioned the neck going out of shape if a guitar is downtuned etc so was just wondering. I tune all over the place (DR strings are fantastic for this btw) but usually go back up to E to practice in.

You can adjust the trust rod by using an allen wrench to tighten or loosen the tension on the neck. Most guitars come with one at purchase, but you can probably find one with ease at any hardware shop or instrument store, otherwise. On electrics there is typically a plate you can unscrew at the top of the neck on the headstock, and on acoustic guitars it's inside the soundhole where the neck connects to the body.

A downward bow, or dip in the top of the neck/ fretboard means you need to tighten the rod to straighten out the neck a little, whereas an upward bow, or hump on the top of the neck/ fretboard means the opposite- you have to loosen the tension of the rod to counteract the tension of the strings. Always give your neck a looking over (basically by holding the guitar at eye level and looking from the bridge down to the headstock) every time you drasctically change tuning. For instance from dropped tuning all the way back up to standard. You will need to adjust the neck. Also if you change gauges on your strings is it wise to check it. NEVER take all of the strings off at once!!! Change them one at a time.
----
10.11.2009 - 15:14
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Warlock84 on 10.11.2009 at 01:34
You can adjust the trust rod by ... Also if you change gauges on your strings is it wise to check it. NEVER take all of the strings off at once!!! Change them one at a time.
It's truss... How do you clean your fretboard? Under one string at a time? BTW how often do you guys change your strings? IMO any serious musician should do it no less than once every few months... I guess there's some exceptions, but probably not primarily metal people.
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 08.10.2009 at 20:10
Standard...Its hard for me to remember even standard tones positions,so why to bother to learn new one?
If you change your tuning by the same amount for each string, you don't have to learn new positions... unless you need to keep to exact A B C etc pitchings or the original material used open notes (or, the opposite, used the highest frets which would be inaccessible if you downtune anything). The patterns (up two frets and one string, up three frets, etc) stay the same.

Acoustic tuning has changed since my last post here - for a while now I've been playing it in standard D. It's lost a third of its strings but I still like playing anything I can on it. (What I said earlier about changing strings, I do not at all apply to the acoustic - I'm still not a busker.)
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
10.11.2009 - 19:29
Warlock84
I usually wipe down my entire guitar every time after I play it- for my electrics at least. I use Gibson guitar polish on the body and back of the neck with a soft polishing cloth. To clean the fretboard I use Guitar Honey with either a very soft tooth brush or soft polishing cloth. It keeps the wood moist and clean, and actually helps reduce friction. As for changing strings I usually try to do that every few months depending on how often I play. My electrics, which I play almost daily- I will change strings every 2 or 3 months depending on wear. For my acoustics, my 12 string especially, I play them far less and typically change strings every 4 to 6 months depending on wear.
----
12.11.2009 - 15:04
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I use most tunings, as I like a variety of styles. But the two I probably use most are standard, and down 2.5 steps to B.
17.11.2009 - 15:59
soadbyob
Account deleted
As low as I can get it, without it sounding like shit
01.12.2009 - 00:32
whatsacow
Standard mostly, but occasionally drop d or a, cross note e or open c, well, i'll just say i like to experiment
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
01.12.2009 - 10:50
Immortal
Standard D tuning with a dropped C (CGCFAD) for electric. Standard or DADGAD for acoustic.
----
"Hope is the greatest of all evils, for it prolongs the torment of man." - Friedrich Nietzsche
02.12.2009 - 17:40
Angel Of Mercy
Drop D, standard and Open G major.
----
Your time will come.
19.02.2010 - 04:31
whatsacow
DAC#EBe
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
19.02.2010 - 20:47
thesabbathfan
D standard or Drop C for me
----
24.02.2010 - 07:04
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
Always play in C# (everything down three semitones), such a heavy sound, great for wanting a brutal heavy tone
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
24.02.2010 - 20:55
ChaoCentric
My Dean is either in Drop D, or Drop C. My Bass (6 String) is in Custom Tuning from lowest to highest its (ADADGD) Gives me a huge Range to toy around with and makes it easier to do solos.
----
When the Sky Darkens and the Prospect is War Whos given a gun and then Pushed to the fore!
08.03.2010 - 07:44
Mushieknot
I play i Drop B for original songs, and Drop B, B standard, C#?? (the one that has the same as Drop B but the 6th string is C#) and if I had a 7 String, Drop A 7.
----
Yea, I do like Nu Metal.
10.03.2010 - 01:30
I play in standard. I used to have a Washburn (I forget the model) that I kept in drop-B, but I sold it.
----
myspace.com/broadcastingsilence
11.03.2010 - 01:18
Got Mayhem?
I play alot of different music so

Standard E
Drop D
Open C Major
C#
Drop C

Probably more, I would play lower tunings like A,B,F#... but I'm lacking of a 7/8 string, high gauge strings, or an ERG.
----
17.04.2010 - 02:07
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
For Thrash:

Standard D (one step down)
D G C F A D

For Death:
Standard C (two steps down)
C F Gb Cb G C
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
17.04.2010 - 22:54
Sunioj
I want to buy a used P-bass and get the sucker modified down to standard A. It's gonna be bad ass.
14.05.2010 - 07:37
A question about C# tuning

I've experimented with alternate tuning several times and here is something that doesn't make sense.

E - standard tuning
Eb - .5 step
D - 1 step

now from what I've learned from online lessons and from online instructors, drop C is 1 step on all the strings and then an extra step on the bottom 6th string, right?

Well, I have tuned my guitar to C# over and over and every time I do, all the other strings (except for the bottom 6th string) sound like Eb tuning. Is that supposed to be so or what am I missing?
----
I'd rather like what I like because I like it, despite if everyone hates me for it, then like what I hate just to be accepted by you.
15.05.2010 - 21:00
Don Martin
le fu-
Standard, Drop D, D or Drop C (or what the hell you call all that...)
----
What a tackastrophe!
18.05.2010 - 06:04
DIE_by_my_HAND
I play a six string bass, and my tuning (atm) is:
C D A D G C
----
And music: well it's just entertainment folks!!
-Devin Townsend
31.07.2010 - 20:00
Sangre Sani
Standard E, sometimes D#.

In my opinion standard tune kicks ass more than those low tunings.