Metal Storm logo
Woods Of Ypres

15.06.2006 - 18:16
Detric
King Of Twilight
You either hate or love this band, I love it. They are from Canada and well known of playing melodic 'summer black metal'. I know it sounds really stupid, but I think it works out pretty well. They released a demo called Against The Seasons in 2002 which was re-released in 2005. Then they released a full-length called Pursuit Of The Sun & Allure Of The Earth, great album in my opinion. The debut is more black metallish and has a more raw sound to it, while their full-length is far more melodic with alot of clean vocals, but still good, I cant decide which one I like the best. Most people Ive talked to about this band, usually say the music is fantastic, but the vocals are boring and unsteady. But thats actually what I like about David Gold's vocals, they are unique, and I think his vocals fits the music perfectly! Have anyone lisnted to Woods Of Ypres, if you have, what are your thoughts about them? For those who dont know, they will release a new album this year called Woods III.

Taken form their website:

"The new record will mark a return to the harsher, colder sound of the original demo, while also pushing new boundaries and exploring new musical ideas"

Im really looking forward to this. For those of you who havent heard Woods Of Ypres go to www.woodsofypres.ca there are some songs you can streame directly from the website.
15.06.2006 - 23:09
Soliloquy
a Metalstormer used to be a part of that band. he used to play keys for the band, but then quit after a while...

holer, where are you?
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
16.06.2006 - 00:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
This are great melodic black metal band from Canada, thenk's to metalstorm i discovere them some tiem ago and dounloud 2 songs from home page
I realy enjoy them lyrics and misuc, specely 'Inm The Meating place And Time" i just try translate this lyriv in latvian language.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.06.2006 - 03:52
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I had heard and read sometimes that this band represents "a new bliss for black metal" and stuff like that... I wouldn't go so far, they're one more band playing Melodic Black Metal not very original and there are better groups playing the same, but Woods Of Ypres stand certainly aove the average... I own "Against The Seasons" and it's pretty cool but not really worth the buzz.
16.06.2006 - 17:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Author on 16.06.2006 at 03:52

I had heard and read sometimes that this band represents "a new bliss for black metal" and stuff like that... I wouldn't go so far, they're one more band playing Melodic Black Metal not very original and there are better groups playing the same, but Woods Of Ypres stand certainly aove the average... I own "Against The Seasons" and it's pretty cool but not really worth the buzz.

man this band are great and amazing, read them lyrivs its most poetical band of MB M because read lrivs I cant fuind better band, but maybe in France or Italy are some good poetical bands

BTE thay are from Canada what language thay speek english or french?
----

apos;'
[image]
16.06.2006 - 17:48
AntaeusM
Elite
I move this topic to the extreme metal forum..since it is a black metal band. No matter it is melodic and about summer
16.06.2006 - 18:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by AntaeusM on 16.06.2006 at 17:48

I move this topic to the extreme metal forum..since it is a black metal band. No matter it is melodic and about summer

yep but I still think its shood be in melodic metal forum, like furneal doom in extrieme

But summer :lol; man I better listen about summer how some scandic metal bands
"Wnter, my home
kill summer
darkness rulles
snow kill south'

Man if I read that kind a lrivc i can get could, best tempreture ar+30*C in shadow

But maybe I dont undesrstand you and what you try say about summer
----

apos;'
[image]
16.06.2006 - 18:08
AntaeusM
Elite
Written by Bad English on 16.06.2006 at 18:01

yep but I still think its shood be in melodic metal forum, like furneal doom in extrieme

"Wnter, my home
kill summer
darkness rulles
snow kill south'

Man if I read that kind a lrivc i can get could, best tempreture ar+30*C in shadow

I just said it as a joke. Don't take it too seriously Woods of Ypres are melodic black metal, and all forms of black metal are discussed in the extreme metal forum. There are NO exceptions. And about funeral doom, I am not familair enough with the genre to give my opinion about that.

I find it kinda difficult to understand what you are trying to say at the begin of your message. Do you mean you rather listen to Scandinivian bands when it is summer? I could agree with that, but I don't think that Woods of Ypres had such a "warm" sound that you will get it hot. Same goes for most Scandinavian bands, they aren't that cold. At least, I would rather listen to Immortal when it is at the heart of winter( ) then when it is freakin' hot outside.
16.06.2006 - 18:14
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
ive heard OF this band but haven't actually heard their music. ill try and downlaod a few tracks now but the idea of listening to music about summertime that is melodic goes against my face-paint-and-living-in-the-woods lifestyle.

websites taking its time to load
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
16.06.2006 - 18:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by AntaeusM on 16.06.2006 at 18:08

"Wnter, my home
kill summer
darkness rulles
snow kill south'

I just said it as a joke. Don't take it too seriously Woods of Ypres are melodic black metal, and all forms of black metal are discussed in the extreme metal forum. There are NO exceptions. And about funeral doom, I am not familair enough with the genre to give my opinion about that.

I find it kinda difficult to understand what you are trying to say at the begin of your message. Do you mean you rather listen to Scandinivian bands when it is summer? I could agree with that, but I don't think that Woods of Ypres had such a "warm" sound that you will get it hot. Same goes for most Scandinavian bands, they aren't that cold. At least, I would rather listen to Immortal when it is at the heart of winter( ) then when it is freakin' hot outside.

Well about furnmeal doom try www.doom-metal.com pic furneal doom and there are bands and some bands has songs

I just try say i love summer, hot sunny summer, and when I listen some Scandinavian bands its geting cold, songs are aboutt darkness, coldness, how winter rape world, ice and so its getting cold when I think about it
But thay had reason, there summer are 3 weeks, I mean hot summer, other year are cold, rainy and snow,
Immrtal, Borknogar, well i like Norvwgian and Finish metal, Swedish not so, no good bands, only 10%, but I just want proove Italian, Franch, german metal are lowe raited, thay had good, poetical, techical bands, what are non popluar, bbut finish band who shood be not know are popular,

Woods Of Ypres, I dunno I never had been in canada, so i cant tell what climet are there, and from what thay are inspirated, I know good about europe, other continets not so, but thay dont bring evil in music, thay are not so satanic band how Scandinavian bnds, dunno but seems thay are like Arcturus.
----

apos;'
[image]
17.06.2006 - 02:02
AntaeusM
Elite
Written by Bad English on 16.06.2006 at 18:27

Well about furnmeal doom try www.doom-metal.com pic furneal doom and there are bands and some bands has songs

I just try say i love summer, hot sunny summer, and when I listen some Scandinavian bands its geting cold, songs are aboutt darkness, coldness, how winter rape world, ice and so its getting cold when I think about it
But thay had reason, there summer are 3 weeks, I mean hot summer, other year are cold, rainy and snow,
Immrtal, Borknogar, well i like Norvwgian and Finish metal, Swedish not so, no good bands, only 10%, but I just want proove Italian, Franch, german metal are lowe raited, thay had good, poetical, techical bands, what are non popluar, bbut finish band who shood be not know are popular,

Woods Of Ypres, I dunno I never had been in canada, so i cant tell what climet are there, and from what thay are inspirated, I know good about europe, other continets not so, but thay dont bring evil in music, thay are not so satanic band how Scandinavian bnds, dunno but seems thay are like Arcturus.

I know what funeral doom is..I am just not really into that genre, so I cannot say when it is extreme or melodic. Since I have only heard a few funeral doom bands.

"winter rape world"? lol. That would be something special.. I understand what you mean, but there is a certain limit to this "coldness" and "warmness". Music can be cold, but it cannot change a hot summer day.

Well, they like summer, so I guess they sing about stuff of a Canadian summer, but I have never read their lyrics, so I don't know for sure. Hm yes could be, let's just say they are a bit different than the other black metal bands. Not any black metal band is evil. Evil is just a silly term to explain their silly image.
17.06.2006 - 02:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by AntaeusM on 17.06.2006 at 02:02

Written by Bad English on 16.06.2006 at 18:27

I know what funeral doom is..I am just not really into that genre, so I cannot say when it is extreme or melodic. Since I have only heard a few funeral doom bands.

"winter rape world"? lol. That would be something special.. I understand what you mean, but there is a certain limit to this "coldness" and "warmness". Music can be cold, but it cannot change a hot summer day.

Well, they like summer, so I guess they sing about stuff of a Canadian summer, but I have never read their lyrics, so I don't know for sure. Hm yes could be, let's just say they are a bit different than the other black metal bands. Not any black metal band is evil. Evil is just a silly term to explain their silly image.

Man when august ends I think I gonna insane, sun are weeker, and in novembre when its snowing, you know how it feels when ouside are in - 31*C I had spend 3 weeks in winter inside i almoust get insane, thans about Scandic metal, dunno but scandic peolpe loves winter
Me I love hot summer

BM bands tha had mamy inspirations because like all bands around, nature, landscape, sadness, love, disapiere ....... even if thay live in big town, simmmilar bands from Amsterdam write diferent lirics how from Toronto, Bergen or Roma.

Evel, well ome bands can use satanic symbols, but some realy burn churces and stuff

Woods Of Ypress I add lyrics on MS you can read them there, I like in mearing place and time, I try translate it

Sorry for english, but Im werry werry tired
----

apos;'
[image]
17.06.2006 - 02:39
Detric
King Of Twilight
No offence Kariasakis7, I know your tired and everything, and my english isnt that good either. But it would be really cool if you just read your post before posting it, so you can change something that dosent sound right, or maybe sounds a bit confusing. I dont wanna sound like a dick or anything, but I only understand half of what your posting, again, this is not an insult but im just asking you to read your post before posting, thanks alot mate!
17.06.2006 - 11:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Detric on 17.06.2006 at 02:39

No offence Kariasakis7, I know your tired and everything, and my english isnt that good either. But it would be really cool if you just read your post before posting it, so you can change something that dosent sound right, or maybe sounds a bit confusing. I dont wanna sound like a dick or anything, but I only understand half of what your posting, again, this is not an insult but im just asking you to read your post before posting, thanks alot mate!

Dude lst post was in night and I was tired from booze, and in MS new werse are no preview button
dude I try so hard write corect in english but seems maybe only death change me
----

apos;'
[image]
17.06.2006 - 13:42
Detric
King Of Twilight
Im sorry if I offended you, that wasnt my intention.
17.06.2006 - 18:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Detric on 17.06.2006 at 13:42

Im sorry if I offended you, that wasnt my intention.

Dude you dont say nothing, all what people say to me:'Im idiot, shat up, go to hell, Bastard." i think how joke, becaus eyou know metalheads talk in metal languege and i dont mind abou it, I understand joke from harsh so take it easy
----

apos;'
[image]
03.11.2006 - 01:24
Detric
King Of Twilight
A new track from their forthcoming album has been posted online!

The Northern Cold

Fucking amazing, cant wait.
03.11.2006 - 09:58
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Me neither, till I get home and listen to it.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
05.11.2006 - 15:32
Detric
King Of Twilight
Travis Smith has made some awesome cover artwork for this album:

05.11.2006 - 17:12
Vidrageon
Account deleted
I love this band, fantastic atmosphere.
05.11.2006 - 17:39
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Wow nice artwork!!

That song is good stuff.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
05.11.2006 - 19:25
Basso
Account deleted
Didnt like the vocals at all. The guitars was awesome though.
08.11.2006 - 00:06
TheDamned
Account deleted
The artwork is really amazing . I can't wait for the new album , although I rather liked Pursuit of the sun ... : it seems they're returning to the more aggressive sound of Against the Seasons , well could be really good , the track is really underproduced but it sounds already good . Let's see . (And David Gold seemed really cool when I talked to him by email ) .
Edit Just saw there is a new song up on their myspace, but it won't load .
29.07.2007 - 19:47
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
just got Against The Seasons and its such unique BM. Ill definitly be looking for more albums by this band. If thats there first demo I can only imagine how good the actual albums sound.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
29.07.2007 - 21:22
Pinusar
Account deleted
I listened to a couple of their songs, I am not too impressed, but still I liked them, Especially the "doomier" parts. Im not too fond of the vocals but this might be a band that I need to hear a whole album of to understand them better and then maybe I would like it more too.
12.01.2008 - 23:09
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
At last the new album has been released
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
12.01.2008 - 23:27
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
hm...The Norhtern Cold...summer metal like hell
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

13.01.2008 - 05:58
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Their new album has some good songs, especially the extremely catchy "Your Ontario Town Is A Burial Ground", but it has a lot of filler too. Its 72 minutes make it an absolutely overlong album. But it's pretty decent still, I'll look forward the original cd because a few songs make it worthy. Don't expect black metal though, as more than half of the vocals are clean, and be prepared for some VERY cheesy lyrics.
13.01.2008 - 10:58
FOOCK Nam
An excellent band. I love all their songs. IMO they are influenced by Suomi metal, also ranging from many genres from doom to black, maybe... Im more interested in their Against The Seasons than other lately stuff, because its more extreme and deeper.
13.01.2008 - 11:08
FOOCK Nam

"Wnter, my home
kill summer
darkness rulles
snow kill south'

Which are these lyric words from? or you made it?