03. Jagd
04. Freitanz
05. Sehnlauf
06. Flügel In Fels
07. Meer
08. Aufbruch
09. Dem Wind Geboren
10. Zauberzeichen

Dornenreich's music is quite different now. At the beginning of their career, the band was into melodic Black Metal but their new album "In Luft geritzt" is an album of ambient and acoustic Folk Rock. This is a radical change definitely but when you know the success of bands like Alcest I don't think that it's a bad idea. This new album is special for sure but if you like mediaeval ambiances and acoustic Folk tunes, I'm sure that you'll like it a lot.

If you're looking for heavy and speed Metal here, I'm sorry to tell you that you'll be disappointed. Dornenreich is not a Black Metal band anymore and on a side this is not really problematic. I mean that we have a ton of melodic Black Metal bands anyway but not a lot of good dark Ambiant Folk bands. As I said just above, a band like Alcest did the same change and when you see how good were the words about their last album it was probably not a bad thing. The last Dornenreich is in the same category then, and the band plays some kind of Dark Folk acoustic music. The two musicians only play with acoustic bass and guitars and violin. No percussions or drums and of course no electric guitars are featured on the CD. This is dark and melancholic but really beautiful and touching but the lyrics are in German and even if I like this language in general I don't find it really beautiful and tender on such music. On the other hand it gives a real mediaeval aspect which is not so displeasing.

The ten songs of "In Luft geritzt" are really good and well produced. We have a really good general Celtic and mediaeval ambiance on the CD an it will probably be perfect for all the people who like ambient music like Folk (Metal or not). You have to know too that the "singer" doesn't clearly sing on the CD, his vocals are some kind of whisperings, this is original and give an interesting disturbing face to the album.

"In Luft geritzt" is a lovely original album. Even if it's not really Metal I'm sure that the Metalheads will like to listen to this release. Remember their dark Folk acoustic Metal is not so common and can be disturbing but at least this peaceful album will be a good way to regenerate your batteries. If you're bored by Death, Black Metal and other brutal music and want to listen to calm and beautiful tunes, have a look on "In Luft geritzt", this album is a great surprise.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written by Jeff | 25.05.2008

Comments

Comments: 12   Visited by: 129 users
26.05.2008 - 02:41
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
I can't understand why only a 7.8 if you only praised the album. Regardless, definitely going to check it out.
26.05.2008 - 03:06
Rating: 9
Varegan
Hamranakara
thats a good album and metal enough to get over 8 !!!
I feel there is a strange similarity between markus stock and Jochen Stock
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
26.05.2008 - 03:26
Promonex
Cathemeral
Dornenreich has always been one of those bands that dares to change a lot with each and every album. In this context it is not really surprising that they have turned to pure acoustic music this time around. I agree with Gorothrim that comparisons with Empyrium might have been more adequate than with Alcest though. But who am I to be judge, I haven't really checked out "In Luft Geritzt" yet.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
26.05.2008 - 11:24
Witcher

Written by Varegan on 26.05.2008 at 03:06

thats a good album and metal enough to get over 8 !!!
I feel there is a strange similarity between markus stock and Jochen Stock

Ablah to ta hala Dornenreich goosh dadi?
Translation:Yes you are in right:D
26.05.2008 - 14:27
Freezer

Written by Promonex on 26.05.2008 at 03:26

Dornenreich has always been one of those bands that dares to change a lot with each and every album. In this context it is not really surprising that they have turned to pure acoustic music this time around. I agree with Gorothrim that comparisons with Empyrium might have been more adequate than with Alcest though. But who am I to be judge, I haven't really checked out "In Luft Geritzt" yet.
I agree, and I definitely have to listen to this album. Dornenreich has been one of my favourite bands in the last couple of years
----
We fly through this godless endeavor, we try to explain the black forever
26.05.2008 - 17:00
FOOCK Nam

Is this album music style similar to the Weiland of Empyrium?
26.05.2008 - 21:22
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I love this band... I only own Hexnwind but it's a damn good album, this shit seems to be in a similar vein so I'l check it out.
25.09.2008 - 01:38
Rating: 7
HardSide

It's definately a wierd album finally got the chance to listen to it, its unique in its own right, however it is lacking something, 7.5 would be what i would rate it as. Definately has potential. The harsh vocals give a nice touch to the soft acoustic tone.
07.10.2009 - 12:15
Turpe

Rated 9.8
03.03.2011 - 10:09
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
After almost three years I listened to it. I've never heard such an aggressive album using only acoustic instruments. In a way I would agree the use of German doesn't fit but it also adds to the power and aggression in the album which probably wouldn't work in any other language.
06.09.2011 - 17:19
Lokaeda
Account deleted
Am I the only one who found a double-cd version with (as written on the cds) a "normal" and a "instrumental" version, when both cds are eventually the exact same?
05.06.2021 - 13:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Well I agree its well produced, good studio work, but still horrible album, same whit Alcest ... firts was OK, rest is .... bad.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 6855 | This month: 6