Metal Storm logo
Favorite Black Sabbath album with Ozzy?

Original post

Posted by IronBlackZepp, 24.02.2009 - 07:53
Black Sabbath and Paranoid were both released in 1970, they are often thought of as the first heavy metal albums. They are still two of Sabbaths darkest releases to date. Master of Reality was released just a year later, and is oftin sited as the bands heaviest album.

In 1972 the band decided to make a stile change with vol 4. The album was very experimental, As was their next release in 1975 which was Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, these two efforts were not as dark as the first 3. While the first 3 had songs like Black Sabbath, NIB, War Pigs, and Children or the Grave, which included themes of war and satin, the next two would feature more songs about drugs and being high. Not completely, but it was definently a theme in vol 4 and SBS, with songs like snowblind and killinig yourself to live, it was done before with hand of doom but in a darker fashion.

Sabotage is one of sabbaths more underrated efforts, it was a very solid album with songs like hole in the sky and symtom of the universe. The last two albums with Ozzy, Technical Ecstacy and Never Say Die are oftin considred to be the two weakest efforts of the Ozzy Osbourne era of Black Sabbath, but their are still people out their who like these albums.

So pick the album that is your favorite of these.

Poll

Pick you favorite!

Paranoid
Master of Reality
Black Sabbath
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Sabotage
Vol 4
Cant Choose
Technical Ecstacy
Never Say Die

Total votes: 124
26.01.2010 - 18:11
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I'm surprised that nobody voted for Never say die... i know it's not the best but it is alright... i guess...
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
21.03.2010 - 02:54
Aebsi

My favorite is Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, I grew up with those songs (even though I wasn't born until ten years later) along with Metallica being constantly played, so that album is more personal for me
----
Just be Yourself
13.04.2010 - 22:08
Jodde

The albums I like best from Black Sabbath i Master of Reality, with Sabotage as a good nr. 2.
04.06.2010 - 21:46
Gordon Freeman

Master of Reality is my personal favorite, mostly because of Children of the Grave.

Also, I like the fact that there is a little more speed on this one than on previous albums.

Sabotage and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath are close behind.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
22.05.2011 - 02:37
king_matt

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love all these albums. But I gotta go with the classic Paranoid. Every track on it is phenominal. It was a really difficult decision, though.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
23.05.2011 - 14:08
tuthitamlut

1. Sabotage
2. Master of Reality
3. Vol. 4
4. Paranoid
5. Black Sabbath
6. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
7. Never Say Die
8. Technical Ecstasy
26.05.2011 - 05:25
Void_Eater
Account deleted
^Nice avatar, Satan is awesome.

Anyways... Tough choice. Master of Reality is heavy as hell, Volume 4 has some killer heavy tunes and some nice experimental tunes, Paranoid is a classic of course, and Sabotage has Megalomania, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath has it's first two songs which are among my favorites from the Ozzy era... Would be a decision between Master of Reality and Sabotage. I think Sabotage would win. Megalomania is my favorite Sabbath song, Symptom of the Universe is one of the first thrash songs, Hole in the Sky and Thrill of it All just rock, the Writ is a solid song, and the remaining tunes are solid themselves.
22.07.2011 - 14:20
listmor

Written by Boxcar Willy on 26.01.2010 at 18:11

I'm surprised that nobody voted for Never say die... i know it's not the best but it is alright... i guess...

I agree wholeheartedly. I went for Black Sabbath but I can listen to Never Say Die all day. But all the ozzy albums are superb. That is Superb with a Capital S.
23.07.2011 - 00:38
blacktooth85

This is a tough one. I find myself having a different favorite every so often. Right now I've been listening to "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" alot. I love Sabbra Cadabra, along with Killing Yourself to Live... Overall "Black Sabbath" and "Master of Reality" have always been my personal favorites. I love "Paranoid" too. That album is the most overplayed though. Electric Funeral and Hand of Doom are killer.... Vol. 4 has probably my favorite Iommi riff, Supernaut. The 1st 6 Sabbath albums are all classics.
16.08.2011 - 05:37
SlaytanicGonzo

The best Riff album of all time, Master Of Reality
16.08.2011 - 16:09
Jirpo

Paranoid is my favourite.
23.08.2011 - 16:07
HoleInTheSky1985

Written by Aebsi on 21.03.2010 at 02:54

My favorite is Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, I grew up with those songs (even though I wasn't born until ten years later) along with Metallica being constantly played, so that album is more personal for me

Same for me, My Dad was a huge Sabbath Fan and used to bust this out on Vinyl for me when I was younger, good times:)
23.08.2011 - 20:47
Deefer46

They're all fuckin' great.
12.01.2014 - 00:03
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Sabbath bloody Sabbath for me. It has a great variety to it and has some of their most diverse and inventive songwriting to date.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
15.01.2014 - 19:38
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Master of Reality is my favourite Sabbath album. Half an hour of great songs.

Odd to see Vol. 4 that low.
16.01.2014 - 15:02
LLTNF
Account deleted
This is a tough one but I went with Master Of Reality. In some ways it feels like their "darkest" album to me and I just love the record's overall flow, mood and songwriting though, without question, the first six albums with Ozzy are all masterful.
16.01.2014 - 23:16
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Guest on 16.01.2014 at 15:02

This is a tough one but I went with Master Of Reality. In some ways it feels like their "darkest" album to me and I just love the record's overall flow, mood and songwriting though, without question, the first six albums with Ozzy are all masterful.

That was exactly my thinking as well! We are of like mind.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
26.01.2014 - 13:37
Infernal Eternal

Master of reality has always been one of my favorite albums of all time.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
04.07.2014 - 12:19
Yossarian

Their first album for me. They made a revolution with it.
08.01.2022 - 11:28
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro

This here is a great discussion on Paranoid vs Master of Reality. These guys compared similar tracks and came to the conclusion that Paranoid wins 5-3. However, they did point out that, as a whole album, Master of Reality flows better and the songs work together so that the sum is greater than its parts.

I definitely prefer Master of Reality, even though these guys in the podcast made some good arguments for Paranoid's classic Side A.
What do you guys think?
08.01.2022 - 11:52
JoHn Doe

Vol. 4 is my favorite album with Ozzy.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
08.01.2022 - 13:56
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Written by F3ynman2000 on 08.01.2022 at 11:28

This here is a great discussion on Paranoid vs Master of Reality. These guys compared similar tracks and came to the conclusion that Paranoid wins 5-3. However, they did point out that, as a whole album, Master of Reality flows better and the songs work together so that the sum is greater than its parts.

I definitely prefer Master of Reality, even though these guys in the podcast made some good arguments for Paranoid's classic Side A.
What do you guys think?

Your right Master Of Reality does certainly flow much better, and was better produced, the guitar sound and heavy bass was extraordinary considering it's time, I would also argue that it was the very first introduction to the style of doom metal. So overall I would say Master Of Reality is the better album, despite Paranoid being my favourite, simply because for me it has so much nostalgia, aswel as containing some of of my favourite iconic songs like "War Pigs", "Hand Of Doom" and "Iron Man". For some reason the album takes me back, and gives me such a buzz everytime I listen to it.
08.01.2022 - 22:22
Metal Rasputin

Tough choice between Paranoid and Master of Reality. The first one has so much charm, but the title track isn't that good to be honest. The latter is dirtier and heavier and I just love it, but the production sounds very dry at certain points. I can always skip single songs but I can't change the production, so it's Paranoid, baby.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
10.01.2022 - 09:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Metal Rasputin on 08.01.2022 at 22:22

Tough choice between Paranoid and Master of Reality. The first one has so much charm, but the title track isn't that good to be honest. The latter is dirtier and heavier and I just love it, but the production sounds very dry at certain points. I can always skip single songs but I can't change the production, so it's Paranoid, baby.

Fist one was BS

About Paranoid . I have heard a story they had small place left on vinyl and they came up whit 2 min jaming song to fill a space, what later became their success song.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.01.2022 - 10:00
JoHn Doe

Written by Bad English on 10.01.2022 at 09:54

Fist one was BS

About Paranoid . I have heard a story they had small place left on vinyl and they came up whit 2 min jaming song to fill a space, what later became their success song.

when he said "the first one", he means the the first album he mentions there, which is "Paranoid".
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
31.01.2022 - 21:55
gavdann

Written by JoHn Doe on 10.01.2022 at 10:00

Fist one was BS

when he said "the first one", he means the the first album he mentions there, which is "Paranoid".

The first half is complete sonic perfection but the second side of Paranoid has a bit too much proggy noodling for my taste.

Master of Reality got my vote.
31.01.2022 - 22:28
JoHn Doe

Written by gavdann on 31.01.2022 at 21:55

Written by JoHn Doe on 10.01.2022 at 10:00

Fist one was BS

The first half is complete sonic perfection but the second side of Paranoid has a bit too much proggy noodling for my taste.

Master of Reality got my vote.

You should have quoted Metal Rambo, not me, but anyway.
I voted for Vol.4, that's my favorite for BS.

Master of Reality is awesome, no surprise so many love it.

As for "the second side of Paranoid has a bit too much proggy noodling", good, that's why I love it.
----
02.02.2022 - 11:19
gavdann

Written by JoHn Doe on 31.01.2022 at 22:28

I voted for Vol.4, that's my favorite for BS.

Master of Reality is awesome, no surprise so many love it.

As for "the second side of Paranoid has a bit too much proggy noodling", good, that's why I love it.

Must admit I've only ever listened to their first five albums but I picked up second hand copies of Paranoid & Master on vinyl at the weekend so I've been playing them quite a bit over the past few days.

I'm not a big fan of prog generally but in the right mood for sure. I do prefer it when they just rock out though.
20.03.2022 - 03:13
Drippy.Hippie

I voted for Paranoid, but honestly, for me it's a toss up between Paranoid and (the self titled) Black Sabbath.
----
What is the difference between the man who fools you from the pulpit, and the other man who fools you from the platform?
Both of them seek to obtain power over you - To rule your mind, control your property interests or labor power.