Metal Storm logo
Plz recommend me best Doom Metal albums you heard (I preffer unfamous)

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 27.11.2009 - 18:03
I like Doom Metal and want to know more about nice albums and bands. plz just recommend nice albums or even songs over here and discuss about them. not important if its famous either. I recommend you to take alook at Forest Of Shadows's "Where Dreams Turn To Dust" EP album. and surely take a look "Eternal Autumn" which is in that album either. but find the self-released one which is not in the cd, its more nice I think. and the other song which I recommend you is "Black God" by MDB, which one of the best Doom songs Ive ever heard! a song which doesnt have any Drums, Bass and Guitars! just Keboards (MDB have other songs like this). I have a tattoo on my breast called Black God by old english font hehe! but not as my nick screams! a normal one!
20.12.2009 - 12:27
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Funeral - "From These Wounds" a nice depressive doom album.
24.12.2009 - 00:50
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
I think, Draconian Times by Paradise Lost is one of best metal albums ever. cant say its a doom metal. for me its style is somthing like Black Album by Metallica cant say what is the genre. but a lot of people counts this album as a gothic or doom album.
24.12.2009 - 01:19
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
@Azhidahak,

I heard "Symbol Of Life", it was in your list, really cant find any doom atmosphere man. and its one of their (Paradise Lost) albums which I can erase from their history as "Host" and as "One Second". I only liked "Xavier".

Edit: cant say "Two Worlds" and "Pray Nightfall" are bad songs, they are the other nice songs in this album, really liked them after I listened to this album for the 10 or 11th round.
28.12.2009 - 17:29
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
I strongly recommend you to lsiten to Uaral's "Sounds of Pain" (Specially Niche) and their other works are all ok IMO.
04.01.2010 - 09:48
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Recommend you to take a look at "The Passage Back To Life" by Ashes You Leave, its a nice album IMO with a female vocalist. but this is their only album which I care about it.
11.01.2010 - 11:14
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
"Turning Season Within" by hilarious swedish Draconian, a very nice Gothic/Doom album. and IMO one of the best of Gothic and Doom in 2008.
11.01.2010 - 11:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=31891] on 11.01.2010 at 11:14

...by hilarious swedish Draconian...

Hilarious? what's so funny about Draconian?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.01.2010 - 11:36
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.01.2010 at 11:29

Written by [user id=31891] on 11.01.2010 at 11:14

...by hilarious swedish Draconian...

Hilarious? what's so funny about Draconian?

hahahaha, Marcel it was my worst english fault in these forums. piss myslef laughing! I meant something like Hail. hahahha sorry!
11.01.2010 - 20:42
I'm completly new to doom metal, anyone know a good album for starter? Maybe I can find something that suits me in this genre, I just didn't look the good way I hope. Can you tell me where I should begin with Marcel's list? Thanks.
----
We just have one life... SO LISTEN TO METAL!!!!
11.01.2010 - 21:13
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Burning Winter on 11.01.2010 at 20:42

I'm completly new to doom metal, anyone know a good album for starter? Maybe I can find something that suits me in this genre, I just didn't look the good way I hope. Can you tell me where I should begin with Marcel's list? Thanks.

if I was you. I would start with My Dying Bride (Turn Loose The Swans for example), Trouble, Saint Vitus, Anathema (early), Paradise Lost (early) for know traditions. but I strongly Recommend anyone to try "Martyr" by "Saturnus".
12.01.2010 - 10:57
ToMegaTherion
I will recommend a few but they have probably already been mentioned at some point, but anyway...
You can't be a Doom fan and not appreciate MDB so the highly recommended albums would be

Songs of Darkness Words of Light, Like Gods to the Sun, The Light at the End of the World, The Dreadful Hours (All of these albums hold a great deal of weight in the world of Doom metal MDB are for me true masters of Doom

Other bands I will recommend are Catherdrel (I've listened to individual songs more than albums, but they are very good and worth a listen), Anathema (They have gone through a vast change in style over the years, their early stuff was Death/Doom, but later they became a kind of dreary, folky, bluesy blend of shit on their last few albums, however one of the later era that is worth it is Judgement, it is very good and rather enjoyable), Katatonia (not exactly Doom, more Avantgarde or folk, Their latest works are well worth getting if you are a Doom fan you will most certainly appreciate it), Candlemass (These guys are something special, the album they have a few must have Doom albums, but one I will give special mention to in 'King of the Grey Island' it is an outstanding album, also their new album is worth it too I have it amongst my collection and cant think of the name).
12.01.2010 - 15:23
DoOm MaKeR
Morgion - Cloaked by Ages, Crowned in Earth
Until Death Overtakes Me - Prelude to Monoloth
Until Death Overtakes Me - Symphony III: Monolith
Skepticism - Lead and Aether
Mourning Beloveth - Dust

You gotta find Skepticism's "The March of the Stream"...
----
knowing that i'm doomed. hundreds of volumes of text. pictures, words, learning. my love, my art, my knowledge...covered by the arms of the sea.
Morgion - Ebb Tide
12.01.2010 - 15:36
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by DoOm MaKeR on 12.01.2010 at 15:23

Mourning Beloveth - Dust

Im new to "Untill Death Overtakes Me" but really liked it. but you have to be the man to be a fan of them! long long songs, but really nice.
12.01.2010 - 16:23
DoOm MaKeR
Written by [user id=31891] on 12.01.2010 at 15:36

Mourning Beloveth - Dust

Im new to "Untill Death Overtakes Me" but really liked it. but you have to be the man to be a fan of them! long long songs, but really nice.

Indeed Until Death Overtakes Me are kings! Best time to listen to them is when you are deserted in some totally dark place and you have nothing in your mind but sad and sorrow

Hey let me recommend you something different too; a Jordanian band called Bilocate http://www.unsigned.com/bilocate

Listen to their songs: Days of Joy - Shrouded - and Passage.

Enjoy the despair my friend
----
knowing that i'm doomed. hundreds of volumes of text. pictures, words, learning. my love, my art, my knowledge...covered by the arms of the sea.
Morgion - Ebb Tide
13.01.2010 - 22:48
zsz
Nortt - Gudsforladt

The song "Död og borte" from that album is one of the most depressive pieces of music I've heard
----
My mind is sharp, like a razors edge, my soul's gone mad.
14.01.2010 - 22:23
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by DoOm MaKeR on 12.01.2010 at 16:23

Written by [user id=31891] on 12.01.2010 at 15:36

Mourning Beloveth - Dust

Indeed Until Death Overtakes Me are kings! Best time to listen to them is when you are deserted in some totally dark place and you have nothing in your mind but sad and sorrow

Hey let me recommend you something different too; a Jordanian band called Bilocate http://www.unsigned.com/bilocate

Listen to their songs: Days of Joy - Shrouded - and Passage.

Enjoy the despair my friend

nice band, I found them on last.fm.
25.07.2010 - 23:22
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Mistress of the Dead, this is Doom-metal.com's this month pick and it was nice for me. I tried their last album and I liked it somehow.
----
Kiss my ass if you dont like me, I dont care.
21.09.2010 - 03:06
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Well you have to listen to http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/review.php?review_id=8376 , thankzi the RozziGarteni!
----
Kiss my ass if you dont like me, I dont care.
23.09.2010 - 21:20
Jötun
Fuck all this fringe crap.
Go with some early Trouble, Candlemass, any Solitude Aeturnus, Saint Vitus.
Or if you like doom-death then go with the first 3 Paradise Lost albums.
It pretty much starts and ends there.

If someone suggests something like Draconian without even mentioning MDB then you should shoot them in the face.
24.09.2010 - 01:24
Ancient Dreams by Candlemass and Escalation by NecronomicoN.
13.10.2010 - 23:10
Jan
Written by ToMegaTherion on 12.01.2010 at 10:57

You can't be a Doom fan and not appreciate MDB

WTF?! I find them quite boring to be honest.

Written by Jötun on 23.09.2010 at 21:20

Fuck all this fringe crap.
Go with some early Trouble, Candlemass, any Solitude Aeturnus, Saint Vitus.

Well said

I'm strictly into trad/epic doom (and throw in some stoner for good measure). In other words: I couldn't care less about Death/Doom, Funeral, Drone etc - perhaps it could technically be called doom - but it's damn sure not what I consider real doom.

Ok, with that out of the way, here's some recommendations from what I listen to at the moment:

Argus: S/T - This is more doomy metal, than straight doom. But damn good music.

Briton Rites: S/T - A 2010 debut but from experienced hands. This is just filled with great riffs and great songs.

Candlemass: Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
Candlemass: Nightfall

(They have released many great albums - if you just avoid the 90s albums, all the rest is very worthy)

Doomsword: Resound the Horn - Epic doom from Italy- one of my top rated albums

Dreaming: II - German underground - not for everybody I think, but I enjoy this a lot.

Forsaken: After the Fall - Trad doom from Malta, very very good, almost beats Candlemass at their own game

Grand Magus: Monument - Doomish stonerish metal. Not necessarily their best album, but their most doomy

Internal Void: Matricide - trad, midtempo, with some stoner vibes. Only album I have, so in theory the others could be even better.

The Lamp Of Thoth: Sing As You Slay - UK Trio, really special and quirky, perhaps not for everybody

Leather Nun (America): Tools Of The New Church - oldschool and groovy, this is the good stuff.

Lord Vicar: Fear No Pain - Crushingly heavy, with some quite catchy and melodic vocals. (On some tracks at least)

Orchid: Through The Devil's Doorway - Sabbath territory, done really well. This is their demo - full length will be out later in 2010.

Procession: The Cult Of Disease - From Chile and a fast rising star. Really good, first full length will be out later in 2010.

Semlah: S/T - Another Swedish band, this is their first full length from 2009 - stock full of great tracks

Sinister Realm: Sinister Realm - Borderline heavy metal, but quality nonetheless

Thunderstorm: Sad Symphony - an Italian band not often mentioned on the interwebs, which is a shame as they are quite good.

Trouble: Psalm9 - One of the pioners, this, their first full lenght is a classic.

Warning: Watching From A Distance - Melancholy in distilled form

Wishdoom: Winds Of War - This is a newish greek band, playing something that sounds like a mix between Candlemass, Manowar and Iron Maiden. A lot of fun.
14.10.2010 - 07:05
Jan
So they are - thanks - corrected
06.12.2010 - 10:14
BudDa
Elite
Take a look at Polish band Blindead which is a mixture of sludge and doom metal. Their new album Affliction XXIX II MXMVI is still streaming in its entirety at their myspace page
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
06.12.2010 - 17:22
Luneth
Account deleted
The Morning Never Came- Swallow the Sun

-Best ever-
07.12.2010 - 04:25
The Turbanator
Swallow the Sun is amazing.

Also, Evoken! Fucking amazing.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
07.12.2010 - 04:52
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
I am not the biggest Doom fan, but check out Atlantean Kodex's The Golden Bough. Definitely one of my favourite releases in 2010 (= It's melodic and the vocals are very expansive (well, Epic Doom Metal), coupled with memorable songwriting, though I have not seen anyone talk about it here
----
loves 小巫
07.12.2010 - 10:41
FOOCK Nam
Slumber - 2004 one is not bad, not to say very excellent.
11.12.2010 - 22:23
ForeverDarkWoods
Are there any opinions on Blood Ceremony over here. I personally think their album is one of the coolest releases I've come across in some time.

----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
11.12.2010 - 22:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 11.12.2010 at 22:23

Are there any opinions on Blood Ceremony over here. I personally think their album is one of the coolest releases I've come across in some time.

Somehow I can't get into it, just like Jex Thoth, which is weird cause I immensely enjoy The Devil's Blood and Ghost which operate along the same lines.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.12.2010 - 22:57
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.12.2010 at 22:47

Somehow I can't get into it, just like Jex Thoth, which is weird cause I immensely enjoy The Devil's Blood and Ghost which operate along the same lines.

For me it's basically the other way around. The Devil's Blood is okay, but doesn't do much for me, and Ghost has like one song that I enjoy. Blood Ceremony on the other hand caught on with me straight away. I appreciate it mostly as a doom record though, while The Devil's Blood and Ghost are something else entirely.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America