Album: Convocation Of Crawling Chaos
Style: Death metal
Release date: May 2009

01. Intromantical Scream
02. Deathless Ascension
03. Convocation Of Crawling Chaos
04. Rotten Flesh Crucifix

"The aim of Cruciamentum [is] to play dark, claustrophobic death metal."

Upon listening to Cruciamentum's second demo, Convocation Of Crawling Chaos, I couldn't help but wonder if dungeon death metal will ever become an official genre. Sure it sounds incredibly lame, but that's really the best way to describe the band's sound, much like Impetuous Ritual or Ignivomous. It's true modern death metal: it's the new old-school, and according to the band members, it's a "spiked fist in the face of trendy death metal." Basically what you're in for is a paradoxical assault of the senses.

The album starts with an eerie introduction by the name of "Intromantical Scream", which could easily play background to a ritual sacrificial disembowelment if it were on infinite repeat. Immediately Cruciamentum begin blasting away, crushing all who oppose them with massive waves of droning guitars, creating a wall of desolation as D.B-H. absolutely terrorizes you with a careful selection of ferocious foot work and impeccable use of cymbals over the course of the next three tracks. This is crippling death metal done right, and these guys take no prisoners.

Convocation Of Crawling Chaos also presents the listener with extreme doomy passages, due mostly in part to D.L.'s deep growls and crunching guitar riffs. These elements all create a strong dungeon-esque feel, as if the members of Cruciamentum decided to record this demo in some ancient catacombs before raising the dead from their underground coffins (just for the hell of it, really).

And then of course this paralyzing demo comes to an untimely end. This was a very convincing release, raucous from start to finish, and it was enough of an impetus for Nuclear Winter Records to sign the band. With just 4 tracks to its name, Convocation Of Crawling Chaos will leave you gasping for breath beneath the rubble as the cave you're trapped in collapses. And they wouldn't have it any other way.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 28.04.2010 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 74 users
28.04.2010 - 23:15
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
If the demo sounds like this, I cant imagine how the quality a full-lenght will be... and also, dungeon death metal would be just great Refreshing for the genre.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
29.04.2010 - 02:11
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Great review Troy! I knew once I heard this that a review to alert people would be in order. I love "Dungeon Death Metal" as it kind of reminded me of The Chasm, with that old school sound.
----
The force will be with you, always.
29.04.2010 - 02:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Uirapuru on 28.04.2010 at 23:15

If the demo sounds like this, I cant imagine how the quality a full-lenght will be... and also, dungeon death metal would be just great Refreshing for the genre.

According to their MySpace page they're trying to release an MCD/EP by the end of the year and they have a record label as well, so if anything their sound should be more refined. I'm looking forward to these guys doing some damage.

Written by Clintagräm on 29.04.2010 at 02:11

Great review Troy! I knew once I heard this that a review to alert people would be in order. I love "Dungeon Death Metal" as it kinds of reminded me of The Chasm, with that old school sound.

Glad you liked it! And thank you for the indirect recommendation - I admit, at first I was skeptical because it was a demo and in my experience most demos don't provide that much joy, but this was just incredible. And I definitely agree with the reference to The Chasm, these guys are for real and should definitely be a force to be reckoned with. I'll just add these guys to the band watch for the future...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
31.12.2013 - 21:11
mz

Shame that this band split up. I think I prefer them over grave misema
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
31.12.2013 - 21:28
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by mz on 31.12.2013 at 21:11
Shame that this band split up.

"As some people (internet journalists, mainly) seem to be incapable of interpreting information, we would like to announce here, officially with no chance of misinterpretation, CRUCIAMENTUM HAS NOT SPLIT UP. Following a period of uncertainty towards future live activity, we are in the final stages of composing for our debut full length album and hope to start recording in 2014. No further details are available as yet. We are also open to offers for live dates in 2014." (Facebook)
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
31.12.2013 - 22:24
mz

Written by Troy Killjoy on 31.12.2013 at 21:28

news

thanks, that actually is great.
Btw, why are they mentioned as a defunct band everywhere on the net after all?
----
31.12.2013 - 22:51
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by mz on 31.12.2013 at 22:24
Btw, why are they mentioned as a defunct band everywhere on the net after all?

Not 100% sure. I think the band announced at some point that they were uncertain about their future in regards to live shows and someone took that and ran with it by labeling them as a split-up band. All I know is they've been updating their Facebook fairly regularly and have even done a couple shows this month so they definitely haven't quit.

Can't wait for the 2014 release, assuming all goes according to plan.
----
31.12.2013 - 23:00
mz

Written by Troy Killjoy on 31.12.2013 at 22:51

Can't wait for the 2014 release, assuming all goes according to plan.

Cheers for the info.
Their 2014 album would definitely be a highlight for me. Seems that I checked them just in time.
----

Hits total: 4379 | This month: 12