04. Dead And Dripping
05. Benedictine Convulsions
06. Phobophile
07. Lichmistress
08. Orgiastic Disembowelment

Top 20 albums of 1996: 8
Top 200 albums of all time: 177

Additional info
Produced by Pierre Remillard and Cryptopsy.
Recorded at Studio Victor.
All songs © Socan 1995

Re-released on Displeased Records and Century Media. Some re-release versions feature gold colored font for the logo/title, rather than the original silver.

The album starts with a sample from the movie The Exorcist III: Legion and ends with a sample from the movie Evil Dead III: Army of Darkness.

Album art by Elizabeth Sirani.

Staff review by
Herzebeth
Rating:
1996 was a good year for Metal Music, Behemoth released their album Grom, Arch Enemy released "Black Earth", Cannibal Corpse found that George Fisher was better than Chris Barnes and released "Vile", Mortician, after 7 years of demos and EPs, finally released their first Full Length album and called it "Hacked Up For Barbecue", and a little Canadian Band Called Cryptopsy Released a great album called "None So Vile".

Read more ››
published 10.01.2005 | Comments (18)

Guest review by
Oaken
Rating:
Death metal. The musical genre concerned with death, hatred and anguish. The aural paragon of blood, gore and mutilation. Ever since it was created about 20 years ago, death metal left nothing nasty undealt with; from the repulsive scenery of gory violence to the deepest of mental aberrations, it covered pretty much everything vile, both musically and lyrically, with death being the recurring theme. Not all bands though were able to convey the actual horror of death, but some wrote albums that redefined death in an aural way. One of these records is Cryptopsy's None So Vile.

Read more ››
published 29.09.2012 | Comments (4)

Found in 82 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 67   Visited by: 1231 users
09.05.2012 - 17:52
Hendrikse
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.05.2012 at 16:35

Honestly I wouldn't listen to Boxcar's advice... If you think you need to listen to this again, listen to it seriously, not as background music. The jazz influence and complex riffing is some of the best in all of bdm, and even though LW is a love or hate vocalist, this album is pretty much exactly what brutal death should sound like.

If you don't like it, you don't like it - no big deal. But if you don't like brutal death metal at all then it's not a surprise if you can't get into this, being that it's one of the genre's pioneering albums (along with Suffocation and Dying Fetus).

Well, I love both DF and Suffocation so I might check out None So Vile out again over the weekend. Normally though I have to let things grow on me first so another listen wouldn't do any harm .
25.05.2012 - 14:11
Rating: 9
Fuck you guys, Lord Worm's vocals are fuckin cool!
11.06.2012 - 05:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 10.06.2012 at 19:03
I think with this album, you either get it or you don't get it.

Kind of a bullshit observation to be honest. You could just say that about any album. And early Cryptopsy isn't so much about "getting it" or not, but about being able to digest Lord Worm's vocals.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.08.2012 - 01:53
Oaken
Hipster
Allow me to apologize to Lord Worm, because I've been addicted to this in the last week. His vocals aren't the best, yet they completely suit the music.
Definitely one of top five DM albums of all time. Great tracks, especially the solo on Dead And Dripping, which is purely orgasmic.
Do they have any other albums in the same vein?
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
15.01.2013 - 02:42
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
This has grown into my favourite BDM album ever. Short and sweet. The amount of sheer brutality crushes my skull in.

Erhmagerd.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
16.02.2013 - 01:19
Illog1cal
Account deleted
A album with every song being a unique work of sinister beauty.
28.02.2013 - 07:04
Lit.
Account deleted
Okay, this album's grown on me very much. After like the fourth or fifth listen, the vocals just get silly. Like on Dead and Dripping:
DUH DUH DUH DUH DUUUUHHHH! DUH DUH DUH DUH DUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHH!
Just taken the time to notice, however, that the lyrics fucking suck.
Other than that, I enjoy it.
10.03.2013 - 23:10
nille
I think "Lord Worm" is a genius ......
My god, he's one of the strongest and most technical death metal vocals in there! It is unique...
10.03.2013 - 23:14
nille
"Flo Mounier" is not simply beating the drum over ... Flo Mounier" is also in my opinion one of the best techniques and the best drummer in the world ...
15.04.2013 - 20:40
musicalkaratekid
Excellent album, and certainly Cryptopsy's best. The instrumentation on this is supreme. It was brilliant enough on the band's debut but somehow it sounds even better on here. The bass work powers through on 'Benedictine convulsion', the guitar work proves to be well-executed on 'Slit your guts' and 'Dead and dripping', and the eerie yet solid 'Phobophile' (which is my personal favourite song of the band) is extremely well written and performed.
12.05.2013 - 21:32
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 11.05.2013 at 22:35

This vocals really sux... i cant understand what the fuck he said. Suffocation's Effigy of the forgotten have 10x better vocals than this

True. Too bad everything else pales in comparison, though.
12.07.2013 - 09:12
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
This might get a higher rating from me in the future. I'll have to listen to it a few more times. The instrumentation was insane, warped, twisted, chaotic, fast... some pretty cool shit. The vocals... well, the guy has range, and he can do interesting things with his vocals, it's just that his low guttural that he uses for the majority of the album just sounds like a old dying bloodhound's howl. I could probably get over it eventually, but for now it just sounds bad.
----
22.07.2013 - 16:00
Written by Boxcar Willy on 24.08.2011 at 17:01

Written by Guest on 11.06.2011 at 15:16

Lord Worm is a legend. He epitomises the concept that vocals in a band like this should become part of the sound itself, rather than conveying pointless lyrics.

still shitty.

Well,you need to listen Temple of knowledge...Kataklysm album.There is some very weak vocals.
10.02.2014 - 04:52
EnigmaLake
I'll never forget the time I met Lord Worm and during a short conversation he felt the top of my head with his hand like a crane and said I had an interesting head. Was a unique experience that makes me laugh inside to this day.
31.03.2014 - 12:15
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
If being able to understand what death metal vocalists are saying is integral to it being good, then I guess there's only about 3 good death metal bands.
16.05.2014 - 08:13
Rating: 10
MetalDoomMaster
Holy shit I will never get over how good this is. Slit Your Guts has to be the most effective BDM song ever written. So fucking brutal
23.12.2014 - 12:42
Rating: 7
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
The music is quite fun, but it just feel directionless most of the time
21.10.2016 - 06:12
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I had this album in my dads car due to it not having an AUX cable, and I listened to it probably 40 times in the week I had to drive it.

Really solid album. Lots of bangers, no real filler but a few tracks are not up to par. Still though, it's a great release.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
07.11.2018 - 06:13
Sang Dalang Abu
Even the lyrics well written, I really love the vocals and isn't suck (who think otherwise are pussies), and I think the vocals should be like this for br00tal death metal genre.
04.01.2019 - 22:53
Redel
Been digging this one a lot lately -- thought I might have me a nice album for Christmas here.
Not that much into BDM in general. At first I thought it is too brutal for me and the vocals too hard to digest.
But after several spins, and vocals digestest along with all the Christmas food, it grew on me a lot.
Wow, this is excellent songwriting.
I guess here the tag "All killer, no filler" fits quite well.
Slightly outstanding for me: Graves of the fathers and Benedictine convulsions.
But I really dont have any tendency to skip a song here.
Some 8.2 overall.

Edit: ... rather an 8.4
08.04.2020 - 20:41
TheRisen8
This brutal piece right here kept me going through today. I would have given it a 12 if it wasn't for the vocals.

EDIT: the more i listen to this the more i start to appreciate the vocals.
----
"Dreams of sweetest emotion touch my heart and smother my daily suppressed cries, while a vision of beauty, pure and dear inspires me with a glimpse of paradise."

Estatic Fear - Somnium Obmutum
26.07.2020 - 23:58
Redel
Written by TheRisen8 on 08.04.2020 at 20:41

This brutal piece right here kept me going through today. I would have given it a 12 if it wasn't for the vocals.

EDIT: the more i listen to this the more i start to appreciate the vocals.

These vocals is the best thing you can do to this music.
12.02.2021 - 16:00
nonZero
The best Brutal Death Metal album ever made IMO.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
01.03.2021 - 09:51
Rating: 8
Mehrad
A little overrated , four songs are awesome , the rest is just OK
----
Ride a horse that's cleaving through the air and space of dreams.
11.06.2021 - 11:44
Zephyrox
One of, if not my favourite death metal album. So many kick-ass riffs in here!
07.07.2021 - 17:05
Most violent album I ever heard.
09.07.2021 - 11:17
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
The vocals are immense! It sounds like his going on a mega rampage! There is some great songwriting here, and a quality performance all round, it's quite genius to combine this kind of technicality with such brutality! For me It's in my top 3 Brutal death metal albums along with, Pierced From Within Suffocation, and Annihilation Of The Wicked Nile.

If you want riffs with catchy melody's you won't get much here, but if like an ultra technical, and extremely fast tempo style approach in death metal, then you will like this, and if your level of brutalness is sky high, then you won't find anything more brutal than this imo, and if your an easy listener, and brutal isn't your thing, then this is certainly not recommended for you!
09.07.2021 - 13:30
Deadsoulman
Elite
I used to hate this album because of Lord Worm, AKA The Growl Randomizer. But the instrumental part is so impressive, catchy and finely written that it's sort of won me over. I still don't like the vocals but they don't detract too much.
18.11.2021 - 01:09
Eric Cartman
My favorite dm album
17.02.2022 - 17:57
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Enjoyable, brutal death metal! It took me a while to tolerate the vocals, but now I've gotten more used to it.
The clear highlights here are "Phobophile", "Graves of the Fathers", "Slit Your Guts", and "Dead and Dripping"
Overall, I prefer Nile's style - a nice mix of aggressive brutality, impressive technicality, and haunting melodies. But this is also fun!

Hits total: 25361 | This month: 136