08. The Lines In My Hand
09. Folklore
10. Marrow Of The Earth
11. Pyre [DVD bonus]
12. Face In The Snow [DVD bonus]

The Biggest Surprise Of 2011
Featured in "Getting Into: Opeth"

Additional info
Written and produced by Mikael Åkerfeldt.
Mixed by Steven Wilson and Mikael Åkerfeldt.
Engineered by Jens Borgen.
Mastered by Peter Mew at Abbey Road Studios.

"Slither" is a tribute to Ronnie James Dio.

Artwork by Travis Smith.

DVD contains a 5.1 mix of entire album, a "making of" documentary, and a card to download the bonus tracks Pyre and Face In The Snow.

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
The general consensus when a great band dares to move away from their original Death Metal sound is usually not positive. However Opeth have done it before masterfully with Damnation in 2003. They are back at it with one of the year's most anticipated albums, Heritage.

Cutting to the chase: Compared to their previous releases, Heritage lacks character. Despite the song structures being very progressive rock and the vocals being crazy good, the absence of catchy guitar riffs or memorable growls is a downer. One can positively recognize Opeth as the artist, especially since a lot of the songs borrow tidbits straight from the Ghost Reveries period. Certainly they manage to perpetuate a dark atmosphere throughout the album, but the mellowness of the whole thing is borderline irritating to someone expecting their trademark sound. I know we have been forewarned by Mikael Åkerfeldt himself about this being a throwback kind of release. Still, I believe this would be either catchier or more aggressive. Nevertheless the album does feature good moments, mostly from the jazz-infused portions of the songs.

Read more ››
published 20.09.2011 | Comments (134)

Guest review by
SauradipGhosh
Rating:
Heritage poses more questions than answers. Have Opeth reached a creative cul-de-sac? Have they chucked their "Extreme Progressive Death Metal" for good? Have they finally shed their "Underground Garage Band" (I am quoting Akerfeldt from an earlier interview) and have ventured out into the Pantheon of the "mainstream" Gods from their hallowed underground temple so frequented by hordes of reverent worshipers?

Read more ››
published 29.05.2012 | Comments (32)

Found in 84 lists
Top lists

Comments page 17 / 18

Comments: 520   Visited by: 3052 users
08.11.2013 - 21:45
Rating: 9
Angry Chair
It was always going to get bashed on a metal site. People are comparing it to things they should't be hence the such low ratings.
----
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot
16.11.2013 - 13:58
Rating: 7
Uldreth
Written by Angry Chair on 08.11.2013 at 21:45

It was always going to get bashed on a metal site. People are comparing it to things they should't be hence the such low ratings.

Yet Damnation is not bashed. So I really don't think it gets bashed because it is not metal ^^.

I'll go out and say I like this better than Deliverance though, and also that Haxprocess is a really really good song.

Edit: So is Folklore and Marrow.
20.11.2013 - 13:17
Angry Chair
Yeah maybe so, Yeah I like the album alot not on of Opeths best but not one of their worst, the first five albums are the best imo.
----
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot
20.11.2013 - 16:01
Rating: 6
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite

First and foremost I want to hear good music, no matter what genre it is. The fact that it's not metal does not affect my opinion about Heritage. It is simply a boring album. Nothing more nothing less. And this comes from a diehard Opeth fan. Check my ratings if you have doubts.
20.11.2013 - 16:17
Rating: 4
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Daniell on 20.11.2013 at 16:01

First and foremost I want to hear good music, no matter what genre it is. The fact that it's not metal does not affect my opinion about Heritage. It is simply a boring album. Nothing more nothing less. And this comes from a diehard Opeth fan. Check my ratings if you have doubts.

well said
----
The Fangirl.
20.11.2013 - 22:32
Uldreth
Hah, I really don't agree with you two it seems.

I am not even a fan of prog rock in general but I like this album. Still second or third worst Opeth album for me (Deliverance is worst, yet to decide how much I like Watershed) but there are some stuff I really like in here. The proggy meandering gets boring at times but even the most boring tracks have some highlight and Haxprocess, Folklore, Marrow of the Earth and Face In The Snow are all extremely good. If I'd have to compile my 15 favourite Opeth songs, Haxprocess would surely be on it.
20.11.2013 - 23:11
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff

Let's not even start on how bad this one looks next to other prog rock albums in this vein.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
20.11.2013 - 23:49
Angry Chair
Written by X-Ray Rod on 20.11.2013 at 23:11

Let's not even start on how bad this one looks next to other prog rock albums in this vein.

Maybe its just me that likes it, I have a strange taste though seen as I would rank them like this:

My Arms Your Hearse
Blackwater Park
Still Life
Morningrise
Orchid
Heritage
Watershed
Ghost Reveries
Damnation
Deliverance
----
- Denis Diderot
21.11.2013 - 00:52
Rating: 8
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog

I've not been very fond of prog rock, yet this was brilliant; that certainly says something...
21.11.2013 - 17:43
Uldreth
Written by LeKiwi on 21.11.2013 at 00:52

I've not been very fond of prog rock, yet this was brilliant; that certainly says something...

Considering that I am also not very keen on prog rock but I like this a lot, maybe this album is bad from a prog rock standpoint but not from others.

Or whatever, I dunno how to say what I thought right now lol. Especially that I am the least fond of the very proggy tracks here. This works the best when they create dark/folky atmospheres with their acoustics.
22.11.2013 - 00:48
Lit.
Account deleted
Well, I love prog rock, but this is an absolute bore no matter what anyone says.
22.11.2013 - 01:19
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Uldreth on 21.11.2013 at 17:43

Considering that I am also not very keen on prog rock but I like this a lot, maybe this album is bad from a prog rock standpoint but not from others.

Or whatever, I dunno how to say what I thought right now lol. Especially that I am the least fond of the very proggy tracks here. This works the best when they create dark/folky atmospheres with their acoustics.

It took a while, but I've come to love all the aspects of this album As far as I'm concerned, this is better than a large majority of the prog rock I've heard barring PT, SW, and PoS; the style is unique (not regarding instruments and tones used). However, if anyone believes there exists a superior album in this vein, I'd like to know about it
25.08.2014 - 23:56
Erik M.
Written by mz on 19.05.2012 at 19:01

This album is far better than watershed, deliverance, damnation,orchid and even Morningrise . I had a low expectation from heritage but they made this masterfully.

What, what, WHAT?!

Consider me baffled, seeing as you gave this a 6... and called it superior to those 5 albums (which are all highly superior to this in my opinion).
26.08.2014 - 00:06
mz
Written by Erik M. on 25.08.2014 at 23:56

What, what, WHAT?!

Consider me baffled, seeing as you gave this a 6... and called it superior to those 5 albums (which are all highly superior to this in my opinion).

yeah opinions change. I used to think so but not anymore.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
26.08.2014 - 21:12
Erik M.
Written by mz on 26.08.2014 at 00:06

yeah opinions change. I used to think so but not anymore.

Obviously I know opinions can change, but you gave 6 Opeth albums a 9 (including those 5 you mentioned), so I'm wondering if you gave this a 10 initially seeing as you said that this is "far better" than those albums. In that case a 10 would be the only rating that makes sense, if you ask me. Granted, my opinion changes almost always as well after more listens but almost never so drastically that I give it 3 or 4 points lower/higher than I initially did.
26.08.2014 - 23:56
mz
Written by Erik M. on 26.08.2014 at 21:12

Obviously I know opinions can change, but you gave 6 Opeth albums a 9 (including those 5 you mentioned), so I'm wondering if you gave this a 10 initially seeing as you said that this is "far better" than those albums. In that case a 10 would be the only rating that makes sense, if you ask me. Granted, my opinion changes almost always as well after more listens but almost never so drastically that I give it 3 or 4 points lower/higher than I initially did.

I used to give heritage a 9. Damnation was initially 6 and the others I mentioned were 7 or 8 if I remember correctly.
Their pre-BWP era was not something I liked easily.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
29.08.2014 - 21:39
Erik M.
Written by mz on 26.08.2014 at 23:56

I used to give heritage a 9. Damnation was initially 6 and the others I mentioned were 7 or 8 if I remember correctly.
Their pre-BWP era was not something I liked easily.

Whoa, talk about changing your opinions drastically. Of course that just happens due to multiple listens and your own taste evolving/changing, but yours is pretty extreme I'd say. In any case, good to hear your opinion of Opeth albums changed in a very positive way (because anyone who thinks Heritage is their best album is either out of his/her mind or just hates metal).
09.01.2015 - 08:16
Amy
It was not necessarily a bad album. My issue is that it was a Porcupine Tree album and was too different from even Damnation. It felt too different from any of the other albums.
----
\m/
22.03.2015 - 19:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
How many of you have listen it after it was out and how many you listen on regularly bases
Cant play it long, in some way it somehow 8if we accept fact its not metal and image band is Poteh what so ever other name not Opeth) it works , otherwise ...
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
26.10.2015 - 04:07
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Never understood why the bonus tracks are bonus tracks. They're just as good as the rest, if not better than some.
28.11.2015 - 06:44
ATG
An amazing and very creative outlook on progressive music as a whole surprised this isn't at a higher rating, for the metal sound its not the best but when it comes to musical creativity it is really recorded as an amazing album a throwback to the 70's
03.12.2015 - 14:43
angel_heart
Written by Bad English on 22.03.2015 at 19:55

How many of you have listen it after it was out and how many you listen on regularly bases
Cant play it long, in some way it somehow 8if we accept fact its not metal and image band is Poteh what so ever other name not Opeth) it works , otherwise ...

I do, I may be charged for blasphemy, but it's my favourite Opeth album. The surprising mix of styles, how eclectic the whole thing is, the way they pay homage to the classics and yet are so creative and unusual... I love love love it!
31.05.2016 - 23:23
Pikemaster
Yup, I still prefer this over Blackwater Park.
----
"Soon its tail raises the mud
The beast is ready for attack
The reel screams the line beings to run
And the struggle shall begin"
20.10.2016 - 21:33
(o> . <o> )
Loved this one from the very first moment, to me this is probably the best Opeth album to this day. I personally don't even miss the death metal aspect, even though I love it this simply works for me. Too many people get attached and can't accept a change, or should I say can't look past it and appreciate a piece of music on it's own for what it's worth. I quite laugh at the meme "rip off of 70's prog rock", for someone it's a valid opinion, I accept that, but I'm sure most of the people who regurgitate this line don't even know 70's prog rock. Anyways, love the dynamics in this album, mixing and mastering could've been a tad better but since this album just sooo happens (because it has Opeth in it still and the vibe and mindset when it comes to music Opeth and Mikael posses) to speak to me. A lot. The atmosphere, the sudden changes in progression, the theme, riffs, especially Martín's bass lines, those bare a huge influence on my style. Lovin' it, deserved 9 from me.
21.10.2016 - 10:03
3rdWorld
China was a neat
^ Lol at that comment from the very first line, "best Opeth album" ?.
21.10.2016 - 10:35
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by 3rdWorld on 21.10.2016 at 10:03

^ Lol at that comment from the very first line, "best Opeth album" ?.

He has actually put this album over "Morningrise" and "Blackwater Park" solely on the basis of embracing 70's prog rock scene. We, unfortunately, not on same level as Ravenous is when it comes to comprehensiveness of progressive rock especially of 70's.
21.10.2016 - 12:24
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Haha yeah I wish I could bask in the holy awesomeness that is this record from the same golden pedestal of 70's prog rock enlightment as him.
19.01.2017 - 18:33
I dont know why its so underrated.. Its a great album despite the long (solo) guitar playalongs..i personally dont like those few parts in the album..
29.05.2017 - 00:29
Rating: 10
Wow
Pink Floyd?
meh
Pure King Crimson sounding like ... Camel! When a band today is able to refresh these sounds as if Robert Frip or Andy Latimer played with them, it means that these guys know well what they do, where they come from and where they go: this makes this album a jewel, for me at the same level as Damnation.
08.09.2021 - 15:42
nonZero
A true fall from grace. Opeth were my favourite band up to this point (90's/00's Opeth still is).
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)

Hits total: 82389 | This month: 119