12. Chronicles From The Stone Age [live] [bonus]
13. Eternal Messiah [live] [bonus]
14. A Common Hope [live] [bonus]
15. Almighty's Murderer [live] [bonus]

Staff review by
jupitreas
Rating:
N/A
This is already a great year for technical death metal. Obscura, Centaurus-A, Suffocation... Nevertheless, it seems like France's Gorod simply outplays all of these bands and Process Of A New Decline so far sets the high water mark for this little sub-genre in the year 2009.

Don't get me wrong, Process Of A New Decline still features many of the pitfalls associated with technical metal - guitar solos are often gratuitous and complex structures seem to exist for no other reason than to show off how many hours the instrumentalists have spent playing with their own instruments instead of getting laid. Case in point - "Watershed" certainly reminds me of Opeth - not in musical style, but in how technical and progressive passages are expertly used to make a conceptual song that goes precisely nowhere. Yes, it all sounds impressive but it is gratuitous and is like a kind of musical workout, that like all music we hear while working out - leaves our memory as soon as it is over.

Read more ››
published 07.07.2009 | Comments (14)

Found in 6 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 5   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 279 users
25.02.2011 - 09:59
Rating: 6
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
I love Gorod's previous two... why can't I get into this one!? Something is missing...
25.02.2011 - 17:06
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Introspekrieg on 25.02.2011 at 09:59

I love Gorod's previous two... why can't I get into this one!? Something is missing...

Because this was is closer to generic tech-death wankery than interesting, considered creative music like their previous two. This kind of album can be found under every rock whereas Leading Visions and Neurotripsick are far more unique.
25.02.2011 - 18:04
JD
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 25.02.2011 at 17:06

Because this was is closer to generic tech-death wankery than interesting, considered creative music like their previous two. This kind of album can be found under every rock whereas Leading Visions and Neurotripsick are far more unique.

Exactly, nailed it
23.04.2011 - 01:05
Daydream Nation
Account deleted
Honestly...this remains my favourite Gorod album. Check out the concept of the album and listen to some of the technical parts...it is stunning to the very last second. Almighty's Murderer has got to be one of my favourite technical death metal songs. No matter how underrated this album may be perceived, you really need to own the album and look at the underlying story stated in the beginning of the booklet to really appreciate what it is Gorod have offered.
27.05.2016 - 22:43
Rating: 9
qlacs
"The Quaker"
This was their peak for me as well. Even though this was the first album I came across from them, I did check their back catalogue and found that crazily good as well, but I just like this mad web of technique and melody. Some of the songs just so well written from start to finish that I just can't resist playing them over and over. This I find less and less often occuring on their newer stuff. Also the singer's monotone growling matches the overall atmosphere, which was one of the downside for me on the follow-up records.
----

Hits total: 10548 | This month: 21