05. Hellhorn
06. Mr. Universe
07. Don't Touch The Sun
08. Run Down
09. Heart Of Darkness
10. Learn To Live
11. Yesterdays [Japanese bonus]
12. Rockethead [Japanese bonus]

The second album of Leverage picked up where the first one left off, tuned a couple of things to perfection and left us eagerly waiting for the latest one.

Their basic principle, which applies to Blind Fire as well as the other two albums, is to make music which is song-oriented and not album-oriented. There are no concepts, and songs could be placed in any order you want them to be - every one of them could easily be a single. Being able to write such strong songs certainly comes from a good band chemistry, and indeed, all band members are interesting individuals with lots of stories to tell. It's only normal that this mirrors itself in their music. Their style here is labeled as power metal, but the band prefers, though the Finns hate genres and everything that has to do with them, to be understood as a band who plays heavy rock with varied melodic and progressive influences. Songs are based on mostly guitar driven melodies and emotional harmonies that are considered "out of style" these days. Though most bands are trying to be "different" and "alternative," Leverage wants to communicate with our hearts and not just our heads and ears, and they're doing that through simple songs.

Now that we've mentioned that the biggest strength of this band is the ability to make very catchy and hit songs, we must also point out that they're doing it without any compromise with what is considered mainstream. There are no lame lyrics - they have a Finnish way of dealing with darker sides of ordinary life and sometimes can tell touching stories. The vocalist Heino gets those lyrics across with lots of power and emotion. Their approach isn't anything "new," because you can't really be new when it comes to playing melodic rock/metal, but nothing sounds like it's been done a million times over. They're a retro band, and this is a retro album but not in that they want the 70's or 80's to be back by any means. It has the old fashioned approach, but not the nostalgia.

If you're just getting into Leverage, this is a good place to start. All three albums have a special place in the hearts of their fans, but this one can stick to you most quickly.

Highlights: "Shadow In The Rain," "Sentenced," "Mr. Universe," "Don't Touch The Sun"... oh hell... every song!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written by Milena | 07.03.2011

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 30 users
09.03.2011 - 21:34
TrollandDie

Very nice stuff from what I've heard so far.
I'm surprised of how low they are on the popularity index. Only having 12 fans but having a decent amount of views (+5000) for their songs on Youtube.

Oh well, most good bands take time to gain a strong fanbase.
----
Hello, my name is Mr......Snrub and I think it would be a capital idea to invest the money back in the nuclear plant.
09.03.2011 - 23:38
Rating: 8
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by TrollandDie on 09.03.2011 at 21:34

I'm surprised of how low they are on the popularity index. Only having 12 fans but having a decent amount of views (+5000) for their songs on Youtube.

I got into them through Pekka Heino's other band, Brother Firetribe most of the people I know got into them 'cos of me but yeah, they're a great band and they're only a few albums apart of making it big; maybe one day they'll even tour with someone big enough or have their own big Europe tour so I could catch them live ^^
----
7.0 means the album is good
09.03.2011 - 23:54
TrollandDie

Written by Milena on 09.03.2011 at 23:38

I got into them through Pekka Heino's other band, Brother Firetribe most of the people I know got into them 'cos of me but yeah, they're a great band and they're only a few albums apart of making it big; maybe one day they'll even tour with someone big enough or have their own big Europe tour so I could catch them live ^^

Yeah they deserve to get some respect seeing that they actually produce some original material as opposed to a lot of new bands that all seem to be sounding a bit generic.
----
Hello, my name is Mr......Snrub and I think it would be a capital idea to invest the money back in the nuclear plant.
09.03.2011 - 23:56
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by TrollandDie on 09.03.2011 at 23:54

Written by Milena on 09.03.2011 at 23:38

Yeah they deserve to get some respect seeing that they actually produce some original material as opposed to a lot of new bands that all seem to be sounding a bit generic.

Aye, that be true \m/
----
13.03.2011 - 00:48
SyndicCalls404

Never liked these guys at all. Only heard Tides and it was gener-o-rama.
13.03.2011 - 12:55
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by SyndicCalls404 on 13.03.2011 at 00:48

Never liked these guys at all. Only heard Tides and it was gener-o-rama.

Each one to his own
----

Hits total: 5117 | This month: 8