Metal Storm logo
Danzig

Original post

Posted by Darth Satanious, 17.05.2006 - 23:43
Here is the thread for the band of such an influential person as Danzig has been. His works with The Misfits have been covered by great bands such as "Guns N' Roses" and "Metallica" (James Hetfield acknowledges that he saw Danzig voice as an inspiration in order to develop an original voice as unique as his). Danzig's voice is one of the greatest out there, at least for me. He was first known for working with the Punk band: The Misfits. Leaving them after considering he was growing musically too fast for his band mates to keep up with him. Then he created Samhain and after that he created his own solo band which was intended to be since a long time ago but for some reasons he didn't rushed to put it out.

My favorite songs from them are: "Am I Demon", "How The Gods Kill" (love the video too ) and his most known song and often hated: "Mother".

What do you think of this band?
23.06.2007 - 21:04
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Happy birthday, Glenn Allen Anzalone
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
28.06.2007 - 02:47
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Bill Clinton had the FBI hunt down Danzig... (from Decibel, Jan 07 http://www.decibelmagazine.com/features/jan2007/glenndanzig.aspx)

"Bill Clinton sent the FBI after me. I was playing Roseland in New York City around '92, and Bill Clinton had just won the election. I was on my friend's radio show that afternoon, and he was talking about how REM and all these bands were playing the inauguration. As a joke, he asked me if I was going, and I said, 'Not unless I can bring a machine gun.' And then I started talking about how Al Gore's wife started the PMRC and how they want to destroy music. I was like, fuck that.

"But somebody called the FBI and said I threatened the president. So they raided the radio station. Then they broke down my friend's?the radio station guy's?apartment while he was sleeping and put him in handcuffs. Then they raided the offices of Def American while I was on tour. My security guy at the time was Jesse James from West Coast Choppers?he was my security guy since the first Danzig tour. I forget where we were, but he came backstage and goes, 'Guess what? The FBI's looking for you.' I was like, 'Bullshit.' Then the girl from my label called and said the FBI wanted to me to turn myself in.

"They followed us from city to city on that tour and came after us with guns. After a month or two of going back and forth, they realized it was going to become this big public thing and finally figured it wasn't worth it. Clinton was trying to have me killed. A friend of mine knows a lot of people in the government and said there was like 14 files on me, six of which can only be accessed by upper-echelon people. People talk about the government having files on John Lennon?they've got files on everybody. Everybody. Even before the Clinton thing, the FBI would follow us around on the Lucifuge tour and tape all our shows. We weren't allowed to touch 'em."
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
29.06.2007 - 23:03
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
@BitterCOld
Thats funny, because in the liner notes for Danzig 4 you see the band all in caskets with Bill Clinton standing in front shaking hands with a cop and a bunch of other cops standing around with guns. Guess theres a story behind that photo.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
30.06.2007 - 01:19
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
i ought to go take a look at that. i think i might have checked the liner notes for IV once, back when I first got it... but it's awkward package shape (at a time when slipcases were not common, and those big longboxes still were) and, from what i recall, it being fairly mediocre relegated it into the 'not often played' bin of my collection.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
30.06.2007 - 01:44
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Yeah, Danzig took a steady decline in his career right from there. 1 was better than 2, 2 better than 3 etc. But big package? do you have it on vinyl or something? because mine is just regular jewel case CD.
----
- George Carlin
30.06.2007 - 02:00
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
cd's used to come in these really long cardboard packages. They were as wide as a CD, but at least twice as long (probably 2.5x). the packaging was a deterrent to theft, originally, but shortly after they were released artists started using the entire boxes as a 'canvas' for cover art.

That is a good example. The box in the image is 'opened' like a book, but you can see exactly how wide and long it was.

We used to cut the sides/backs (the tracklisting section) off with an exacto and stick the front art on our walls.

The band FEAR even left a stencil outline on the backside of one of their packages so you could easily cut it out and use it to spray paint the proper FEAR logo all over the neighborhood.

If I recall my timing well enough, the IV package came out at a time when everyone was still using jewelcases (IV is a little wider, so it wouldn't fit in my cd rack as nicely, and the slimmer profile made it more difficult to find/grab out of a half dozen 25 cd stacks) and the longboxes were just starting to be phased out.
----

30.06.2007 - 02:09
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Wow, thats the first Ive ever heard of those boxes being used...at least for single albums. Ive seen them being used for multi-disc sets and what not. Yeah here alot of CD stores have a plastic frame around the CD (about the same length as those long boxes) that are removed by the cashier once purchased....Im sure youve encountered those, thats the closest thing ever seen to anything like that.

But its surprising I havnt come across any of those long cases left over in vintage music shops (where they have used CDs, cassettes, 8 tracks, vinyl) especially with big artists like Danzig or Hendrix....Im in used music stores quite a bit.
----
- George Carlin
30.06.2007 - 04:11
Richard
Elite
I got '4' when it came out, and my version is a sort of fold-over digipack/slipcase thingy.. Maybe the 'longcases' thing was more in the US than over here.

Anyway, next month we've got the Lost Tracks of Danzig to look forward to! I'm really looking forward to this release - it contains mainly unreleased songs recorded for the sessions of all Danzig albums so far. So, there are songs dating back to the first album, right up to Circle of Snakes, and everything in between - songs which didn't end up on the albums.
----
30.06.2007 - 04:38
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Danzig owns man!

i started listening to his music again a few weeks back after nearly a year ov not listening to him [WOW!] . His voice is amazing!
30.06.2007 - 06:54
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Richard on 30.06.2007 at 04:11

I got '4' when it came out, and my version is a sort of fold-over digipack/slipcase thingy.. Maybe the 'longcases' thing was more in the US than over here.

Anyway, next month we've got the Lost Tracks of Danzig to look forward to! I'm really looking forward to this release - it contains mainly unreleased songs recorded for the sessions of all Danzig albums so far. So, there are songs dating back to the first album, right up to Circle of Snakes, and everything in between - songs which didn't end up on the albums.

I thought that was already released? oh well, Im looking forward to it aswell, apparently the case is going to be like a comic book.
----
- George Carlin
30.06.2007 - 09:21
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Richard, the longboxes were on the way out when IV came out, but it was my first digipack or whatever... so, to me, it was an extreme jump from jewel case, or in a lot of cases, jewel case+longbox to that type. i guess my round about point was that the unorthodox packaging was probably half responsible for this album fading fairly quickly from my play list. was a pain in the ass to hunt down and find it amongst stacks upon stacks of cd's, and the song list didn't really merit the effort.

somehow recollecting about the album brought back the memories of the long box. consider it a history lesson in cd's for some of our younger posters...
----

30.06.2007 - 13:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by BitterCOld on 30.06.2007 at 09:21

Richard, the longboxes were on the way out when IV came out, but it was my first digipack or whatever... so, to me, it was an extreme jump from jewel case, or in a lot of cases, jewel case+longbox to that type. i guess my round about point was that the unorthodox packaging was probably half responsible for this album fading fairly quickly from my play list. was a pain in the ass to hunt down and find it amongst stacks upon stacks of cd's, and the song list didn't really merit the effort.

somehow recollecting about the album brought back the memories of the long box. consider it a history lesson in cd's for some of our younger posters...

Like Richard, I think longboxes were a typical US thing, cause over here in Holland I have never seen regular releases in longboxes (and I started buying cds in 1988 ;-)
But when I did come across a longbox it was ALWAY an import from the US.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.06.2007 - 21:36
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
wow, weird. they had them in Guam as well, not sure where else.

makes sense from both a cost and green standpoint to discontinue using them now that they have enhanced security features... still miss the cool artwork that was easily displayable, though.
----

20.07.2007 - 14:49
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
6:66 Satan's Child is such and underrated album. There are a couple of great tracks on there.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
20.07.2007 - 16:21
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by Lucas on 20.07.2007 at 14:49

6:66 Satan's Child is such and underrated album. There are a couple of great tracks on there.

That is his worst album. I can't listen to that shit more than 15 minutes, Listen to Danzig, Danzig III How The Gods Kill, Danzig II Lucifuge or even Danzig 4: P. That is real Danzig and not that stupid dark industrial shit that never should see light of the day... worst Danzig's album ever!
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
20.07.2007 - 16:30
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by APOHAKC on 20.07.2007 at 16:21

Written by Lucas on 20.07.2007 at 14:49

That is his worst album. I can't listen to that shit more than 15 minutes, Listen to Danzig, Danzig III How The Gods Kill, Danzig II Lucifuge or even Danzig 4: P. That is real Danzig and not that stupid dark industrial shit that never should see light of the day... worst Danzig's album ever!

I disagree. I find it very catchy, and while Danzig's vocals are a bit different, they are still great!

Maybe it is pretty cheesy and 'dark', I still love the groove in it.

Belly Of The Beast!
----

20.07.2007 - 16:33
APOHAKC
The Bard
Ok than, everyone have their own opinion, but really can't believe that someone can like that album most, especially when you look at his discography with so much great albums
----
20.07.2007 - 16:55
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by APOHAKC on 20.07.2007 at 16:33

Ok than, everyone have their own opinion, but really can't believe that someone can like that album most, especially when you look at his discography with so much great albums

Oh no no! I never said I love it most! I like it a lot, but it does not even come close to superb albums like Danzig, II, III or 4p.
----

20.07.2007 - 17:16
APOHAKC
The Bard
Oh, sorry then
----
21.08.2007 - 15:46
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
The new video from Danzig "Crawl Across Your Killing Floor" can be found at this location.
24.08.2007 - 06:13
Ellie
Account deleted
I always thought of Danzig as metal..
24.08.2007 - 18:06
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Why that? They have never been, IMO. And the opinion of many others.
----

05.09.2007 - 23:30
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Singing his songs is so much fun! Like just randomly I'll break into Danzig songs, like how Chef does Soul songs on South Park
06.09.2007 - 14:34
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Danzig is cool!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
13.09.2007 - 21:36
?Master?
Account deleted
Danzig has one of the greatest voices in all of fukin metal!
Misfits kik ass he kiks ass!
fuk what more can i say but they kik ass!:banger:
14.09.2007 - 23:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Does someone knows his all prom videos I know only 'Mother' and 'How The Gods Kill"
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.09.2007 - 00:36
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
----
- George Carlin
28.09.2007 - 04:17
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9QNxZHfw3I

the only one ov Danzig's electro songs i like
28.09.2007 - 04:39
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=160] on 28.09.2007 at 04:17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9QNxZHfw3I

the only one ov Danzig's electro songs i like

Yeah thats off of Danzig 4, thats when he started moving away from the traditional stripped-down rock n roll that you can hear in the first 3 albums.
----
- George Carlin
03.10.2007 - 08:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Doc G. on 15.09.2007 at 00:36

@K7

Am I Demon
Mother
She Rides
Twist Of Cain
Killer Wolf
I Dont Mind The Pain
Cantspeak
How The Gods Kill
Bodies
Dirty Black Summer
Kiss The Skull
Wicked Pussycat
Sistinas
Five Finger Crawl
Under Her Black Wings
Its Coming Down
Crawl Across Your Killing Floor
Im The One
Circle Of Snakes
Devils Plaything

That should be all of them.

BTW-Watch Chuck Biscuits (the drummer) in 'She Rides' and 'Am I Demon' and you'll understand why hes my favorite drummer/idol...

I remember seeing Danzig in the early nineties live with Chuck Biscuits and Chuck was standing up the entire duration of the concert. That was the first time I ever saw a drummer standing up while playing.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996