Metal Storm logo
Pantera

Original post

Posted by Darth Satanious, 18.05.2006 - 00:00
Coming from a style that some consider to be Glam, US Power Metal or just Heavy Metal (I haven't had the chance of actually listening to this period from the band) Pantera became a Groove Thrash metal band that told all those Grunge bands, that were taking over during the 90's, to fuck off, that Metal is alive and breathing. Their music, raw and in your face, has influenced several bands including many Nu Metal bands (often hated for that).

As we all know, the life of the guitar god Dimebag Darrell ended during a tragic incident where a son of a bitch killed him during a show of his other band Damageplan, in which he too played guitar along with his brother Vinnie Paul, in December 8th, 2004. Millions suffered his death back in those days and we all still do for he was a unique guitar palyer and person, as all the people who knew him acknowledge. He may not be with us in flesh but he will be alive forever through his music.

Here is their official thread.
16.10.2007 - 18:28
IllNiñoSweden
Pantera is best. The best album is Far Beyond Driven.

Here is a link to all pantera fans: http://www.myspace.com/pantera
16.10.2007 - 21:02
Woutjinho
Account deleted
why do you introduce them?

anyway, my fav. is Vulgar Display Of Power
20.10.2007 - 16:01
IllNiñoSweden
Because I like thrash metal very much!
And thrash metal is my best genre.
21.10.2007 - 05:32
m3ta1he4d
Mine's Far Beyond Driven also.. Almost all of the songs in this album are great.. I think this album is considered by many as groove metal.. Anyway, stand-out tracks for me in this album are the opening song Strength Beyond Strength, Becoming, 5 Minutes Alone, I'm Broken, and my favorite Shedding Skin.. Thanks to Phil and the rest of the dudes of Pantera for the great metal music.. RIP Darrell Lance Abbott (Diamond Dimebag Darrell).. We'll miss you guys..
21.10.2007 - 10:15
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
ive just learnt the basic idea of cowboys from hell solo - such a great song - dimebag was a great guitarist RIP
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
22.10.2007 - 02:00
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Have you guys seen the YouTube video of Dimebag when he was 17 years old? Watch it here.

That solo is incredible. You can definitely hear the Van Halen and Randy Rhoads influences.
22.10.2007 - 03:17
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Good old Pantera; I really miss them, but the one I miss the most is Dimebag. He will never be forgotten.

Anyway, this was one of the very first metal bands I ever listened to. It has sort of a nostalgia factor for me. It makes me want to listen to them right now. Excuse me while I play '5 Minutes Alone' at full blast.
03.11.2007 - 23:25
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
@pyroleprechaun: wow! Not bad, and only 17 too, hmmm.
28.01.2008 - 14:07
Valentin B
Iconoclast
'Shattered' from "Cowboys from Hell" is one of the best Halford impersonations i've ever heard!

Phil Anselmo is definetely one of the best vocalists in metal history, i mean just listen to the ending for "Cemetery Gates" when he screams "GAAAAAAATES" and then "The Great Southern Trendkill", with that monstrous growl, and then to most other Pantera songs, where he has such a great razor-sharp voice.

Although IMO Phil is overshadowed by the death of Dimebag Darrell, Darrell has still some of the coolest riffs i've ever heard, especially in the song "Cowboys from Hell". Now i've began to notice how good their drummer is, too! only the bassist remains
30.01.2008 - 04:18
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Valentin B on 28.01.2008 at 14:07

'Shattered' from "Cowboys from Hell" is one of the best Halford impersonations i've ever heard!

Phil Anselmo is definetely one of the best vocalists in metal history, i mean just listen to the ending for "Cemetery Gates" when he screams "GAAAAAAATES" and then "The Great Southern Trendkill", with that monstrous growl, and then to most other Pantera songs, where he has such a great razor-sharp voice.

Although IMO Phil is overshadowed by the death of Dimebag Darrell, Darrell has still some of the coolest riffs i've ever heard, especially in the song "Cowboys from Hell". Now i've began to notice how good their drummer is, too! only the bassist remains

Haha Rex Brown, I got to meet him, really nice guy. For some reason I didn't notice how great a bassist he was until I listened to Rebel Meets Rebel.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
31.01.2008 - 02:21
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Valentin B on 28.01.2008 at 14:07

I agree man, except I don't consider him to be good anymore. In his prime, yeah, definitely he's up there with the greatest metal vocalists of all time because of his extreme range. Not only that, but the his stage presence (before the heroin) was also fucking energetic.
31.01.2008 - 09:43
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Dangerboner on 31.01.2008 at 02:21

I agree man, except I don't consider him to be good anymore. In his prime, yeah, definitely he's up there with the greatest metal vocalists of all time because of his extreme range. Not only that, but the his stage presence (before the heroin) was also fucking energetic.

yeah i saw a documentary about pantera once, and he was fuckin insane! back in 93 or 95 i think a pantera show would have been just so awesome! i also like the "Cowboys from Hell" video where they play on a stage and every 10 seconds or so some guy comes from backstage and jumps in the crowd
19.03.2008 - 01:47
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
F*ck, I miss the Pantera days... Awesome band!!
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
22.04.2008 - 14:03
ArtiA
Robin Goodfellow
I wish , I have good walk....... , I like walk song . I miss the band
----
"The WAY" is perfect and complete like boundless space nothing redundant but because the mind continues to make distinction.
21.05.2008 - 19:27
vatro
Account deleted
They are great my favourite songs are cowboys from hell and cemetary gates
21.05.2008 - 21:57
immaculate
Account deleted
Pantera is a legend they went where no one else would in music when someone says "metal" the first thing that comes to mind is pantera.
Dimebags death was the biggest blow to metal i think has ever happened next to vitek from decapitateds death in 07.
I think that vinnie paul and the rest of the band shouldnt have gone into the side projects they did like hell yeah who has got to be one of the worst "super groups" i have ever heard next to velvet revolver.
Thats just my oppinion though some people think that hell yeah would surpass pantera in originality and overall musical talent.....anyone with half a brain would disagree.
11.08.2008 - 21:32
Misfit
Account deleted
Pantera is awesome. My fav album has got to be Far Beyond Driven, and some of my fav songs are Floods, By Demons Be Driven and Domination.
11.08.2008 - 21:44
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Guest on 21.05.2008 at 21:57

Pantera is a legend they went where no one else would in music when someone says "metal" the first thing that comes to mind is pantera.

I think that's still Metallica...
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
11.08.2008 - 21:52
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Lucas on 11.08.2008 at 21:44

Written by Guest on 21.05.2008 at 21:57

I think that's still Metallica...

Ehh yeah, totally agree... at least I totally disagree about Pantera being the first thing people think about when someone says Metal. First time I heard that statement.
----
11.08.2008 - 23:42
Tórnach
Account deleted
Pantera is great, one of the better American metal bands.
17.08.2008 - 00:01
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
I actually really disliked "Cowboys From Hell"
17.08.2008 - 00:42
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Guest on 17.08.2008 at 00:01

blasphemy

on a side note, i don't really see what's there to dislike about that album lol
17.08.2008 - 05:39
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 17.08.2008 at 00:42

Written by Guest on 17.08.2008 at 00:01

blasphemy

on a side note, i don't really see what's there to dislike about that album lol

Well, I hated Phils shrieks......I seems so not...."him".
17.08.2008 - 07:22
hardRAWKR
Account deleted
One of the first REAL metal artists I listened to. They are great.
RIP Dimebag.
20.08.2008 - 09:50
Valentin B
Iconoclast
today Diamond Darrell would have had his 42nd birthday, i just want to say Rest in Peace mr Darrell and thank you for your awesome riffs and solo's!
20.08.2008 - 14:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
PLease stop the cheesiness concerning dead artists... it's not like you people actually knew the said artist in real life.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.08.2008 - 16:58
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.08.2008 at 14:53

PLease stop the cheesiness concerning dead artists... it's not like you people actually knew the said artist in real life.

I couldn't agree more, but I have to laugh because your sig has an R.I.P. and quote from a dead artist.
20.08.2008 - 17:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by theflyingmachine on 20.08.2008 at 16:58

... but I have to laugh because your sig has an R.I.P. and quote from a dead artist.

I was expecting that comment

But I actually knew Dawn very well...
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.08.2008 - 18:09
oh ok. It was just too obvious to not say anything
24.08.2008 - 06:00
Sorg
Account deleted

What's wrong with expressing sadness for the tragedy of a hero? His music affected many people in positive ways, and Dime also had a big heart. He once bought a young kid some amps and a guitar, because he couldn't afford them himself. He was also very connected with his fans.