Metal Storm logo
Blind Guardian and Helloween

Original post

Posted by Baz Anderson, 18.05.2006 - 00:36
The last time I made this poll I found it very intersting indeed watching the percentages change. Helloween seemed to be getting closer and closer to Blind Guardian as time went on.

If there is to be a discussion between the best two power metal bands - then surely it will be these two.
The first band that should pop to mind when you think of power metal should be Helloween, but Blind Guardian have carved their way into power metal history as well.

A few years ago, I would have claimed Blind Guardian to be my favorite band - but then I got into Helloween and I have been rather obsessed by them since. Which other band has something as amusing as a pumpkin acting various things in various places? haha
Blind Guardian seem a lot more fantasy oriented where Helloween are more traditional heavy metal oriented, but both are fantastic bands.
I would say Helloween were my favorite, of course - but I am still very interested as to see how the votes will go this time - maybe we will be a little surprised, who knows.

But whatever your opinion on these two bands, let us hear what you have to say.

Thanks!

Poll

Who do you prefer?

Blind Guardian
Helloween

Total votes: 274
20.02.2008 - 02:28
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Woow... Blind Guardian no doubt!! Hansi is on of the power metals finest vocals.... And the music overall is better than later Helloween, lyrics also, I prefere even fantasy overdose lyrics than "just a little sign" or somethig like that... To be honest I love Helloween only to point where Kai was with them, after that- all went straight to hell. The best album of Helloween is and will be Walls Of Jericho!!!!! Ride the Sky! YEAH!
----
20.02.2008 - 19:12
Mustis
Account deleted
Men this is hard, i cant decide, both bands are great, i would say
Helloween is better but its really hard
23.02.2008 - 09:31
Tombspawn
Account deleted
It's a tough choice, really. Then again, I'd probably vote for Helloween, just because of their first album. Though BG's best album was probably Somewhere Far Beyond IMO, so it's possibly because I like speed metal a lot currently. It could also be due to me listening to Helloween's Gambling... album quite a lot recently, but... Yeah. o.O
19.04.2008 - 20:47
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
if i have to be honest i hate Helloween! but Blind Guardian rulz
22.04.2008 - 04:45
Icarus
!PROSLACKER!
thats a no brainer for me, BG is one of my fav bands while helloween lately aint that good.. IMO
----
-At live's eve our flames will cease-
23.05.2008 - 10:31
Trinstar
Beyond the gates of space and time, and... wait what? Gamma who?

Okay then.

YAAAHHH! It's Helloween! YAAAHHH! It's Helloween! TONIGHT!

Seriously, these might be the two best power metal bands of all time, but nothing compares to the Keys albums. Now post-Hansen Helloween specifically is nothing compared to Blind Guardian, but from the Walls to the Keys these guys are number one! And SCREAM! On Helloween!
----
Every one of us has heard the call
Brothers of True Metal, proud and standing tall
We know the power within us has brought us to this hall
There's magic in the metal; there's magic is us all
24.05.2008 - 01:07
Gordon Freeman
It boils down to this...

Without Helloween there would be no Power Metal

And without Blind Guardian, Power Metal would have atrophied and died.

I picked BG by the way.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
06.06.2008 - 11:58
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
hard to choose, as Both bands are great, BUT i think BlindGuardian is better!!
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
11.06.2008 - 22:53
Nihilist Void
It's really hard to compare these 2 great bands...I like them both,but Blind Guardian has a more melodic sound and more interesting lyrics.They're lyrics are inspired from J.R.R. Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" triology,and they have the "power" to make you visualise they're "fantasy world".So if I am to choose between Helloween and Blind Guardian, I will go with Blind Guardian
----
You cannot see God,but is necesary to look one time in the mirror,to see the devil.
15.06.2008 - 02:16
sonofdeath
blind guardian plays more powerfull and more fantasy like, yet they're younger then helloween. witch l mean by that considering the keeper albums l vote helloween. they're more variously skilled and have had a bigger impact on power metal, as they've started the whole thing ^^ looking through all the albums one can find a interesting evolution. ow well, call me nostalgic

actually goatrider summed it pretty well up, helloween put the foundations and bg kept expanding it.
----
----When I drop dead, could you place a sixpack of beer besides me? I've heard it's quite hot in hell----
11.11.2008 - 12:18
Metalbound7
Damn i just cant:banger: decide, both bands are great, Epic and have a lot of influence in Power Metal. Love them both !
24.11.2008 - 20:52
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
I don't particularly love either band, but Helloween's vocalist has the most annoying voice in the world, so: Blind Guardian.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
25.11.2008 - 12:18
Eeric
Account deleted
Helloween have better vocalist and way better songs so, Helloween
30.11.2008 - 18:31
Toast
Account deleted
Blind Guardian for sure. The only thing I don't like about them are their lyrics lol, but their first 5 albums were killer.
23.09.2009 - 17:35
Guib
Thrash Talker
Its Helloween for me... No doubt -_-
Helloween is one of the first band I listened to in the Metal Scene.. and really I still enjoy it alot
Like when I hear one of their song, I cant help myself.. I just have to sing along
their music makes me HAppy .. yeah thats it, Id call this Happy Metal

Also, Blind guardian never had a big impact on me... Lol
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
23.09.2009 - 19:02
Dominus
The Shooter
Helloween!!
The worse thing of Blind Guardian is its singer. Simply it stinks out!
23.09.2009 - 19:39
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
Woot! Did you just diss Hansi?
I like both bands, but BG has more consistency, a better live performance (and Hansi>Andi ).
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
24.09.2009 - 03:08
BuzzPhil
I really enjoy both bands but... The Dark Ride is one of mall-time favourites and I think... I don,t know... I'm gonna say Helloween but not by far...
18.10.2009 - 14:57
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Stalker on 20.02.2008 at 02:28

Woow... Blind Guardian no doubt!! Hansi is on of the power metals finest vocals.... And the music overall is better than later Helloween, lyrics also, I prefere even fantasy overdose lyrics than "just a little sign" or somethig like that... To be honest I love Helloween only to point where Kai was with them, after that- all went straight to hell. The best album of Helloween is and will be Walls Of Jericho!!!!! Ride the Sky! YEAH!

buddy i really like your Alexandri Kalashnikov display pic. and Blind Guardian is the best PM band of all time.;)
18.10.2009 - 14:59
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Gordon Freeman on 24.05.2008 at 01:07

It boils down to this...

Without Helloween there would be no Power Metal

And without Blind Guardian, Power Metal would have atrophied and died.

I picked BG by the way.

i agree with you.
18.10.2009 - 17:46
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by Hermann Langke on 18.10.2009 at 14:57

buddy i really like your Alexandri Kalashnikov display pic. and Blind Guardian is the best PM band of all time.;)

Man, he's Mikhail Kalashnikov actually. :p AK stands for Avtomat Kalashnikov. But I get your point, and agree
----
18.10.2009 - 17:52
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Stalker on 18.10.2009 at 17:46

Man, he's Mikhail Kalashnikov actually. :p AK stands for Avtomat Kalashnikov. But I get your point, and agree

thank you buddy.which is your fav. BG Album?
18.10.2009 - 18:21
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by Hermann Langke on 18.10.2009 at 17:52

It could be said its Somewhere Far Beyond, but not just that one. OK lets not go off-topic now
----
18.10.2009 - 18:25
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Stalker on 18.10.2009 at 18:21

Written by Hermann Langke on 18.10.2009 at 17:52

It could be said its Somewhere Far Beyond, but not just that one. OK lets not go off-topic now

i see mine is a twist in the myth and nightfall in middle-earth
18.10.2009 - 19:01
Zuzuz0r
Blind Guardian wins, they are one of my favorite bands, and one of the few power metal bands I still listen to. Too much time I tried to get into Helloween, but it failed, never listened something from them that could interest me.
----
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead.
19.10.2009 - 01:20
ToMegaTherion
Blind Guardian remain one of my favorite Power metal bands, but its not to say Helloween don't have their great albums. But its hard for me to go past Blind Guardian.
20.10.2009 - 03:55
saurabhzutshi
Helloween is gr8 but blind guardian has a bit more "epic" type songs which i love.
----
UP THE IRONS
13.11.2009 - 21:26
IronBlackZepp
Blind Guardian has more great albums, Helloween has a few great albums as well, but their are many bad ones as well.
14.11.2009 - 02:25
Angelic Storm
Melodious
This is tough! I am going to go with Helloween, even though I absolutely love Blind Guardian too. Blind Guardian play an epic style of power metal, which is just irresistable. Helloween are a more "straight ahead" sort of band but...they also have epics like "Halloween", "Keeper Of The Seven Keys", and "King For 1000 Years", that show the old masters are also a bit dapper in the epic songwriting department!

Blind Guardian's music takes you off to otherworldly, fantasy realms, and almost sounds medieval, even though it's modern times. I just have to choose Helloween, because they basically started the genre, and almost certainly were a huge influence on Blind Guardian. The earlier speed metal BG albums are definitely testament to that. I also like everything Helloween have ever done, even if it hasn't always been of the same quality. Really, they are both awesome bands, but Helloween have always been the power metal gods in my eyes, and always will be! I also include Gamma Ray in this, as Kai Hansen is in that band, and he's done a great job of carrying the torch of the old style Helloween with his band.
19.11.2009 - 09:43
IronBlackZepp
Helloween was great in the 80's, their problem was that they could not keep their line up straight. Kai Hansen and Micheal Kiske were great, but after they were not in the band anymore you have got to wonder, is this the same band that I once loved? Sure they had their moments but Hellowen was just not the same after the 80's. A line up of a band should stay the same for a while, at least for the most part. Like Iron Maiden, they had lots of different changes early on but once they reached their best over all line up (even though I think the Number of the Beast line up was just as great, just a different drummer, but I think that Clive Burr was just as great as Nicko McBrian) they didnt change for years.