Metal Storm logo
The best debut album.

Original post

Posted by Tiago Rocha, 20.08.2011 - 03:38
Let's go back in time. In the 60's, a revolution took place in the music stage, taking it to another level. An heavy level. Iggy Pop and a bunch of other crazy dope aliens had already sent a serious message, but the real pioneers, were yet to come. This newcomers, were about to change things again... Ya'll know who they are so let's cut to the chase.

These are all pre-1975 albums. They belong to bands that, in a way or another, helped the heavy metal growth in mid-70's.
I want to know which one of them makes the best debut overall. Which one made its band start its career off the best? Which one contributed the most to the evolution of heavy metal from hard-rock?
I choose the Led Zeppelin's one, not only for personal reasons, but also for Plant's vocal skills, the guitar riffs, and that instrumental drum track... I find it a fun record, and i really think that music was ahead of its time. IMO it's their best record, and the big responsible for hard-rock/heavy metal launch, side by side with black sabbath's two first ones. If i had to choose a 2nd one from the list, i'd go for the Judas Priest debut. I just love the mixing of blues, rock and hard-rock they did there. An highly underrated record from Priest's hard-rock era.

Poll

Which one is the best debut record?

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin I
Blue Öyster Cult - Blue Öyster Cult
Judas Priest - Rocka Rolla
Scorpions - Lonesome Crow
Deep Purple - Shades Of Deep Purple
Alice Cooper - Pretties For You
Thin Lizzy - Thin Lizzy
UFO - UFO I

Total votes: 129
04.07.2014 - 12:28
Yossarian

Hi

I chose Led Zeppelin, though the choice was between them and Black Sabbath really. The other debut albums in the query were not very good or not quite metal/hard rock related. Particularly the ones from Scorpions, Judas and Deep Purple are horrible.
07.07.2014 - 05:40
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Yossarian on 04.07.2014 at 12:28

Hi

The other debut albums in the query were not very good or not quite metal/hard rock related. Particularly the ones from Scorpions, Judas and Deep Purple are horrible.

I'm sorry ?.. what do you mean they are not quite METAL/HARD ROCK related lol. they are all Hard Rock releases without exceptions.
I'm not gonna comment on *Were not very good* since it's all about your preferences, but yeah it's Hard Rock man, even though you don't like it.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
31.07.2014 - 08:26
Totenlieder

Out of the list I choose Black Sabbath's debut.
I like that one the most, out of the list that is.
Second choice would be Led Zeppelin.
Rocka Rolla is an okay album too, but not as good when compared to Priest's later albums.
----
Blut & Krieg
04.08.2014 - 06:34
Ganondox

Honestly the only song I really like from Black Sabbath is NIB (though I recognize the song Black Sabbath's importance), and Rocka Rolla also kinda sucks, so I'm going with the Led Zep one. Not familiar with any of the other ones.
17.02.2017 - 13:10
nikarg

Black Sabbath obviously. Defined a whole genre.
03.11.2019 - 21:41
All Metal

Led Zeppelin smashes home. As far as studio work for the band it was all downhill from there in regards to heaviness, not creativity. Though the other bands don't compare to their opener. Black Sabbath admitted they were big fans of the band and also friends. Sabbath time and again paid homage to Zeppelin as they knew their place.
07.08.2020 - 15:27
KaninStryparn

None of the ones above, i think Helloween with walls of jericho
----
Heavy Metal is the law that keeps us all united free
A law that shatters earth and hell
07.08.2020 - 16:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by KaninStryparn on 07.08.2020 at 15:27

Well pre 1975 as author said. So...
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.08.2020 - 16:56
KaninStryparn

Written by Bad English on 07.08.2020 at 16:20

Written by KaninStryparn on 07.08.2020 at 15:27

Well pre 1975 as author said. So...

Oh my bad!
----
Heavy Metal is the law that keeps us all united free
A law that shatters earth and hell
23.04.2021 - 11:06
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
For me It's a very close one between Led Zeppelin 1 and Black Sabbath, they are two amazing albums that don't age, and with a lot of historical importance that will always remain legendary.

I slightly prefer Led Zeppelin 1, because it had a few more songs that I enjoyed on it, my favourites being Dazed and Confuzed, Good times bad times, Babe I'm gonna leave you, and Communication breakdown, although the title track on Black Sabbath is a great song and so was NIB and Wizard.