10. Tragedy Of Perfection
11. Dominator
12. I Choose You
13. The Sadist
14. The Broken [bonus]
15. Time Will Tell [Scott Brown Hardstyle mix]

Deathcore for dance clubs, eh?

No, wait! Don't go! Keep reading!

My uncanny lvl. 68 telepathy skill tells me that a lot of people are going to hate this album. Deathcore haters almost certainly will. Same with those fanatical electro purists you encounter on your internet radio site of choice (you know, the "Skrillex = homostep" guys). Take some pretty simple techno tunes and mix them with some pretty generic deathcore, and that's a solid enough description of The Browning's new album. Commencing back pat right now.

But, point is, with all that in mind, hopefully your jaded ass will be impressed by the quality of Burn This World. It's actually pretty fucking fun. FYI! Staccato deathcore guitar work works well with dance music. This shit will get you karate dancing regardless of your feelings toward breakdowns and dance music. So do that line of sunshine, put that spandex thing on, and grab your sledge hammer. Shit's gonna get crazy? Better go get some water too... Gum? Yeah, I got gum.

Trouble is, the jolts and jitters Burn This World's genre-hybridization causes will wear off. All that chain-smoking and your self-imposed daily beer consumption quotas will help kill your little Jujitsu dance mid-tornado kick, and the breakdowns, the dumb melodramatic lyrics, the computerized and synthy melodies will probably all start giving you headaches... Actually, scratch that "probably". They will give you headaches. This isn't an album to listen to in one sitting. It's built to be played two or three tracks at a time, maybe at a party. And since this is an album review and all, that is a significant problem. I have a lot of fun with it at first, but always end up turning it off prematurely and/or ADD-hopping through the intro bits until I find something to multitask with to it.

But you can still go ahead and color me the colors of the hot topic t-shirt of a cover design surprised. Turns out all my friends and old lady friends are wrong. I can be pretty hip. The songs I enjoy on this, I, like, uh, really enjoy? Texas, home of nu-cowboys, Aryan basketball overlords, and Rick Perry's "inspirational meteorology", has actually produced some pretty forward-thinking stuff this holy year, all the while not abandoning and, if anything, paying respect to tried-and-trveish formulas. The Browning delivers their stuff skillfully?with some of the most back-breakingly thick chugs I know of?and the production is the shit. This is an interesting and fun album despite its various drawbacks. Give it a shot.

This is what Illud Divinum Insanus should have sounded like.

Written on 04.10.2011 by Wormdrink's real name is George and he's an American.

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 44   Visited by: 206 users
20.10.2011 - 20:45
psykometal
A staff guy...
I dig the idea here and I really enjoyed the 2 EPs that preceded this but this album was kinda meh to me when I first listened to it [but that may be just because it was released while I was on a tech death binge] so I will need to listen to it more before I say "the 2 EPs were def a lot better than this". By progressive I don't think he meant progressive like Dream Theater and Opeth are progressive but progressive as in for -core this is showing progression beyond just standard fair -core, it's something new for a change; even if the riffs are still relatively chug-a-chug the electronic/dubstep additions are relatively "fresh". And if I had to choose between this and Asking Alexandria this is by far the better imo.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

20.10.2011 - 22:28
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by psykometal on 20.10.2011 at 20:45
the electronic/dubstep additions are relatively "fresh".

Please, like mixing electronic and metal is fresh. And don't get me started on how stale dubstep is.

----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
20.10.2011 - 23:13
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.10.2011 at 22:28

Written by psykometal on 20.10.2011 at 20:45
the electronic/dubstep additions are relatively "fresh".

Please, like mixing electronic and metal is fresh. And don't get me started on how stale dubstep is.

LMAO on the pic! Hence the "" marks around it, haha. That's what I see and hear all over the place when people are talking about how "amazing and fresh" bands like Asking Alexandria are because of the type of electronics they are using, and The Browning use similar electronics [but imo do it better than Asking Alexandria]. So many people consider them a "...breath of fresh air in an otherwise stale genre...".
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

20.10.2011 - 23:16
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by psykometal on 20.10.2011 at 23:13
So many people consider them a "...breath of fresh air in an otherwise stale genre...".

Ah I understand where you're coming from now. Makes sense.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
27.10.2011 - 22:45
opeth771

This is very original and I like it... You guys are so close minded
27.10.2011 - 22:48
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by opeth771 on 27.10.2011 at 22:45
You guys are so close minded

There's a difference between being close-minded and just not liking something.

I gave this a chance; hence, I went in with an open mind. I listened to over half of the album. I was incredibly disappointed, disgusted, you name it. It did not sit will with me because I prefer listening to music that I consider good, and this album did not fulfill that requirement.

In fact I don't think any of us here who don't like it are close-minded. We all gave it a chance and we decided it sucked based on what it sounded like.
----
27.10.2011 - 22:51
Rating: 7
Uldreth

The one song I heard so far doesn't sound as horrible to me as people claim it to be. The deathcore parts utterly suck (and I say that as a person who really doesn't mind the occasional deathcore, as well as an Ion Dissonance, Born of Osiris and As Blood Runs Black fan) however the electronica parts I have found to be relatively ok. Still I dunno if I should bother with the rest of this...

As for that picture, despite it being supposedly sarcastic, it essentially is correct in a literal sense. The early dubstep movement was far different than the mainstreamized washmashine crap that exists nowadays, anyone who claims otherwise is either ignorant or just as blinded by bias as a random non-metalhead is who is like WAAARGH METULZ IZ JUST SCERAMING!!!!!444. Sure you can find that bland too, it is understandable since it is quite minimalist, but it is a totally different species. Yes, I have listened to enough dubstep to know, and yes, I will say this literally EVERY TIME someone brings this up
29.10.2011 - 06:53
Lit.
Account deleted
More like "Burn This Album."
29.10.2011 - 07:02
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 29.10.2011 at 06:53
More like "Burn This Album."

At least SOAD wanted people to steal theirs...
----
08.11.2011 - 07:50
Grody2themax

I lol'd at the "(you know, the "Skrillex = homostep" guys)" part. Honestly, don't think i'll be checking this out though... Furthest I'd do is listen to it on youtube or mediafire it.
09.11.2011 - 18:59
GT
Coffee!!
I actually quite like it. The electronic parts in particular. The deathcore parts are a bit meh, but not bad as such. With a bit more practice it could be really good
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
16.11.2011 - 05:30
Rating: 4
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Is this not the definition of crabcore?
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
23.11.2011 - 20:39
Olli

You made it sound interesting so I checked it out on youtube, I quite like the drumming but the techno sounded so happy compared to the metal it made me laugh out loud
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
09.01.2012 - 02:01
Rating: 4
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Boxcar Willy on 16.11.2011 at 05:30

Is this not the definition of crabcore?

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/CRABCORE/139120982790083

seriously check this.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS