Account deleted
Most underrated hard rock band ever.
26.12.2011 - 20:37
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by Irritable Ted on 26.12.2011 at 20:17

Written by Guest on 26.12.2011 at 19:35

Beavis and Butthead would beg to differ.

What? I don't get it, sorry....
26.12.2011 - 20:53
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by Irritable Ted on 26.12.2011 at 20:45

Written by Guest on 26.12.2011 at 20:37

On the cartoon Beavis and Butthead they always took the piss out of Winger. The lame character Stuart always wore a Winger T-shirt. Mike Judge claims he single handedly destroyed Kip's career.

Oh! Now I understand. I never heard about "Beavis And Butthead" before.
26.12.2011 - 20:59
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by Irritable Ted on 26.12.2011 at 20:57

Written by Guest on 26.12.2011 at 20:53

Written by Guest on 26.12.2011 at 20:37

On the cartoon Beavis and Butthead they always took the piss out of Winger. The lame character Stuart always wore a Winger T-shirt. Mike Judge claims he single handedly destroyed Kip's career.

Oh! Now I understand. I never heard about "Beavis And Butthead" before.

Watch the film Beavis and Butthead do America, its brilliant. It was funny long before South Park and Family Guy.

I look forward to it, although I'm not a movie fan.
27.12.2011 - 16:03
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Pretty good album; I've never understood why so many hate this band, there were many bands much worse than Winger; Reb Beach is an amazing guitarist and Kip Winger delivered good vocal performances.

"Pull" and "IV" are great albums, much better than the debut.
27.12.2011 - 16:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

Mike Judge claims he single handedly destroyed Kip's career.

He might claim that but what destroyed Winger's career was Winger's horrible glam rock.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.12.2011 - 17:34
Rating: 8
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Written by Guest on 27.12.2011 at 16:03

Pretty good album; I've never understood why so many hate this band, there were many bands much worse than Winger; Reb Beach is an amazing guitarist and Kip Winger delivered good vocal performances.

"Pull" and "IV" are great albums, much better than the debut.

Completely agree on Reb's ability as a guitarist here. I haven't found a sound or style that's exactly like this since or before. Of course it's played within glam metal confines, but there's some refreshing playing going on here. Kip's voice is natural and a great mix of 80s metal style, a slight rasp, and it's sultry as well in the "Headed For A Heartbreak" single, something only a handful of 80s glam metal bands had.

I get tired of the release after multiple listens, but it always comes back when I need a slight deviation from my usual playlist. I haven't heard enough of Pull and IV to accurately judge, perhaps soon now.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
29.12.2011 - 00:49
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Spin it any way you guys want to. it's still glam metal and a product of record companies greed and corporate america...
----
rekt
31.12.2011 - 06:51
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
These guys are definitely pretty shitty but I still don't understand the hate they get.

Were they extremely popular at some point or something? I'd be curious to check out that Hendrix cover.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
31.12.2011 - 07:02
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by tea[m]ster on 29.12.2011 at 00:49

Spin it any way you guys want to. it's still glam metal and a product of record companies greed and corporate america...

Just like every other band that has a record label, right?
*cough*hater*cough*
01.01.2012 - 06:25
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Guest on 31.12.2011 at 07:02

*cough*hater*cough*

hmmm...maybe I am naive but the glam metal era and its tags receive the most critism for manufactured - over saturated music...selling out...
----
rekt
01.01.2012 - 07:38
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by tea[m]ster on 01.01.2012 at 06:25

Written by Guest on 31.12.2011 at 07:02

*cough*hater*cough*

hmmm...maybe I am naive but the glam metal era and its tags receive the most critism for manufactured - over saturated music...selling out...

So, are you implying that there was Glam Metal (And other related tags like Pop Metal and Glam Metal) that was underground and, therefore good before it "sold out?" Glam Metal is infact a genre in itself, and has no back ties with other Metal genres except for similar punk and proto-metal influences.
Also, isn't all music technically "manufactured?" How does music become "oversaturated?"
01.01.2012 - 07:41
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Before this off-topic continues, may I suggest the sell-out discussions be taken here: http://www.metalstorm.net/forum/topic.php?topic_id=8164.

Thanks.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
19.10.2012 - 19:14
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 31.12.2011 at 06:51

These guys are definitely pretty shitty but I still don't understand the hate they get.

Were they extremely popular at some point or something? I'd be curious to check out that Hendrix cover.

They were very popular when the debut was released, and them went downhill after that (the 90's: Hard rock declining, Alternative rock gaining more mainstream). Kip Winger once said that no one would make fun of his band, and them they started to be ridiculed in this cartoon mentioned above... I forgot the name... and there's also a scene of Lars (from metallica) throwing darts at his poster. All of that helped to grow the hate against them. And that cover isn't good at all.
21.06.2014 - 13:23
Rating: 9
satans nuts

Being a 45 year old rocker, I grew up on bands like winger. very underrated band. I saw them in Bristol last night!.... still got what it takes.
in my opinion karma is the best album they've done so far
27.04.2020 - 23:03
Rating: 9
Metal Rasputin

My ultimate guilty pleasure album to end all guilty pleasure albums. Everyone everywhere seems to hate this band, Winger is supposed to be the absolute monument of pretty much everything that was terrible about hair metal. But then again I can't but enjoy this one, it's great fun on its own right. I mean, these guys are not your average horny glam metal dudes, but highly skilled professionals pretending to be ones. I guess the unhealthy dose of pretentiousness is one reason why so many people find this stuff in particularly so annoying.

I'd say their idea of trying to mix some prog and glam was doomed from the start, since they couldn't really go too far with more tricky stuff without alienating the target audience, and on the other hand when they toned it down, it just felt like talented musicians trying to cash in with the already tired and dying genre. So yeah, I think it musically great stuff, but the dumbed down and cliche'd lyrics drag it down quite a bit. Take "Hungry" for example: great song, but White Lion already did those goofy lyrics nearly word to word years before Winger.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
28.10.2020 - 19:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I might not wear Winger T shirt as Stuart did, but I listen this, so Pelvis and Butter hand was wrong. It has rytm, melody, some atmosphere, good studio work, whit good musicians, decent songs, you can listen it. I dont hate this one, but somehow David C and now this band somehow write lyrics are they smallest muscle in the body are high and they need a women as Ratt song says. I am not love or sex lyric fan, even I like those 80's videos, but well.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 5168 | This month: 16