06. Lapochka
07. In Absentia
08. Imago
09. Molochwalker
10. Trinkets Pale Of Moon
11. Vedamalady
12. Noctourniquet
13. Zed And Two Naughts

And now for something completely different. It is simply the combustion of great ideas and forward-thinking execution. The weirdness is addicting, the electronic volts are fiery and the dreamy voice is the icing on the cake. There is nothing wrong with tasting something a little bit different.

BloodTears's picks | More picks ››

Found in 17 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 20   Visited by: 296 users
04.02.2012 - 17:22
Rating: 8
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Can't wait for this one, the cover is.. interesting.
06.03.2012 - 00:06
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Absolutely bizarre yet palatable... one of the most interesting albums I've heard in a while. The sound and tone choices at times always amaze me.
30.03.2012 - 08:29
elekctric

Written by Introspekrieg on 06.03.2012 at 00:06

Absolutely bizarre yet palatable... one of the most interesting albums I've heard in a while. The sound and tone choices at times always amaze me.

I have to agree ... gonna take a few listens to get it i think... but that is the Mars Volta.... most of em i have heard take a few run throughs to actually get and then it just sticks in your brain.
30.03.2012 - 19:21
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I liked this one. It's strange that they made another album ballad-centered after "Octhaedron", but there are some great rock tunes anyway.
Strange how I hated it at first listen but at the second one it was great
31.03.2012 - 20:23
João Pirucas
Mr. Piruson
I don't think the album is ballad oriented... maybe song oriented. But anyway, it's very psychedelic but less frenetic than the old ones. Overall it's a great album and Deantoni Parks kills it on the drums, the guy is awesome! He reminds me of Dillinger Escape Plan's kind of drumming at times.
01.04.2012 - 08:41
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by João Pirucas on 31.03.2012 at 20:23

I don't think the album is ballad oriented... maybe song oriented.

You are probably right.
Song oriented with several ballads, deal?

And I agree with the DEP reference. He also reminded me of Shining (NOR), excellent drumming.
18.04.2012 - 02:15
strade

I have no idea why this band is on MS, but I definitely enjoyed the hell out of this record. Some awesome songs and a great experimental sound caress this one, even if it is pop.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
18.04.2012 - 04:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by strade on 18.04.2012 at 02:15
I have no idea why this band is on MS, but I definitely enjoyed the hell out of this record.

I'm not one to question what appears in our database often... but The Mars Volta? I enjoyed their live jam session release but don't have a clue as to why they're here. :/
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.04.2012 - 06:26
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.04.2012 at 04:05

I'm not one to question what appears in our database often... but The Mars Volta? I enjoyed their live jam session release but don't have a clue as to why they're here. :/

Weird, non-mainstream rock that's more of a challenge to get on board with than much of metal on the whole. Seems pretty relevant to this site to me - just because it doesn't have some trite downtuned guitars doesn't mean it's less "metal" than your average flower metal/melodica generica melodeath band in my opinion (going from my own perspectives; A Mars Volta release is something I won't just chuck on play for 30 seconds to see if it has a sound worth listening to, unlike your average, run of the mill death/atmos-black etc. band). One of the most perplexing bands I've seen live too.

Actually I'm only listening to this album for the first time now. Pretty hammered but I like what I hear a lot.
18.04.2012 - 06:50
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 18.04.2012 at 06:26
Weird, non-mainstream rock that's more of a challenge to get on board with than much of metal on the whole. Seems pretty relevant to this site to me - just because it doesn't have some trite downtuned guitars doesn't mean it's less "metal" than your average flower metal/melodica generica melodeath band in my opinion (going from my own perspectives; A Mars Volta release is something I won't just chuck on play for 30 seconds to see if it has a sound worth listening to, unlike your average, run of the mill death/atmos-black etc. band). One of the most perplexing bands I've seen live too.

Hm... I suppose I can agree with all of that, although I haven't seen them (or any band) live so I can't comment on that part.

I suppose these guys aren't the least appropriate band on the site anyway.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.04.2012 - 06:55
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.04.2012 at 06:50

Hm... I suppose I can agree with all of that, although I haven't seen them (or any band) live so I can't comment on that part.

I suppose these guys aren't the least appropriate band on the site anyway.

I can definitely think of some more questionable choices

Honestly, I've never seen a band live where the singer has insisted on himself physically getting behind every banner attached/pasted onto the stage, wandering around underneath the stage itself and generally being quite spacky and odd. It was quite entertaining.
18.04.2012 - 12:10
R'Vannith
ghedengi
I've always felt these guys to be more at home in the metal rather than alternative rock crowd.
22.04.2012 - 02:43
Rating: 7
hadriel

Great album, one of the few I've actually enjoyed this year so far
01.05.2012 - 21:56
Coolingsrock

Couldnt help but notice everyone here that voted gave it a 8
04.07.2012 - 01:22
infernaldeath87

I love this band and album!
05.07.2012 - 12:02
SymphonyImpaled

Mars Volta have always made interesting music, since debut... I'm sure this is no exception.
18.07.2012 - 06:23
Gelati

They're an incredibly interesting band from both political and musical standpoints. Whether you think they're metal or not doesn't matter they're very forward thinking and, perhaps most importantly, really fun to listen to. De-loused in the Comatorium is one of the greatest albums of all time. A lot of people don't like this new direction but I like that they've matured and still put out quality releases.
05.08.2012 - 18:13
Night Sight

One of the best releases of the year
it is amazing and solid release
it is not much irrevelent to metal and doesnt matter futuring on ms
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
01.10.2012 - 14:28
Rating: 9
PocketMetal

Loved this ! amazing songs ... "Empty Vessels Make The Loudest Sound" is my favorite .
03.02.2013 - 17:50
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
A very good album. I don't see much point in comparing it to the band's previous releases. But on its own "Nocturniquet" stands firm. Too bad this album is gonna be a swan song of such a unique band.
The music presented here is complex and multi-layered, even though it might appear accessible at first. I guess, the only reason that prevents me from giving this album a higher score is that it's like a steady flow from beginning till the end, which is only natural given that all the songs are connected lyrically. But the fact is my spoiled ears crave for more diversity.
Other than that I really recommend this album to anyone interested in progressive and unorthodox music.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"

Hits total: 11208 | This month: 16