04. Crawling In The Shadows
05. In A Wake
06. Repulsive
07. Among The Vultures
08. Show No Fear
09. Restless Mind
10. Left Behind
11. Killing In The Name [Rage Against The Machine cover]

Of all the bigger names of the resurgence of popular(ish) thrash, Bonded By Blood have remained the one that I haven't ever really wanted to put on. Their stuff hasn't been all that bad, it's just it's always felt more stale than the work of Warbringer, Havok and the like. They never quite provided the right amount of uniqueness with their tunes to make their albums must-buys.

I honestly wish I could say that this changes all that, but it just doesn't. It has a number of the ingredients necessary for being great?the new more Steve Souza/ Nuclear Assault-like vocals work better with the overall sound than the old vocalist's did, the axe-work is top-shelf from beginning to end, the new bassist sounds excellent, and the band is playing more cohesively than before--but everything is brought crumbling down by the lacking consistency in the songwriting department and the weak, Worlds Torn Asunder-y production job on this thing.

At least their previous albums all had it going for them that they were sufficiently loud; this thing sounds fully contained and smothered by the pillowy production?words that just can't be applied to a good, old fashioned, vicious thrash record. The riffing provides ample fists aimed at the face, but they're all shielded by the Serta-sponsored mixing.

It's well-executed, technical Bay Area-style thrash that's mixed to sound flaccid. It's a for-Bonded-fans only sort of deal, which is a goddamn shame considering the improvements these guys have made since 2010.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 5
Production: 5

Written on 03.10.2012 by Wormdrink's real name is George and he's an American.

Comments

Comments: 15   Visited by: 176 users
03.10.2012 - 05:00
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
"The new more Steve Souza/Nuclear Assault-like vocals work better with the overall sound than the old vocalist's did"

The only part of this review I disagree with. Jose Aladdin (or whatever his name was) actually had a very "classic thrash" sounding voice in my opinion, which went perfect with the riffs. I'd say "Necropsy" off of Feed the Beast is a perfect example. Idk, maybe you're hearing something I'm not, listening is all subjective after all I suppose. Other than that, I agree with your rating and review. This has been the first BBB album that was actually a big disappointment for me, so for now I'll stick to Feed the Beast and Exiled to Earth and just hope that this new lineup improves with their next album.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
03.10.2012 - 05:01
Dani5050

I have to agree with this review I gave up on this guys.
03.10.2012 - 06:34
Mattybu

Might check it out. Never got overly hyped about these guys, but honestly if it's like Worlds Torn Asunder that's a good thing in my books.
03.10.2012 - 13:33
Rating: 5
Joppe
Steelemeister
Good points in this review. I'd rate performance and songwriting lower though due to vocals (weakish, lacks the aggression Jose had and even sounds somewhat out of place in thrash) and drumming (mundane mostly). And while the album has some pretty good leads and solos the absence of second quitar doesn't do any good especially on the riffs.

Written by Auntie Sahar on 03.10.2012 at 05:00

Jose Aladdin (or whatever his name was) actually had a very "classic thrash" sounding voice in my opinion, which went perfect with the riffs. I'd say "Necropsy" off of Feed the Beast is a perfect example. Idk, maybe you're hearing something I'm not, listening is all subjective after all I suppose.

Agreed. For me Jose's vocals on "Exiled to Earth" sounded very authentic and raw quite like Paul Baloff's vocals on "Bonded by Blood". Mauro, the new vocalist is totally lacking on that aspect.

Written by Auntie Sahar on 03.10.2012 at 05:00

This has been the first BBB album that was actually a big disappointment for me, so for now I'll stick to Feed the Beast and Exiled to Earth and just hope that this new lineup improves with their next album.

Same for me.
----
My vision is augmented
03.10.2012 - 19:02
SilentScream
Blasphemer
Many have given this album rather mediocre reviews...I guess I must disagree, I really like it. The riffs are just absolutely killer, and the new singer adds something VERY interesting to the music.

I'm definitely buying this.
03.10.2012 - 23:11
.Nick

I still like Feed The Beast the most, but thought this one was better again than Exiled To Earth.
Nothing original, but a more than entertaining album imo.
04.10.2012 - 02:56
LordHypnos
Account deleted
I'm still looking for some underrated thrash metal gems. Could anyone recommend me some?
04.10.2012 - 03:57
wormdrink414

Written by Guest on 04.10.2012 at 02:56

I'm still looking for some underrated thrash metal gems. Could anyone recommend me some?

If you're talking about newer thrash gems, first two that come to mind came out this year: Onward To The Pits by Deathhammer and March to the Death by Incapacitate. Both underrated in the sense that they have 10 or fewer votes a pop here.
04.10.2012 - 16:35
Rating: 5
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Kinda sad to see this band falling apart so quickly. I really enjoy their debut "Feed The Beast", it's probably something heavily influenced by the 80's, but it is really well done, better than some other praised and kinda boring debuts like "War Without End" of Warbringer. I gotta say I'm quite disappointed about this guys, their previous album was bad, but this one is even worse. Too bad for them, I really had high expectations in the past.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
04.10.2012 - 18:11
Sir Thrashalot

I was actually trying to get into BBB, the first albums left me with a "yeah, good album, won't listen to this for years, but they have potential, new album will be good". Unfortunately, no. Saw them live this year, good band to see live, there's a lot more energy there than there is on the albums, but seriously, The Aftermath just doesn't make the cut. Under aggresive riffs, repetitive, powerless drumming and only one guitar... Singer's ok, not great but ok, lacks finish, but still ok. Will not be expecting these guys to make a classic or even great album like some new Thrash albums, "Time is Up" from Havok or Revocation's "Chaos of Forms". Shame ...
05.10.2012 - 02:25
LordHypnos
Account deleted
Written by wormdrink414 on 04.10.2012 at 03:57

If you're talking about newer thrash gems, first two that come to mind came out this year: Onward To The Pits by Deathhammer and March to the Death by Incapacitate. Both underrated in the sense that they have 10 or fewer votes a pop here.

I'll check 'em out. Thanks, man.
05.10.2012 - 05:47
SilentScream
Blasphemer
Written by wormdrink414 on 04.10.2012 at 03:57

Is it this that you are reffering to?

Not exactly what I would call a gem....
05.10.2012 - 13:54
wormdrink414

That's what I'm referring to.
05.10.2012 - 20:33
Blackhand

Boring.
16.10.2012 - 17:53
Edmund Fogg

Check out the new Rumpel-something- Grinder and the new Lich King
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan

Hits total: 5760 | This month: 11