Metal Storm logo
Sisters of Mercy

19.05.2006 - 09:07
Zeraphine
Lazy Bastard
well i suppose there's no need to write any introductions for this band. many of you probably already heart of them at least. their music touched me from the first time i heard Black Planet and the complete First and Last and Always album which followed. Nine While Nine, Marian, Something Fast, Detonation Boulevard, Lucretia My Reflection and many many other songs are daily in my winamp playlist and in my ears. any other opinions?
19.05.2006 - 16:28
Deus Ex Machina
Yes of course there's no need to introduce The Sisters Of Mercy to anyone who hasn't been living under a rock all his life and has any musical sense at all
I'm really fond of The Sisters Of Mercy and i'm finally seeing them in concert in a couple of weeks.I'm pretty anxious to see how that turns out since Rozz told me they're not all that great live,but as i said-people will probably attend the show in a large number since their name and fame is cult here,as is everywhere else.They will probably play a bunch of new stuff that i don't even know..heh..wait and see i guess.
When The Sisters were in their prime,they were absolutely amazing.A lot of bands were influenced by their music and that's also one of the reasons that The Sisters are so important...you can hear their touch in a lot of things.For me "First and last and always" is and always will be one of the dearest albums.Not to mention how good "Floodland" and "Vision thing" are.But their first full-length is just special to me.
Eldritch has also always seemed like an interesting character...with his quirks...alwys so neurotic,never getting along with anyone...
Back to the point-so much favorite songs...Black planet,Alice,Lucretia my reflection,Under the gun...and a lot of others.No point in making a huge list.
And lately-i like how some bands sucesfully covered their songs like for example the In Extremo cover of "This corrosion"-some people disliked it,yes it's a bit different from the original and has a completely different feel to it but i quite liked it..i thought it was kind of cute(but oh yes....the original is waaaaay better)
And then the Cradle Of Filth cover of "No time to cry"-well i think CoF did an amazing job on that one.They were really spot on.The cover is just as good as the origignal.Maybe even more interesting.
And to conclude this rant you had to read,if you read it...HELL YEA I LIKE 'EM
20.05.2006 - 16:56
Zeraphine
Lazy Bastard
alice in her party dress
she thanks you kindly so serene
she needs you like she needs her tranqs to tell her that the world is clean

20.05.2006 - 17:05
Dam3k
U've gotta a Sisters of Mercy fan here =)) It's hard to find people who really know a TRUE gothic band, not Lacuna Coil, Within Temptation and all that shitty-gothic stuff, I can assure u that most of people who says "I'm gothic" don't even know Bauhaus or Joy Division. Great band this one my favourite song is The Temple of Love and This Corrosion...anyway everyone is AWESOME
----

13.06.2006 - 03:10
Deus Ex Machina
Written by Zeraphine on 20.05.2006 at 16:56

alice in her party dress

Hihi,i can't get that song out of my head.I've been singing it whatever i do.I don't know....i seem to have this whole relationship with the song and with Alice
14.06.2006 - 21:38
Zeraphine
Lazy Bastard
Written by Deus Ex Machina on 13.06.2006 at 03:10

Written by Zeraphine on 20.05.2006 at 16:56

alice in her party dress

Hihi,i can't get that song out of my head.I've been singing it whatever i do.I don't know....i seem to have this whole relationship with the song and with Alice

i've got various relationships with various Sisters songs actually. ) the tightest one seems to be with "Some Kind of Stranger" though.
14.06.2006 - 22:56
Shojo
Account deleted
I only listened to their album "Floodland" (my cousine recommended it) and I liked it, although I' not really in Gothic. I especially enjoy listening to the saxophone solo on Dominion/Mother Russia. I think that I will buy more of their stuff. They are really unique.
22.06.2006 - 16:17
Abortion
Account deleted
Oh, Sisters Of Mercy is an interesting band, and their music is good, but I haven't heard so many songs that I could say that I'm a fan. Gonna see 'em in Tuska Open Air Metal Festival at Hellsinki soon
22.06.2006 - 20:14
heresiarch
Forever Dead
I'm gonna see them on stage at TUSKA festival friday 30.6
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
23.06.2006 - 04:03
Dam3k
hey it's curious almost all the fans are girls!! I don't mean anything but it's just curious =)
----

13.07.2006 - 15:43
EvilWoman
Account deleted
I'm still the great fan of Sisters of Mercy. They were having a gig here in my hometown in Ljubljana, Slovenia some weeks ago. Quite a good gig. But if I compare it to the gig about 10 years ago, I have to admit that gig in the past was realy something. It was better in many ways: The drum machine is the same (hehehe...), but they were playing more in real, while now they were using a lot of solid computer and other contemporary shifts and help. But I have to admit: Andrew's vocal is still the same as it was in the past, it is killing you, it is the best colour of vocal of this genre of music, goth rock, I would say. Eldrich's voice brought me into their awesome years of their early beginings.
19.07.2006 - 10:17
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
I missed them a few months back, no one wanted to go with me or take me. Too bad, I heard they're great live.
Anyway, they have some of the most intelligent music out there, and some really great stuff. Very catchy and somber. Floodland is a huge step from the very guitar oriented First and Last and Always. This band has some really kick ass stuff, a lot better than most of thier goth rock counter parts. Unfortunately they have been ripped off a lot by many followers. Doktor Avalanche is a damn good drummer, one of my favorites, I thought it was hilarious when someone told me he was a drum machine, I think that might have made "him" great to me.
----
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys."
- Orson Welles
21.07.2006 - 21:26
VaronoZz
Vampbaron
My favourite rock band, and of course the best gothic rock band for me... They are amazing...
----
give praise for the blood it bled,
grant a rose for the dead...
22.07.2006 - 20:39
Richard
Elite
It's probably been at least a couple of years since I last listened to the Sisters of Mercy, but I own First and Last and Always, Floodland and Vision Thing. My favourite is probably Floodland, mainly for the 2 epic songs Dominion/Mother Russia and This Corrosion, both of which are really classy, almost majestic goth rock classics.

I've always been a big fan of Paradise Lost, who have cited the Sisters as an influence, which shows in some of the songs on PL's later albums. (PL also did a pretty good cover of Walk Away).
----
24.08.2006 - 11:53
Anathemani@c
I saw live the band that is formed from ex-members of Sisters of mercy.. They were simply just...... a MERCY! They suck.I don't know about Sisters of mercy, but the others made me never to think of listening to them...
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
31.08.2006 - 11:47
Zeraphine
Lazy Bastard
Written by Anathemani@c on 24.08.2006 at 11:53

I saw live the band that is formed from ex-members of Sisters of mercy.. They were simply just...... a MERCY! They suck.I don't know about Sisters of mercy, but the others made me never to think of listening to them...

well that's quite a pity. the band you're talking about is probably The Mission and well i actually like them a lot. the two bands are extremely different! give Sisters a try, you won't regret it! try First and Last and Always and i'm sure you'll change your opinion.
31.08.2006 - 12:22
Anathemani@c
Written by Zeraphine on 31.08.2006 at 11:47

well that's quite a pity. the band you're talking about is probably The Mission and well i actually like them a lot. the two bands are extremely different! give Sisters a try, you won't regret it! try First and Last and Always and i'm sure you'll change your opinion.

Yes it was thi mission. These guys SUCK!!! I hate theis style. So gay.. I can't stand it. They were haedliners. The show was John Cronin and the Aftermath (ft Duncan Patterson ex-Anathema member), Danny and Vincent Cavanagh acoustic with cello and finally The mission. Everyone had come for Anathema and Duncan Patterson. When Mission got on stage, after 3 songs the frontman said: you are very lucky to see us tonight and you should be glad that we came to Greece. After he said that everyone left.. So what expression should I now have? The mission..????Everyone was there for Anathema and Duncan Patterson.
----
Trapped in time
04.09.2006 - 21:52
VaronoZz
Vampbaron
Written by Anathemani@c on 31.08.2006 at 12:22

Yes it was thi mission. These guys SUCK!!! I hate theis style. So gay.. I can't stand it. They were haedliners. The show was John Cronin and the Aftermath (ft Duncan Patterson ex-Anathema member), Danny and Vincent Cavanagh acoustic with cello and finally The mission. Everyone had come for Anathema and Duncan Patterson. When Mission got on stage, after 3 songs the frontman said: you are very lucky to see us tonight and you should be glad that we came to Greece. After he said that everyone left.. So what expression should I now have? The mission..????Everyone was there for Anathema and Duncan Patterson.

At least you have a lot of concerts in greece, so stop complaining..! heh just kidding ;p. Unfortunately for us is unusual to enjoy concerts with such famous bands.. Fuck i live in a tiny island !
----
give praise for the blood it bled,
grant a rose for the dead...
08.09.2006 - 12:13
Zeraphine
Lazy Bastard
well we've had some good bands coming lately but we still didn't have Sisters or the Mission so boohoo. i'm not sure if we'll have them anytime soon.

@Anathemani@c... it all depends on the taste. i guess combining Anathema with the Mission is a bit weird since both bands have different styles and fans. i guess the singer's statement was a bit unapropriate but they still are a good band. now back to Sisters. as i said they're different. try them out! maybe you'll learn to enjoy them.
12.09.2006 - 02:58
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Elite

After he said that everyone left? I bet you weren't there Because there were MANY people watching the mission live! And not everyone had come for anathema! The Mission is a great band, one of the most influencial for gothic rock along with nosferatu, the fields of the nephilim and the sisters of mercy. Just because you can't understand a style you haven't listened to (judging from the fact you don't know the sisters of mercy) you can't call them gay, they definitely aren't, and they are an important rock act, especially for the gothic rock scene! Of courxe they deserved to be the headliners of the show, they knew what they were doing on stage. And if you wanne use words like gay about the mission, then anathema got much more gay with their latest album, so don't judge the mission, they have offered a lot to dark/romantic rock scene. But why am i sitting down to start a conversation that will lead nowhere since you don't know anything about gothic rock and the mission and the sisters of mercy and such? But i know, big part of the metal audience always tends to judge a style they can't understand or haven't tried to search it, so you're another bright example to prove this opinion of mine to me. For the history, The Mission performed greatly on stage that night in athens, they were the headliners, something they deserved. "Everyone had come for Anathema and Duncan Patterson", i didn't see this, the mission had their own fanbase as well, don't generalize so much, it ain't that good you know.
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
12.09.2006 - 12:58
Tomb Lily
Account deleted

Oh,yes,al the goths were there for Anathema and Duncan Patterson...ELEOS..
and i canot understand why you call them gay...oh,yes,everything non-metal is gay for you,i forgot.
And,anathema are now really commercial and play music that even pop listeners like,have been totally sold,and then you call the mission gay...whatever.
12.09.2006 - 18:46
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
I think the Sisters Of Mercy are actually a totally overrated band. Dont get me wrong, they have a lot of great tunes but I dont think the immense praise that they get for them is justifiable. They are treated as gods while in fact there were many far more influential and talented goth rock bands out there, both when it comes to the music and the lyrics. Andrew Eldritch is also a complete arrogant asshole, and that definitely doesnt add to the band's appeal.

So yeah, they are definitely a very good band but not as good as people make them out to be.
13.09.2006 - 13:30
Anathemani@c
Quote:
After he said that everyone left? I bet you weren't there Because there were MANY people watching the mission live! And not everyone had come for anathema! The Mission is a great band, one of the most influencial for gothic rock along with nosferatu, the fields of the nephilim and the sisters of mercy. Just because you can't understand a style you haven't listened to (judging from the fact you don't know the sisters of mercy) you can't call them gay, they definitely aren't, and they are an important rock act, especially for the gothic rock scene! Of courxe they deserved to be the headliners of the show, they knew what they were doing on stage. And if you wanne use words like gay about the mission, then anathema got much more gay with their latest album, so don't judge the mission, they have offered a lot to dark/romantic rock scene. But why am i sitting down to start a conversation that will lead nowhere since you don't know anything about gothic rock and the mission and the sisters of mercy and such? But i know, big part of the metal audience always tends to judge a style they can't understand or haven't tried to search it, so you're another bright example to prove this opinion of mine to me. For the history, The Mission performed greatly on stage that night in athens, they were the headliners, something they deserved. "Everyone had come for Anathema and Duncan Patterson", i didn't see this, the mission had their own fanbase as well, don't generalize so much, it ain't that good you know.

Of course they had audience. And I didn't say anything about their inspiration to other groups. I have tried to understand them. I was there for their first 5 songs. I couldn't stand the vocalist making such moves. And talking about anathema, they just changed their style. This has nothing to do with "gay". I have never seen Vincent making such moves on stage. Or even saying "Hey, we are a great band! You should feel lucky that we are here". And yes, this happened in Thessaloniki. I don't know about Athens.
----
Trapped in time
13.09.2006 - 13:42
Anathemani@c
Written by Zeraphine on 08.09.2006 at 12:13

well we've had some good bands coming lately but we still didn't have Sisters or the Mission so boohoo. i'm not sure if we'll have them anytime soon.

@Anathemani@c... it all depends on the taste. i guess combining Anathema with the Mission is a bit weird since both bands have different styles and fans. i guess the singer's statement was a bit unapropriate but they still are a good band. now back to Sisters. as i said they're different. try them out! maybe you'll learn to enjoy them.

Thanks for understanding. And I hope you 're right. I ll try them out.
----
Trapped in time
13.09.2006 - 14:39
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Elite
Quote:
Written by Anathemani@c on 13.09.2006 at 13:30

Of course they had audience. And I didn't say anything about their inspiration to other groups. I have tried to understand them. I was there for their first 5 songs. I couldn't stand the vocalist making such moves. And talking about anathema, they just changed their style. This has nothing to do with "gay". I have never seen Vincent making such moves on stage. Or even saying "Hey, we are a great band! You should feel lucky that we are here". And yes, this happened in Thessaloniki. I don't know about Athens.

You were talking about Thessaloniki! Aha! I was talking about Athens, everything was fine there, he didn't make such statements as in thessaloniki. And The Mission have nothing to do with gay. Just like Anathema, The Mission is all about emotions.
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
20.01.2016 - 22:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Great band what don't looks much as metal, and uber goth to, but what knows how to put eotions into music and lyrics .... I did like this one back in a days
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.03.2016 - 06:50
CassieZhang
I like their style, not the same punk music.

GIRLvow
01.04.2016 - 21:08
Rasputin
Written by jupitreas on 12.09.2006 at 18:46

I think the Sisters Of Mercy are actually a totally overrated band. Dont get me wrong, they have a lot of great tunes but I dont think the immense praise that they get for them is justifiable. They are treated as gods while in fact there were many far more influential and talented goth rock bands out there, both when it comes to the music and the lyrics. Andrew Eldritch is also a complete arrogant asshole, and that definitely doesnt add to the band's appeal.

So yeah, they are definitely a very good band but not as good as people make them out to be.

Like who?
You hear Sisters of Mercy and you cannot mistake them for anyone else, plus Eldritch himself stated that they never went for the "Goth" thing, people just pegged them that. Yeah you had S and the Banshees, or Lords of the New Church, but they never achieved either the status or the quality of the music. While I agree that musically there is not much going with Sisters of Mercy, their simplicity and the ability to make an album like First, Last and Always to still be good many years later is a testament enough for anyone, them being a fan or not.

Plus, how many bands have they influenced with their sound? Type O Negative, Nine Inch Nails, to an extent Ministry, The 69 Eyes, HIM, Entwine, Blutengel, Cradle of Filth and many others.

Sisters of Mercy and The Fields of the Nephilim, aside from Danzig of course, will still be those cult bands that made their mark at the right place and the right time, unlike the majority of shit that has been done these days that is not memorable at all.

I have to say that First, Last and Always was their best album. The Floodland was ok, it was not as good, and the Vision Thing was a disaster in comparison.
11.04.2016 - 00:39
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Written by Rasputin on 01.04.2016 at 21:08

Like who?
You hear Sisters of Mercy and you cannot mistake them for anyone else, plus Eldritch himself stated that they never went for the "Goth" thing, people just pegged them that. Yeah you had S and the Banshees, or Lords of the New Church, but they never achieved either the status or the quality of the music. While I agree that musically there is not much going with Sisters of Mercy, their simplicity and the ability to make an album like First, Last and Always to still be good many years later is a testament enough for anyone, them being a fan or not.

Plus, how many bands have they influenced with their sound? Type O Negative, Nine Inch Nails, to an extent Ministry, The 69 Eyes, HIM, Entwine, Blutengel, Cradle of Filth and many others.

Sisters of Mercy and The Fields of the Nephilim, aside from Danzig of course, will still be those cult bands that made their mark at the right place and the right time, unlike the majority of shit that has been done these days that is not memorable at all.

I have to say that First, Last and Always was their best album. The Floodland was ok, it was not as good, and the Vision Thing was a disaster in comparison.

Whoa, I think I will actually step in and defend this statement I made 10 years ago
I think I made it clear that I don't think SOM are worthless or anything like that, I merely stated that they are overrated. IMO, they get far more praise than what they actually deserve, considering their rather limited output throughout the years. They have FLAA, which is unquestionably a genre milestone, but their other albums are not quite as genre-defining (or as good). Furthermore, just listen to FLAA again, can you hear how often Eldritch is out of tune? FLAA was kinda a fluke, as you said - right place, right time.

Meanwhile, bands like Fields Of The Nephilim, The Cult, Bauhaus, The Cure, not to mention non-goth but very influential bands like The Sound, Comsat Angels, The Chameleons, Gary Numan and Killing Joke have many awesome releases that probably proved more influential in the long run.

So yeah, once again. SOM is not a bad band, they did release one genre-defining album, but otherwise their output is mediocre and therefore, overall, I'd say they are overrated.
13.04.2016 - 04:11
Rasputin
Written by jupitreas on 11.04.2016 at 00:39

Written by Rasputin on 01.04.2016 at 21:08

Like who?

Whoa, I think I will actually step in and defend this statement I made 10 years ago
I think I made it clear that I don't think SOM are worthless or anything like that, I merely stated that they are overrated. IMO, they get far more praise than what they actually deserve, considering their rather limited output throughout the years. They have FLAA, which is unquestionably a genre milestone, but their other albums are not quite as genre-defining (or as good). Furthermore, just listen to FLAA again, can you hear how often Eldritch is out of tune? FLAA was kinda a fluke, as you said - right place, right time.

Meanwhile, bands like Fields Of The Nephilim, The Cult, Bauhaus, The Cure, not to mention non-goth but very influential bands like The Sound, Comsat Angels, The Chameleons, Gary Numan and Killing Joke have many awesome releases that probably proved more influential in the long run.

So yeah, once again. SOM is not a bad band, they did release one genre-defining album, but otherwise their output is mediocre and therefore, overall, I'd say they are overrated.

I think I said that their other albums were not great. Plus, there is material when I believe they had another vocalist for a time, and whole bunch of stuff that was floating around for some time which not all of it was bad. I am agreeing with you that they had more hype than most bands, but that is because they influenced many bands. The list you provided is relatively unknown still to this day (aside from Killing Joke). Eldritch was out of tune yes, but in my eyes still a very pleasing listening experience opposed to overproduced autotune garbage that I hear these days. The last concert that SOM did was a disaster, and that one was during the Serbian "EXIT" festival in a city of Novi Sad. The band fell apart as soon as the girl left, and I have no idea why they never did more albums, but then again maybe that would be for the best, considering that aside from few songs on The Vision Thing, the album overall was just blah.