Metal Storm logo
Why Old School?

08.01.2013 - 23:09
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Why you still love the old school style in metal music ? Isn't its time over or what ? EDIT: if I have to choose between old school and Modern Music for SURE I will pick the old school one. But the thing I have said here comes from a debate that some metal fellows believe most of old schoolers had lack of knowledge in music those days so they have created that, nowadays we have modern music because of the knowledge improved then albums that have the old school vibes might not be produced anymore, but I still think albums with old school feeling can be produced again and they can be successful too,even in this period of time that seems Modern style has more customers.
08.01.2013 - 23:48
Edmund Fogg
Music, just like art, is not, or shouldn't be, confined to certain timelines. Should we destroy the Mona Lisa because we can now use photoshop?
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
09.01.2013 - 00:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Because it's way better than modern day metal, simple
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.01.2013 - 00:17
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Edmund Fogg on 08.01.2013 at 23:48

Music, just like art, is not, or shouldn't be, confined to certain timelines. Should we destroy the Mona Lisa because we can now use photoshop?

a picture is worth 1,000 words. so is this post.

well said.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
09.01.2013 - 00:24
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff

You just ended the thread. Congratulations.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
09.01.2013 - 00:39
Lit.
Account deleted
Because high school is murder.
09.01.2013 - 00:45
Guib
Thrash Talker
I think Edmund pretty much said it.

I don't see the probleme in enjoying music that was released way before you were even born I enjoy the Beatles, I enjoy some classical music that definitely went through time. Idk, music is just a matter of taste.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
09.01.2013 - 03:48
Mattybu

Bold part emphasized because, that's really up to opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_Fence

Installation art is rather interesting and it does serve a purpose. It can make you ponder the idea that art is supposed to be an eternal display, which is what gallery culture and classical art make it out to be, the "every piece is precious and must be preserved for all eternity" mentality.

Putting this in music terms I would say a live show is music confined to certain timelines. Sure you can tape it and sell it on DVD.... But watching it afterwards isn't the same as being there. The experience is made more special by the fact that it is temporary.

On topic: everyone likes old school metal because the old school bands didn't fuck around and they put out awesome music.
09.01.2013 - 04:11
Edmund Fogg
Written by Mattybu on 09.01.2013 at 03:48

Putting this in music terms I would say a live show is music confined to certain timelines. Sure you can tape it and sell it on DVD.... But watching it afterwards isn't the same as being there. The experience is made more special by the fact that it is temporary.

Why U twist ma words?!

I was talking about musical styles. Of course, in every form of art you have live performance that will be confined to a certain timeline while it's ongoing, but will brake free of those shackles a couple of decades later. We are still playing Shakespeare's plays. Houdini is still influential to many escape artist.... the list goes on.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
09.01.2013 - 04:28
Mattybu
Written by Edmund Fogg on 09.01.2013 at 04:11

Why U twist ma words?!

I was talking about musical styles. Of course, in every form of art you have live performance that will be confined to a certain timeline while it's ongoing, but will brake free of those shackles a couple of decades later. We are still playing Shakespeare's plays. Houdini is still influential to many escape artist.... the list goes on.

boi i aint be twistin no wurds ou chea ya hurr me. yall be like "music shouldn't be confined to a certain timeline" and i be like naaaaaw homie.

And yeah yeah that makes sense, I thought you were just talking about music, not any style in particular. However I do think it would be valuable to consider something like Running Fence - the very nature of that artwork is temporary.

Also even within musical styles.... You could argue that after a certain time they kind of do have a definitive beginning and end. Which is probably why people can look at a thrash band from the golden age and say that it will always be the best, just because it came from that golden age, and see a new band like Havok or what have you and automatically assume that it is scientifically impossible for them to be as good as an oldie because they weren't from the time when that era was "alive". If that makes any sense.
09.01.2013 - 04:29
Lit.
Account deleted

On topic: everyone likes old school metal because the old school bands didn't fuck around and they put out awesome music.

Bold part emphasized because, that's really up to opinion.
09.01.2013 - 04:31
Mattybu
Ok well, I think between Maiden and Metallica and Slayer and Priest and Rush and Zeppelin and Sabbath and Megadeth and Deep Purple and Pink Floyd and Saxon and 902 other bands most people find something they like and in their opinion is good.
09.01.2013 - 04:33
Mattybu
and then from there just apply the photoshop mona lisa logic.

edit: so to be a gaylord and rephrase my original on topic statement EVERYONE LIKES OLD SCHOOL METAL BECAUSE IN THE OPINION OF A LARGE NUMBER OF PEOPLE, THERE ARE A LOT OF GOOD OLD SCHOOL BANDS, ALBUMS, ETC, AND IN THE OPINION OF THOSE OPINIONATED INDIVIDUALS, A GENERAL OPINION IS HELD THAT THE MUSIC RETAINS IT'S VALUE OVER TIME. PENCILS
09.01.2013 - 06:01
Anthem
One always goes back to the source. For instance, Shall I listen to Dragonforce, they are good yes. But why not just listen to Iron Maiden. The perfected the craft of power metal. Prog metal, Dream theater. Neo classical. We can argue about Yngwies personality but he did start a new genre. I know because I am old enough to have experienced the transition from Eddie Van, to Rhandy, To Yngwie.

Blues and rock lovers always do this, they go back to the source. Robert Johnson, Ledbelly, Son House etc...
----
I swear by my life and love for it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor shall I ask another to live for me.

John Galt
09.01.2013 - 06:09
Guib
Thrash Talker
Why do you guys make it so complicated ?

The question was an easy one... (Why do you still love Old School Metal)

I think the answer can be shortened to ''Because Its Good''. lol
Why does it always have to be so complicated.
And the rest of her question is futile she answered it herself by creating this topic.
Assuming that some people still listen to old school metal means that its time ain't over The only
way it can be over is if nobody listen to it anymore. Quite simple.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
09.01.2013 - 07:18
john_mcc
Because I am old and I got into those bands when I was younger and they have kept their appeal to me, also nostalgia for the good old days when every day was summer in my memory and all of the rainy days have been conveniently forgotten.

Some of those bands from my youth were undeniably talented and put out classic albums that have stood the test of time that featured great songwriting combined with great performances, some were influential in the future development of Metal. Most of them were mediocre at best and it was only being 15 years old and somewhat of a fanatic for the genre that blinded me to just how average many of them were. That doesn't mean that I don't still like them because once they have got you then they have you, but I have no idea why anyone who is under 40 would listen to those bands today.

That said, there are 2 major advantages that bands from the 80s have over today's bands in terms of widespread appeal....

The Metal scene was more united back then (except of course for the "Hair Metal" bands who everyone hated) and is the common origin of today's disparate and often totally separate metal scenes. Death Metal fans and Power Metal fans often don't like each others' favourite bands very much but most of them can at least usually agree on 80s Maiden and 80s Metallica as being great. Older bands are usually safer choices that newer bands when talking music with a metalhead that you have just met, or putting together a Metal playlist for a radio station or a club that is not specifically targeted at a specific sub-genre. Not everyone likes older bands of course but try to imagine a Nightwish fan talking about Nightwish to a Doom Metal fan too see how much more scope there is for controversy with any newer band.

There is a general tendency for bands who are in at the beginning of a new genre to be better at it than the bands who follow them in most people's opinion, even if the bands who follow them are technically better. Here is my theory as to why this is so. Thrash bands in the 80s did not grow up listening to Thrash Metal, their main influences were not Thrash Metal bands, their main influences were not exactly the same as other Thrash Metal bands. They maybe did rip off another Thrash band or deliberately try to sound like they came from the Bay Area when they didn't but still they never quite managed to sound the same. You can hear an unreleased song that got lost in the vaults somewhere and know that it is them before the intro has finished. You can quite often tell what their influences actually were even as they sound nothing like them, it's pretty obvious from their music without knowing anything about the bands themselves that Holy Terror were Maiden fans whereas Slayer much preferred Judas Priest, but those influences were being translated into a new genre and not simply copied so they changed and evolved into something different. This gave them a freshness and individuality that bands who grew up listening to Thrash find hard to achieve when they themselves play Thrash Metal. Pretty much the worst thing that a Thrash Metal band can listen to is other Thrash bands, especially if they listen to nothing else with the same enthusiasm. The 80s were when all of the dominant sub-genres of today started.
09.01.2013 - 08:27
Fritillaria
Account deleted
If I have to choose between old school and Modern Music for SURE I will pick the old school one. But the thing I have said here comes from a debate that some metal fellows believe most of old schoolers had lack of knowledge in music those days so they have created that, nowadays we have modern music because of the knowledge improved then albums that have the old school vibes might not be produced anymore. Although some albums won't happen again but I still think albums with old school feeling can be produce again and they can be successful too,even in this period of time that seems Modern style has more customers.
09.01.2013 - 08:28
Fritillaria
Account deleted

yes true !
09.01.2013 - 14:04
Fredd
Account deleted
The same reason I'd keep listening to Arcturus when I grow up. BECAUSE FUCK EVERYBODY. Also because they will always be good to me.
09.01.2013 - 15:24
IronAngel
I have no particular love for the "old school." Some of it is good, some of it is bad. The vast majority of my absolute favorite abums and artists are from the 90s and 00s, though. I like where modern metal and music in general has been going. That's not to say I don't also like some past trends that have since then died down or gone underground. The best folk and country is from the 60s and 70s, 80s had some really good alternative rock currents going, the early 90s were exciting for the formation of more experimental metal styles, etc.

I'm not a thrash fan and don't care too much for classic/hard rock or heavy metal, so the "old-school" metal of the 70s and 80s has little to offer me, though.
09.01.2013 - 16:24
Jtbmetal123
It seems to me that the "Old School" music has better creativity and thoughts. Dont get me wrong now, Todays music is great is getting better as music gets heavier. I dont think their will be another Master Of Puppets. Thats about as metal as it gets.
09.01.2013 - 16:35
Jtbmetal123

Very true my friend.
09.01.2013 - 16:47
thundercunt
Account deleted
A brotha jus lissen to da music no matter when it come from
old school, new school, so long as it good, a brotha ain care
most tha rap and metal a brotha like come from all sorta years
09.01.2013 - 17:03
Valentin B
Iconoclast

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.01.2013 at 00:06

Because it's way better than modern day metal, simple

This is an example of an objective vs. a subjective response, and I mostly agree with the objective response. Another aspect of it is that everyone has different tastes, there's people who prefer Black Sabbath and hate Meshuggah and there's people who adore Asking Alexandria and despise early Metallica. And there's people who just need to get used to that.
09.01.2013 - 21:04
Candlemass
Defaeco
Because it's kvlt and tr0

Old school = more riffs!
Why only old school? dunno. I'm into most 'schools'.
09.01.2013 - 21:18
Zombie94
Written by [user id=130727] on 09.01.2013 at 08:27
some metal fellows believe most of old schoolers had lack of knowledge in music those days

If they believe that, well there's no point even discussing it with them. People haven't become any more or less genius/shit at making music just because technology has improved.

Written by [user id=130727] on 09.01.2013 at 08:27
nowadays we have modern music because of the knowledge improved then albums that have the old school vibes might not be produced anymore

Nowadays we have modern music BECAUSE it is nowadays! Not because some profound knowledge about making great music was discovered.

Anyway this is a debate that boils down to taste, and they can never be settled. Art is art and can never become objectively better or worse.
10.01.2013 - 23:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Old school - I kill motherfuckers
modern - Motherfuckers, I kill my self

I love not only old school metal but football, old school stadions, old school hockey and how men and women looks like

Man had longer hair, they wear deanim n leather, they had slim boddy they live this life what they did wa sreal, they simply live it they idnt have MS or facebook, where they talk nonsence, bars, streets, alcohol, cigarets , in those days mussic had a messge because it was FTW, anti sytehem, all could get some shity job, many ride bikes and simply didnt care for tommrow
nowdays ppl looks weird, play music, coppy child hood hearos , nothing isnt real only posing
and music was better, i listen old school, I neve rget bored, I listen modern I get bored
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.01.2013 - 05:51
Evil Chip
If it sound good sounds good. And I think the majority of new bands have really strong influences from those past bands and are not ashamed of admitting it. There is not such battle of Old vs New but only between the fans most of the time.
12.01.2013 - 09:36
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Good music is good music no matter what !! but i have to agree with you on this i just love old school not just metal IMO the best music ever produced up till now is between the 70's and 80's
12.01.2013 - 10:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Powerslavex on 12.01.2013 at 09:36

IMO the best music ever produced up till now is between the 70's and 80's

that is because now you only hear the good stuff from that era. But let me guarantee you that at the time just as much shit was released, percentage wise, as there is in the current day and age,
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996