04. The Black Flux
05. Intermission: The Ocean Highway
06. Inward Bound
07. Lost Peacocks
08. Shame Eclipse
09. Strange Calm

Additional info
Produced by Bård Ingebrigtsen & Virus.

Recorded and mixed at Amper Tone Studios, Oslo, June 2007 - July 2008.
Mastered at Strype Audio by Tom Kvålsvoll.
Layout, logo and band pictures by Trine + Kim Design Studio in cooperation with Virus.
Front cover photography by Sapfo Stavrides. Edited by Einz.

Found in 4 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 105 users
10.01.2013 - 22:21
InnerSelf
proofread free
Virus needs a couple of guitars a bass and drums to make Avantgarde Metal... learn kids.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
23.05.2013 - 17:25
Rating: 8
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
Written by InnerSelf on 10.01.2013 at 22:21

Virus needs a couple of guitars a bass and drums to make Avantgarde Metal... learn kids.

Well, actually, they used more instruments: piano, violin, keyboards and various effects samples, but the main instruments are just guitar, bass and drums - you are right.

As for the album... It's a great example of avant-garde metal. Not akin to aggressive kind of avant-garde like Unexpect that makes you lose your mind quickly but rather a kind that gradually rids you of your sanity.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
23.05.2013 - 22:25
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by NocturnalStalker on 23.05.2013 at 17:25

Written by InnerSelf on 10.01.2013 at 22:21

Well, actually, they used more instruments: piano, violin, keyboards and various effects samples, but the main instruments are just guitar, bass and drums - you are right.

As for the album... It's a great example of avant-garde metal. Not akin to aggressive kind of avant-garde like Unexpect that makes you lose your mind quickly but rather a kind that gradually rids you of your sanity.

What i meant was that the avantegarde aspect of their music lies within the guitar/bass/drum work and that they didn't need to overload the album with weird instrumentation to make it sound authentic and fresh.
And i too am not on the unexpect side of the genre
----
is not bold enough
24.05.2013 - 16:54
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
Written by InnerSelf on 23.05.2013 at 22:25

What i meant was that the avantegarde aspect of their music lies within the guitar/bass/drum work and that they didn't need to overload the album with weird instrumentation to make it sound authentic and fresh.
And i too am not on the unexpect side of the genre

I know, and you are surely right. Personally I like Unexpect and I like Virus as well as Sigh, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Ephel Duath, Atrox and tons of various avant-garde bands because there is plenty of diversity inside the genre, and I'm never bored.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
24.05.2013 - 19:22
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by NocturnalStalker on 24.05.2013 at 16:54

I know, and you are surely right. Personally I like Unexpect and I like Virus as well as Sigh, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Ephel Duath, Atrox and tons of various avant-garde bands because there is plenty of diversity inside the genre, and I'm never bored.

Yeah, I too enjoy DSO, Sigh, Arcturus (which are one of my absolute favorite bands) amongst many others in the genre ... like you said, it's never boring
----
is not bold enough
27.12.2013 - 22:24
Rating: 9
mz

The darkest, most difficult Virus album in my opinion.
Does this band ever cease to produce excellent music?
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
07.06.2016 - 06:58
Diverge

This is my first time listening to Virus, and I must admit that I'm quite pleased with their approach to avant-garde music. I'm loving those vocals as well. That being said, there's not quite enough variety to push this to the other side for me. This album for me is the definition of an 8/10- solid all the way around, with a few mind-blowing moments, but not a tour de force. Perhaps some of the later albums will enthrall me more.
28.06.2017 - 22:17
solar

Pretty nice avantgarde. Sounds like a softer version (both on vocals and instruments) of DSO
29.06.2017 - 01:38
Rating: 9
mz

Tbh I consider DsO to be the more extreme version of virus and not vice versa
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.

Hits total: 6886 | This month: 12