Metal Storm logo
The Mars Volta - Break Up

After a period of "hiatus", Texas prog band The Mars Volta is no more according to singer Cedric Bixler-Zavala, who posted a series of tweets. Also, this happens after guitarist Omar Rodriguez Lopez refused to take part in a US tour focusing instead on new project Bosnian Rainbows.

Bixler-Zavala's goodbye notes: "Thank u 2 all VOLTA fans u deserved more especially after the way u rooted for us on this album. I tried my hardest to keep it going but Bosnian Rainbows was what we all got instead. I can't sit here and pretend any more. I no longer am a member of Mars Volta. I honestly thank all of you for buying our records and coming to our shows. You guys were a blast to play in front of. We could never had done it with out you.

My dream was to get us to the point were Jon Theodore and Ikey Owens came back but sadly it's over. Thank u a million times over for ever giving a fuck about our band. For the record I tried my hardest to get a full scale North American tour going for Noctourniquet but Omar did not want to.

I guess a break from mars volta means starting another band and ignoring all the support the fans gave us. I tried my hardest guys All I can do is move forward with my music and just be happy that mars volta ever happened at all. God Damn we had a blast. Thank u again. I just feel really guilty for not even really saying the truth because a hiatus is just an insult to the fans. To all our fans all over the world thank you for giving a fuck. You all ruled! I don't think ill ever hear a fist full of dollars the same. My record will see the light of day soon and I'm excited because it sounds nothing like my previous endeavors."

The band's last album Noctourniquet came out last year. Zavala is working on a solo album while Bosnian Rainbows will release their debut album this year and tour the US next month. The Mars Volta released six albums in their 12-year career.

[Thanks to Ivor for the tip!]

Source: progrockmag.com
Band profile: The Mars Volta
Posted: 24.01.2013 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 14   Visited by: 198 users
24.01.2013 - 20:47
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Shit, and I never got to see them live. Hope it's just Cedric bitching and that Omar will get him to re-think what he did (now that sounded like a Mexican novel).
24.01.2013 - 22:24
Gelati

:-(... that's all.
24.01.2013 - 22:28
PocketMetal

I found about this today , such a great band their music is literally out of this world !
24.01.2013 - 22:49
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Too bad.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
25.01.2013 - 00:17
Lit.
Account deleted
Drama bomb!
25.01.2013 - 02:41
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Written by Boxcar Willy on 24.01.2013 at 22:49

Too bad.

Agreed
----
25.01.2013 - 05:48
Jtbmetal123

Wow, out of all the bands I thought would break up, I wouldve never thought them.
25.01.2013 - 06:43
schizodelight

Written by Unhealer on 24.01.2013 at 20:47

Shit, and I never got to see them live. Hope it's just Cedric bitching and that Omar will get him to re-think what he did (now that sounded like a Mexican novel).

I think it's more Omar than anything. Here's a quote from an interview the other day about his new project, and on Cedric's solo work since the hiatus.
"I'm really excited to hear another side of him and to work on music without me. He's composing all the music, playing all the instruments, literally doing everything himself, rather than just singing over the top of my songs"

Omar sounds more and more like a massive arrogant prick each time I read an interview of him. I wish they'd have at least gone on that American tour though, I've been waiting for so long. (for someeeone to...)
----
Prepare for unforeseen consequences.
25.01.2013 - 08:55
Whoblehwah

Damn. I didn't even know they were on hiatus. This sucks.
25.01.2013 - 10:03
Symmachus

I started listening to The Mars Volta in 2006 and grew up listening to this band; they helped get me into prog rock and, probably indirectly, metal music. This is huge news. I hadn't been following them too much as of recent, even though the Mars Volta are among my favorite bands, so this caught me quite by surprise. Wow, this is a sign of the times for sure. I feel old now.

Frances the Mute is one of the best albums known to mankind.
25.01.2013 - 10:27
qlacs
"The Quaker"
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...oooo...o.

Worst news so far this year. First two albums are damn fine.
----
25.01.2013 - 21:30
infernaldeath87

Very bad news to hear! I loved this band and will continue to jam to their music! Hopefully they reunite one day!
26.01.2013 - 03:03
WOW,i can't believe they are quiting.
They had such a nice project going on.De-loused in the comatorium is like one of my favorite cd's !!
You will be missed The Mars Volta!!
30.01.2013 - 04:54
lightndw

This guys were so much into the occult, the lead singer went crazy.

Hits total: 3800 | This month: 4