Metal Storm logo
The Crust Punk / D-Beat thread!

01.08.2014 - 22:28
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Aw yeah this shit was missed so as a parting gift before I venture into the dimension of solitary living arrangements without internet. I shall create this thread and I hope the content will shatter all our bones.

I think I started getting into this stuff for one or two years ago. I was familiar with the names of a couple of bands but never really checked them. When I was still just diving into the metal world I had a friend back when I was like 15 who listened mostly punk. At the time we didn't have many bands in common but I went with him to a couple of gigs and stuff. It was waaaay to raw for me back then but I did make a mental note to check on it later. Glad I did.

So yeah... I think one of the best scenes is the swedish one and that ain't because I'm swedish (HAH!).
Probably because there's a distinct metal edge to it since the scene is closely related with the old school swedish death metal scene as well. There's also a desperate vibe to it. I'm not saying depressive though just... Like with extra angsty sauce on the crust burger. Hmm yeah.
I'll post some of my favorite ones from Sweden. You kids better go nuts and recommend your shit because I don't wanna come back and be all alone here.
Yeah, I know that will happen but a man can dream.

Martyrdöd
Ok so contrary to what everyone expects, not all crust punk must be done in your basement. This is honestly quiet clean for the genre but damn it if the riffs don't shine through perfectly. Their 2012 album was teh tits and you should be all listening to this one AND the newest one they just got out.

Disfear
Ok this type of Crust is for those who still have some love for rock 'n' fucking roll. Disfear features Tomas Lindberg from At The Gates on vocals. The catchiness and groove of their style is infectious.

Skitsystem
Fuck yeah motherfucking Skitsystem. These guys gets me. Another band related to death metal when it comes to members. Probably my favorite Crust Punk band from Sweden and one of my absolute favorites overall. It's raw, fast, FUCKING PISSED OFF, groovy, some good political lyrics and just, well... ARGH! I'm annoyed because the quality of the videos with their entire albums isn't the best so I'll post a couple of songs here because I can, dammit.

Their third and so far latest album is their best though.

DISCUSS, POST, RECOMMEND AND ENJOY ALL THINGS CRUSTY!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.08.2014 - 22:40
Ilham
Giant robot
The way you add so much swearing. It just sounds like Butters trying to be tough and fly. So cute.

Anyway, I have to say the three bands mentioned all do a great job at it, but I would recommend trying Skitsystem first. Disfear would be my least favourite.

Johan told me about this band as well. But I know nothing more than these four, I am barely done reading stuff about the scene.

01.08.2014 - 22:42
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Ilham on 01.08.2014 at 22:40
The way you add so much swearing. It just sounds like Butters trying to be tough and fly. So cute.

I actually went overboard just because of that. it was mostly for Skitsystem though. You know, excitement and stuff. Plus their name means "Shit System". It'd be dumb if I didn't match it.
----
Rod, let me love you.
01.08.2014 - 22:48
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.08.2014 at 22:42

I actually went overboard just because of that. it was mostly for Skitsystem though. You know, excitement and stuff. Plus their name means "Shit System". It'd be dumb if I didn't match it.

Yeah I know what that means. But still. Butters with a latino accent trying to act gangsta, seriously. "FUCKING PEESSED OFF". Hilarious .

That Stigmata album is addictive.
01.08.2014 - 22:49
no one
Account deleted
I used to listen to crust punk... but don't laugh...whats the d- beat part ? does that stand for death beat or something??

i listened to Martyrdöd for the first time the other day enjoyed it quite a lot
01.08.2014 - 22:54
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by [user id=136611] on 01.08.2014 at 22:49
I used to listen to crust punk... but don't laugh...whats the d- beat part ? does that stand for death beat or something??

Nah I won't laugh... You are not alone on that one. D stands for Discharge as they are basically the founders of the drum beath that most Crust Punk, D-Beat and quite a few death metal bands (see old Entombed) use.
----
Rod, let me love you.
01.08.2014 - 23:24
no one
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.08.2014 at 22:54

Nah I won't laugh... You are not alone on that one. D stands for Discharge as they are basically the founders of the drum beath that most Crust Punk, D-Beat and quite a few death metal bands (see old Entombed) use.

makes sense as i like discharge
02.08.2014 - 01:14
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by [user id=136611] on 01.08.2014 at 22:49

When I first read the thread I misread it as "DJ beat", and thought it was something related to remixes or something... =P
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
03.08.2014 - 21:21
Lit.
Account deleted
Oh, god. I don't know nearly as much about this stuff as I should. The only band I can think of are these guys, but they seem more grindish than crust punk.

30.09.2014 - 00:09
vgmaster9
I really like this song.

02.10.2014 - 20:16
MisfitMel
Right on. I'm not very familiar with a lot of crust punk artists, so I'm definitely going to check these ones out. I'm a big fan of the old skool extreme punk sound of discharge and gbh, as well as early thrash fusion bands like The Plasmatics. Which BTW I don't know why the Plasmatics are not on metalstorm. I'm actually offended, but I guesstthey ha sent been absorved into trendy fuck hipster garbage by the masses. To go completely unnoticed though is pretty lame. :/
24.02.2015 - 09:20
Deathmaster
Well to me Discharge's Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing is Ground zero for Punk and also one of my all time favorite punk albums. Is no one going to talk about Amebix, Winter or Nasuea (NY)?
----
"While I live let me live deep."-Robert Howard
24.02.2015 - 12:02
raveneffect
Glad I got this thread.

I'm not the most knowledged guy when it comes to this sound. I'm looking for stuff simillar to Inepsy, Speedwolf, Overcharge, just Metal infused -D-Beat , whatever
09.03.2015 - 15:37
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
Raped Ass by Anti Cimex is probably my favorite example of this genre, although part of the reason might lie in the name.
10.03.2015 - 21:23
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by John Barleycorn on 09.03.2015 at 15:37
attention grab

good to see you still checking in from time to time!

(now back to your regularly scheduled thread.)
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
10.03.2015 - 22:02
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Would someone bother to explain the difference between Crust punk and hardcore grind?
----
The Fangirl.
18.03.2015 - 18:21
angel.
Evil Butterfly
And the thread went dead for days after my mind blowing question.
----
The Fangirl.
21.03.2015 - 12:11
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by angel. on 18.03.2015 at 18:21

Just now I saw this... Anyways, grindcore has still metal thrown into it because... That's the basis on grindcore. Crust Punk doesn't really have anything to do with metal. the production tends to be different too. Crust Punk is... well... Crusty. Not to mention that it can go to slower paces and is overall much groovy.

Honestly, I find them pretty different. xD
----
Rod, let me love you.
21.03.2015 - 13:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 21.03.2015 at 12:11

Just now I saw this... Anyways, grindcore has still metal thrown into it because... That's the basis on grindcore. Crust Punk doesn't really have anything to do with metal. the production tends to be different too. Crust Punk is... well... Crusty. Not to mention that it can go to slower paces and is overall much groovy.

Actually the basis of grindcore is punk/hardcore not metal. Just listen to early Carcass and Napalm Death en Repulsion But of course it also has metal added to it. Griindcore evolved out of punk/hardcore and not out of metal.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.03.2015 - 13:17
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.03.2015 at 13:16

Written by X-Ray Rod on 21.03.2015 at 12:11

Actually the basis of grindcore is punk/hardcore not metal. Just listen to early Carcass and Napalm Death en Repulsion

Heh yeah, you are right. But there's still some metal thrown into it unlike crust punk right?
----
Rod, let me love you.
21.03.2015 - 13:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 21.03.2015 at 13:17

Heh yeah, you are right. But there's still some metal thrown into it unlike crust punk right?

Read what I added after 'Repulsion'.

But you said the basis of grindcore is metal, and that is certainly not the case
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.03.2015 - 13:21
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.03.2015 at 13:19

Written by X-Ray Rod on 21.03.2015 at 13:17

Read what I added after 'Repulsion'.

But you said the basis of grindcore is metal, and that is certainly not the case

Ah, I didn't see the part after Repulsion. I guess you edited it. Like I said before, I was wrong. Grindcore is not based on metal. But moving on: The difference is that crust punk has like... no metal in it, right? (plus the overall structure I'd say)
----
Rod, let me love you.
21.03.2015 - 13:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Crust punk has no metal in it at all.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.03.2015 - 13:24
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
... There goes my dream of having more swedish crust punk in the MS database.
----
Rod, let me love you.
22.03.2015 - 04:27
Lit.
Account deleted
Marcel destroyed many dreams this day.
24.03.2015 - 18:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by X-Ray Rod on 21.03.2015 at 13:24

... There goes my dream of having more swedish crust punk in the MS database.

Ask Johan
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.04.2015 - 08:56
Totenlieder
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.03.2015 at 13:23

Crust punk has no metal in it at all.

I don't know about that man.
Some crust has ties to black metal and vise verse.
----
Blut & Krieg
11.04.2015 - 13:48
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Well, crust has some metal influence, but it is just one of the many influences it has. The most obvious influence are Motorhead (although whether we call them metal or just rock'n'roll is debatable) and Black Sabbath, with many early crust bands also citing Venom and Hellhammer/Celtic Frost as influences. I'd say that overall, the punk/hardcore, post-punk and noise rock influences are more pronounced, Amebix often sounds like a Killing Joke cover band...
03.09.2015 - 15:05
For fans of hard blasting grind and raw d-beat, soggy endo https://soggyendo.bandcamp.com/album/broke-but-still-flossin-ep
04.09.2015 - 01:01
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by soggydoggy000 on 03.09.2015 at 15:05

For fans of hard blasting grind and raw d-beat, soggy endo https://soggyendo.bandcamp.com/album/broke-but-still-flossin-ep

tks. fyi the deletion was me deleting a duplicate of this post.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!