Metal Storm logo
Thrash Recommendations

Original post

Posted by Doc G., 14.04.2007 - 06:14
Ok, I searched and I dont think I could find a topi to recommend/discuss thrash. Why Im posting this thread is because I must admit that there are very few thrash bands out there that dont bore me, these few would be bands like Megadeth, Sodom, and Kreator. I really enjoy Hybrid thrash though (thrash mixed with another genre) I.E. Keep Of Kalessin, black metal but highly thrash-like aswell. So particularly I would like to hear some recommendations on hybrid thrash, but feel free to recommend straight-up thrash aswell just to keep the topic open.

BTW- Please try and make the recommendations useful, dont recommend bands that Ive likely already heard, like Slayer or Metalica.
04.11.2007 - 05:30
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 03.11.2007 at 20:31

To add something a little more, I really dig thrash fusion genres, like....

death/thrash!!!! You'll love the shit....

Bands like:
Protector
Demolition Hammer
Morbid Saint
Possessed

Black/thrash is also sweet, bands like:
Absu
Toxic Holocaust
Destroyer 666 (overrated IMO but still pretty good I guess)
Witchery
Necrodeath
Gospel of the Horns

.....and if you're not into that, which I can't imagine why you wouldn't be, just go for normal thrash I guess, and if you want a list of good normal thrash, here:

Annihilator
Onslaught
Slayer
Kreator
Sodom
Destruction
Nocturnal
Tankard
Overkill
Nuclear Assault
early Anthrax
early Sepultura
Megadeth
Forbidden
Testament
Exodus (with Zetro, fuck Paul Ballof he sucks)
Whiplash
Sadus
Coroner
Vio-Lence
Razor
Artillery
Heathen

Have fun....

Oh good, another big long ass list, like I cant just go onto any metal website and type in 'Thrash' to find the same list. I kind of started a reccomendations thread so someone could bring up some unique bands and describe them individually, this does not help me.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
04.11.2007 - 10:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Doc G. on 04.11.2007 at 05:30

Oh good, another big long ass list, like I cant just go onto any metal website and type in 'Thrash' to find the same list. I kind of started a reccomendations thread so someone could bring up some unique bands and describe them individually, this does not help me.

I agree but I know 95% of them whit no looking in MA so I think all meatlheads know them
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.11.2007 - 16:18
Mad Laughter
Account deleted
God dammit. I fucking gave good, unique examples of awesome death/thrash and black/thrash bands that I thought would be helpful. Then I gave a list of ordinary thrash bands so people wouldn't bitch at me....and i got bitched at anyways.....fuck.
04.11.2007 - 19:02
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
Harm I've been listening to their latest album for quite long (it was released in 2006). If you want to hear something from them: http://www.myspace.com/harmmetal
05.11.2007 - 18:37
Dr. Seuss
Account deleted
Sodom
assorted heap
kreator
Destruction
A.R.G.
Negligence
Flotsam and Jetsam
lunacy
Deathrow (Ger)
At War
Harter Attack
Acid Storm
arbitrater
Believer
Living Death
Accu§er
Overkill (US)
D.A.M.
Delirium Tremens (Ger)
Ulysses Siren
Annihilator
Hirax
Arakain
Atomica (Bra)
Azotic Reign
Forced Entry (US) - As Above, So Below
Forbidden (US)
Poltergeist
Pyracanda
Atrophy (US)
Gammacide
Bywar
Overthrow (Can)
Armoros
Lost Soul (US)
Fatal Embrace (Ger)
Buried God
Despair
Toxic Shock (Ger)
Assassin (Ger)
Detritus
Terror Squad
Anacrusis (US)
Suicidal Tendencies
Omnitron
Hatrix
Slammer (UK)
Fastkill
Violent Force
Sacrilege B.C.
Incinerator (Ita)
Tyrant's Reign
Deathwish (UK)
Taurus (Bra)
Viking (US)
Mortal Sin (Aus)
Fallen Angel (Swe)
agent steel
MX (Bra)
Heathen
Abomination (US)
Demolition Hammer
Hellbastard
Violator (Bra)
Desilence
Wargasm (US)
Onslaught (UK) - The Force album
Dyoxen
Artillery
Razor
Protector
Horde of Torment
Coven (US)
Energetic Krusher
Shah
Sacrament (US)
Re-Animator (UK)
Evile (UK)
Target (Bel)
Deathamin
Stone
Faith or Fear
Vendetta (Ger)
Eudoxis
Death Power
Sacred Reich
Death Angel
Exhorder
Bloodride (Fin)
Exodus
Cryptic Slaughter
Cardinal Sin (Pri)
Exumer
Flesh Made Sin

the list is endless.
05.11.2007 - 21:56
Mad Laughter
Account deleted
Ok, if they don't yell at Dr. Seuss then this forum is fucked up.
05.11.2007 - 21:57
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Posting such a list is indeed pretty useless. Ever heard of a small description?
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
05.11.2007 - 22:01
Mad Laughter
Account deleted
On the contrary, back when I was new to metal I would have sucked dick for a massive jackpot list like that when searching for bands. Of course, that was when I was hungry for anything I could get my hands on....I can see however that when looking for something particular you wouldn't want a long list containing every imaginable thrash band....true, I did provide one as well, but before it I provided a few death/thrash and black/thrash bands that I thought might be of help, or at least of interest, and that was the meat of my post.
05.11.2007 - 22:23
rageing atheist
Account deleted
I don't think that these kind of long lists without any descriptions are what he wanted, I don't think there's any point in listing all thrash bands you like, I think he wanted bands that really stand out, not some merely "they're pretty good" kind of stuff, but the best and most unique bands.

Ok, now my reccomendations for Dr.Rock
Everything that I'd mention has aleady been mentioned except for Voivod, and since you're Canadian you've probably heard them, so I'll skip Voivod.
Ok, I'll try to give some brief descriptions of some of the bands I like that have been mentioned here already (also I'll skip too well-known bands that I find very good, like Exodus, Kreator, Sepultura etc. as you probably don't need any descriptions for them):

Coroner-technical thrash from Switzerland, they were very skilled musicians and also a very original band.

Toxik-progressive thrash from US,also very skilled musicians, though the vocalists on both of their records might put you off.

Sabbat-pagan thrash from UK, also a very original band with very good lyrics (especially for a thrash band) and more aggressive style than most of their contemporaries.

Absu-black thrash (or self-proclaimed "mythological occult metal"), had some folk influences and lyrics dealing with celtic mythology, later they became pretty progressive and technical, also they had a killer drummer

Melechesh-black thrash band who relocated from Israel to Benelux, interesting lyrics dealing with Sumerian mythology, their music sounds often very Arabian or Mediterranean, the'yre also pretty melodic.

Celtic Frost- Ok, I know they're legendary and very well known and so on, but the reason I include them here is that they're too often left out in thrash discussions, probably because their music has been a pretty far cry from normal thrash bands of their age. Anyway, a fucking amazing band. Dark, epic, sorrowful and aggressive. P.s. I think that you should start with Morbid Tales or To Mega Therion in case of CF, as much as I've gathered about your musical tastes Into The Pandemonium or Monotheist would probably bore you to death (although I find them both to be amazing records).
05.11.2007 - 22:24
Mad Laughter
Account deleted
My head hurts too much to read that long ass post of yours....if I were the dude I would prefer a long list to that fucking novel lol
05.11.2007 - 22:28
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Oh yes, I have some difficulties with keeping my posts short and to the point. Still I think it could be more helpful for him than a list, as he pointed out that he'd like some descriptions, and only a few of the posters have described the bands they've posted.
05.11.2007 - 22:46
Dr. Seuss
Account deleted
sorry but i have a life so i can't make a description for all the bands i've listed, just pick some names that you think are thrash metal enough for you and look them up on metal-archives, lol, i have most of the bands on my computer or as original and i recommend them all. if you think that such a list is usless, ha, you can't imagine how much i care about it.
05.11.2007 - 22:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 05.11.2007 at 22:46

sorry but i have a life so i can't make a description for all the bands i've listed, just pick some names that you think are thrash metal enough for you and look them up on metal-archives, lol, i have most of the bands on my computer or as original and i recommend them all. if you think that such a list is usless, ha, you can't imagine how much i care about it.

I had feeling I know you are you FU?
----

apos;'
[image]
05.11.2007 - 23:01
Dr. Seuss
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 05.11.2007 at 22:48

wow that was fast K7

I see you didn't change a bit. and that's good, cheers.

fu stands for fucked upstairs btw, for all the newcomers
05.11.2007 - 23:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 05.11.2007 at 23:01

Written by Bad English on 05.11.2007 at 22:48

wow that was fast K7

I see you didn't change a bit. and that's good, cheers.

fu stands for fucked upstairs btw, for all the newcomers

I know it was you, same like then , same bands and just I need look to thrash recomendations and I get its you
----

apos;'
[image]
06.11.2007 - 05:30
Zombie, M.D.

sorry but i have a life

Thats rich. How many times have you been banned from here and made up all sorts of absurd pseudonyms, identities and stories? Doesn't sound like someone with a life to me.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
06.11.2007 - 05:56
Fucked. Upstairs
Account deleted
Written by Zombie, M.D. on 06.11.2007 at 05:30

sorry but i have a life

Thats rich. How many times have you been banned from here and made up all sorts of absurd pseudonyms, identities and stories? Doesn't sound like someone with a life to me.

we all start young and dumb ^^
06.11.2007 - 12:12
DrunkenFuck
Thrasher!
I just discovered some fairly unknown thrash bands (at least from where I come from) which I think you should check out. The first one is Fueled By Fire (their record is called Spread The Fire), which is really, really fast, kinda like Slayer, but then again not really. The production isn't that good though, but it really dosen't matter.

The other one is Dekapitator, with their album called The Storm Before The Calm. Which is a bit slower than Fueled By Fire, more reminiscent of Metallica and Megadeth. The production is also a bit better than Spread The Fire.

Both albums are definately recommendable.
----
THRASH!!!
07.11.2007 - 00:18
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Lucas on 05.11.2007 at 21:57

Posting such a list is indeed pretty useless. Ever heard of a small description?

Thank you, I think some people dont realize I can look for lists on my own, like going on wikipedia or something to find those lists of bands I already know. The reason I started this thread is hopefully find some obscure off the wall thrash with short descriptions (yes some posts have actually been helpful) but posting a big list of names does not help me in the slightest.

Written by Guest on 05.11.2007 at 22:23

I don't think that these kind of long lists without any descriptions are what he wanted, I don't think there's any point in listing all thrash bands you like, I think he wanted bands that really stand out, not some merely "they're pretty good" kind of stuff, but the best and most unique bands.

You are 100% correct here, thank you. But yeah I already saw Melechesh live and I like them, But I checked out Absu from your description and Ill definitly be buying an album of theres soon, thanks for the help!
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
18.11.2007 - 07:42
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
If you appreciate good guitars, a band you can check out is Artillery. They're one of the few Thrash bands from Denmark but man they're awsome, so definetly check them out if you like nice, creative guitar work. The only downside is their vocals, which are ok/good-ish, but they don't reflect the awsome riffs. Here's a pretty good song by them that you can check out if you wish. >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glvUt4NC6Tc

If you like Death Thrash type stuff, the best choice to check out is Dew-Scented. They're fast, loud, agressive and they make me want to headbang lol. They have no real downside as musicians, but as writers they could be a little more creative. My favourite part of Dew-Scented is definetly the drums. Here's a song by them. >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzVOXU2p2_Q

Some other bands you can check out are Heathen and Agent Steel. They're American Thrash that never really got the recognition they deserved because people were so obsessed with the big four of Thrash as well as Exodus, Testament, ect. Both these bands are just good old school Thrash that you could try out, but Heathens only good album was their debut IMO.

Heathen >>>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj6llc4FrgU

Agent Steel >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWkUxl8V4uY&feature=related (My bad, couldn't find a music video by them lol)

I also have a long ass list if you'd like to see that . P.S. I know those bands aren't too obscure, so if you know them, my bad.
04.01.2010 - 15:43
Aristarchos
My favourite thrash bands are (later) Deceased (thrash/death/heavy) and (early) Pestilence (thrash/death)
05.01.2010 - 14:12
TheOwl
Cryptic Slaughter
Darkness
14.01.2010 - 17:13
BudDa
Elite
You could also check out Blood Tsunami's latest offering Grand Feast For Vultures.(Death/Thrash) The songs are of long duration though but if u don't mind that and u are abit patience with it..it finally sticks.
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
20.01.2010 - 23:51
SerratedSyringe
I find most thrash pretty borring as well, however I do like some blackened thrash like Skeletonwitch and Zimmers Hole. If you haven't already, you might want to check out those two bands. Both are very fast tempo and fairly catchy.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
25.01.2010 - 04:24
Conemetal
Written by Guest on 03.11.2007 at 20:31

To add something a little more, I really dig thrash fusion genres, like....

death/thrash!!!! You'll love the shit....

Bands like:
Protector
Demolition Hammer
Morbid Saint
Possessed

Black/thrash is also sweet, bands like:
Absu
Toxic Holocaust
Destroyer 666 (overrated IMO but still pretty good I guess)
Witchery
Necrodeath
Gospel of the Horns

.....and if you're not into that, which I can't imagine why you wouldn't be, just go for normal thrash I guess, and if you want a list of good normal thrash, here:

Annihilator
Onslaught
Slayer
Kreator
Sodom
Destruction
Nocturnal
Tankard
Overkill
Nuclear Assault
early Anthrax
early Sepultura
Megadeth
Forbidden
Testament
Exodus (with Zetro, fuck Paul Ballof he sucks)
Whiplash
Sadus
Coroner
Vio-Lence
Razor
Artillery
Heathen

Have fun....

What a great list
I want to recommend a great Brazilian thrash band, Violator
----
MUCH I LEARNED FROM MY TEACHERS,
MORE FROM MY COLLEAGUES, BUT I HAVE LEARNED THE MOST FROM MY DISCIPLES
25.01.2010 - 04:57
Culty
I suggest the russian thrash band called Мастер. Though it think its gonna be rather hard to find their CDs.
----
Gfnttlr
25.01.2010 - 09:57
Mikyz
You should check Vektor, they play some kind of extreme thrash metal with pretty unique vocals, they debuted in 2009 with the album Black Future.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
25.01.2010 - 14:14
His Eminence
Account deleted
I don't know if you've already heard of them, but the Lightning Swords of Death are a black metal band with lots of thrashy moments. They only have one album out currently, the Golden Plague, but it's pretty good. Their next album is set to be released on March 30th of this year.
27.01.2010 - 07:38
Necromansy
I was kinda lazy as in to read all the replies of recommendations...
So I listed some of my own.

Blood Feast
Coven
Hypnosia ( Kreator influenced )
Atrophy
Helstar
Xentrix
Indestroy
Rigor Mortis
Assassin
Dark Angel

and of course some
1990's Metallica hahaha I kid I kid.
----
Innocence has a power evil cannot imagine
27.01.2010 - 14:41
BudDa
Elite
Written by Mikyz on 25.01.2010 at 09:57

You should check Vektor, they play some kind of extreme thrash metal with pretty unique vocals, they debuted in 2009 with the album Black Future.

I second that. Vektor vocals are pretty unique(lol). U might not like them but if u can get past them then Black Future is a gem
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.