Metal Storm logo
Nevermore - Warrel Dane Passes Away Of Heart Attack

Terrible news surfaced today for Nevermore and Sanctuary fans as singer Warrel Dane has reportedly passed away in Brazil, according to Brazilian news source UOL. He also had a solo career and was in fact working on a new solo album. He was only 56 years old. Warrel Dane possessed a unique voice, penned thought-provoking lyrics and his music will live on. Rest in peace...

According to UOL, Warrel was in São Paulo, Brazil creating his second solo album, Shadow Work. Solo band member Johnny Moraes tells UOL: "He died in the night, he had a heart attack. He was in the flat where he stayed for the recording of the album when it happened. I got to do cardiac massage, we called the SAMU (Brazilian ambulance) who arrived very fast, but when they arrived he was already dead."

Moraes continues: "His health was already very weak because of his diabetes and his problems with alcoholism. He was already facing a lot of health problems... The record was almost finished and we started to record the voice. The musicians are already thinking about how to use the material for a posthumous tribute. Maybe we can count on guests, but there's nothing official yet."

Photo: E. Straver/T. Martijn

Sanctuary already reacted to the shocking news via Facebook: "Today I wake up to the news that Warrel Dane has died. I don't even know what to say. My friend, brother and musical companion for over 30 years has passed away. I'm in total shock right now. I'm sorry for any close family or friends that had to hear the news on Facebook."

"The memories will be there for you
To give you peace of mind
And when there's nothing more left to gain
And no risks left worth taking
The memories will be true to you...
In memory, in memory...
Memory is alive
"

"In Memory" from the Nevermore In Memory EP

Source: noticias.bol.uol.com.br
Band profile: Nevermore
Posted: 13.12.2017 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 67   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 493 users
13.12.2017 - 18:09
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Terrible news. Blasting This Godless Endeavor right now.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
13.12.2017 - 18:10
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Sorry I couldn't do a better job with this news piece... This is too close to my heart.

I'm a huge Nevermore fan and I'm literally crying.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
13.12.2017 - 18:25
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
HOLY SHIT. I don't even know what to say. The guy was one of my favorite singers of all time and one of the warmest and most gentle human beings I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. After all he went through, everything he achieved, and the sacrifices he had to make, this is how he dies?

I'm close to tears right now.
----
13.12.2017 - 18:30
Khold Baroness
Rest in peace metal brother 🎩💙
13.12.2017 - 18:33
nikarg
Staff
Written by BloodTears on 13.12.2017 at 18:10

Sorry I couldn't do a better job with this news piece... This is too close to my heart.

I'm a huge Nevermore fan and I'm literally crying.

I tried to post it too, but couldn't go through with it... RIP
13.12.2017 - 18:52
OpenMind
RIP
13.12.2017 - 19:09
Stormm
Unmistakable voice. Great loss. Never more Nevermore.
13.12.2017 - 19:12
Jack_Torrance
RIP
13.12.2017 - 19:27
♱ RaVeN ♱
One of the best voices in metal, what a loss! He will be missed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp8zbNH24uU
13.12.2017 - 19:31
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by ♱ RaVeN ♱ on 13.12.2017 at 19:27

One of the best voices in metal, what a loss! He will be missed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp8zbNH24uU

when I talked to him in 2011, he told me that Dreaming Neon Black was his fave Nevermore album (probably because it's so personal for him to begin with)
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
13.12.2017 - 19:35
Cobalto
Great voice he had. will be missed. RIP
13.12.2017 - 19:43
Jagsey
This comes as a shock..... R.I.P. Dane... you will be sorely missed!
13.12.2017 - 19:44
Necrodamus
An incredible shame. Huge Nevermore fan, his vocals made the band so unique. RIP.
13.12.2017 - 19:58
Baz Anderson
Staff
A great loss.
13.12.2017 - 20:00
bitethepain
R.I.P. Warrel Dane. One of my favorite metal vocalist. He was so unique. No one else sounded like him. And his lyrics really touched me.
13.12.2017 - 20:33
Sangre Sani
SHIT :/
13.12.2017 - 20:41
skelator
Never liked Nevermore, but thats sad news...RIP
----
Best Metal Albums of 2023: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9jaZJRBeBw

Best Metal Demos: www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HtsgSQjV44
13.12.2017 - 20:50
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
Never got to see you live in any form. Now forever a burden on my part. Nevermore were one of my favourite bands growing as a teenager, I was memorized by his powerful vocals followed by what I thought were some of the most virtuosic, crunching, heaviest guitars at my knowledge at the time. Quoth the raven, RIP.
----
I may not have the largest collection but I certainly have the absolute best

13.12.2017 - 21:05
Holy fuck this seams surreal. RIP for another great musician
13.12.2017 - 21:19
Lanthros
This hurts bad. Dreaming Neon Blafk is an all time masterpiece that touched me in ways i could never describe. I count myself lucky that i was able to see and meet Nevermore several years ago.
13.12.2017 - 21:38
erat
I woke up, just saw this and i'm shocked... A great loss... I got to see him perform Dead Heart In A Dead World album live in Istanbul two years ago with one of my best friends, still feels like yesterday.

The stage is empty now... Rest in piece Dane.
----
Sick liaisons raised this monumental mark,
The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park!
13.12.2017 - 21:47
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
This totally surprised me. He's one of the last metallers I would've thought would die so young, I always envisioned him as a hearty grandpa still touring and performing onstage into his 70s. RIP dude, truly a loss
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
13.12.2017 - 21:47
fenchik
R.I.P Warrel. Love his voice! Dead heart in a dead world is a fantastic album! :-( ..Sad day for music...
13.12.2017 - 22:05
Kvothe
Literally "Dead Heart In A Dead World". You will always be remembered Dane.
----
Here, waiting very quiet right in front Valaritas, the door that hides the tomb.
13.12.2017 - 22:07
Mort.
Account deleted
Another metalhead passed away. Justin Bieber, and all those twerking shitty 'murican shit shall die, not metalheads
13.12.2017 - 22:13
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Sad news. Might want to change his age of death though to 48 years old... He was born in 69'
13.12.2017 - 22:24
VIG
Account deleted
R.I.P. Listening to This Godless Endeavor and then going to play Into The Mirror Black. Honestly, I never loved his vocals, but the bands he was in wrote really good music.
13.12.2017 - 23:30
Yossarian
F+ck . I was a great fan of him since Sanctuary debut. r.i.p. q.d.e.p.
14.12.2017 - 00:01
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
While given that I met him, and have know about his long history of drugs and alcohol abuse, I am not surprised a bit by this sad news. I am however very saddened, I had a chance to see him twice with Nevermore, once with Sanctuary and once on his solo tour. He had a really good and unique voice, and if you put his substance abuse aside, was very respectful towards his fans. May he Rest in Peace...
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
14.12.2017 - 00:01
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Never been a huge fan of Nevermore and Sanctuary, although I admittedly liked some songs, but this guy died way too young. This news didn't fall well once I returned from work. RIP

Hits total: 10863 | This month: 44