05. Methuselah
06. This Is Your Life
07. Gulag
08. Middle Aged Man
09. Total Collapse
10. Summer

Featured In "Getting Into: Devin Townsend: Part III: The 2010s"

Additional info
Produced, engineered and mixed by Devin Townsend. Co-produced by Mike Keneally. Co-mixed by Troy Glessner and Adam "Nolly" Getgood. Mastered by Troy Glessner.

Staff review by
RaduP
Rating:
N/A
Finally free of all artistic constraints once more, Devin Townsend makes just the album he wanted to make.

Read more ››
published 30.03.2019 | Comments (7)

Guest review by
omne metallum
Rating:
How do you try to describe something that in many other contexts could serve as evidence to certify someone insane? Simply put, you don't. You strap yourself in and let yourself be taken on a journey with many twists, jumps and unexpected turns whilst you hold on for dear life. Devin Townsend here, sheds himself of the project that he has called home for a decade and embarks on an effort that marks his first solo venture since Ziltoid 2.

Read more ››
published 12.04.2020 | Comments (1)

Found in 43 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 46   Visited by: 964 users
18.01.2019 - 14:16
Rating: 9
andreosokin
SOUNDERY
I psyched and preordered the deluxe edition with the cat t-shirt
24.02.2019 - 09:01
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Heaviest track he's done since Deconstruction any maybe even heavier than that and SYL at times. All thanks to having the Decrepit Birth drummer behind the kit.

14.03.2019 - 08:53
TheBigRossowski
Dude, that song is pretty intense on different levels, man.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
29.03.2019 - 17:40
tiny dog ghosts
I like it but I think it suffers a bit for the chaos. Maybe on repeated listens it'll grow on me more. Still a great effort though.
29.03.2019 - 19:12
Crème fraiche
Tried to listen to this at work, it was too much to handle while trying to concentrate on work haha. I'll have to spin this bad boy when I have time to actually listen to it :3
29.03.2019 - 19:42
SoUnDs LiKe PoP
Obviously this will take a few listens, but after my first listen...

Meh.

It may put me in the minority of DT fans, but "Transcendence" was the first DT album that really "clicked" with me. Killer atmosphere, killer melodies. "Empath," on the other hand, sounds like a collection of "Transcendence" B-sides with random sound clips inserted into them. Sorry, but a song being long, weird, and random is not enough to make me go "wow." In fact, all it really does is annoy me, because then I feel like I have to skip through 80% of the song just to get to the parts that I enjoy (which there are a number of).

I'll give it a few more spins, but so far it's looking like a 7.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
29.03.2019 - 20:51
Rating: 7
musclassia
Staff
Written by Crème fraiche on 29.03.2019 at 19:12

Tried to listen to this at work, it was too much to handle while trying to concentrate on work haha. I'll have to spin this bad boy when I have time to actually listen to it :3

Yeah I tried to listen to it at work and honestly found it a bit of a chore to deal with so much stuff going on at once. Maybe I'll prefer it when I've got more time to listen to it, but wasn't enamored by the first listen
30.03.2019 - 00:34
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Not as out there as Deconstruction or as catchy as Addicted, the two albums it closely evokes styles from.

Best tracks are Genesis, Hear Me - the most metal and blast beat heavy track here and Borderlands - the most catchy and memorable one here.

Sprite is also pretty fun.
30.03.2019 - 15:00
MetalManic
The choral and orchestral arrangement are his best ever. This one really has big flashes of Ocean Machine (Live) which is a swirl of emotions.
31.03.2019 - 00:37
Necrodamus
Wow. Just when you think Devin has done it all in his own flavor and style, he goes and makes this insanity. I'll need a few more listens to come up with a rating, but it's safe to say this is one of his most interesting and varied albums to date. Hard to imagine he will make anything this crazy again. But then he probably will.
31.03.2019 - 03:33
Rating: 10
Lord Slothrop
Batshit fucking crazy and I love it.
31.03.2019 - 11:58
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
I guess my cat doesn't like this one. Put it on and she walks out of the room after a minute. Usually she'll spend most of the day on the floor here.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
01.04.2019 - 12:21
HyperDrifter
I can't stop listening to this, a great mix of light and heavy Devin!
01.04.2019 - 13:50
Rating: 8
nonZero
What a peculiar album.

I wonder what a collaboration between Townsend and Mike Patton would sound like...
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
01.04.2019 - 21:54
Byners
An YouTube comment couldn't be more right:

"Friend: So this Devin Townsend...He's what? Metal? Jazz? Funk? Ambient? Random Cat Noises? Speed Metal?
Me: Yes."
----
"Seize the day or die regretting the time you lost..."
02.04.2019 - 13:11
Mehdi Taba
Mehdi Taba
Best Devin Townsend album ever!!!
If you like his music, don't hesitate to hear it.
8.6/10
05.04.2019 - 23:51
Nick Carter
Another progressive album that tries to be so progressive that it loses cohesion. Sounds too pretentious for my simple mind.
----
#MetalIsForEveryone
06.04.2019 - 12:25
Rating: 3
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
It'd be great if he just made a classical music album. Instead he offers this stuff.
08.04.2019 - 13:42
Rating: 5
RopsterKraws
I really struggled listening to this. Even still, I listened to it a few times to see if it would grow on me. I will now forget that this album exists so I can quit enduring the pain of attempting to enjoy it.
10.04.2019 - 14:10
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Reminds me a lot of Deconstruction. Same sort of song structure and stylings. Deconstruction through Sky blue's filter, perhaps?
Oh, and on my earlier comment, it seems my cat prefers the 2nd disc over the main one.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
11.04.2019 - 06:21
Joe Zombie
As much as I love me some Devin Townsend I'm not really feeling this one. Shame.
19.04.2019 - 22:35
Crème fraiche
Written by Nick Carter on 05.04.2019 at 23:51

Another progressive album that tries to be so progressive that it loses cohesion. Sounds too pretentious for my simple mind.

I feel ya brother.
23.04.2019 - 07:32
Unhealer
Eclecticist
The first four tracks are fantastic, but from there... just bits and pieces. I can't help but lose interest from that point on.
26.04.2019 - 16:36
busodeLcueo
It keeps getting better each time I listen to it, it started as a solid 7 and now it's close to 10, I can't remember the last time I felt so happy while listening to an album.
18.05.2019 - 00:08
Rating: 5
AndreMarcos
Being progressive (and weird) for the sake of being progressive ... also it doesn't help that the album has no cohesion and seems go on all directions all the time.
03.06.2019 - 18:48
Rating: 8
MyNameJeff
We NEED weird prog like this and ONLY Devin can deliver it. It's not pretentious because it works. People call this pretentious yet they probably listen to corny black metal, pretentious thrash and other cheesy power metal bands but those aren't pretentious... because only those snobby prog fans can be pretentious!
Unparalleled execution and love for the music. Devin is one of the most creative forces in metal and rock music.
03.06.2019 - 23:03
Zap
I like corny black metal, but I don't think this is pretentious. I think it's garbage.
03.06.2019 - 23:27
Mercurial
It's there even such a thing as pretentious thrash? It's like the most meat and potatoes subgenre,
09.06.2019 - 07:55
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Mercurial on 03.06.2019 at 23:27

It's there even such a thing as pretentious thrash? It's like the most meat and potatoes subgenre,

Vektor could fit into that description, no?
09.06.2019 - 08:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Unhealer on 09.06.2019 at 07:55

Written by Mercurial on 03.06.2019 at 23:27

Vektor could fit into that description, no?

Not really since they are more or less ripping off Voi Vod.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 14265 | This month: 58